Spunking moneh away

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All managers have good and bad buys.
If you take Brewster out of the equation, overall he did very well financially.
Brewster is still young, still our player and who knows what value he holds IF he can shake the injuries.

I would prefer to judge a manager based on what position and state he left us compared to when he was appointed.
Wilder left us with a decent Championship team and we should have done better at the start of the 21/22 season back in the Championship. I still believe if Wilder had stayed we would have come straight back up that season.
So overall he did a good job.

The fact remains that having your most expensive player at £22m in the Premier League in this day and age is a pittance.

We judge harshly when any other Prem team with real aspirations of staying up is getting at least a couple in for £26m+ each.

Last edited:
Hi Stegosaurus here,

1 - Overrated, sold at a loss
2 - Not a terrible player, but not worth 17 mil.
3 - An embarassment of a footballer. Lots of talent, completely wasted
4 - Pointless signing
5 - Barely kicked a ball for us
6 - Not a bad signing for that price

1 - Complete waste of money
2 - Ramsdale is shit, can't believe we sold him for a profit. Did Arsenal even watch him play for us?
3 - Burke is absolute garbage and I cant believe teams still take a chance with him. He's a classic example of a player who once had a high fee paid for him, so managers just assume he must be decent when in truth he's barely League 1 level.
4 - Bogle - Good signing
5 - Not as good as Bogle, but a decent signing.
Bogle good signing ! You having a laugh

Last edited:
Send Wilder round Aldi with a tenner and he’ll pick up the ingredients for a tasty and filling meal - bit of pasta, passata, fresh basil, onions, meatballs, garlic bread and a cheap merlot. Nowt too fancy, but tasty and hits the spot.
Send him round Waitrose with £200 and he’d come back with truffle oil, beetroot and mint houmous, strawberry and champagne preserve, dried octopus, spiced quince and pear relish and some 99% Dominican Republic dark chocolate…you’re left skint and starving.

This is one of the top 3 posts I've read in all my time on this forum.

Takes an issue with layer upon layer of complexity and nuance, and disseminates it down perfectly into one paragraph.

Well done Sir!

The fact remains that having your most expensive player at £22m in the Premier League in this day and age is a pittance.

We judge harshly when any other Prem team with real aspirations of staying up is getting at least a couple in for £26m+ each.
Yes but to have clubs like Brentford, Brighton,Fulham and Palace in front of pisses you off

Apart from Anel the money he spent has got us 3 seasons in the PL to date which must be above the going rate for 3 seasons in the premier league?

The OP was about 'Spunking Money..'

So yes the point I made was about transfers.

McBurnie was signed by Wilder but I maintain Hecky has made him a better player.

Hecky understands that development of young players is neccessary due to the club's financial predicament.

I think Wilder had had enough of shopping at Aldi at previous clubs and thought he'd won the lottery when we got promoted to the Premier league.

The toys might have come out of the pram a lot earlier if Wilder had been told he'd only got £20 million to spend in 2019.

We've spent almost as much this season on players as we did that first season though. We just had a few to sell also (one of whom CW bought).

Hecky may have brought him on more it's certainly debatable, a large part of that is probably Oli Mac growing up a bit mentally, again maybe Hecky maybe not. He didn't look bad the first season he was with us though that's for sure, or with Swansea before us.

Wilder gets lumps kicked out of him for the transfer dealings, but they are nowhere near as bad as they're becoming known as. A solid number of those he bought helped us get back where we are and another we turned a profit on. It wasn't all spunked money either, we bought players for low fees too.

I get the feeling fans seem to think CW put the club in jeopardy, when he spend a lot on younger players and bought pretty well from the championship. All seemingly to me to be a mix of those who needed to impact straight away but also have an eye on the club's future too. Which has borne out in the main. Brewster has turned into a shit show, but timing was everything there, maybe right player, wrong time for him and us it turned out. There's always going to be shite signings too, not sure we escaped that this summer either.

£10m on Souza
£5m on (We Don’t) Trusty (Him to start)
£3m on Adrian Traorejohn

Not looking too clever so far.
Why we didnt utilise international loan for Souza and put the 10m towards someone else i do not know.

I’m sorry to say but the recruitment over the past 4 years has been very disappointing to say the least.

Shit loads of transfer fees & wages spunked away under Wilder, Slav & Hecky.

Who can we say have been a solid purchase since we went up to the Premier League? Probably Foderingham, McBurnie, J Robinson permanently ironically werent good enough for the league we brought them in to play in the first place.
Gibbs White & McAtee great loan signings and Anel Ahmedhodzic the only permanent signing we made in 2 years. Shocking

The lack of squad planning/management has been nothing short of a fucking disgrace. We are relying heavily on players from the Wilder era who are sadly way past their sell by date as they are just not good enough anymore - Egan, Basham, Norwood.

The whole style of play our game was based around was shot to bits when JOC got his career ending injury and we’ve had to paper over the cracks these past 4 years having loan recruits and a loose cannon in Robbo to cover it, I mean what did we really expect?

The past summers recruits have been nothing short of a shambles. 5m on Trusty who can’t dislodge any of the 3 idiots at the back at the moment, I mean how bad is he? Tom Davies is wank, id rather Warwick. Benie Traore is John Forte 2.0

Next summer literally every fucker is out of contract, the players who we will still have contracted will need to be either sold to balance the books in Anel if he does wake up and put in a half decent performance. Are too old with no re sale value. Or a youth player who is fucking shit. There is going to be a big squad overhaul next summer and it’s been needed for some time.

Sheffield United, the most sentimental football club going.
This is my biggest worry with us getting relegated. An overhaul is definitely needed and could go really well and set us up for the next 5 years or it could go horrendous and end up with a more disjointed squad that sees us fall down the ladder even more.

From the league 1 promotion season to the first year back in the Prem, each transfer window it seemed like we replaced someone who wasn’t performing and got a direct replacement in which improved in that position. Now it feels like we’ve got random players who don’t fit a system and no squad depth to drop someone who’s playing shit.

I keep reading on here about how Wilder spunked our money away. I’ve always thought overall we did good with transfers with him but thought best take a look back. Fees using transfer market.com

Pre Premiership (recap)
Sold Dcl
Sold Brooks

Bought Egan
Bought Norwood.
Few good Free’s

Overall: Fantastic 11/10 League one to Premiership. Whilst making a profit.

First season in Premiership:

Sold no one of note.

Bought: Berge for 20m
Bought: Mcburnie 17m
Bought: Mousett 10m
Bought: Robinson 6m
Bought: Freeman 4m
Bought: Osborn 3m

Overall: 8/10 we finished 9th in the Premier-league playing fantastic football. Berge was touted by clubs in Europe ended up selling for a similar figure after helping us to promotion. Mcburnie currently our best player. Mousset for the one season was worth the 10m. Robinson / Freeman not very good and Osborn was okay he’s played a lot but nothing special.

Second season in Premiership:

Sold no one of note

Bought: Brewster 22m
Bought: Ramsdale 18m
Bought: Burke (Swop for Robinson)
Bought : Bogle 3m
Bought : Lowe 3m

Overall 5/10. League position horrific and Brewster since Wilder left has sat on the injury table and been crocked ever since. Ramsdale we sold for big profit and now plays for Arsenal. Burke I don’t even want to talk about awful player (no argument the Robinson money virtually went on him we spunked that. Bogle and Lowe for their money are very good. Bogle has a very exciting future. Lowe is very hot and cold but £3m in PL is nothing.

So this argument about how Wilder spunked money. Looking back with hindsight Brewster and his injuries seems very poor, but he made that money back with Ramsdale. Burke is dreadful. The others overall look good signings. Large majority of the team got us 90 points in the Championship too.

Myth: Busted.
Sorry don’t get selling DCL and Brooks (plus I think you missed Che Adams and Ramsdale sales ) on the cheap as being Fantastic.
If we had kept them we would have had long term success rather what we have had .
Give me a few quality players then mountains of average ones.

Truth is nobody knows what money was spent or how the deal was structured. I had my doubts about the millions being quoted . Just media click bait . Players values are written down over the life of the contract so don’t always appear on the balance sheet . When I first started watching the blades nobody gave a flying fuck what players cost or earn
Happy days sadly gone 😫

Truth is nobody knows what money was spent or how the deal was structured. I had my doubts about the millions being quoted . Just media click bait . Players values are written down over the life of the contract so don’t always appear on the balance sheet . When I first started watching the blades nobody gave a flying fuck what players cost or earn
Happy days sadly gone 😫

The total annual spend appears in the accounts. Same with the total values after amortisation.

The issue in that second season is more fundamental than the debate about whether Wilder wasted money in the transfer window.

We knew JOC had a serious knee injury. We also knew that teams had figured out that Norwood was the key: put him under pressure and we struggled. Those were the two critical things to fix.

Wilder went mad and bought an unproven striker, a young goalkeeper and a pair of full backs when he should have put that £40m into a decent central defender and athletic central midfielder. We paid the price by chalking up the worst ever start to a PL season and threatening the lowest ever points total as we were embarrassed week after week.

The man started believing the hype. He's still chasing that high even though it's increasingly obvious that his time has past.
Amen to that. Key to our relegation in that second season was the complete failure to replace JOC, and much as I like Norwood, everyone by that stage knew that to play us you pressed Norwood.
The number of times teams attacked, and scored down our left that season was ridiculous and nothing done about it. Ampadu and Keane Bryan seemingly seen as fit replacements.
On another note I have been told (not claiming to be in the know) that Wilder was determined to sign Brewster, at whatever cost, to spite the Prince due to his failure to back his other transfer targets.

Dragging up the past because you are angry about our most recent performance is academic.

Few complained and many were surprised when the club spent big money in the PL under Wider! The club broke its own transfer record seemingly every week.

PH has had to deal with any number of problems resulting from our failure to stay in the PL.

He was appointed as a development manager and his budget for the first year back at EPL was miserly He has bought development players (youngsters with potential) like Traore, Slimane, Larrouci and Trusty but been mostly forced to play them as first teasers because we lost Ndiaye and Berge at short notice. The age of the squad, and some of the contract issues have improved. How he persuaded the board to spend (for him) big money on Souza, Hamer and Archer says more about the Princes ambition than Hecky’s nous.

As many have pointed out, the PL is a. different ball game driven by money, and plucky clubs like ours have no business messing with the big boys toys.

He is now in a catch 22 position. Improve the results by Christmas, or no money will be spent in JTW.

If results remain underwhelming, no money spent in JTW. 🤷‍♂️

PH has two things going for him. Strong support from the senior players, and quality supporters. There’s only one way to go with that. Don’t mention money spent by anyone ever again.

They were the signings of a man who believed his own hype. I loved Wilder (and wouldn't be against him returning in all honesty), but they were ridiculous signings.
This is such biased opinion.

If we could we wouldn't have been shopping in the rejects bin.

This is such biased opinion.

If we could we wouldn't have been shopping in the rejects bin.

Morrison and Rodwell were legitimately players we did not need. They barely played.

They were signings for the sake of making signings.

And the season after we spent over 40m on a striker and a goalkeeper when that pot could have been split across more players to cover more positions that were BEGGING for fresh blood.

There is nothing biased about what I've said. I rate Wilder and his signings overall, but Prince did shit all wrong in those two seasons apart from backing Widler's judgment to spend approaching 100m.

We had to sell (arguably) our best two players in order to buy who we did, one of them left it while the last minute too, We have to give Heckys signings ,more time to compare them to CWs,

Last edited:

Archer started well but i'm waiting for him to do something on the ball that shows his worth. Not seen much so far.

Back
Top Bottom