Six of the Best - The Best Performances Seen at The Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Edinblade

Reaction score
Following on from the thread below, which I haven’t read as I don’t like dwelling on negativity, here is my list of the best at Bramall Lane.
In no particular order:
Utd 3 West Ham 2; the famous quality goal by a quality player goal by the goat.
Utd 5 Cardiff 1; the match which virtually assured promotion in 1970/71
Utd 1 Leeds 0; famous cup win when Hamson scored at the Shoreham End
Utd 1 Arsenal 0; an absolute classic when we had to play with Jags in goal
Utd 3 Pigs 1; 2003 when M Brown scored an absolute cracker
Utd1 Brentford 0; 2023, this is a surprise entry, but whilst the match wasn’t the best, the occasion, sense of relief, resurgence of hope etc etc and return of you know who, it just felt so good.

Best ones I've seen...

Blades 6 WBA 0 (2000) Bent
Blades 4 Birmingham 0 (2001) Brown was unplayable
Blades 3 West Ham 0 (2007) Dismantled them at home
Blades 2 Liverpool 1 (2003) semi final joy in the 1st leg
Blades 3 FL Derby 1 (2018) The moment we showed we were promotion candidates.
MK Don's 0 Blades 3. More about the occasion, but we were always going to win that by a few. Just a joyous day for 7k Blades in the away end.

United 3 - 3 Man Utd (2019)
We didn't get the win but the first half performance was probably the best I have ever seen us play, and I possibly will never see us see us play better than that. We completely blew away a good Man Utd side that finished 3rd that season.
The late equaliser from McBurnie, after a long VAR check, almost felt like a winner.

WARNING Lame humour alert but it is a true story
I remember talking to a Brummie about that game and he said we had somebody who was unplayable I automatically said 'Brown' and he said, 'no he was white'.
Sorry but it is true.

Performance wise in more recent times:

Blades 4-0 Port Vale 2016, we scored 4 offside goals too

Blades 2-0 Bolton 2017, it was 1st v 2nd but we were so comfortable it was untrue. We played Scunthorpe off the park the week before too but couldn't find a winner after falling behind.

Blades 4-1 Villa 2018, Norwood ran the show

Blades 3-0 Burnley 2019, The most dominant I've seen us in the PL

Blades 4-0 Reading 2022, They were top of the league at the time but we were dominant

Blades 5-2 Burnley 2022, Did they have a kick second half?

Last edited:
sufc 5 arsenal 0
best first 20 minutes of a game ever and had Currie sitting on a ball

sufc 3 swfc 2 tudor poking in a late winner after owls has been given false hope of a win

sheffield United 7 Ipswich 0 an Alan Woodward masterclass still unrivalled except when he went in goal for a 1-0 win over leeds

sheff utd 3 newcastle 2 mid sixties 2 late goals turning aa 2-1 deficit in a thrilling game

sufc 4 aston villa 1
best display at home in Wilders first period with us

sufc 5 arsenal 0

sufc 3 swfc 2 tudor poking in a late winner after owls has been given false hope of a win

sheffield United 7 Ipswich 0 an Alan Woodward masterclass still unrivalled except when he went in goal for a 1-0 win over leeds

sheff utd 3 newcastle 2 mid sixties 2 late goals turning aa 2-1 deficit in a thrilling game

sufc 4 aston villa 1
I could and maybe should have included your first three in my list. How could I forget Currie sitting on the ball. Has Bramall Lane ever seen anything like it.

We didn't get the win but the first half performance was probably the best I have ever seen us play, and I possibly will never see us see us play better than that. We completely blew away a good Man Utd side that finished 3rd that season.
The late equaliser from McBurnie, after a long VAR check, almost felt like a winner.

That month or two we were phenomenal. Coincided with Mousset looking like one of the league's best CFs.

sufc 5 arsenal 0

sufc 4 aston villa 1
This

Following on from the thread below, which I haven’t read as I don’t like dwelling on negativity, here is my list of the best at Bramall Lane.
In no particular order:
Utd1 Brentford 0; 2023, this is a surprise entry, but whilst the match wasn’t the best, the occasion, sense of relief, resurgence of hope etc etc and return of you know who, it just felt so good.
For me living in Nottingham it has to be the win in December 197? when we got our first of the season and the play off semi at the Lane when we were down and out until a magician appeared !

Surprised no one's mentioned the 4.3 play off victory v Forest with paul peschisolido's mazy run and goal.
This season's win v Wolves was memorable for the winner, the joy and relief when Norwood hammered the pen in after so much dross. Although certainly not a best performance seen at the Lane contender. The FA Cup run under Basset Man U 2.1 at home when they were good and the Blackburn QF replay win when they were also good are worth a mention.

Blades 4-0 Fulham 2021/22.

Needed a last day win to secure a play-off place against the Champions, who’d won 100+ points and scored about a million goals. They’d just thrashed a play-off rival in Luton 7-0 a few days earlier whilst our injury hit team had been limping towards the top 6.

We absolutely battered them in every department. Front three of Berge, Ndiaye and Gibbs-White all scored in the first half and ran them ragged.

Very enjoyable afternoon in the sun.

Some good ones here.

One that's not been mentioned is the 5-3 v. Cardiff in 2003. It was 0-0 at half time. Some cracking goals - including Jack Lester's Gazza-esque strike.

We also beat Rotherham 5-0 in the same week, at home, too.

Blades 2 Owls 0 1991/92. Part of the Blades double. Deane & Whitehouse.

They couldn't live with us that day. We were the underdogs. Typical Harry type of display.

Woods brickin'it every time we went near his area.

We didn't have much quality that day....thought it was quite an even match
It was like a scrappy cup tie where we showed more effort and commitment and just about deserved the win.

I enjoyed the return 3-1 win away at Hillsboro more because it wasn't just your stereotypical battling Bassett display.
That night our away tactics were brilliant, we sat back defending in numbers, Wednesday had loads of the ball but struggled to create a single chance. Where as we didn't attack much but always looked really dangerous. Any neutral would say we were the better team on the night.

Last edited:

Agree.....will always remember that match.

I remember at half-time thinking I must be dreaming, think we were winning 2-0 but we totally outclassed Man United.
Felt disappointed that it was only 2-0, our dominance deserved a bigger half-time lead.
Without exagerration.....at times we were playing ticka tacka...short passing possession football like Barcelona.
Man Utd simply couldn't get the ball and looked really poor....almost felt embarrassed for them....it wasn't a contest.
However as we know 2-0 is often a dangerous scoreline, they pulled a goal back out of the blue and at 2-1 Man Utd suddenly started to play.
Think we conceded 3 goals in less than 10 minutes and incredibly from 2-0 and coasting, we were 3-2 down.

Same for me, this period was the best I've ever seen a United team play.

The team picked itself, the system was at its best, lots of players were at their peak including when Mousse looked like he was becoming an elite striker, Jack O'C was a colossus, Enda and George were the best wingback pair in the country, Fleck and Lunny had the energy in midfield and Didz was sublime.

21 Oct 2019 SUFC 1 - 0 Arsenal
26 Oct 2019 West Ham 1 - 1 SUFC
2 Nov 2019 SUFC 3 - 0 Burnley
9 Nov 2019 Spurs 1 - 1 SUFC
24 Nov 2019 SUFC 3 - 3 Man U

In no particular order:
The 1-0 game in which Hamson scored the winner was against Liverpool, not Leeds.

Best ones I've seen...

Blades 6 WBA 0 (2000) Bent
Blades 3 West Ham 0 (2007) Dismantled them at home
Blades 2 Liverpool 1 (2003) semi final joy in the 1st leg
Blades 3 FL Derby 1 (2018) The moment we showed we were promotion candidates.
MK Don's 0 Blades 3. More about the occasion, but we were always going to win that by a few. Just a joyous day for 7k Blades in the away end.

I wasn't at the MK game, but it felt like a catharsis for the previous years of shit we'd experienced at that stadium. It felt like the final box we needed to tick in League 1.

Back
Top Bottom