Good or bad window?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Satisfied with incomings and outgoings?

• Dissatisfied with incomings?

Votes: 90 53.6%
  • Dissatisfied with outgoings?

Votes: 67 39.9%
  • Don’t think we’ve been told what business has been done yet?

Votes: 55 32.7%

• Total voters

Well, it’s quite disappointing to wake up to this news. Although the players we’ve brought in look like they will strengthen us, the lack of wingers is a concern.

As others have said, we have a manager who (previously) prefers to include wingers and have tactical flexibility and we appear to lack both.

That being said, I haven’t had a brew yet so hoping the situation will look a lot brighter after that

In the end I think it was a decent window but could have been better. We have new bodies in which hopefully will freshen things up, but very frustrated we waited until the last day to do so much of our business. Given the lateness of their arrival and our current predicament, it also relies on them hitting the ground running!

Of course, in the case of Olsen it was always going to be that way as a high profile target waiting on better offers, and probably reasonable to stay in for him knowing that we do at least already have (limited) cover in that position. However, leaving it so late with Collado and Karamoh made no sense to me, as always likely we'd end up in this situation - now we don't have the players to play our manager's preferred formation, which seems baffling to me. Similarly in the midfield, the whole Vieira situation was a mess.

Don't profess to know how player recruitment works but presumably there is a list for each position in order of preference, so feels like we should have moved on earlier. Even if Slav has to move away from his preferred formation, I hope we learn from this window and get some wingers lined up ahead of when the January window opens (not holding my breath), as he needs a plan B, especially if things don't pick up. We're going to be a much less desirable prospect if we're still lingering in the relegation zone in January.

Not sure anyone can really conclude whether it’s a good or bad window until we’ve seen how things change on the pitch. Remember last summer it was not only the manager slobbering over how great the window was. Look how that turned out.

On the face of it the signings we made make sense, however not getting a single winger is an odd one considering Slav’s past teams. We go into September with the exact same forward line which doesn’t fill me with confidence.

I think Jan will hopefully bring karamoh (I may be wrong but I thought there was an appeals process for work permits??) and a fit viera, plus I would hope that the recruitment team will pull their fingers out well before deadline day for slav,s targets

Just seen that Bournemouth signed Lowe from Swansea for just £2m, he is exactly what we needed and they signed Ryan Christie on a permanent deal. Really disappointed we've not concluded any permanent deals. Maybe the Prince has been burned by the expensive permanent deals in the past. We have to get more out of those players particularly Brewster and Mcburnie. Of course they they've need to find better form.

The new excuse of 'Visa issues' has at least taken the heat away from the lowballed wages and broken fax machine of yesteryear.

I get at least 4 emails a week about trading with the EU, I assume that whoever gets the email at SUFC needs to adjust their spam filter.

Decent window would have liked us to offload some more players. A shame about the wingers but I think Slav will have to tap into the youngsters.

If we ignore SJ is manager, some of this stuff is what we have been demanding for sometime.

LCB to replace JOC ✔️
New midfielders ✔️
Replacement For Rammers ✔️

Could have offloaded more of the deadwood 〰️

No wingers ❌

I expect we may revisit the wingers and Viera in January.

With Collado not coming in it’s absolutely shocking that we haven’t brought in a winger. Slav will have to persist with 5-3-2.
We've got tonnes of players to play different formations, tbf.

We've only really added MGW and Hourihane. Keeper we had to replace and LCB we've needed for about a year. I don't think it's enough to get us close with no wingers

Happy with who we got but we've not done our transfer business early enough, the last 5 games have basically been a write off because we've not got people in on time or we've messed about with people like Vieira and the foreign wingers.

We've got shut of Lowe, knew that Ramsdale was on his way and if we're honest, most clubs would have to be mad to take the likes of Fleck, Norwood, Robinson, Burke or Mousset to name a few off our hands and are people we're stuck with as much as we need them gone. Nobody will take them and they know that what they're on here is the last big pay day for them so will milk the cow until it runs dry. I just hope we don't see too much of any of them in the interim.

We've only really added MGW and Hourihane. Keeper we had to replace and LCB we've needed for about a year. I don't think it's enough to get us close with no wingers

We literally can replace the whole midfield if we choose to now. Norwood and Fleck no longer guaranteed a place in the starting 11.

Happy with who we got but we've not done our transfer business early enough, the last 5 games have basically been a write off because we've not got people in on time or we've messed about with people like Vieira and the foreign wingers.

We've got shut of Lowe, knew that Ramsdale was on his way and if we're honest, most clubs would have to be mad to take the likes of Fleck, Norwood, Robinson, Burke or Mousset to name a few off our hands and are people we're stuck with as much as we need them gone. Nobody will take them and they know that what they're on here is the last big pay day for them so will milk the cow until it runs dry. I just hope we don't see too much of any of them in the interim.

It is clear we wanted to get some faces out first and its hard to do when most our squads stock is low.

Hopefully enough for us to avoid a relegation battle; may need a few more to get us into the top half of the table though!

I think bizarrely, we have enough to go back to the original formation we used to play pre Premier League.

The formation and shape was never wrong, its the fact we had no depth to put fresh faces into it. Wilder for whatever reason recruited in the wrong positions and rewarded players that probably should have been moved on.

Better window than i thought tbh.
I wasn't expecting any .
Hopefully it's enough to be able to avoid the drop!! And hopefully we'll pick up more players in the January sale and push on !!!

Better window than i thought tbh.
I wasn't expecting any .
Hopefully it's enough to be able to avoid the drop!! And hopefully we'll pick up more players in the January sale and push on !!!

I hope MGW coming in gives his best mate Brewster the lift he needs.

Exactly same thoughts. I think we look stronger but not strong enough for promotion.

Reading between the lines, the Board do not want promotion - too scary, too much financial risk, they'd rather stay mid-Championship with a cheap squad.
The only clean sheets they are interested in are the Balance Sheets.

Football clubs should not be businesses - they are more like religious institutions, they exist to inspire and entertain us. Try and run them like a supermarket and you might make a nice living for yourself, but you slowly kill the soul of the club

Reading between the lines, the Board do not want promotion - too scary, too much financial risk, they'd rather stay mid-Championship with a cheap squad.

Football clubs should not be businesses - they are more like religious institutions, they exist to inspire and entertain us. Try and run them like a supermarket and you might make a nice living for yourself, but you slowly kill the soul of the club

I think it's more of a case of we gave the last bloke far too much money to spend.

Sadly football clubs do have to run as a business or there wouldn't be a football club. Owners even rich owners draw the line somewhere on spending. Look at the Kane deal, City won't pay the stupid money Levy wants for him.

There needs to be wage caps or something. Football needs to change the way it operates.

That’s a very risky strategy. Plenty of clubs lose money in the championship and PA doesn’t have any to lose. Last season he had an asset worth something like £200m, now it’s worth maybe £50m. In L1 probably closer to £30m. If we try to run at break even in the championship, we’ll probably get relegated so PA will have lost £170m + on his asset.

Apologies, my bad, not used to setting up votes an obvious error to not have a :D Option. Think it was my diminishing state of mind as the exciting signings as expected disappeared down the plug hole.
No need to apologise mate.

I too have fell foul of the "choices" when doing polls, I try to avoid them now..

However many choices you offer it wouldn't be enough for some, but I meant no criticism of you..

Blade56

On another note, today I feel much better with the loans instead of permanent signings, we've really made a shit start, and if we made the playoffs I'd be over the moon..

Relegation scrap, too early???

Back
Top Bottom