Good or bad window?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Satisfied with incomings and outgoings?

• Dissatisfied with incomings?

Votes: 90 53.6%
  • Dissatisfied with outgoings?

Votes: 67 39.9%
  • Don’t think we’ve been told what business has been done yet?

Votes: 55 32.7%

• Total voters

Feels like a great window because of where we were at this time last week, but I think that's wrong.

Decentish window overall though, so glad we've got some more options in midfield. Left it way, way too late.

I read something earlier today (maybe in the Athletic) that some at Wolves consider Gibbs-Whites best position to be wide left so we may actually have one winger in the building.
He’s played most games as a number 10 for them though.

Not bad not great, still not a winger at the club, not enough pace/creativity.

Ndiaye is a winger isn't he? Been involved last couple of weeks. Big ask though for him to come in and do a job in the Championship.

If the deals really have fell through and there's no decent free agents then we are at least have a lot better options for playing 352 or a derivative and hopefully that can get us some swagger back.

When you log in to check the late pre-deadline signings and the only thing you can see is a loan deal for a 31 year old goalkeeper.

4a786c446734aa2bb13809cbcbb70def.gif

I'd say the signings we've made were needed but we're still short, so I wouldn't even call this an adequate window. I'm happy with who we've signed, but not happy that we didn't sign any wingers or at least one more midfielder before Adlene Guedioura, if indeed he is signing.

It shouldn't have been left this late into the transfer window, and it shouldn't have taken the new manager to challenge the board publicly for any signings to happen, so well done Slav for doing so.

My worry is that without Guedioura we're still going to have to play at least one of the underwhelming Berge, Fleck or Norwood. If we don't sign him and Hourihane or Gibbs White get injured or suspended then it's two of Berge, Fleck or Norwood, and we're back to square one.

In summary, good signings in who we brought in. Bad window in that we didn't sign enough. Relegated with parachute payments from two seasons in the top flight, no debts, the lowest wage bill in the top flight before relegation pay cut clauses kicked in, and all we have to show is four players on loan, two of whom were signed on the final day of the window.

Not good enough SUFC. It's still going to be a long season from where I'm sat unless Guedioura signs.

It was pretty clear what we needed, and although we've improved slightly, we haven't brought in what we were severely lacking.

We also put all our eggs in one basket and took the high-risk strategy of leaving everything til the very last minute.

In these respects, it's a bad window.

Imo poor window again. 4 loans non of which can be made permanent (know CH end of contract but no guarantee even if he did well he'd sign) 2 of loans players we've tried to get before. 1 solid but uninspiring gk and 1 young lad. No deadwood moved on and all exciting signings (even when being quoted as done deals for hours) mentioned never materialised due to any number of mysterious reasons. So disappointing just hope I'm wrong

Don't think I can vote because there's no "positive option"..

I think we've done all we can, and I also think we've made 3 good quality signings for "now" and they'll go straight into the first team... And won't be any burden to us come the start of next season as they're not on the books....

We've not made a great start, and by that we've made ourselves a less attractive proposition.. That has to be factored in.

Let's shake this lazy midfield up, and now all the talk of leaving from certain big name players who nobody came in for can stop.. And they can buckle up and get on with playing for the club they were happy to sign for..

The midfield looks far, far better than before the window and the keeper is a proper step up. We missed out on wingers which is disappointing but the midfield was the main thing we needed to upgrade and should see us at least have a chance of creating chances in a match.

A lot of transfers and deals get done at the last minute.

Clubs don't agree to move players on until they have secured replacements, I suspect lots of transfers depend on others.

HH

No doubt the signings are good quality, but the lack of wingers means we’re either playing Burke as one of the wide strikers or the old system which doesn’t seem to work. Bit worried with that.

Shoukd be enough to get us up the table. 👍

A lot of transfers and deals get done at the last minute.

Clubs don't agree to move players on until they have secured replacements, I suspect lots of transfers depend on others.

HH
I'd agree in terms of taking players on loan, but what's our excuse about not buying players from other clubs in this division? Where's the money gone? We haven't made a single bid for a player in this window.

I don't buy into it's all in the wages. When we were promoted we did so on the 4th lowest wage bill in the Championship. Even after offering some of the senior team new deals in our first season in the Premier League, our wage bill still shouldn't have been much more than the top sides in the Championship. We've got no debt and all the players took pay cuts on being relegated. So in my mind wages aren't the issue. Where have all the parachute payments gone?

No doubt the signings are good quality, but the lack of wingers means we’re either playing Burke as one of the wide strikers or the old system which doesn’t seem to work. Bit worried with that.

Shoukd be enough to get us up the table. 👍

MGW has been used as a wide player by Wolves mate, and is apparently quite comfortable out there, albeit not a natural winger.

Burke at least gives us pace, but I fear that his inevitable mistakes will now be met with further annoyance, due to the added frustration of the Collado balls up.

Beyond this, Freeman can play LM, as can Osborn, and we have Bogle on the right perhaps. Ndiaye could be the x factor.

Slav will find a formula I expect, but it could be all about (as you say) just getting up the table and then going all in for 2 wingers in January, for a late push.

Positives

I really like the players we have signed

The midfield has got a real kick up the arse

Negatives

All loan players so back to square one next summer

We didn’t refresh the losing mentality early enough ,hence playing catch up to Fulham and West Brom.

Having one deal fall through right at the end is bad .But three is an absolute joke and frankly alarming.

We didn’t offload enough of the deadwood

Still lacking attacking quality in the team, so we look at best a mid table side.

Very disappointing to be honest, hopefully Slav can work some magic.

I'd agree in terms of taking players on loan, but what's our excuse about not buying players from other clubs in this division? Where's the money gone? We haven't made a single bid for a player in this window.

I don't buy into it's all in the wages. When we were promoted we did so on the 4th lowest wage bill in the Championship. Even after offering some of the senior team new deals in our first season in the Premier League, our wage bill still shouldn't have been much more than the top sides in the Championship. We've got no debt and all the players took pay cuts on being relegated. So in my mind wages aren't the issue. Where have all the parachute payments gone?

Our wages were £77m first year in the Prem, second year can't have been that much less, we also spent over £100m on fees and paid £38m to McCabe for the ground.

Out of £250m-£300m we earned in the Prem, there's not a lot left, we spent it.

MGW has been used as a wide player by Wolves mate, and is apparently quite comfortable out there, albeit not a natural winger.

Burke at least gives us pace, but I fear that his inevitable mistakes will now be met with further annoyance, due to the added frustration of the Collado balls up.

Beyond this, Freeman can play LM, as can Osborn, and we have Bogle on the right perhaps. Ndiaye could be the x factor.

Slav will find a formula I expect, but it could be all about (as you say) just getting up the table and then going all in for 2 wingers in January, for a late push.

Not sold on a system change in January if I’m honest.

We didn’t offload enough of the deadwood

We didn't offload any deadwood. We sold Ramsdale, sold Smith and sent Jebbo out on loan. We couldn't even send Burke out on loan and we're stuck with that muppet until at least January.

I still think play offs and promotion are dead in the water, but I'm more optimistic about avoiding relegation and finishing around 12th -14th after today.

Not sold on a system change in January if I’m honest.

Maybe not a huge change, rather just replacing a couple of square pegs stuck in round holes, with round pegs.

We didn't offload any deadwood. We sold Ramsdale, sold Smith and sent Jebbo out on loan. We couldn't even send Burke out on loan and we're stuck with that muppet until at least January.

I still think play offs and promotion are dead in the water, but I'm more optimistic about avoiding relegation and finishing around 12th -14th after today.

And Lowe.

Agree though, could have done with shifting more, but honestly, who would want most of them?

Back
Top Bottom