Wilder / Holgate

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Don't want to betray any trust, but apparently we've paid (or not paid) a lot lot less than Ā£12m for Souza. Another complex loan /buy/ buy/loan/ borrow/put on the never never type arrangement.

Hecky was also in for a couple of excellent younger centre halves in the summer, who were very realistically priced, and wanted to come, but got vetoed. They went elsewhere.

As I said, we don't want to pay for anything..

Don't want to betray any trust, but apparently we've paid (or not paid) a lot lot less than Ā£12m for Souza. Another complex loan /buy/ buy/loan/ borrow/put on the never never type arrangement.

Hecky was also in for a couple of excellent younger centre halves in the summer, who were very realistically priced, and wanted to come, but got vetoed. They went elsewhere.

Sounds about par for the course when it comes to recruitment with the Blades for decades.

Wilder has shown once again he has terrible judgement when it comes to signing players. Everton and Southampton fans were very clear just how bad Holgate is. He couldnā€™t get into either team. Our fans were very clear we did not want Holgate signed. Wilder must have known the views of supporters. In his own bloody minded ā€œI know bestā€ way, he still went ahead with the signing. I donā€™t believe for one second Holgate was the only option during the transfer window. Wilder wasted the budget when he was last here and it would seem heā€™s learnt nothing.
Since his last spell with us, Wilder has been a complete failure. He should never have come back and the sooner heā€™s gone, the better.
Just because he supports the same team we do doesn't mean he has to sign all the players we want.
His "I know best" attitude? I mean.. I don't know what level you've managed at, but he knows a hell of a lot better than the majority of us šŸ˜…

Just because he supports the same team we do doesn't mean he has to sign all the players we want.
His "I know best" attitude? I mean.. I don't know what level you've managed at, but he knows a hell of a lot better than the majority of us šŸ˜…
Agreed, but he seems to sign a lot of players we don't want too. Mason Holgate being a case in point.

Let's see what he does in the summer, but his obsessive pursuit of a "must have" player has let us down badly in the past. Brewster, Leonard, Evans all spring to mind.

He seems better when having little money, McGoldrick, Jake Wright, John Fleck all free, and John Egan, Olly Norwood, George Baldock for modest outlay. Mousett, Robinson, Brewster all cost significant amounts of money and haven't been worth it.

Let's see what the summer rebuild brings, but imo giving him Ā£10m will bring significantly better returns than giving him Ā£50m.

Not that he'll get that much of course.

I ran an extremely successful business and always took into account the views of employees and customers. Supporters are customers, does that answer your question?

Both massively overrated.
Not to us. We are massively missing iliman's high intensity up top, pressing defenders and hard work rate, not to mention his direct runs and ability to keep hold of the ball to help ease pressure. We are also missing sanders surging runs from deep to get us up the pitch and also his calmness on the ball and ability to keep hold of it.

We haven't replaced either and have nothing like them in the squad.

Not to us. We are massively missing iliman's high intensity up top, pressing defenders and hard work rate, not to mention his direct runs and ability to keep hold of the ball to help ease pressure. We are also missing sanders surging runs from deep to get us up the pitch and also his calmness on the ball and ability to keep hold of it.

We haven't replaced either and have nothing like them in the squad.

We are more missing controlled attacks and Ndiyae would look as bad/good as our current attackers. He hasn't really rocked in Marseille, has he?
Last season Berge looked average in Championship at times when not useless, so I think his spot is covered.

Our game doesn't look anything like last season in Champ and I'm still kinda stun by the skill level difference of Prem and Champ.

If fans were the ultimate judges of a players ability to play football in a well defined system, every league would be absolute dogshit.

Holgate made a wank ā€˜challengeā€™. Thatā€™s it.
Fans who call players who are playing at the highest level in the world "dogshit" and "shite" and "wank". Yes mate, they might not be PL standard but you saying you could do better? No professional footballer is shit. By definition they are better than anyone in the amateur or recreational game. Now, in terms of the level they can reach, well thats a different story. Holgate is a decent CB when he is on his game but is he PL standard? Nope probably not.

Agreed, but he seems to sign a lot of players we don't want too. Mason Holgate being a case in point.

Let's see what he does in the summer, but his obsessive pursuit of a "must have" player has let us down badly in the past. Brewster, Leonard, Evans all spring to mind.

He seems better when having little money, McGoldrick, Jake Wright, John Fleck all free, and John Egan, Olly Norwood, George Baldock for modest outlay. Mousett, Robinson, Brewster all cost significant amounts of money and haven't been worth it.

Let's see what the summer rebuild brings, but imo giving him Ā£10m will bring significantly better returns than giving him Ā£50m.

Not that he'll get that much of course.
Can't see him having any money at all, probably frees & loans + players from league 1 who nobody else wants. Unless we get another owner who's interested I honestly think things are going to get even more difficult!!

We are more missing controlled attacks and Ndiyae would look as bad/good as our current attackers. He hasn't really rocked in Marseille, has he?
Last season Berge looked average in Championship at times when not useless, so I think his spot is covered.

Our game doesn't look anything like last season in Champ and I'm still kinda stun by the skill level difference of Prem and Champ.
You say that but it's a different set up and playing in a different role/position. No one defends from the front like he did for us, his tracking back and winning the ball in forward positions to set us up on a counter really is a massive loss. We know he would be able to hold the ball.

And regarding berge, he was unplayable on his day albeit few and far between but calling him just an average championship player is a bit unfair. He was the only one we had in the team that was comfortable with the ball at his feet and against the press, we have no one else that would be happy to receive the ball under pressure and beat the press and then carry the ball 20 / 30 yards up the pitch or hold off players with his physicality on the ball.

Our game doesn't look anything like last season in Champ and I'm still kinda stun by the skill level difference of Prem and Championship
Our game in last seasons Championship wasn't exactly good it was ugly and effective that's all

I ran an extremely successful business and always took into account the views of employees and customers. Supporters are customers, does that answer your question?
I think it avoids the point about CW being a more experienced football manager than any on here.

Football is a completely different animal when it comes to business practice

Lets consult our customers (supporters) which player we want to sign
Good luck with that one

How is Illiman doing in the French legions ?
How did he do against City in the cup semi last year ?

Yet people assume he would tear the PL apart if he had stopped with us - really.

How is Berge doing at Burnley, is he tearing the PL apart ? I saw him the other week allow an attacker he was supposed to be marking score, because he can only jump 3 inches.
They would surely still be better then their replacements

You say that but it's a different set up and playing in a different role/position. No one defends from the front like he did for us, his tracking back and winning the ball in forward positions to set us up on a counter really is a massive loss. We know he would be able to hold the ball.

And regarding berge, he was unplayable on his day albeit few and far between but calling him just an average championship player is a bit unfair. He was the only one we had in the team that was comfortable with the ball at his feet and against the press, we have no one else that would be happy to receive the ball under pressure and beat the press and then carry the ball 20 / 30 yards up the pitch or hold off players with his physicality on the ball.
He was one of our best player last season, maybe even the best.. The game is way different now than it was in Champ and he wouldn't be able to play nor succeed the way he and we would want.. I have said that he is just one of eleven players in the field and can't do miracles nor win these games alone for us.. Selling him was actually best for all, altho our new signings haven't brought much glory either (yet)

Berge was shut down by just one man marking in Champs and I thought he wouldn't be that much of asset for us this season.. He seems to be regular at Burnley with 24 games (1836min), 1 goal and 1 assist.. Haven't seen him play so can't really say how he is doing, but seems like Burnley doesn't have better option for him.. Maybe he is doing fine..

He was one of our best player last season, maybe even the best.. The game is way different now than it was in Champ and he wouldn't be able to play nor succeed the way he and we would want.. I have said that he is just one of eleven players in the field and can't do miracles nor win these games alone for us.. Selling him was actually best for all, altho our new signings haven't brought much glory either (yet)

Berge was shut down by just one man marking in Champs and I thought he wouldn't be that much of asset for us this season.. He seems to be regular at Burnley with 24 games (1836min), 1 goal and 1 assist.. Haven't seen him play so can't really say how he is doing, but seems like Burnley doesn't have better option for him.. Maybe he is doing fine..
I think you have misinterpreted my post. I'm not saying he would have played to the same standard and or perform miracles.. I'm saying the way he defended from the front and pressed defenders winning the ball back and dropping deep to help defend is what we are missing, and his ability to hold the ball up to ease the pressure. And sure he could win a game or 2 on his own, we seen that In league below and I'm sure we would have seen that against "the lesser teams".

To say he wouldn't be able to succeed is a bit niave on your part, all based on what a few games at OM about to play for his 3rd manager in x amiht of months, also out of position and a totally different role, where he's not the main man or attacking outlet.

And I'm not sure what games you was watching regarding berge last season where he's shutdown by 1 player. He kept the ball moving made driving runs up pitch and rarely was under pressure when pressed by players, he easily avoided the press.

This is not me having a go or being funny with you. So wouldn't ake it the wrong way. And plus, would I want illiman back? I'm not sure he's left on a real negative for me and has played his part for the atrocious summer window, I wouldn't be fussed if we ever saw him again after what he did, so I'm no fan boy, just stating we miss his style of play and work rate off the ball up front and ability with the ball.

Yes. A deal was there but we had already moved along to Holgate when they realised a sale wasnā€™t going to happen and would then accept a loan.

Might have been harsh on Holgate but thatā€™s business.
My fear was that they would have let us drop our interest in Holgate, and then wouldnā€™t complete a deal on Worral.

I think you have misinterpreted my post. I'm not saying he would have played to the same standard and or perform miracles.. I'm saying the way he defended from the front and pressed defenders winning the ball back and dropping deep to help defend is what we are missing, and his ability to hold the ball up to ease the pressure. And sure he could win a game or 2 on his own, we seen that In league below and I'm sure we would have seen that against "the lesser teams".

To say he wouldn't be able to succeed is a bit niave on your part, all based on what a few games at OM about to play for his 3rd manager in x amiht of months, also out of position and a totally different role, where he's not the main man or attacking outlet.

And I'm not sure what games you was watching regarding berge last season where he's shutdown by 1 player. He kept the ball moving made driving runs up pitch and rarely was under pressure when pressed by players, he easily avoided the press.

This is not me having a go or being funny with you. So wouldn't ake it the wrong way. And plus, would I want illiman back? I'm not sure he's left on a real negative for me and has played his part for the atrocious summer window, I wouldn't be fussed if we ever saw him again after what he did, so I'm no fan boy, just stating we miss his style of play and work rate off the ball up front and ability with the ball.
Yeah, maybe I was to eager to point out how these two players wouldn't change our position.. I still believe that way, even I take Your word on that they might have done better than I described.. Either way I think they offered us more potential as transfer fees, altho we haven't had much success with the new squad/players either..

There was some games where I watched Berge on the field and he was completely shutdown by just one player marking him whole game (I think I made a comment about this on the forum too).. I'm not big fan of his balling skills as his running looks like galloping and touch on the ball is anything but soft.. Never understood the hype over Berge and he didn't win me over by his actions on the pitch either..

I wish all the best to the players wherever they are and go!

Mads ?

Back
Top Bottom