Outgoing? SANDER BERGE ON WAY OUT ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Berge has a far better skillset than Phillips and a higher ceiling. He's also more adaptable. If we're pricing plays by ability then Phillips is a rip off at that price, or Sander Berge is an absolute bargain.
By adaptable do you mean unable to play in his preferred position because he's not as good as Oliver Norwood?

Berge has a far better skillset than Phillips and a higher ceiling. He's also more adaptable. If we're pricing plays by ability then Phillips is a rip off at that price, or Sander Berge is an absolute bargain.
Oh no, it's his intimidating height thing again. He needs that high ceiling or else he'd keep bumping his head on it.

Phillips and Berge have played roughly the same amount of PL games. Berge is also an established international. Berge has played Champions League football, Phillips hasn’t. Berge is also younger than Phillips and has better technique (in my opinion). In what land are we living that Phillips is worth twice as much?

Don't waste your time mate
He plays for us, and if he plays for us he can't possibly be as good as anybody else.

It's a bit like saying George Best was shit because he never won the World Cup with Northern Ireland.

And people wonder why our boardrooms have been able to undersell for generations

By adaptable do you mean unable to play in his preferred position because he's not as good as Oliver Norwood?

He's a lot better than Oliver Norwood and can play all over a midfielder. I don't remember him ever playing in his "preferred" position for United (by that I assume you mean the position he played most regularly before he came here?). If you do, it isn't the same position that Norwood plays. If you're offering me Norwood, Phillips or Berge I'd take Berge every day and twice on Sundays.

He's a lot better than Oliver Norwood and can play all over a midfielder. I don't remember him ever playing in his "preferred" position for United (by that I assume you mean the position he played most regularly before he came here?). If you do, it isn't the same position that Norwood plays. If you're offering me Norwood, Phillips or Berge I'd take Berge every day and twice on Sundays.

Exactly
Anybody looking at him playing for Genk could see immediately that he was a midfielder who liked to play in an advanced role

We've had him playing either five yards in front of the Centre Halves or as a wing back for 90% of his time here.

Typical United, sign a big strong bloke, then criticise him because he's not a combination of Chris Morgan and Trevor Hockey

Criminal waste of talent

Didn’t we recently post profits of £9.5m for the last financial year? We seem to announce new sponsorship deals every week, we’ve sold over 20,000 season tickets and just offloaded 9 players including moose, McG, Freeman & Burke to save what? £350-400k a month in wages? So, what gap?

The financial year was our second season in the PL where we made an operating profit of £9m but incurred a debt of £45m. The key point is that our TV income fell from £100m to around £45m. The cut in wages will have covered some of that, quite a bit of it, I’d hope but until last season’s accounts are issued we won’t know exactly how much.
We benefited from having supporters back in the ground but unfortunately lost some of that in having to pay off Slav and his team.
Any overall shortfall and the cost of bringing in the loan players and Guediora will have been covered by the sale of Ramsdale.
This season we’ll take a hit of around £10m to our parachute payments. As you’ve said, a lot of this will be covered by getting the likes of Mouse, Freeman etc off the books. We can now add Burke to that and we might have even got a small fee.

My take is that there is likely to be a shortfall between our total expenses and our total income, the extent of which will be dependent on how much we’re reducing our debts by (because we’ll struggle to service any debts if we don’t go up and the parachute payments stop). I think that, in order to bring players in, we’ll probably have to sell a player for a reasonable amount, £10m+. That’s most likely to be Berge.

For the record, I’d rather we didn’t. He’s a good player but in my head, I’m resigned to him going.

KP - 49 games
SB - 29 games

Around twice as many minutes

KP plays for the runners up country in the European Championships.

SB plays for a country which failed to qualify

KP was one of the best players in the Championship, and younger than SB, when Leeds got promoted.

SB was one of our best players when we failed to get promoted from the Championship.

KP is English

It's laughable to think SB is worth anything like KP.
There’s a lot here that falls apart under even mild scrutiny, but i can recognise when a debate would be pointless. I have a different opinion, which I think has some decent evidence to support it. No doubt, you feel the same 👍

There’s a lot here that falls apart under even mild scrutiny, but i can recognise when a debate would be pointless. I have a different opinion, which I think has some decent evidence to support it. No doubt, you feel the same 👍
You said they'd played the same amount of EPL games. Which is a lie, Boris.

The rest is debatable.

Dunno why Man City signed Haaland Norway didn't make it to the world cup should have signed Danny Ings he's English.
I was gonna say the same! The Phillips justification as to why he went for nearly twice what’s touted for Berge is at least half down to his England appearances and the less said about those the better.

So, given the player we lack the most is a DMC, you'd rather have Berge than Phillips? Phillips who has 23 England caps? Who bossed the Championship last time he played in it?

Really?

You said they'd played the same amount of EPL games. Which is a lie, Boris.

The rest is debatable.
I said roughly. Apologies for a whopping 20 game swing. Neither has 50 games in the PL. What about everything else? Champions League football? Shall we review number of goals? Assists? Passing Accuracy? How about tackling success to make it fair? Spoiler alert. Berge is better…

I said roughly. Apologies for a whopping 20 game swing. Neither has 50 games in the PL. What about everything else? Champions League football? Shall we review number of goals? Assists? Passing Accuracy? How about tackling success to make it fair? Spoiler alert. Berge is better…
Course he is. And Billy is better than Kane.

So, given the player we lack the most is a DMC, you'd rather have Berge than Phillips? Phillips who has 23 England caps? Who bossed the Championship last time he played in it?

Really?

I don't agree that we lack that player most - we don't really play with one? Even if I did (or we changed shape) I think those players are far more attainable than players with Berge's skill set - particularly below the upper echelons of the Premier League. It's only really the top players in that position that are harder to get and much more expensive.

The financial year was our second season in the PL where we made an operating profit of £9m but incurred a debt of £45m. The key point is that our TV income fell from £100m to around £45m. The cut in wages will have covered some of that, quite a bit of it, I’d hope but until last season’s accounts are issued we won’t know exactly how much.
We benefited from having supporters back in the ground but unfortunately lost some of that in having to pay off Slav and his team.
Any overall shortfall and the cost of bringing in the loan players and Guediora will have been covered by the sale of Ramsdale.
This season we’ll take a hit of around £10m to our parachute payments. As you’ve said, a lot of this will be covered by getting the likes of Mouse, Freeman etc off the books. We can now add Burke to that and we might have even got a small fee.

My take is that there is likely to be a shortfall between our total expenses and our total income, the extent of which will be dependent on how much we’re reducing our debts by (because we’ll struggle to service any debts if we don’t go up and the parachute payments stop). I think that, in order to bring players in, we’ll probably have to sell a player for a reasonable amount, £10m+. That’s most likely to be Berge.

For the record, I’d rather we didn’t. He’s a good player but in my head, I’m resigned to him going.
Our TV income fell to £45m last season. It was £100m in the last season in the Prem.

Sander Berge appears to have become one of the best midfielders in the world over the summer break. He wasn't even our best midfielder last season. We are, I know this hard to take, playing at a club in the Championship.

I'd love to know where this Sander was last season. He was ok with some great spurts but also sometimes AWOL. Often caught on the ball and defensively questionable.

If he plays great every game he would be a good EPL midfielder. As long as he was in a team which dominates possession.

Some people seem to think he's magically become Kevin Du Bruyne

Thank Christ for this mate, I thought I'd accidentally wandered into a parallel dimension. People on the Shoutbox yesterday were just repeating the phrase "Sander Berge is the best player in the division". Well he wasn't even our best player last season, and we finished 5th. Presumably he's found the Power Sword in the last few weeks that transforms him into the all-dominating promotion-guaranteeing worth-at-least-£40M player everyone else seems to be sure he is.

Hear a lot about piganomics but we don't discuss bladeanomics enough! He's not worth £20m I would take £10m and easily replace him with 2 better players (yeah that would be easy) followed next day by no ambition and always sell our best. If the club get a value they think is fair he will go as would any player, the skill is lining up a replacement in advance.

Thank Christ for this mate, I thought I'd accidentally wandered into a parallel dimension. People on the Shoutbox yesterday were just repeating the phrase "Sander Berge is the best player in the division". Well he wasn't even our best player last season, and we finished 5th. Presumably he's found the Power Sword in the last few weeks that transforms him into the all-dominating promotion-guaranteeing worth-at-least-£40M player everyone else seems to be sure he is.

I see the argument about potential and technical ability, but there are women footballers with better technical ability than most of our players. It doesn't necessarily equate to success.

In 2.5 seasons in England, Berge has not demonstrated that he can be a top EPL player. He did not boss the English second division. He's 24 now. He will improve. But any team buying him is still paying for potential. Not for a player who can just walk into their team and be a success.

We're a Championship team. Thinking we can get our money back for a player who we bought in the EPL but has not impressed in the EPL, is deluded. He played in the Champions League before we signed him. He's not played in the Champions League for 2.5 years.

He's also had a bad injury and not fully demonstrated he's over it.

Given the lack of interest in signing him since we went down, I suggest most scouts have a different assessment to some of our fans.

We'll get £10 million plus, but less than £20 million. How high that figure is will depend on who wants him. It was Italian teams with no money last year, it's a German team with no money now. Has anyone at Leeds said they're actually interested?

I don't agree that we lack that player most - we don't really play with one? Even if I did (or we changed shape) I think those players are far more attainable than players with Berge's skill set - particularly below the upper echelons of the Premier League. It's only really the top players in that position that are harder to get and much more expensive.

I agree with much of that but we do lack a midfielder who can tackle, quite obviously. I'd argue that if Phillips was in our side last season, instead of Berge, we'd not have done worse, probably better. less going forward, but much better protection for the defence. We could also, potentially, have played Ndiaye as AMC. The fact we tried to sign Ronaldo Viera last season would back up the fact we would ideally want a midfielder with those kind of attributes.

I dont get it, surely it's quite simple?,

Does he want to play for UTD, yes or no?
If yes, do our best to keep him unless his release clause is met.

If no, set a price your willing to accept, book a taxi, and tell the driver "He will pay when you get there pal" and slam the door.

I thought that’s what I’d said.
"The financial year was our second season in the PL where we made an operating profit of £9m but incurred a debt of £45m. The key point is that our TV income fell from £100m to around £45m."

"The financial year was our second season in the PL where we made an operating profit of £9m but incurred a debt of £45m. The key point is that our TV income fell from £100m to around £45m."
Yeah I probably should have put “on relegation” but as that was the subject of discussion I thought it was obvious, even more so when you click on the link I provided. I’ve got Covid and I can’t really be arsed to keep going through this, it makes fuck all difference what I say anyway, what will happen, will happen.

Yeah I probably should have put “on relegation” but as that was the subject of discussion I thought it was obvious, even more so when you click on the link I provided. I’ve got Covid and I can’t really be arsed to keep going through this, it makes fuck all difference what I say anyway, what will happen, will happen.
I've been in bed with Covid since Wednesday so with you on that one!

It just won’t fuck off. I’m so fucking bored of it, I want to go out and have a drink in a bastard beer garden, not sit in the heat feeling like a human turd.
I managed to get in garden for a hour last night but had to put a jumper on! Watched Mrs demolish a g&t and a bottle of prosecco whilst I had a diet coke! Always looking at positives - I've lost a stone!

Can't help but think that Werder Bremen are playing the Henry Mauriss role in all this.

Just as I think Mauriss is little more than a vehicle to flush out any interested buyer for United, so WB have agreed to do the same thing for Berge after our recent chats with them.

This has probably been leaked early so Hecky knows if he can count on Berge or not and then find a suitable replacement if possible.
Henry mauriss

Back
Top Bottom