Reason for Sander’s exit

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

DavidBrooks

Reaction score
Most of us were scratching our heads when Sander side stepped to Burnley. I’ve seen a few on social media suggest there’s were underlying reasons why he wanted to leave the club. Anyone know what they were?

I was happy to believe that he wanted to play under Kompany, and that was that. But things haven’t turned out well for the lad so far.

My understandig is he was happy to stay till next year then move on, we "persuaded" him to go or he would be picking splinters out his arse he would be on bench that long. Whether its true or not 🤷

Reading between the lines it was a case of sign or leave. They tried to agree on a 1 year deal after he rejected a long term deal so we could still get a fee next season but then Burnley came calling.

Not sure who said/reported it but I think someone reported he has many different ways out included in his Burnley contract, probably ones we wouldn’t agree to.

He was happy to just see how things played out this season. Quite rightly we couldn't let him potentially leave on a free. So off to Burnley he went...m
As soon as he didn’t sign a new deal, his fate was sealed at United. Nice position for him to be in to run his contract down and see what happens, but no use to us. We had to get something for him whilst he had value

So in this respect DavidBrooks there was nothing baffling or head scratch worthy, it was simple business from a United point of view

Sander has made his bed, perhaps took a gamble and moved on. No ill feelings, he was a decent player overall.

Are we better off now with the likes of Hamer, yes I’d say so.

Whether there was anything else underlying, that’s probably secondary to the business of football and players being a commodity

As soon as he didn’t sign a new deal, his fate was sealed at United. Nice position for him to be in to run his contract down and see what happens, but no use to us. We had to get something for him whilst he had value

So in this respect DavidBrooks there was nothing baffling or head scratch worthy, it was simple business from a United point of view

Sander has made his bed, perhaps took a gamble and moved on. No ill feelings, he was a decent player overall.

Are we better off now with the likes of Hamer, yes I’d say so.

Whether there was anything else underlying, that’s probably secondary to the business of football and players being a commodity

I wonder if he will do the same at Burnley regarding his contract and have his national team manager still banging on about him playing for a better club.

My understandig is he was happy to stay till next year then move on, we "persuaded" him to go or he would be picking splinters out his arse he would be on bench that long. Whether its true or not 🤷
Interesting. Where exactly did you gleam this "understanding" from?

I wonder if he will do the same at Burnley regarding his contract and have his national team manager still banging on about him playing for a better club.
Hard to say, isn’t it. He’s definitely taken a gamble and id say he’s been influenced to look after his own interests, ignoring what the club has done for and with him during what could be described as a somewhat rocky time at United with lack of form, relegation, injury(ies) as well as finding form and gaining promotion all featuring during his time with us.

I’d hope that he treats the club in the proper way and he can get his bigger move… but so far I don’t see him being above a Sheffield United or a Burnley unless he develops further. It will depend on whether he can fulfil his potential in the English game

Interesting. Where exactly did you gleam this "understanding" from?
Talking to people about Sander Berge's transfer and then remembering what they told me. I thought gleam was when something had a bit of shine to it, so Iv told you how I heard the rumour as I dont know what you mean by how did I gleam lol.

Talking to people about Sander Berge's transfer and then remembering what they told me. I thought gleam was when something had a bit of shine to it, so Iv told you how I heard the rumour as I dont know what you mean by how did I gleam lol.
I'm just trying to establish if you were talking to people who would know, or if it's just made up gossip that you're repeating as knowledge or understanding.
The reason for that is that this rumour was doing the rounds and was flatly denied by the manager saying he decides who plays. If you've quality information suggesting he's lying then it's of interest.

I'm just trying to establish if you were talking to people who would know, or if it's just made up gossip that you're repeating as knowledge or understanding.
The reason for that is that this rumour was doing the rounds and was flatly denied by the manager saying he decides who plays. If you've quality information suggesting he's lying then it's of interest.
No mate just usual shite, heard from different people sameish rumour give or take, if you read my post I said I dont know whether its true or not. Using my understanding and then contradicting it later on in same post was silly but I promise to gleam better word using!

No mate just usual shite, heard from different people sameish rumour give or take, if you read my post I said I dont know whether its true or not. Using my understanding and then contradicting it later on in same post was silly but I promise to gleam better word using!
the sign off would have hit harder if you didn't put your own typo at the end.

I think Ndiaye & Berge saw our recruitment at the stage of sale and both thought these haven't got a chance staying up and I don't want to play championship football again. At the time it seemed like Burnley would be similar to Fulham and take the Premiership in their stride.

Berge suited our style of play, I can see why he'd struggle elsewhere. I used to think this about prime O'Connell, Norwood, Duffy our style of play complimented their skillset and helped get the best out of them. CDM Berge is far too slow in moving the ball and offers nothing going forward.

I was playing up to you thinking im thick because I dont use correct grammar or my spellings not best or whatever but depressingly you think Im that thick it went over your head 😔
Ah OK. Being thick is not something that I've suggested, or what I think. You were the one picking on a typo of glean and making a deal of it.
I suggest we move on.

I
I think Ndiaye & Berge saw our recruitment at the stage of sale and both thought these haven't got a chance staying up and I don't want to play championship football again. At the time it seemed like Burnley would be similar to Fulham and take the Premiership in their stride.

Berge suited our style of play, I can see why he'd struggle elsewhere. I used to think this about prime O'Connell, Norwood, Duffy our style of play complimented their skillset and helped get the best out of them. CDM Berge is far too slow in moving the ball and offers nothing going forward.
Id disagree with most of that. I don’t think Berge has ever suited us. I think we’ve slotted him in and he’s done his best but he’s not comfortable with box to box and putting his foot in or winning balls in the air.

Ndiaye made a choice to leave, for a personal dream. Berge didn’t intend to leave. This hasn’t been contested

Ah OK. Being thick is not something that I've suggested, or what I think. You were the one picking on a typo of glean and making a deal of it.
I suggest we move on.
Haha sorry I honestly only know that gleam means shine from car washes. I didnt know you had made a mistake and ment glean but now I know what glean means and that can only be a good thing I suppose.

I

Id disagree with most of that. I don’t think Berge has ever suited us. I think we’ve slotted him in and he’s done his best but he’s not comfortable with box to box and putting his foot in or winning balls in the air.

Ndiaye made a choice to leave, for a personal dream. Berge didn’t intend to leave. This hasn’t been contested
He's played his best football with us, he'd never scored many goals until he worked with Hecky & what made him appealing to other teams was his ability to drive the ball forward from that right hand side position, a position that is unique within our system. We all know that Berge sat within a two is completely ineffective. I don't see whats wrong about that?

The reason they left is subjective. The recruitment comment was just a thought, you could be right, I could be wrong. Its pretty much all speculation other than the facts Ndiaye loves Marseille but nearly signed a new deal with us until the last minute. Berge had no interest in signing a new deal & expressed a desire to explore Burnley according to Bettis.

Last edited:
My best guess is that Burnley offered Berge a long contract (5 years) which gives him financial security.

Also the chance to work with a (potentially) successful young manager.

Being nearer to his pal Haaland in Manchester may have been a factor also.

Back
Top Bottom