The economics of football.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

beightonblade

On yer bike !
Reaction score
On a profit only basis which league in England would give the best return for the Blades ? (assuming bottom half finish at best in the Premiership)

On a profit only basis which league in England would give the best return for the Blades ? (assuming bottom half finish at best in the Premiership)

More than likely the Premiership, mainly due to the TV Cash. The only one that would better that would be to get promoted by the Playoffs, then get relegated and follow that pattern, due to the extra cash the Playoffs generates

More than likely the Premiership, mainly due to the TV Cash. The only one that would better that would be to get promoted by the Playoffs, then get relegated and follow that pattern, due to the extra cash the Playoffs generates

Would still be better off staying the PL. As you only get 2/3 of the TV money as parachute payments

In real terms, how many teams made a profit in any division last season ?

Beighton, come on son, if you've got owt to say then actually come out and say it.
Continually hinting at things but never backing it up only weakens whatever argument you want to make.

Don't the parachute payments get split out more evenly now to the other clubs??

Parachute payments get split equally between the other clubs in the league should a team who is relegated go straight back up.
Because the second seasons payments are no longer required.

I think BB is trying to more than hint that the businessman McCabe, whom he admires, has worked out that a profit is more likely in being a challenging CCC club than a struggling PL club (salaries much higher thus draining any increase in TV income etc.).

A rather obtuse way of saying something he ALWAYS says. Mind you, refreshing change from 'no ambition', 'cheap as chips', 'who owns the lease' blah, blah, blah. :D

Arsenal most certainly did.

I think their balance sheet with the new stadium and all reads about as clearly as ours !

Back to the point though, do you think Arsenal fans are more concerned about the increase in turnover or the lack of a trophy for several years ?

Beighton doesn't say "who owns the lease" anymore because someone paid to answer that question and it wasn't the answer he wanted.

Beighton doesn't say "who owns the lease" anymore because someone paid to answer that question and it wasn't the answer he wanted.

:D i'm not biting .......
I have my opinion an i'm keepin mi gob shut.

Beighton, come on son, if you've got owt to say then actually come out and say it.
Continually hinting at things but never backing it up only weakens whatever argument you want to make.

I'm not clever enuff to back things up. :eek: i'm just a simple owd property man.

I'm not clever enuff to back things up. :eek: i'm just a simple owd property man.

Ok, so we'll guess your apparent belief is that McCabe doesn't want promotion but that you also haven't got a clue as to why that is.
Pretty pointless you posting in that case.

Ok, so we'll guess your apparent belief is that McCabe doesn't want promotion but that you also haven't got a clue as to why that is.

nope ........... i posted the question because i'm not sure of the answer.

Surely making points without any basis in fact just to get a reaction is trolling?

In fact when someone proves that you are unmistakeably incorrect your reply is just I don't agree.

Totally agree that points should be backed up but I think there is a potential case for saying that an investor looking to make money out of SUFC could be more attracted to a really well run, debt free CCC club as opposed to say a Bolton or Hull with huge debts where the TV money makes no impact on that debt.

It is then up to that investor to make money by somehow keeping costs below turnover when gaining promotion hopefully. Post promotion the investor has paid very little for a Prem club but even then he will struggle to sell for a profit if all we have is debt as a result of high wages and transfer fees.

I think BB is wrong to talk profit. KM is rightly interested in getting his wedge back (plus interest) rather than selling shares at a profit. I want to believe that McCabe wants to get all his money out then sell to an investor for £1 who has millions to pump in for team building rather than debt clearance.

Look again at your question.
Clearly it would be better for United or anyone else to be in the Premiership - I don't think you posed the question as to whether it would be better for McCabe or not.
If you're suggesting it is better for McCabe to be in the Championship with a club losing money every week because this makes it easier to sell then say so and explain why. Explain why being in the Premiership and being able to repay debts, including those to himself, much more quickly, makes it harder for McCabe to sell.
You keep making insinuations about McCabe without backing it up with anything - no figures, no quotes, no comparisons - and it's pointless.

Nope you posted the question because your a very lonely man and ----yes we all know gerts not opnin and you need to be wanted and loved :D

Look again at your question.
Clearly it would be better for United or anyone else to be in the Premiership - I don't think you posed the question as to whether it would be better for McCabe or not.
If you're suggesting it is better for McCabe to be in the Championship with a club losing money every week because this makes it easier to sell then say so and explain why. Explain why being in the Premiership and being able to repay debts, including those to himself, much more quickly, makes it harder for McCabe to sell.
You keep making insinuations about McCabe without backing it up with anything - no figures, no quotes, no comparisons - and it's pointless.

here is the question:

I'm not suggesting owt, just looking for an answer.
Whats wrong with that?

Back
Top Bottom