Six of the Best - The Best Performances Seen at The Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Agree.....will always remember that match.

I remember at half-time thinking I must be dreaming, think we were winning 2-0 but we totally outclassed Man United.
Felt disappointed that it was only 2-0, our dominance deserved a bigger half-time lead.
Without exagerration.....at times we were playing ticka tacka...short passing possession football like Barcelona.
Man Utd simply couldn't get the ball and looked really poor....almost felt embarrassed for them....it wasn't a contest.
However as we know 2-0 is often a dangerous scoreline, they pulled a goal back out of the blue and at 2-1 Man Utd suddenly started to play.
Think we conceded 3 goals in less than 10 minutes and incredibly from 2-0 and coasting, we were 3-2 down.
Agree also. Great night at the Lane. Also the peak moment of Lys Mousset's life. Fancy being in your mid-twenties and knowing it never gets better than that. What a waste.

Someone's just mentioned the 6-0 against Spuds. Talk about out of the blue.

The other recent Spurs game - in the cup last year. In hindsight this was classic Hecky - soak up anything they had to throw at us for 45 minutes. Then bring the starboy on, score a fantastic goal and shut up shop. Apart from one header by the world‘s best centre forward late on we didn’t give them a sniff.

Seemed like an ideal blueprint for the season to come….

September 89 in the Bassett Division 2 promotion season

United 5 Brighton 4 - 3 nil up in no time, 3-4 down with 10 to go, John Francis (I think) last minute diving header to win it!

Paul Wood played for them and rag us ragged
I was in Blackpool for the weekend but I caught a train to and back from Sheffield on the Saturday to watch the match and didnt regret it! My mates thought I was daft!

Blades 7 Northampton 3
Luton 3 blades 6
Oldham 1 blades 5
Week after Portsmouth 0 blades 3
My favourite ever away game as Portsmouth had won 6 home games and conceded none till Steve foley turned up
Pompey and Oldham were the top two and we thrashed both in a week .

I'm going to throw the 2-0 win over Sunderland on the opening day of the 1997/98 season into the mix. They'd just come down from the Premier League and we absolutely played them off the park, playing some sublime stuff. It was was Deano's return and maybe the best debut we've ever seen at the Lane from Vas Borbokis. Could easily have been 5 or 6-0.

Not a complete performance, but I remember a match against Liverpool in the early 90s where we could and should have been about 7-0 up after about 20 minutes. In true Blades fashion, the match ended 0-0.

Following on from the thread below, which I haven’t read as I don’t like dwelling on negativity, here is my list of the best at Bramall Lane.
In no particular order:
Utd 3 West Ham 2; the famous quality goal by a quality player goal by the goat.
Utd 5 Cardiff 1; the match which virtually assured promotion in 1970/71
Utd 1 Leeds 0; famous cup win when Hamson scored at the Shoreham End
Utd 1 Arsenal 0; an absolute classic when we had to play with Jags in goal
Utd 3 Pigs 1; 2003 when M Brown scored an absolute cracker
Utd1 Brentford 0; 2023, this is a surprise entry, but whilst the match wasn’t the best, the occasion, sense of relief, resurgence of hope etc etc and return of you know who, it just felt so good.
I can't disagree with that mate ,the cardiff one sticks out in my memory most of all .I think i am correct in thinking it was a crunch match that would decide who went up . Gil Reece scored a blinding header while stood on the 18 yard line with an unstoppable header .He was only small but he could get up so high and the best header of a ball i have seen in a Blades shirt ..There is loads of unforgettable memories in your list mate M Browns thunder bolt against the pigs ,what a strike . Also agree with the Brentford inclusion it change the mood of the club and the fans within it's 90 mins .

I'm going to throw the 2-0 win over Sunderland on the opening day of the 1997/98 season into the mix. They'd just come down from the Premier League and we absolutely played them off the park, playing some sublime stuff. It was was Deano's return and maybe the best debut we've ever seen at the Lane from Vas Borbokis. Could easily have been 5 or 6-0.

Not a complete performance, but I remember a match against Liverpool in the early 90s where we could and should have been about 7-0 up after about 20 minutes. In true Blades fashion, the match ended 0-0.
0-0, Boxing day? Was freezing.

Agree.....will always remember that match.

I remember at half-time thinking I must be dreaming, think we were winning 2-0 but we totally outclassed Man United.
Felt disappointed that it was only 2-0, our dominance deserved a bigger half-time lead.
Without exagerration.....at times we were playing ticka tacka...short passing possession football like Barcelona.
Man Utd simply couldn't get the ball and looked really poor....almost felt embarrassed for them....it wasn't a contest.
However as we know 2-0 is often a dangerous scoreline, they pulled a goal back out of the blue and at 2-1 Man Utd suddenly started to play.
Think we conceded 3 goals in less than 10 minutes and incredibly from 2-0 and coasting, we were 3-2 down.

Not sure how well this might work without a FB account but this has some of the passing highlights you mentioned

A number of the games mentioned including the play off v Forest and the thrashing of Arsenal , superbly orchestrated by TC are very high on my list .

Another , which few will have had the joy of watching was on a cold but gloriously sunny Boxing Day in 1957.
It was a 4-2 win against a strong Blackburn Rovers side which marked the debut (with the almost inevitable goal) of a player who was to become one of my all time favourites , the wonderful ‘Doc’ Pace .

Oh Happy Day .

Let's do it in chronological order:

1-0 v Leeds. League Cup, 1970. Currie scoring at Lane End.
5-1 v Cardiff. Div 2, 1971. First promotion clincher (I know . . .) and best night of my life at that point.
3-0 v Leeds. Div 1, 1971. Just promoted and proper battering a team I hated more than the Pigs at the time.
5-0 v Arse. Div 1, 1973. 4-0 after the best 20 minutes I ever remember at the Lane.
3-1 v Pigs. Div 2, 2003. Completely bossed the bastards except for Pieman. Could have been 6.
0-3 v QPR, Div 2, 2010. Last time we ever had the Hoofy bastard in the dugout. A proper blight on the club removed, took time to recover but . . .

Special Note:
4-1 v Torquay. Div 4, 1982. Not a great performance per se, but arguably the best ever 5 minutes. Score on 40 mins 0-0, score at half time 4-0. I'm sure the dullness of the first 40 probably meant some ditched the game to get ahead of the queues at half time. Big mistake!

Blades 3.2 Sunderland 1978 I think. Was on match of the day too. My first time on the Kop. Was hooked then. Alex Sabella, Peter Anderson.

I can't disagree with that mate ,the cardiff one sticks out in my memory most of all .I think i am correct in thinking it was a crunch match that would decide who went up . Gil Reece scored a blinding header while stood on the 18 yard line with an unstoppable header .He was only small but he could get up so high and the best header of a ball i have seen in a Blades shirt .
Wasnt a header. What the Morning Telegraph or the Star wrote about the goal

A mistake by the craggy Murray was latched on to by Woodward. The winger swiftly headed on the misplaced pass to Reece who lashed in an 18 yard drive which Eadie got his finger tips to but which still sped into the top left hand corner.

I was going to suggest that one too. We were absolutely brilliant that day, but the 0-0 scoreline just looks boring on paper.

The 2-0 win against Liverpool in 1992 was also a wonderful team performance. We comfortably won against one of the best English teams despite the ref giving them (Liverpool) everything.

Back
Top Bottom