History says we are down

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Disappointing and sad that our great old club is in the record books for all the wrong reasons.

UTB

The league is a different animal now. In answer to your question was it 4 or 5 points? It was definitely 1 win.
4 points no league wins up to Forest thrashed Oldham in the milk cup or whatever it was but we were scoring goals in the league even in that dire run

4 points no league wins up to Forest thrashed Oldham in the milk cup or whatever it was but we were scoring goals in the league even in that dire run
Zenith Data Systems Cup. And we'd already beaten Northampton and Everton in the League Cup.

As much as I'd like to believe 90/91 could happen again, the 20/21 table is looking a much better bellwether (though we are closer to "safety" now, just). Spurs were top then too...

1698931223072.png

Disappointing and sad that our great old club is in the record books for all the wrong reasons.

UTB
if we survive that will all change though
theres still 4 clubs within 2 wins at the bottom
may be a record low points total to stay up

28 games offers 84 points at stake which means in theory we could still make a Champions League spot
but I won't be putting money on it and don't recommend putting a bet on

if we dont get another point we cant be relegated until 12 or 13 games left

Sheffield United are only the fourth team in English top-flight history with one point or fewer in their opening 10 games of a season, along with Manchester United in 1930-31
Or, history says we are set to become one of the world's biggest clubs ;) 🍺

As much as I'd like to believe 90/91 could happen again, the 20/21 table is looking a much better bellwether (though we are closer to "safety" now, just). Spurs were top then too...

View attachment 173940
no 2 seasons are ever alike
no 2 games are rarely alike
our sole aim is to finish top of this table
17 Bournemouth10-13 6
18 Luton Town 10-11 5
19 Burnley FC 10-17 4
20 Sheff Utd 10-22 1

we have yet to play any of them
bournemouth only on 6 as they beat burnley
and burnleys 4 as they beat luton

Last edited:

Admittedly we seem feeble at the moment (with everything we’re up against) but maybe we’ll get a bit stronger later in the season, if (!) we can get some of the injured players back? Then maybe we can pick up some points against the teams in the lower half? Amazingly we’re still not cut adrift, so although relegation seems highly likely, it’s not nailed on - yet. (Trying to be optimistic here for a change!)

I haven't seen anyone for Wilder saying that he'll keep us up. I haven't seen anyone posting Hecky out suggest that any new manager would keep us up, so I've no idea where you've got that from.

Could be referring to my inference. I have said we need a miracle to stay up but we've seen with our own eyes what Wilder can do

Northampton were struggling near the bottom of league 2 then the following season he wins the league with 99 points.
Then with Sheff Utd, taking a club from bottom of league 1 to challenging for a Champions League spot in the Premier League with mainly lower players 4 years later would be classed as impossible, yet he did it, he performed a miracle.

but I did make it clear I'm not convinced taking Wilder is good for the long term and I expect us to finish on at most 25 points with him
and be relegated. I suppose with Wilder I'd have a tiny bit of hope, where as currently there's no hope.

Comparing the 3 seasons with the terrible starts after 11 games:

1990-1 W0 D3 L8 F6 A22 Pts 3
2020-1 W0 D1 L10 F5 A18 Pts 1
2023-4 W1 D1 L9 F9 A30 Pts 4

some twats could stay up wi' 25 points this season.
Hi Stegosaurus here

I honestly think this year e'll see a team stay up with 20 points. Us, Burnley, Luton and Bournemouth are all absolute shit. Other than the occasional fluke win (like us against Wolves) the only games each team is gonna see as winnable is against others in the League of Four Losers.

While we had a terrible start the only stat that really matters is points from safety. If we were 8 or so adrift we would be done for.

It's 2 points making the whole worst ever start slightly misleading

While we had a terrible start the only stat that really matters is points from safety. If we were 8 or so adrift we would be done for.

It's 2 points making the whole worst ever start slightly misleading
I really think we need to be looking at the gap to Everton and the rest. Sure, we're 2 points off safety but chances are we go down if we're in a mini-league of 4 where 3 are relegated. The seven point gap to Everton is the one that counts for me.

At this moment there are probably 5 teams who feel the same way
( I’m including Everton as they should have an FFP points deduction)
So at least 2 of those 5 will avoid the drop.
And I think with the head to head games against those 5 we should have the best chance of being 1 of those 2 😀

Someone is also going to fall off a cliff. I'm thinking Fulham.

the next 4 games are critical, and will define our season, lose to Luton and Burnley and there is no way back, win, nd we’re totally in the front foot and the confidence will go through the roof.

Perhaps the 8 0 / 5 0 is a blessing in disguise, as it sent a seismic wake-up to the sub par players. Mcatee an Archer seemed reborn after the Wolves game, playing faster and stronger. More of that, injured back, old guard memories still around and we might have a chance.
With the turd season, it was mostly 1 0 losses, and so lulling each match into complacency, that we nearly got it right.
A catastrophic loss that could easily have been worse, can be more valuable then 1 0 losses.

Back
Top Bottom