Never Before - Until

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think the bigger problem is with the off-side rule generally.
The Leeds forward wasn't hanging around in an of-side position waiting to gain an unfair advantage.
In this instance, if he'd have set off a split second later and been on-side, the opportunity to score would have been identical.
No defender in the world was going to be able to rescue the situation.
I like this observation.

There's a parallel with LBW in cricket. If the ball is good enough to beat the bat and strike the pad in a manner which to the naked eye appears like it was going on to hit the wicket, does the nanometre's difference matter all that much? The bowler has done pretty much what they're meant to do and the batter has been beaten.

Not that I'm advocating doing away with DRS in cricket (where 99% per cent of the time it's great), just that most of the time in sport, the naked eye is good enough to tell if someone's adhered to or broken the spirit of the law or rule; technology is required to be absolutely certain if they've broken it according to the letter of the law - which is why we managed fine for all these years without VAR.

The rule regards the position of the forward player as the ball is kicked. However with frame by frame technology a player could be fractionally onside as the passer's foot makes contact with the ball and fractionally offside as the ball leaves the passer's foot 3 frames later.

It's very easy to put up a still picture showing a player clearly onside with the ball at his team mate's foot but also to put up a still picture taken milliseconds later with the ball at (about to leave) his team mate's foot and the player is clearly offside!
Not at the speed our players run.

Top post
But also make football affordable.
20 is plenty cost wise
Take on board all these negative comments on the premiership! Still have to go for promotion or what's the point of playing at all.
There has to be prize to chase ,even parks football has a prize to go for.

I enjoyed our first season even with var

I don't enjoy us being crap and without hope from before the season started.

Last night Leeds scored a goal that was obviously offside. If something like that cost us next year let's not pretend we would shrug and go oh well!
I’ve posted this before at least once: when McBurnie scored a last minute equaliser against Man Utd in that first season (1st time my lad had seen us play them after watching years of Yeovil etc.) - I didn’t celebrate and told him ‘it hit his arm VAR will rule it out’. Moment gone.

I would definitely rather not have VAR whatever the consequences because those moments are what football is about, and if you take them away, there’s nothing left. You can NEVER have the absolute ecstasy of celebrating a last minute goal that sends you to a cup final, because with VAR - it might not. The goal will be checked for every possible reason why it could be disallowed, so any ‘celebration’ is just “wait, wait, let’s see if it counts …”.

The shared moments of unbridled joy all felt at exactly the same second no longer exists with VAR. I would get rid of it in a heartbeat.

Take on board all these negative comments on the premiership! Still have to go for promotion or what's the point of playing at all.
There has to be prize to chase ,even parks football has a prize to go for.
The prize - champions of the championship
And then having told the PL to stick their invitation to the PL, defence of the championship title.

Back
Top Bottom