Rate the window ?/10

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Better than the January window last time we were in the PL, which for me remains the single biggest kick in the bollocks this owner has inflicted on the club.

I think it's the transfer window of a club that knows its already relegated, which is fair enough... that said the only permanent signing looks lvery suspect so far
Hope price of next season tickets is reflective of the championship league we will be in?!

The Prince hung on to N’Diaye and Berge when he could have got more from selling them early
Surely that can't be held against him.
Holding onto both of those last season managed to get us promoted. If we didn't get promoted last season, where would we be?

I'd guess at mid table Championship, with no Anel, Hamer, Souza, Trusty etc. they are all very good players for the championship, OR, have good resale value to reinvest to build again.

Hes only ever hit double figures twice in his career this stupid idea that people think he will score goals elsewhere is just nonsense. Leon Clarke has score more championship goals for us than mcburnie. He is utter shit. Slim Man

As for rating the transfer window, too early to tell.

I always have January 2018 (Holmes, Leonard, Wilson, Evans) in mind. Loads of people rated that highly. We dropped down the league, missed the playoffs, and by October 2018 all of those players had been discarded one way or another.

I suppose what I'm saying is that Holgate and Grbic might not be awful.

The departures side is easier to rate. No problems there really.

Hes only ever hit double figures twice in his career this stupid idea that people think he will score goals elsewhere is just nonsense. Leon Clarke has score more championship goals for us than mcburnie. He is utter shit. Slim Man
I mean you can keep saying it it doesn’t make it true

As for rating the transfer window, too early to tell.

I always have January 2018 (Holmes, Leonard, Wilson, Evans) in mind. Loads of people rated that highly. We dropped down the league, missed the playoffs, and by October 2018 all of those players had been discarded one way or another.

I suppose what I'm saying is that Holgate and Grbic might not be awful.

The departures side is easier to rate. No problems there really.
Grbic might not be, though the jury is out.

Holgate unequivocally is. He has been for a long time. If the view from isn’t enough evidence I don’t know what is.

I meant to put after Deane but in my fury I forgot

To be fair I can see him at least equalling that
I don't know.

16 games left. Factor in the quality of the team, his own standard of play, the inevitable injuries and suspensions and it'll be close.

I hope he gets 4 more because then we will have at least 23 goals, which is more than the lowest ever.

BBD - good player, bad signing. Lose lose for the club.

Curtis - great signing

Holgate - utterly pointless signing

Grbic - judge at end of season.

Youngster's signing new contracts - very good, but a few key ones to go yet (Arblaster, Jebbison)

The money spent on the BBD and Holgate deals should have either been saved until the summer, or gone on a single young centre back with long term plan in mind.

Berge has been for sale since the summer after we signed him, no one’s pony’d up the cash or he’d have been long gone.

If we’d had a decent offer last Jan for Ndiaye he’d have gone as well and we’d have finished play offs at best.

My point stands. Your statement is based on what you think, not what you know for sure. More is still more, it’s about opinions and yours and mine differ.

As for rating the window mate I honestly don't know it's all a bit meh.. I just don't know/get what direction we are heading in what we're trying to achieve. The whole club at the minute is a complete basket case.

Hes got 11 premier league goals in nearly 3 seasons, Dean got 14 in 1993 I'm pretty sure that 14 is more than 11 so how can he be our record premier league goal scorer? He scored 13 league goals last season, he's not even hit 30 goals in over 130 appearances or however many he's made. He's fucking shite , others may think otherwise and I respect that.
Deane 15 PL goals, McBurnie 11

You don't enjoy scoring goals and having a better forward line?

I've heard so many people express this opinion now that I think I am going mad.
I totally get your opinion. But recruitment wise we are in a mess, and its going to be a hell of a mess to sort in the summer and what is likely to be a very limited budget.

BBD either returns to Villarreal in decent form and they keep or sell (at a price we cant afford). Or he's rubbish and we dont want him or Villarreay sell (at a price we cant afford).

Given our league position and what is coming our way in the summer, any signings in January should have had longer term planning.

BBD and Holgate signings are expensive stop gaps.

I totally get your opinion. But recruitment wise we are in a mess, and its going to be a hell of a mess to sort in the summer and what is likely to be a very limited budget.

BBD either returns to Villarreal in decent form and they keep or sell (at a price we cant afford). Or he's rubbish and we dont want him or Villarreay sell (at a price we cant afford).

Given our league position and what is coming our way in the summer, any signings in January should have had longer term planning.

BBD and Holgate signings are expensive stop gaps.

How expensive? What amount of money are we spending on someone for 4 months will inhibit what we are doing next season?

I keep hearing this. What are the actual numbers?

Surely that can't be held against him.
Holding onto both of those last season managed to get us promoted. If we didn't get promoted last season, where would we be?

I'd guess at mid table Championship, with no Anel, Hamer, Souza, Trusty etc. they are all very good players for the championship, OR, have good resale value to reinvest to build again.
I posted about Berge and N’Diaiye being kept last season as a positive. It seems even better with hindsight.
Sanctions proved that we needed the cash. I don’t blame the Prince for that.

I posted about Berge and N’Diaiye being kept last season as a positive. It seems even better with hindsight.
Sanctions proved that we needed the cash. I don’t blame the Prince for that.
Sorry, misunderstood your post.
I dread to think where we'd be if we didn't go up last year.

How expensive? What amount of money are we spending on someone for 4 months will inhibit what we are doing next season?

I keep hearing this. What are the actual numbers?
Realistically doesn't matter if they are cheap or expensive. Holgate deal is likely to be expensive given his reported wages and indications from Everton that its a very good deal for them.

Lets say we are contributing £65k of wages per week combined - that's £780,000. Plus then you have loan fees, lets estimate those at £1m. So best part of £2m for 2 players for 4 months who will go back to parent clubs.

Surely £2m is better invested elsewhere with next season in mind?

Realistically doesn't matter if they are cheap or expensive. Holgate deal is likely to be expensive given his reported wages and indications from Everton that its a very good deal for them.

Lets say we are contributing £65k of wages per week combined - that's £780,000. Plus then you have loan fees, lets estimate those at £1m. So best part of £2m for 2 players for 4 months who will go back to parent clubs.

Surely £2m is better invested elsewhere with next season in mind?
That is all guesswork. There are not always loan fees.

But even if you are correct, between 1 and 2 million is not a sum of money that is going to make much, if any, difference to next years' recruitment. Especially given how many players are off the books.

That is all guesswork. There are not always loan fees.

But even if you are correct, between 1 and 2 million is not a sum of money that is going to make much, if any, difference to next years' recruitment. Especially given how many players are off the books.
"2 million is not a sum of money that is going to make much, if any, difference to next years' recruitment". Likewise, another guess though.

I'd rather have 1 or 2m extra in next seasons budget, or a permanent signing on decent contract, than two loan players who will return to parent clubs regardless.

BBD - good player, bad signing. Lose lose for the club.

Curtis - great signing

Holgate - utterly pointless signing

Grbic - judge at end of season.

Youngster's signing new contracts - very good, but a few key ones to go yet (Arblaster, Jebbison)

The money spent on the BBD and Holgate deals should have either been saved until the summer, or gone on a single young centre back with long term plan in mind.
Not sure I agree with the argument that loan players aren't worth it. They're not a huge expense and if BBD and Holgate help us to win more games that morale boost is massive going into next season.

As a team we can't just turn it off and wait for next year. You've got to go into every game trying to win. I'm not sure on Holgate but BBD seems to be a good acquisition and having a quality player on that left wing will help the likes of Osula and Brooks to develop. A competitive side also better helps Wilder assess where players are at and who he thinks can help us next year, similarly if we perform better we're a more attractive proposition for new signings/contract renewals in the summer.

Survival was a long shot going into the window but was (is) still possible. If we'd made a few genuine upgrades and managed to get 2-3 wins back to back it wouldn't look so farfetched. West Ham was pretty even, we probably had the better of it and could easily have won. Palace were better but didn't tear us to pieces and scored some great goals. Plenty of teams have won games like that. Slightly better performances and some luck and things could look very different.

Our next 4 games are Villa, Luton, Brighton, Wolves. We were close to beating Villa away, we should've beaten Luton at home, we drew against Brighton and the cup game could've been any score, and Wolves are a side we've actually already beaten this season. I'm not expecting us to win those games but it's not impossible. I don't think the upgrades are good enough to make the difference but I don't think it was an unreasonable strategy

I couldn't care less about this window other than a small handful of contracts. Every penny spent on fees, loan fees and more wages is a waste of money and could be better spent next summer. Why spend millions on an inevitable relegation anyway?

I couldn't care less about this window other than a small handful of contracts. Every penny spent on fees, loan fees and more wages is a waste of money and could be better spent next summer. Why spend millions on an inevitable relegation anyway?
Can I assume that you won’t be complaining about any results or performances for the rest of the season then?

Can I assume that you won’t be complaining about any results or performances for the rest of the season then?
Performances, yes.
Results, no.

I can handle losing, I can't handle piss poor football.

I accepted relegation back in pre-season as it was obvious to the blind that we had no chance of staying up. The Prince sealed our fate last January.

..without having a replacement ?
Like many on here I have supported United for decades and the period of ownership by the Prince has produced some of the most enjoyable times I have seen.
Of course we would all like a to have a rich owner who loves the Blades and takes us forward, but that is unlikely.
Wishing him gone without any clear way forward is the recipe for disaster.
He’s holding out for an unreasonable figure for some reason we’re unsaleable
He’s milking our club but keep clapping back to the championship

As for rating the window mate I honestly don't know it's all a bit meh.. I just don't know/get what direction we are heading in what we're trying to achieve. The whole club at the minute is a complete basket case.
We can at least agree on that. I was angry yesterday now I'm back to being apathetic again.

Back
Top Bottom