Tommy Smith

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Foxy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few places stating that we've had a bid for Tommy Smith accepted.

Although the local Reading papers said earlier this week he'd signed for them.

Watford have accepted a £1.8m bid from Sheffield United for their player of the year Tommy Smith, 28. (The Sun)

Just found this on the BBC gossip bit

there may be some substance to this

LINK

From Sky Sports

Watford have allowed Tommy Smith
spacer.gif
to speak to an unnamed club after accepting a bid of £1.8million.
Manager Malky Mackay
spacer.gif
stated earlier on Thursday that the Hornets had turned down offers for the forward.
Former Hornets boss Brendan Rodgers,
spacer.gif
now in charge at Reading, had reportedly been interested in landing the 29-year-old.
Watford chairman Jimmy Russo has now announced that a new club has entered the race and lodged an acceptable offer.
"We've received a new bid today for Tommy and we will allow him to speak to the club in question," Russo told the club's official website.
"This is a new club that has expressed a desire to sign Tommy."

He left Derby because he wanted to move back down south, so I'd have thought that if it's between us and Reading he'd choose them.

Not a bad player though. Mind you, what is it with buying nothing but wingers??

Not a bad player though. Mind you, what is it with buying nothing but wingers??[/QUOTE]

Just starting to wonder that myself. :confused:

Reading paper say he's definitely not signed for them, but that watford have accepted a "mystery bid"

• Admin
he's a good player, but I really hope that £1.8mil is based on a number of clauses.

I agree that 1.8 million is a bit excessive but i tend to pay little attention to speculation regarding transfer fees.

He is a very good player at this level though.

Never been a fan of his, and £1.8 million is ludicrous.

Good Player, and we should get his bet years at 28. But I do agree that 1.8million is steep. Like Foxy says hope a good chunk of that is based on Promotion/Goals etc

Certainly proven to be well above average at this level over a number of seasons. The fee seems steep, but then figures bandied about are rarely accurate.

Then again, is Doyle three times better than Smith?

I've always rated him and think he is just what we need in the middle, scoring goals is always a bonus. However I'm still not convinced that it is us that has put the bid in and that he will come to us, so as always i'm not getting my hopes up.

What's our fixation with Watford players too? We've signed loads over the past few years.

according to reading the player wants to sign for them but they have not matched our bid yet.

the reading manager who was at watford last year calls him his superman

If he doesn't want to come, then I don't want him.

United do well out of players who would die for the shirt... not so well out of those who would rather be in blue and white, however the configuration of stripes.

I suppose you can't blame the guy for wanting to move to another club a short car journey from where he is now. When the alternative is 100's of miles away.

If he does come I think he will do well for us, he's always been a thorn in our side !!

I wouldn't pay almost £2m for him. He's not worth that much, no way. He's good, yeah, but he's not worth £1.8m, nowhere near that amount.

I like him as a player but i think the fee is a bit steep. Considering we could possibly land Evans for a similar amount.

tommy smith can unlock a defence with a turn of pace or a pass

something we have not got and have been missing for a long time

better buying him than 2 crap bench warmers

Think he would be a great signing - always rated him and he had a great season last season. 17 goals and 9 assists, as well as finishing 1st out of the midfielders based on the Actim stats is surely nothing to be sniffed at!

Reading already have the money after selling doyle for 6.5mill.

Rogers needs to learn the process of sale and first get an offer accepted before he starts spouting his mouth off about where a player that is not at his club wants to go.

Most managers nowadays use the disclaimer of "I don't want to speculate about another club's players"... just before speculating about them....

Back
Top Bottom