Roy's View From... Brentford Fans View On John Egan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The consensus seems to be a fairly reliable stopped but no good on the ball. I assume he'll be replacing Stearman in the centre.

He should fit in ;)

“our style of football dictates we play out of defence & I think Egan is the most uncomfortable defender at the club coming forward with the ball resulting more often than not with a sideways pass that loses us any momentum.”

I suppose when you sign a player from Barcelona they might be of lower quality otherwise they wouldn't let...........

Those were Brentford fan comments??? Sorry, just assumed he must have been playing for the most stylish football team in the world with those comments

Also love the 'our level' stuff. They are almost exactly on our level. They've just spent a bit more. If anything they should be worried why somebody who achieved as much as them on a smaller budget wanted Egan so much

Mixed reviews really. The consistent message is that he is a no-nonsense centre half, that isn’t great with the ball at his feet. This leads me to believe he will probably take the central role in the 3 and it will be down to Stearman / Bash (on the right) and O’Connell (on the left) to carry the ball forward.

I think we, like Brentford, also like to carry / play the ball out of defence, but have recognised that we give away too many soft goals and the priority has to be to stop this. I think, regardless of Brentford’s views, John Egan perfectly suits our needs. Let’s not be a light touch this year, let’s have a mixture of tough / no nonsense defending when needed and be fancy in the right moments / areas.

He wasn’t made their Captain for no reason, even if he isn’t the most vocal on the pitch, he must have been their leader off it. I’m happy with this one and if Wilder (a stringent budget holder) thinks he’s worth £3-4m to our side, then I won’t question him.

I suppose when you sign a player from Barcelona they might be of lower quality otherwise they wouldn't let...........

Those were Brentford fan comments??? Sorry, just assumed he must have been playing for the most stylish football team in the world with those comments

Also love the 'our level' stuff. They are almost exactly on our level. They've just spent a bit more. If anything they should be worried why somebody who achieved as much as them on a smaller budget wanted Egan so much
Exactly my thoughts ! You’d think they’d just got promoted, not ended on the same points as the club they have sold to (and didn’t beat !!) I’m ok with a ‘proper’ defender. As long as he can pass it to Coutts then he’ll be fine. Improvement on Stearman and Bash at centre half so happy with that. Now if we’re spending £4m on a CB, the striker must be at least £15m. Someone’s credit card is getting a hammering

When did they change their name to Beeluded ? When they knocked one of the 4 pubs down after all that is all Brentford is famous for ,well that and Nylons.

I mentioned we were going to sign him to a Fulham fan earlier and he laughed and said ‘I hope you do’.

Those first set of comments reminded me of Coventrys fans view of Fleck...... One other thing. After years of being a shitty lower league club Brentford have had a few seasons establishing themselves as a decent attractive to watch championship side. Suddenly their supporters have gone all massive on us all. Let’s remember we took 4 points off them last season and should have wiped the floor with them at Griffin Park

Based on their fairly constructive criticism, I assume he is a long term solution to the aging issue of Wright or Stearman anchoring the 2 attack minded CB's at his side.

I can see our back 3 being:

Leonard Egan O'Connoll

Not that I am having a poke at Basham, He's my cult hero. But if RL has the ability on the ball in the opposing half that we'd expect from someone comfortable at CM then perhaps this will just shade Bash.

Assuming JOCs staying he sounds like a decent, Morgan type, addition.

Back
Top Bottom