Six of the Best - The Best Performances Seen at The Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sorry, I have not done any research but these stood out in my memory as great wins for the fans
Coventry FA Cup - Pembo penalty to win it?
Charlton FA Cup 2-0 win to meet Wednesday in next round - but...
Last minute winner 3-2 v Hull to get promotion almost confirmed
As others have said 2-0 v Wednesday in when we had no chance! Woods useless on the day.
West Ham - Rice VAR disallowed goal for handball - 1-0 win brilliant
Blackburn FA Cup - twice behind, last minute screamer from Doyle

I have a dim memory of losing 1-0 but absolutely battering somebody playing to the kop end - Alan Young sliding in to score but disallowed - standing ovation and applauded off after losing?

Another one worthy of a mention.

Blades 0-0 Gillingham 2003/04

A brave, courageous 0-0 draw against an opponent Neil Warnock said even Real Madrid would struggle against

Sorry if already mentioned. But which was the game where the announcer said something about continuing that performance in the second half and Wilder didn't like it. He apologised to the opposition manager. That was an epic performance. Was it Villa at home in the championship?

6-1 Chester 88/89. Agana hat trick in the 1st half, Deane hat trick in the 2nd. Absolutely steamrollered them.

2-1 Manchester United 92/93 Opening game of the PL. We matched Man Utd man for man and fully deserved the win

2-0 Sunderland 97/98 First game of Spackmans reign. 3-5-2 formation. Played some absolutely scintillating stuff and promised a brighter future

1-0 Arsenal 06/07. This was when Arsenal were in their pomp and very hard to beat. Christian Nade and Jagielka in the net. Warnocks signature petgitnance

2-0 Ipswich 19/20. The game that effectively sealed promotion. A solid and controlled performance when the pressure was on. Remember never feeling as calm and confident before a big match

5-2 Burnley 22/23. The second half routing of Burnley. It’s been a long time since we have so comprehensively battered a side in a half of football

I was going to suggest that one too. We were absolutely brilliant that day, but the 0-0 scoreline just looks boring on paper.

The 2-0 win against Liverpool in 1992 was also a wonderful team performance. We comfortably won against one of the best English teams despite the ref giving them (Liverpool) everything.
Deano's 45 yard chip!

September 89 in the Bassett Division 2 promotion season

United 5 Brighton 4 - 3 nil up in no time, 3-4 down with 10 to go, John Francis (I think) last minute diving header to win it!

Paul Wood played for them and rag us ragged
That was also my favourite match! (Apart from forest playoff semi). The atmosphere in the crowd swung from easy win, to building disappointment, to "oh no, end of the world!" to complete Euphoria!!! Everyone in crowd was shattered by the end! Everyone on kop had a smile on their faces as they left the ground

Yes the Forest semi final was a great occasion- simply because we were down and out when Reid? scored their second goal, I was with my son on the Kop and we looked at each other and said that's it.
Then came the revival and it was like the second coming.
I remember Pesch scoring, and Michael Brown and we were in Dreamland, and then to top it Des Walker headed in his own net !
We went home walking on air.

Villa at Home and Manchester United the following season were the best we’ve played in the last 25 years.

Really enjoyed beating Arsenal 1-0 in the FA Cup under Kendall. I think they were pre Wenger but had a really strong side including Bergkamp, Seaman, Adams, Dixon, Platt, Merson and Wright. We were still in trouble in the 2nd tier and the ground still only had 3 sides, we were a bit of a shambles as a club, but that night we just clicked superbly. Carl Veart scored a flying header. Cowans and Patterson were superb in midfield and we thoroughly deserved the win. Atmosphere was superb despite no John St stand.

Really enjoyed beating Arsenal 1-0 in the FA Cup under Kendall. I think they were pre Wenger but had a really strong side including Bergkamp, Seaman, Adams, Dixon, Platt, Merson and Wright. We were still in trouble in the 2nd tier and the ground still only had 3 sides, we were a bit of a shambles as a club, but that night we just clicked superbly. Carl Veart scored a flying header. Cowans and Patterson were superb in midfield and we thoroughly deserved the win. Atmosphere was superb despite no John St stand.
Yes, Rioch was Arsenal's manager at the time

The 4-0 that should have been 8-0 against Vale in the 100 point season
4-0 against Fulham at the end of 21/22
Brentford in the second Wilder promotion season when Madine got sent off, not the best performance footballwise but one of the bravest
Spuds in FA Cup last year, once again we went into a game as underdogs and came out on top, Kane missing a sitter at the end was the icing on the cake!

Blades 2-1 Leeds. Just for the sheer unbridled emotion. Jags' thunderbastard had us all talking about extra time...Nuddy had other ideas.
Blades 3-1 Pigs. From behind, Brown's volley is still one of the best goals I've ever seen.
Blades 3-3 Man Utd. Shame we only got a point, but that spell where we were flying, and we were 2-0 up against MANCHESTER FUCKING UNITED, in the league, was sensational.
Blades 2-1 Liverpool. Michael Tonge's finest moment in football.
Blades 1-1 Coventry (Blades win 3-1 on pens). My earliest memory of sheer, ridiculous, pandemonium in the stands. I'd been going a few years by then, but this one stands out as a memory from my formative years.
Blades 1-0 Arsenal. Under the lights. Just after Xmas. Jags' superb save from Van Persie after Nade scored to put us in front.

Mark Patterson has to be one of the most underrated Blades players in my lifetime and Gordon Cowans was a player whose reading of the game , positional sense and passing abilities were a joy to watch .

Whilst they had totally different attributes , they complimented each other in the way that Bremner and Giles did to such effect at Leeds and were just the sort of combination we’ve been sadly lacking in recent times since the sad demise of Norwood and Fleck .

Blades 3- 2 West Ham - come back complete
Blades 2 - 0 Charlton - FA Cup 1/4 final - what an atmosphere
Blades 2 - 0 Sunderland - Deanos return
Blades penalty shoot out win over Coventry FA Cup 1/4 final

The 1-0 game in which Hamson scored the winner was against Liverpool, not Leeds.
I think the goal was at Lane End rather than Shoreham. It was 1978 and on Wed of that week we played River Plate at the end. Hard to believe we got relegated to 3rd Division at the end of the season for the first time in our history.

I think the goal was at Lane End rather than Shoreham. It was 1978 and on Wed of that week we played River Plate at the end. Hard to believe we got relegated to 3rd Division at the end of the season for the first time in our history.
Hamson's goal was at Kop End

Wasnt a header. What the Morning Telegraph or the Star wrote about the goal

A mistake by the craggy Murray was latched on to by Woodward. The winger swiftly headed on the misplaced pass to Reece who lashed in an 18 yard drive which Eadie got his finger tips to but which still sped into the top left hand corner.
thanks for the correction mate but it is a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom