Souza vs Berge - A must

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score
I'm not going to sit and slate Berge.... because when he was on form and waltzing his way past opposition players, he was an absolute pleasure to watch.... the only problem for me being that is didn't happen frequent enough.

Sander however in my opinion is nesh and it's quite easy to knock him off his game.

Cue Souza.... it doesnt take much physicality to knock a gangly Sander off his perch, but Souza has it in his abundance. I feel this is a key battle... stifle sander and he will fall apart.

I'm not going to sit and slate Berge.... because when he was on form and waltzing his way past opposition players, he was an absolute pleasure to watch.... the only problem for me being that is didn't happen frequent enough.

Sander however in my opinion is nesh and it's quite easy to knock him off his game.

Cue Souza.... it doesnt take much physicality to knock a gangly Sander off his perch, but Souza has it in his abundance. I feel this is a key battle... stifle sander and he will fall apart.

Berge much better player imo, souza has been very poor so far, I would drop him tomorrow

Berge when he can be arsed, is a top end premier league player. The issue is his bottle and desire. When the going gets tough and against better teams, he goes missing.
He’s never going to be a combative all action box to box player as it just isn’t his game. The desire is what separates players at higher levels.
Oozes class at times but sadly goes missing for huge chunks of games that he has the ability to boss.
I was really not that arsed about him going in the end and I thought that Hamer would be more productive. Unfortunately for him he is played out of position which does make you wonder if Berge was also…

But he’s a much better footballer than Souza, although completely different in style

Last edited:

South Sea Blade won't be appeh

He’s never going to be a combative all action box to box player as it just isn’t his game. It’s what separates players at higher levels.

It is almost as if at higher levels there is the possibility to appreciate what a player can actually do and use him accordingly, rather than assume that you can mould someone into a theoretical greatest midfielder of all time and waste what you have accordingly

I rate Vini. I do. We haven’t seen the best of him but the raw ingredients are there.

But he’s no Sander Berge !

Truth of it is this. They would make a terrific CM pairing as they have complimentary attributes.

Shame 😔.

UTB

He did as well as we could have expected.

Only other possible response would have been to blame players individually and point out their individual and collective lack of skills to play at this level week in and week out…

Toledo

I rate Vini. I do. We haven’t seen the best of him but the raw ingredients are there.

Truth of it is this. They would make a terrific CM pairing as they have complimentary attributes.

Shame 😔.

UTB

Pick any of our players into team doing well would adapt.

“Souza has it in abundance”…Yeah, but nobody knows what it is yet.

Shame 😔.

UTB

They also have complimentary weaknesses and I find the idea that they would make an effective midfield pairing quite mystifying .

Either of them (most preferably Berge) with a Trevor Hockey type alongside just maybe , but together ?:eek:

I still can't get over the fact that Berge had so hard first touch and his running looked more that he was chasing loose ball
When he wasn't running (galloping) around the pitch he was hiding or standing with body language saying "Hmm.. naah.."

Best transfer for us this summer was selling him and even more at time he was unwilling to sign a new contract.
Our team has problems, but Sande Berge ain't answer to any of them.
I still rate him over Fleck and Norwood (kinda / at times)

We were a play off team without Berge last season. Enough said really. The season before we were in no man's land until his return to fitness. Hamer and Souza have both looked extremely poor signings thus far.

Sander Berge was a Rolls Royce that we cleaned and polished, but very rarely took out of the garage. Yes, he was a joy to watch sometimes, but he was also a luxury we couldn’t really afford. But in fairness, him and Vinícius Souza could have been good for each other. Souza desperately needs someone like Berge to give the ball to, whereas Berge always needed someone to get the ball for him…Sadly United have never been great at putting square pegs in square holes.

Berge will steam roll Souza today physically.

We wanted a 6ft 5 ball playing centre midfielder to go round smashing into people. That’s the Sheffield in us we would rather see a tackle than a pass.

But Berge will relish playing against Souza today. Souza will do a slide tackle and some fans will say yeah that’s good he’s so physical.

Funny how people see things differently, I would have said not getting knocked off the ball was one of Berge's strengths!
Completely agree. Berges "strength" was shielding the ball and not getting knocked off it. His weakness was his mobility over short distances and his tackling ability. He naturally wants to stand off, rather than engage. And he's terrible in the air given his size. The best way to get past and nullify him is with pace & quick movement (which we lack!!!).

The best game I can remember him playing was against Birmingham when he ran and ran at their defense. The only way they could stop him was to foul him, and take turns picking up a booking. The rough treatment actually seemed to make him more determined!!!

The problem is they are similar, in that they both have real (different) strengths, but don’t appear energetic enough for the English game.

Souza should be the defensive midfield shield in front of the centre halves. But he's repeatedly being pulled out of that position, like before Bournemouth's first goal:

1701505753812.png
1701506179744.png
* Notice him even keeping his eyes on "his" (backwards running) man, as they attack the space in front of our centre halves.

I can't tell if he's playing to instructions, or if he's just making bad decisions. In any case we have to do something about it. His position, role and instructions need to be clarified and simplified, and the whole midfield structure reorganised.

Are you drunk?

Berge has real premier league quality on the ball and in possession. Something we are really missing this season are players with that composure. Souza might be a bit better in the tackle but he’s slower, less positive, less composed, worse positionally and less progressive with the ball. Just being able to tackle people is an attribute that’s needed but i’m not convinced it’s a 10 million worth when packaged with all his limitations.

Souza can only claim to be better than berge in tackling. Apart from that Berge must win in almost every metric and in most by a large margin. We’ve stripped the team of composure, passing and creativity and not replaced them. Hecky & recruitment team are fucking idiots.

Souza is only part of the issue here. Our whole defensive shape is so poor. We’ve got all 11 players in that picture. To be fair they have 6 players forward in the bottom pic. (Btw we’d need an outbreak of Ebola in our half to get that many men forward.)

Our 3 centre halves plus Norwood/Hamer should be more than enough to cover their 3 most advanced players, even though Norwood and Hamer are already both the wrong side of their men. As is often the case no one takes responsibility for the run and we’re done by their movement. We seem incapable of adjusting our positioning to a side that has good movement and pace despite having spare men everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom