Six of the Best - The Best Performances Seen at The Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Agree.....will always remember that match.

I remember at half-time thinking I must be dreaming, think we were winning 2-0 but we totally outclassed Man United.
Felt disappointed that it was only 2-0, our dominance deserved a bigger half-time lead.
Without exagerration.....at times we were playing ticka tacka...short passing possession football like Barcelona.
Man Utd simply couldn't get the ball and looked really poor....almost felt embarrassed for them....it wasn't a contest.
However as we know 2-0 is often a dangerous scoreline, they pulled a goal back out of the blue and at 2-1 Man Utd suddenly started to play.
Think we conceded 3 goals in less than 10 minutes and incredibly from 2-0 and coasting, we were 3-2 down.
I enjoyed that game a lot but as I recall Hendo couldnt play and Jags had to play at centre back. We were shaky at the back. With hendo in and Jags out we would have beaten them comfortably - which would have been nice.

I enjoyed that game a lot but as I recall Hendo couldnt play and Jags had to play at centre back. We were shaky at the back. With hendo in and Jags out we would have beaten them comfortably - which would have been nice.
John Egan missed two games that season, both against Manchester United. The first was through injury, the second after he was sent off at Newcastle. We conceded three in each. We also conceded three after he was dismissed in the 50th minute at St James's Park. The only other game we conceded three in was the last day of the season at Southampton when we'd given up.

Another one worthy of a mention.

Blades 0-0 Gillingham 2003/04

A brave, courageous 0-0 draw against an opponent Neil Warnock said even Real Madrid would struggle against
I think that was the featured game on Yorkshire TV's Goals On Sunday and John Helm said something like "Today's game is sure to be a feast of goals"

Blades 2 Owls 0 1991/92. Part of the Blades double. Deane & Whitehouse.

They couldn't live with us that day. We were the underdogs. Typical Harry type of display.

Woods brickin'it every time we went near his area.
Said it before. This was some atmosphere.

We were lambs to the slaughter by all reason, and reacted like cornered dogs. Goosepimples thinking about it.

Forest semifinal win.
Charlton in quarters when we were in league 1.
Coventry in the quarters through on penalties.
Arsenal in the fa Cup when Veart scored.
Pigs when brown scored a worldie.

In terms of quality of performance rather than the excitement of the occasion:

United beating Villa 4-1 in 17/18 but even higher in quality was when they beat Villa 2-0 with those beautiful team goals that Fleck finished off.

Pasting Burnley last season - we looked the tits

Sadly the behind closed doors wins against Tottenham and Chelsea will forever be symbols of what might have been.

The forest semi has to be right up there for quality of performance, the size of the game, the atmosphere and the spectacular way the game unfolded. Two very good teams going hell for leather and we scored 2 magnificent goals

Not seen it mentioned and probably wasn't a great "performance" but beating Manchester United in the 5th round of the FA Cup in 1993 gave me great pleasure.

Big underdogs and rode our luck but coming from behind to win 2-1 with a great Hodges goal was pretty special.

Not seen it mentioned and probably wasn't a great "performance" but beating Manchester United in the 5th round of the FA Cup in 1993 gave me great pleasure.

Big underdogs and rode our luck but coming from behind to win 2-1 with a great Hodges goal was pretty special.
Great shout
What a game and atmosphere

September 89 in the Bassett Division 2 promotion season

United 5 Brighton 4 - 3 nil up in no time, 3-4 down with 10 to go, John Francis (I think) last minute diving header to win it!

Paul Wood played for them and rag us ragged
I was going to say the same game, brilliant memories and hard to believe it's that long ago!

6-1 Chester 88/89. Agana hat trick in the 1st half, Deane hat trick in the 2nd. Absolutely steamrollered them.

2-1 Manchester United 92/93 Opening game of the PL. We matched Man Utd man for man and fully deserved the win

2-0 Sunderland 97/98 First game of Spackmans reign. 3-5-2 formation. Played some absolutely scintillating stuff and promised a brighter future

1-0 Arsenal 06/07. This was when Arsenal were in their pomp and very hard to beat. Christian Nade and Jagielka in the net. Warnocks signature petgitnance

2-0 Ipswich 19/20. The game that effectively sealed promotion. A solid and controlled performance when the pressure was on. Remember never feeling as calm and confident before a big match

5-2 Burnley 22/23. The second half routing of Burnley. It’s been a long time since we have so comprehensively battered a side in a half of football
That Chester game always bugs me as it was the only league home game I missed that season.

To be fair we had lots of games where we talked up big numbers I seem to recall 4 against Bolton, 5 against Huddersfield, 4 against Blackpool......

Blackburn Rovers FA Cup QF night match Mitch Ward was inspirational 1992/93

Also way back early sixties United best Leicester 3-1 and Billy Hodgson was unbelievable

Best goal Tony Currie 30 yard scorcher v Bristol City FA Cup I think it was third or fourth round early seventies

United beat pigs we had just got promoted we won 2-0 their keeper got nutmegged early 90’s

Early seventies beat pigs we were winning 2-0 then it was 2-2 then we got the winner Lane was rocking early seventies

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom