Outgoing? SANDER BERGE ON WAY OUT ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Do we have confirmation Burke went for free? I say this because in Hecky’s interviews he said we couldn’t finance the Anel deal in January but can now. Noticeably Burke was being touted round for sale in January but we couldn’t find a buyer but once he went this summer we had the money available for Anel.
Bettis confirmed nearly a month ago that we'd put a bid in for a player, so the Anel deal was already tabled long before Burke was sold.

Whatever

We haven’t replaced MGW or Berge yet despite the signings we have yet landed

Those saying they think we will be stronger based on where we are right now seem miles away

There's also very little way of replacing £40-50m of talent.

I've already made my feelings about Sander known on these pages, but surely it's clear as day that if we wish to maker a genuine attempt at promotion this time around we make sure that he's central to our tactical approach. Given the correct role we have a player who can excel and help us return to the Premiership. As much as I love watching the Blades secure a win I also get the same buzz from those moments of quality that a player such as Berger brings to his game, and isn't that what we all hope he'll deliver?

What's not to like about the guy? His media contributions are intelligent, he's respected by his team-mates, and he's savvy in everything he does on the pitch. Every so often we sign a player who is clearly a cut above those around him, need I say this applies to Berge in spades?

Wouldn't accept anything less than £25m and a decent sell on clause. Don't forget genk have got a sell on clause from us so anything around £22m we probably end up losing money overall.

The German clubs aren't short of a bob or two despite them pleading poverty compared to English clubs. Dortmund just spent nearly £30m on haller the other day.
That's Dortmund though. The 2nd biggest club in Germany.
Werder Bremen are newly promoted back to the Bundesliga. It's like Bournemouth or Fulham buying him

If we are putting promotion on Berges shoulders is he able to carry? Or could we do more consistent by selling Berge for 22M minimum and buy atleast 2 new players?

I think Berge is strength for us and our best midfielder, but do we enough needed quality around him?

United should be creative with Sander. Get him on a new deal with a lower release clause that becomes active at the end of the season if we aren't promoted. This will keep him sweet and incentivise him to keep smashing it as he's in the shop window.

What should be obvious to all Blades is that we aren't replacing him with similar quality and are likely selling our promotion hopes with him. Th only hope is that we can get maybe three players on permanent deals (not loans!) that can can themselves become big £ assets for the club and together make up for the lack of Berge on the pitch. This is an extremely rare occurence in SUFC's history.

Is 20 million enough? No chance, he's better than players going for three times that. More versatile too.

Last edited:
Didn’t we recently post profits of £9.5m for the last financial year? We seem to announce new sponsorship deals every week, we’ve sold over 20,000 season tickets and just offloaded 9 players including moose, McG, Freeman & Burke to save what? £350-400k a month in wages? So, what gap?

United had a modest wage bill for a relegated team anyway. If wages are a problem offloading players in late 20s/ 30s should be prioritised. Not our best players/biggest talents in their teens/twenties.

If we do sell him we need to recruit 3 quality players in midfield and attack with at least 2 permanents

Release clause is £35m..... so stump up the money.

With Berge we stand a good chance of top two, certainly top six.

Without him we are considerably weaker.

And where's the £22m figure come from? I doubt from the club, probably more likely on here.

FFS.

Keep him till at least Jan. The way we are training and how the squad is shaping up we are looking very strong for promotion. Anel is a similar pedigree to Berge and he is more than happy to play for us

Can't help but think that Werder Bremen are playing the Henry Mauriss role in all this.

Just as I think Mauriss is little more than a vehicle to flush out any interested buyer for United, so WB have agreed to do the same thing for Berge after our recent chats with them.

This has probably been leaked early so Hecky knows if he can count on Berge or not and then find a suitable replacement if possible.

Release clause is £35m..... so stump up the money.

With Berge we stand a good chance of top two, certainly top six.

Without him we are considerably weaker.

And where's the £22m figure come from? I doubt from the club, probably more likely on here.

FFS.
I dont want him to go unless it's for at least what we paid for him. However if Leeds let an established England international midfielder go to the richest club in the world for 42m in what land are we living to think we can get 35m for Berge ?

Can't help but think that Werder Bremen are playing the Henry Mauriss role in all this.

Just as I think Mauriss is little more than a vehicle to flush out any interested buyer for United, so WB have agreed to do the same thing for Berge after our recent chats with them.

This has probably been leaked early so Hecky knows if he can count on Berge or not and then find a suitable replacement if possible.
Werder Bremen definitely exist though so not quite the same

I dont want him to go unless it's for at least what we paid for him. However if Leeds let an established England international midfielder go to the richest club in the world for 42m in what land are we living to think we can get 35m for Berge ?

A very good point .

When talking about the relative value of players , it’s far too simplistic to quote the fees payed for those who’ve not gone on to justify the amount they cost whilst at the same time ignoring the ones who turned out to be relative bargains , of which there are many more .

As just one example of this , West Ham paid £18 million for Jarrod Bowen . If we were to stick out for Sander’s release clause of £35 million we would be valuing him at almost twice that figure .

Is that realistic ? I don’t think so .

At that moment he was a promising Championship player, never tested in the Prem, nor an international. Whereas Berge is. These are the fees that clubs are paying, crazy yes, but I think we should play as hard-ball as we can to get as much as we can.
Other clubs seem to do it. I think we are known for being a soft touch, subsequently being low-balled on fees, something that needs to change, so I'm with the club on being firmer.
I'd rather have him in the side tbh, need him to help a push for promotion.

Would love to know on what basis Berge's value should have increased in his time with us

He's no longer that young and he's been injured half the time

Money back would be great. But given the opportunity we now seem to have it might be wiser to resist

Phillips and Berge have played roughly the same amount of PL games. Berge is also an established international. Berge has played Champions League football, Phillips hasn’t. Berge is also younger than Phillips and has better technique (in my opinion). In what land are we living that Phillips is worth twice as much?

Phillips and Berge have played roughly the same amount of PL games. Berge is also an established international. Berge has played Champions League football, Phillips hasn’t. Berge is also younger than Phillips and has better technique (in my opinion). In what land are we living that Phillips is worth twice as much?

English player tax.
Maguire was never worth £80m
Grealish was never worth £100m
Ben White was never worth £50m

Sander Berge appears to have become one of the best midfielders in the world over the summer break. He wasn't even our best midfielder last season. We are, I know this hard to take, playing at a club in the Championship.

I'd love to know where this Sander was last season. He was ok with some great spurts but also sometimes AWOL. Often caught on the ball and defensively questionable.

If he plays great every game he would be a good EPL midfielder. As long as he was in a team which dominates possession.

Some people seem to think he's magically become Kevin Du Bruyne

English player tax.
Maguire was never worth £80m
Grealish was never worth £100m
Ben White was never worth £50m
Kalvin Phillips bought for £45mil
Sadie Mane bought for £34mil

On what planet is Phillips a better player than Mane?

Us getting £35mil for Berge in the Championship? Dream on. We'd be lucky to get £17mil, and if that was offered we'd be stupid not to take it. We could replace him and but two decent players with that money.

KP - 49 games
SB - 29 games

Around twice as many minutes

KP plays for the runners up country in the European Championships.

SB plays for a country which failed to qualify

KP was one of the best players in the Championship, and younger than SB, when Leeds got promoted.

SB was one of our best players when we failed to get promoted from the Championship.

KP is English

It's laughable to think SB is worth anything like KP.

Who bothered about who allegedly worth more , a player is worth what someone is prepared to pay nothing else matters.

Or what somebody is prepared to sell for. You'll always find buyers if you're giving something good away.

Last edited:

KP - 49 games
SB - 29 games

Around twice as many minutes

KP plays for the runners up country in the European Championships.

SB plays for a country which failed to qualify

KP was one of the best players in the Championship, and younger than SB, when Leeds got promoted.

SB was one of our best players when we failed to get promoted from the Championship.

KP is English

It's laughable to think SB is worth anything like KP.

Berge has a far better skillset than Phillips and a higher ceiling. He's also more adaptable. If we're pricing plays by ability then Phillips is a rip off at that price, or Sander Berge is an absolute bargain.

Kalvin Phillips bought for £45mil
Sadie Mane bought for £34mil

On what planet is Phillips a better player than Mane?

Us getting £35mil for Berge in the Championship? Dream on. We'd be lucky to get £17mil, and if that was offered we'd be stupid not to take it. We could replace him and but two decent players with that money.

In 1998 maybe.

Back
Top Bottom