Doyle?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

They wanted something silly like £17million for him and then discounted him massively for Wolves so they could land Nunes.
Seem to remember Foxy suggesting at the time that even that might be a conservative estimate for what we’d been quoted.

Regardless, a 50% sell on clause is fucking ridiculous and an indictment of the state of the game. That the bigger clubs can cherry pick the best youngsters, bring them through and then implement such sell ons is a huge part of the problem.

It takes two clubs to make a transfer. Wolves weren't forced to accept City's terms and could easily have told them to fuck off

It takes two clubs to make a transfer. Wolves weren't forced to accept City's terms and could easily have told them to fuck off
And you don't think that it's an issue that to get the player there needed to be a 50% sell on? Let's get this shit straight, City didnt need to sell Doyle.

I've seen him a couple of times recently.

He looks pretty comfortable, heavily involved in the play, makes himself available & moves it on. Doesn't play many probing passes and not exactly a DM either. I'll be intrigued to see how he develops but I'd be surprised if he progresses much further than where he is (which is still an outstanding career).

*not that it needs much more clarification, but we didn't really "miss out" on Doyle.
He wouldn't accept a relegation clause for 1 & we were quoted a substantial sum for his services (nothing like the Wolves figure which is diluted by the Nunes swap).
A young, English, PL level midfielder doesn't go for less than £15m. We didn't have that.
Non-starter for several reasons.

I've seen him a couple of times recently.

He looks pretty comfortable, heavily involved in the play, makes himself available & moves it on. Doesn't play many probing passes and not exactly a DM either. I'll be intrigued to see how he develops but I'd be surprised if he progresses much further than where he is (which is still an outstanding career).

*not that it needs much more clarification, but we didn't really "miss out" on Doyle.
He wouldn't accept a relegation clause for 1 & we were quoted a substantial sum for his services (nothing like the Wolves figure which is diluted by the Nunes swap).
A young, English, PL level midfielder doesn't go for less than £15m. We didn't have that.
Non-starter for several reasons.
Agreed, we had about as much chance as we did with Cole Palmer.

And you don't think that it's an issue that to get the player there needed to be a 50% sell on? Let's get this shit straight, City didnt need to sell Doyle.

Half their business model is hoovering up enormous numbers of decent youngsters and selling them on to lesser teams for massive profits, both at the point of transfer and in future dealings. The other half is cheating. They didn't need to sell Doyle, no, but it kind of negates their business plan if nobody deals with them

Seem to remember Foxy suggesting at the time that even that might be a conservative estimate for what we’d been quoted.
Sounds very likely. Man City and their playthings. Hopefully be a mutiny when they win the league again.

It’s probably quite unique though too.

How ordinarily could get get Tommy Doyle for about 5m?

You can understand City wanting a slice of a bigger fee to make it more representative.

If they’d bought him for 12m or 15m then I doubt City would be asking that.

Back
Top Bottom