Saturday 3pm TV Blackout no more?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

originaltrueblade

Reaction score
Authorities looking at cancelling the TV Saturday 3pm TV blackout from season 2024

They can suck my balls and tongue my arsehole. I'd love to see them 'cancelled' by a hangman's noose, but we don't live in a just world, sadly.

Dagger through the heart of lower league football , unless there is some kind of
compensation scheme. Can u imagine what Man City v Liverpool at 3pm will do to attendances in div1/2, the national league and all levels down?

This is just a tender to see if there's any interest. I can't see apple, Amazon or Google biting for lower tier football rights tbh

Dagger through the heart of lower league football , unless there is some kind of
compensation scheme. Can u imagine what Man City v Liverpool at 3pm will do to attendances in div1/2, the national league and all levels down?
I don't really buy this argument. Would it stop you going to watch United if Man City vs Liverpool was on at the same time? I know it wouldn't for me, so why would it for fans of League 1/2 clubs?

I don't really buy this argument. Would it stop you going to watch United if Man City vs Liverpool was on at the same time? I know it wouldn't for me, so why would it for fans of League 1/2 clubs?
I agree, particularly if you support a Tranmere, Oldham, Salford, Stockport, Wigan etc then you support those clubs and don't care a jot about what happens between Man City and Liverpool, other than maybe a glance at your phone at full time to check the scores.

It's the much lower down that it'll hurt, where people might sack off a non league game to stay in and watch City v Liverpool on Sky.

Probably more to do with the floating fan. Those that occasionally go, not the die hards. They're more likely to stay in or go to the pub and spend 20 quid on beer than going to spend 20 on a lower league game.

Probably more to do with the floating fan. Those that occasionally go, not the die hards. They're more likely to stay in or go to the pub and spend 20 quid on beer than going to spend 20 on a lower league game.
Still don't buy it. You can't attend a 3pm kick off match in person and watch the 1pm or 5pm on the TV in full

Pig fans have a Premier League team as well, FACT.

I agree, I think that’s probably the way authorities used to think about it 50 years ago, Stockport and Tranmere playing on Friday nights so as not to clash with the big neighbours and that was without TV.

Nowadays television match broadcasts are so much more widespread, daily in fact, that supporters who go to matches know that watching on the TV is a poor substitute.

I‘m lucky if I get to one match a season and then, that weekend costs me about a grand, but I still do it and if I could go more often I would, A high percentage of the games I‘ve got to are still televised. It’s no substitute for attending a match. My two games was watching us at Bristol City and Watford sat with their fans, no way would even that have been better for me by staying in and watching it on Sky.

Who’d go back to days of if you don’t go don’t see the match unless on sky etc

Ask me that when I’m working late on a Tuesday and Get in at 7 just in time to put sutv app on 😁

There's no blackout in other european leagues and there's no real evidence to show it's affected attendences. Personally would love to have 3pm kickoffs televised, currently unless you have a ticket for an away game with 3pm kickoff you're stuck with radio sheffield which is decent but you can never really know what's happening and if your not physically in sheffield your shafted.

Authorities looking at cancelling the TV Saturday 3pm TV blackout from season 2024
Sounds like another revenue stream for the FA. They wouldn't do it if wasn't generating more cash for them.

I can understand bringing the winter games forward in the day if it prevents the use of floodlights for lower league clubs. This however is just nonsense. Sort out the more pressing issues with football instead.

I don't think it relates to that scenario.

The way I heard it was it's just the EFL (not the PL) that have agreed to have their matches shown on live TV at 3pm.
All PL matches matches continue to be shown at the normal times of 12.30, 17.30 etc.

However the EFL guess they can negotiate a better deal because they will be allowing Sky to show a Championship fixture at 3pm.
So for anyone with a Sky subscription on a Saturday they can watch football continuously
a PL match at 12.30, then a Championship match at 3pm, then a PL match at 5.30pm.

Also I think the controversial bit is that every EFL match will probably be available on the red button to view on Sky.
So this could lead to some fans (when it's a long journey or bad weather) thinking may as well stay at home and watch the match.
The danger is some clubs could see a large reduction in attendances or you might even grow a fan culture who prefer to watch most of their clubs matches on TV.

Last edited:
I don't think it relates to that scenario.

The way I heard it was it's just the EFL (not the PL) that have agreed to have their matches shown on live TV at 3pm.
All PL matches matches continue to be shown at the normal times of 12.30, 17.30 etc.

However the EFL guess they can negotiate a better deal because they will be allowing Sky to show a Championship fixture at 3pm.
So for anyone with a Sky subscription on a Saturday they can watch football continuously
a PL match at 12.30, then a Championship match at 3pm, then a PL match at 5.30pm.

Also I think the controversial bit is that every EFL match will probably be available on the red button to view on Sky.
So this could lead to some fans (when it's a long journey or bad weather) thinking may as well stay at home and watch the match.
The danger is some clubs could see a large reduction in attendances or you might even grow a fan culture who prefer to watch most of their clubs matches on TV.
Good post mate, plus the fact if the cost of living crisis is still going and people are watching their finances, let's say 35-40 quid to go to the lane, or watch it on telly, perhaps with a couple of friends in a pub...no brainer for em....going to be the pub I am thinking.

To be honest in the world of iFollow and VPNs a lot of people can get around it so I don't see it affecting attendances too much. I think it's more the EPL/EFL realising they're losing the battle so trying to get a bigger piece of the financial pie by showing the games themselves.

Um ... and ex-Pats.

Some of us have lived elsewhere for 45 years yet still retain our Bladey-Bladeness.

Unless people prefer we supported other teams?

pommpey

I’m hoping that it comes available through SUTV, or its successor.

I’d definitely buy (for example) an away season ticket - especially if the money (or the majority of it) went directly to dem Blades

Always assuming we’re not in the PL, obviously 🥳

Won't this be more damaging to non-league teams? I know lots of fans around the country who go to non-league games when their team isn't playing.

Ones out of range

Be fucked if I am spending £200 for petrol plus price of ticket per match when I can watch it for fifty bucks a year on my firestick. And I am usually busy Saturday evenings too

pommpey
Was going to say, just keep the one’s with a sense of humour, and you’ve gone and ruled yourself out, now.

To be honest in the world of iFollow and VPNs a lot of people can get around it so I don't see it affecting attendances too much. I think it's more the EPL/EFL realising they're losing the battle so trying to get a bigger piece of the financial pie by showing the games themselves.
100% this

Agree...could be right....that's obviously why the EFL believe it's OK to allow Sky to stream any or all their matches Saturday 3pm matches.
They believe they will be a more attractive product and can negotiate a bigger slice of the pot if they allow Sky to stream all the Saturday matches.

Maybe Sky are keen to pay for permission to show these matches as an effort to kill off illegal streaming methods.
It's also an extra bonus or persuasion to buy Sky Sports if they know every Saturday 3pm game in the Championship is being shown live on the red button.
There is talk that the future of football is that every single game played in the top 2 divisions will be available to viewers sat at home.

I suppose it's a bit like the government legalising canabis smoking and making it available to buy in the supermarket in the tobacco section.
Why bother buying from a dealer.....might be a little cheaper but you don't know what's in it....may as well just nip into Tesco.

Last edited:
Anyone that would have gone to a lower league game but wouldn't have done so if their main team was televised can find their game through illegal channels trivially anyway. This ruling is based on a fear that has been proven not to be the case, and anyone thinking Sky would put Man City v Liverpool at 3pm on a Saturday is fucking deluded. Similarly anyone thinking that being able to legally watch Crystal Palace against Everton against at 3pm on a Saturday will cost Bradford City any money is fucking deluded

I have always been against the blackout being taken away, but 2 things are swaying me in the other direction.

First is the idea that there can be an equitable sharing of streaming proceeds that are received as a consequence, and more money going down the pyramid in return for the right for Sky or whoever to show a 3pm game. Probably pie in the sky, but that should be the EFL's starting position.

The other thing is what people are saying in this thread. I have come round to the view that it won't be as big a hit on EFL attendance, and revenue, as people might think. This is partly because a much higher percentage of people have season tickets now so will go anyway regardless of who's on TV, but mainly because people will continue to watch their own teams because they care more about them than the EPL. We see this already with Red Button coverage and the EFL and CL playing the same night.

I listened to Barry Hearn talk about the battle to get Leyton Orient into a scaled down Olympic stadium. Hearn set out his complaints about that process (and he has genuine grievances) but he did admit he got one thing wrong. He thought moving West Ham so close to Leyton Orient would kill the club. It did not. Their attendances have increased in the 6 or 7 years since. Hearn said that Orient fans don't care how close West Ham are: they want to watch their own team.

I think the same will be found if the blackout goes. We are not like other countries (eg Italy) where every fan of a lower division side has a second team in the top division. I personally don't give a crap about watching other teams if we are playing at the same time (I don't give a crap about the PL at all if we are not in it) and I suspect there are many like me.

Back
Top Bottom