Match Thread FA Cup: Gillingham v. Sheffield United - 6th January 2024

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GILLS
GILLS
GILLS

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1704458899841.png vs. 1704458908760.png

FA Cup Third Round - Saturday 6th January 2024 - 15:00 - Priestfield Stadium
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Player Ratings:
Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/gillingham-vs-sheffield-united.696/

Officials:

Referee: Darren Bond
Assistants: Darren Cann, Matthew Wilkes
Fourth Official: James Linington

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 12.47.03.png

cracking victory, 4-0 it was very comfortable. which isnt to be underestimated. that credit to the players, as this game could very easily been huge banana skin. just look at wrexham last yr, watford & Norwich today, & no disrespect to Gillingham but i think for once it was us that was in 1st gear for alot of the 2nd half as we were never in much danger. which is a nice change 😄

that 3rd goal you have to wonder what was going off with gills defence organisation. it was like us v burnley

Screenshot_20240106_164951_Twitter.jpg

Good result,not sure what happened as went to Wakefield v Harrogate Railway.
Good to hear Osula on the scoresheet though,and a win and clean sheet..UTB!

Far from convincing performance but a few good performances from McAtee, Osula, RND, Wes. Brooks had some good moments. Brewster had some lovely touches and turns when he came on. BBD only had 20 mins but he looks a way off the standard. Wasn't sold on the signing and some warning signs there that big improvements are needed from him.
Writing him off before he kicks a ball then saying your right after 20 minutes.

He was fine he come on ran around a bit. I would need to see him few games before stating anything

Last third of the pitch is where he is most dangerous he needs to be playing from half way line forward - moving defenders across and out of the defensive shape to create space for mids n defenders to play up the pitch to his strengths
If he’s playing in his defensive last third then that says he’s in a struggling team with little outlet to feed him
I must have read that half a dozen times and I don't know where to start with it
Think I'll just leave it

Reyt then, since I couldn't watch what I'm getting from this thread is:

We're disappointed in the new lad who's had perhaps 1 training session max with the team for not bagging a hat trick. We're happy Osula almost bagged a hat trick, nothing really said about Macca almost managing a hat trick. We're annoyed they managed to almost score and we're very unhappy with the 4-0 win because it wasn't the right type of 4-0 win?

And last week some of us were quite disappointed we didn't concede more against City.

Oh to be a Blade eh

Writing him off before he kicks a ball then saying your right after 20 minutes.

He was fine he come on ran around a bit. I would need to see him few games before stating anything
Not the only person to say it. And i will hold back on any verdict on him until he’s had a few more games which i feel is more fair, but as a first showing it was concerning for a player whos had a pre-and half a season under their belt and facing a team 3 leagues lower.

I think he had the ball about 7/8 times. Made about 3 back passes which found a man but going forward he ran into their players or passed it straight to them multiple times. His touch was very heavy.

Hopefully it’s just a case of getting to know the team a bit better but that doesn’t excuse the bad touches.

The best of a bad bunch … the least worst option and for £20 million what a waste

So he isn’t a waste of a slot as a striker then is he if he’s the best option we have.

Wilders hat was pretty funky though wasn't it?

Reyt then, since I couldn't watch what I'm getting from this thread is:

We're disappointed in the new lad who's had perhaps 1 training session max with the team for not bagging a hat trick. We're happy Osula almost bagged a hat trick, nothing really said about Macca almost managing a hat trick. We're annoyed they managed to almost score and we're very unhappy with the 4-0 win because it wasn't the right type of 4-0 win?

And last week some of us were quite disappointed we didn't concede more against City.

Oh to be a Blade eh
That just about nails it

What did people expect of BBD a couple of goals in 20 mins ?
Hes only been with the squad for 24 hours, Hes not had much football recently
He was put on the pitch for a run out. Nothing else

Not the only person to say it. And i will hold back on any verdict on him until he’s had a few more games which i feel is more fair, but as a first showing it was concerning for a player whos had a pre-and half a season under their belt and facing a team 3 leagues lower.

I think he had the ball about 7/8 times. Made about 3 back passes which found a man but going forward he ran into their players or passed it straight to them multiple times. His touch was very heavy.

Hopefully it’s just a case of getting to know the team a bit better but that doesn’t excuse the bad touches.

You say he’s had half a season like he’s played every minute for Villarreal. Whereas in reality he’s started just 2 league games and played very few minutes when he’s got in the pitch.

He’s played 20 minutes today for a team he only signed for yesterday in a game that was already over.

You say he’s had half a season like he’s played every minute for Villarreal. Whereas in reality he’s started just 2 league games and played very few minutes when he’s got in the pitch.

He’s played 20 minutes today for a team he only signed for yesterday in a game that was already over.
Does that mean i’m not allowed to comment? He’s a pro footballer and representing the club. That’s football. The touch and passes were poor. Lets hope it improves.

Does that mean i’m not allowed to comment? He’s a pro footballer and representing the club. That’s football. The touch and passes were poor. Lets hope it improves.

That’s a very strange response. I never even suggested that you weren’t allowed to comment.

You’ve made a point and I happen to think it's an utterly ridiculous one because it’s way, way too early to even think about passing judgement on Brereton-Diaz in terms of his performance on the pitch for us.

Really enjoyed the game. I was impressed with the way we played, can’t be easy to just switch from backs to the wall defence to playing with a bit of freedom. BBD twice showed a lovely touch from balls dropping out of the air. Overran it a couple of times but so what?

That’s a very strange response. I never even suggested that you weren’t allowed to comment.

You’ve made a point and I happen to think it's an utterly ridiculous one because it’s way, way too early to even think about passing judgement on Brereton-Diaz in terms of his performance on the pitch for us.
Only allowed to comment positively then? I’ve given praise to a couple of the other lads i just don’t think diaz looked that great. I didn’t only single diaz out.

I agree it’s way too early to pass a full verdict on him but i can judge him on what I’ve seen in his cameo. Like i have done for some of the others. I’m not disagreeing with your point i think your being a bit sensitive. Will you call out other posters when they dare to say he was average in their match report or player ratings?

Only allowed to comment positively then? I’ve given praise to a couple of the other lads i just don’t think diaz looked that great. I didn’t only single diaz out.

I agree it’s way too early to pass a full verdict on him but i can judge him on what I’ve seen in his cameo. Like i have done for some of the others. I’m not disagreeing with your point i think your being a bit sensitive. Will you call out other posters when they dare to say he was average in their match report or player ratings?

What are you going on about. I’ve not once said that you aren’t allowed to comment or that you should only provide positive comments. You’ve made a point, I’ve disagreed with it and given my reasons. That’s the whole point of the forum.

If you don’t want to discuss why it’s too early to be judging Brereton-Diaz then it’s up to you.

What are you going on about. I’ve not once said that you aren’t allowed to comment or that you should only provide positive comments. You’ve made a point, I’ve disagreed with it and given my reasons. That’s the whole point of the forum.

If you don’t want to discuss why it’s too early to be judging Brereton-Diaz then it’s up to you.
I’ve probably said 2/3 times already that I think it’s too early to give a verdict on him. I was giving an opinion on his cameo which are 2 different things. I’m not writing off his blades career. Anyway, enjoy your eve as i think we are probably going round in circles.

I’ve probably said 2/3 times already that I think it’s too early to give a verdict on him. I was giving an opinion on his cameo which are 2 different things. I’m not writing off his blades career. Anyway, enjoy your eve as i think we are probably going round in circles.

Yep and all I did with my initial reply was to provide a reason as to why his performance today might not have been the best. For example, your comment about him having played half a season was misleading. You quickly ignored my point on this, choosing instead to accuse me of saying that you weren’t allowed to comment.

For what it’s worth, I thought he showed some good touches and some poor touches but that was about what I’d have expected given the circumstances and taking everything into account.

Obviously the truth lies somewhere in between. I’ve not watched the match so I’m interested in how BBD played when he came on.

Apparently he was off the pace and concerning poor. Sounds like some of the feedback from the Villarreal fans.

However his early performances mean very little really and being poor should be half expected. We know what he’s capable of. All he needs is time to fit into the tactics and to build up some fitness and confidence. I’ve no issues with the signing and know that potentially he’s a very good player, a clear upgrade on McBurnie.

🥱

He’s another that’s not done owt since arriving
I would disagree on that one. He has been inconsistent but has chipped in with a couple of goals and when moved back to being a defensive midfielder he has played well. He reads the game well in that position. His passing isn't up to scratch but you can say that about most of the team as prior to Wilders return nobody seemed to know what was going on.

I must have read that half a dozen times and I don't know where to start with it
Think I'll just leave it
Instead of this kind of quote why don't you respond in a balanced way. There is alot of valid points being made. Archer is a finisher and getting the balance of the team right that allows him get on the ball closer to or in the box will result in goals. Every player is required to defend when needed so he will work back too. But primarily he is a final third player.

Instead of this kind of quote why don't you respond in a balanced way. There is alot of valid points being made. Archer is a finisher and getting the balance of the team right that allows him get on the ball closer to or in the box will result in goals. Every player is required to defend when needed so he will work back too. But primarily he is a final third player.
It's nonsense
Saying a striker is better in the final third and then naming teams who don't expect a striker to be involved in anything but having chances created for him is just ludicrous
I honestly can't think of one player in the modern game who plays that way or one manager who would accept it
Be easier to say his hold up play and link up play is toss but then you couldn't have a pop at the club for that

It's nonsense
Saying a striker is better in the final third and then naming teams who don't expect a striker to be involved in anything but having chances created for him is just ludicrous
I honestly can't think of one player in the modern game who plays that way or one manager who would accept it
Be easier to say his hold up play and link up play is toss but then you couldn't have a pop at the club for that
Again you are more interested in taking the extreme view on everything and obviously don't see any validity in the points being made.

Again you are more interested in taking the extreme view on everything and obviously don't see any validity in the points being made.
Your points are valid enough
The original post was that archer would be better in a team where he could just not be involved and simply finish off chances then a list of teams were reeled off that apparently play that way
That is the conversation we are having isn't it or have I misunderstood?
I realise most of these posts weren't by you but you have seemingly taken offence to my replies to these posts

Your points are valid enough
The original post was that archer would be better in a team where he could just not be involved and simply finish off chances then a list of teams were reeled off that apparently play that way
That is the conversation we are having isn't it or have I misunderstood?
I realise most of these posts weren't by you but you have seemingly taken offence to my replies to these posts
I haven't taken offence at all. I was suggesting you bring balance to the discussion. I saw the original posts and responses. It's what you picked up that basically he could just not be involved is not getting the gist of what poster was saying. We have seen that Archer is ineffective when receiving the ball at the halfway line as he gets crowded out before he can shoot.
All strikers need to work back. But when we get on the ball the Archer needs to be as far forward as possible. Hoijland at Man Utd is working hard but not scoring because Garnacho, Rushford and Anthony are not creating chances for him.

In our case I hope that BBD can hold the ball up better which would allow more players to get forward and create chances. If we don't create any chances then Archer is going to be considered a flop in that he is not influential in other aspects of the game. He puts an effort in and can be clever on the ball near the box.

I get what you are saying about managers not liking players who don't work back I agree there but will point out one exception at our club who has been getting off light in that department. Brewster puts no effort in. He wanders back but he makes no effort to run the right channels to stretch a defence. Brewster in my opinion is not half the player Archer I'd. But for some reason people think he will come good.

Back
Top Bottom