Tommy Smith

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Watford chairman blasts ex-boss

Watford chairman Jimmy Russo has criticised former boss Brendan Rodgers after he claimed striker Tommy Smith wanted to join him at Reading.

Watford have rejected what they called a "derisory" £750,000 offer from the Royals for Smith but accepted a £1.8m bid from Sheffield United.

"I am disturbed as to how Brendan knows Tommy's future intentions," Russo told the club's website.

"His comments are not very respectful to the fans and the staff at Watford."

Rodgers told the Reading Evening Post on Wednesday: "He [Smith] wants to be here. He's a player that has turned down a number of moves.

"My job is to identify the players that I want and then I, in exactly the same scenario as Steve Coppell, let [director of football] Nick Hammond and the board get on with it.

606: DEBATE
" The whole Tommy Smith issue is turning into a bit of a circus now and must be having an unsettling effect on Tommy himself and the team at large "

BerksHorn

"I've made it clear we've made the intent that this was the offer.

"There were a number of other offers for Tommy and then one big one came in [from Sheffield United]."

And responding to the comments, Russo added: "He must not forget that Watford gave him his first managerial opportunity.

"Reading have failed to meet our valuation of the player in question, in fact last week I labelled the bid 'derisory'.

"I am more than happy to keep the player at the club if our valuation is not met. He is a fantastic player who will have a huge contribution on the pitch next season if he is still a Watford player.

"This also means that we do not have to purchase a replacement for him.

"Unless we receive the appropriate valuation for Tommy, through the correct channels, then we intend to keep the player at the club, this I can guarantee 100%."

So is he signing for us then? After all we've had a bid accepted.

If only it was so simple, there are three parties to any signing, the selling club, the potential purchasing club and the player, I only see agreement between two of the three at the moment.

If only it was so simple, there are three parties to any signing, the selling club, the potential purchasing club and the player, I only see agreement between two of the three at the moment.

Four...The Agent!

Five..... The wife!

And not in that order!

Sounds like Brendan Rogers has kept the old Chelsea mentality "If you want a player just talk to him and his agent through the press"

This has been said today.

Mackay keen on Smith stay

Wednesday 05 Aug 2009 15:04 August 5

Watford boss Malky Mackay remains hopeful of being able to keep striker Tommy Smith at the club next season.

The 29-year-old, currently in his second spell with the Hornets, is a reported target for Sheffield United and Reading, but so far no deal has been agreed.

Mackay told the London Paper: "Tommy Smith is one of the best three players in this division and he's got a massive contribution to make.

"We want to keep him. He's our player, he's under contract and he's ready to start the season with us.

"There are still four weeks until the transfer deadline. We'll have a plan in place and react accordingly when things come up."

http://www.4thegame.com/club/watford-fc/news/243261/

It seems unusual of their manager saying this because i haven't heard Kevin Blackwell say anything of this or even heard any other team talking about this so it will be interesting to keep an eye on this over the next couple of weeks.

Id take him no probs. He knows where the net is. Can get 20 goal per season i see mcindoe signs for cov, did we not have bit accapted there awhile ago???? We seem to miss out on lot of players

Id take him no probs. He knows where the net is. Can get 20 goal per season i see mcindoe signs for cov, did we not have bit accapted there awhile ago???? We seem to miss out on lot of players
Yeah but WE fucked THEM about, according to Johnson and it all fell through.

Pretty sure we pulled out of the Mcindoe deal ourselves, probably cos we'd already got deals lined up for Reid, Treacey and Little.

We didn't miss out, we just decided we didn't really need him. Johnson threw his dummy out cos he saw the £££ disappear.

Smith and O'Toole were on the radar, Smith asked too much but how could we lose O'Toole? Guess there was a change of mind for all concerned. Don't recall the club making statements on any of these players though - except at the time the offers were first accepted. At the time I thought we were looking at three new quality signings, and then nothing.

Money grabbing tosser, I'm glad we didn't sign him! give me Kyel Reid or Keith Treacy any day!

kyel reid didn't look very good at all against a load of young trinidad lads the other night

Back
Top Bottom