Saturday 3pm TV Blackout no more?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would imagine the majority of lower league clubs would actually be in favour of if. From the sounds of it the money they’d get from the television rights would by a lot more than they’d get from gate receipts.

Don’t think it will make massive differences to home attendances, however away attendances may be a different matter.

Also it won’t be just Sky Sports that will
Show games, it’s going to be the likes of Amazon Prime and Netflix.

I'm all for it, blackouts on 3pm KO are outdated. Whether we're on t.v or not, if I want to go to a match in person, I will.

Won't this be more damaging to non-league teams? I know lots of fans around the country who go to non-league games when their team isn't playing.

Don't think I would be too damaging, majority of the attendees at non league clubs are loyal fans.

Plus if their team isn't playing and they go to watch non league football they are still going to watch non league football.

Would imagine the majority of lower league clubs would actually be in favour of if. From the sounds of it the money they’d get from the television rights would by a lot more than they’d get from gate receipts.

Don’t think it will make massive differences to home attendances, however away attendances may be a different matter.

Also it won’t be just Sky Sports that will
Show games, it’s going to be the likes of Amazon Prime and Netflix.
Netflix are on record saying they would never do it as live sporting events are too expensive

Wife works for sky and other sports media. So i asked her about this- Red button was/is an experiment with efl to test the waters with tv coverage impacting attendance. With a view to potentially opening up 3pm games. Efl and also Epl want increase the revenue stream from live games in the Uk, losing battle with illegal streams so want a piece now. Epl are also looking at each team having a stream service accessible via website aswell as a subscription to the chosen team through sky ( sky bundesliga does this very well). This would a sky thing. However should Amazon, apple or netflix bid, then a remodelled sports only subscription is likely. They are definitely lifting the 3pm blackout, its just currently in the planning stages as the infrastructure is not quite finished,most do have it already , but each club will have a dedicated 1Gbps fibre connection for broadcasting. Each club would have at least 1 UHD/ HDRbroadcast camera, Others would be at least HD for different angles, all broadcasts would be fed straight to the hub which will be in Preston, there the efl will do the production remotely ( sound and vision mixing). The investment is very big but they anticipate a large and highly profitable streaming service.

Wife works for sky and other sports media. So i asked her about this- Red button was/is an experiment with efl to test the waters with tv coverage impacting attendance. With a view to potentially opening up 3pm games. Efl and also Epl want increase the revenue stream from live games in the Uk, losing battle with illegal streams so want a piece now. Epl are also looking at each team having a stream service accessible via website aswell as a subscription to the chosen team through sky ( sky bundesliga does this very well). This would a sky thing. However should Amazon, apple or netflix bid, then a remodelled sports only subscription is likely. They are definitely lifting the 3pm blackout, its just currently in the planning stages as the infrastructure is not quite finished,most do have it already , but each club will have a dedicated 1Gbps fibre connection for broadcasting. Each club would have at least 1 UHD/ HDRbroadcast camera, Others would be at least HD for different angles, all broadcasts would be fed straight to the hub which will be in Preston, there the efl will do the production remotely ( sound and vision mixing). The investment is very big but they anticipate a large and highly profitable streaming service.

As far as I can tell, no one has yet mentioned BT getting in on the act…have they ruled themselves out or just been forgotten? Their streaming for iPad is excellent imho. You can go back and watch goals, crucial incidents etc…really great feature

Do you still sell the “dodgy boxes”?

Good post mate, plus the fact if the cost of living crisis is still going and people are watching their finances, let's say 35-40 quid to go to the lane, or watch it on telly, perhaps with a couple of friends in a pub...no brainer for em....going to be the pub I am thinking.

Football has had inflated prices, and amounts of money thrown around for years....

I'm all for anything like this that disrupts the corrupt system that is football, and brings it back down to earth, in reach of everyone like it should be!!✊

Genuinely don't see the issue with this at all.

IPTV is everywhere at the moment and hasn't impacted attendances. Why would I sit at home and watch united on TV, when i can drive 5 miles and be at the game?

Genuinely don't see the issue with this at all.

IPTV is everywhere at the moment and hasn't impacted attendances. Why would I sit at home and watch united on TV, when i can drive 5 miles and be at the game?

Because it would cost you 60/70 quid ? Say if it was you and your son for example

Personally i think it will take a chunk out of the attendances I know I have missed maybe two or three home matches the last couple of seasons when its on the red button and i have a season ticket

I agree with IPTV but if every match is on sky it will be a slippery slope IMO

Proposal to do this for next season according to The Times https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dazn-bids-to-broadcast-every-efl-match-live-5htrdnsl0

Intro from article...

The streaming platform DAZN is bidding to show every EFL match live in the UK and across the world in a move that would lead to the Saturday 3pm blackout being ditched.

If successful — and there is strong competition from rivals — it would mean that all 1,656 matches a season across the Championship, League One and League Two would be screened live. Most of them would remain on Saturdays so the EFL would need to drop the blackout.

Last edited:
I think it's great on initial thought, but interested to hear consensus.

Recon 99% that go will still want to go. Those that can't for whatever reason, can still watch the team.

Think clubs are more likely to gain fans than lose them overall.

Recon 99% that go will still want to go. Those that can't for whatever reason, can still watch the team.

The constant moving of kick off times is alienating fans anyway, so if this puts a stop to that then I'm all for it.

Most other sports have been doing this for years. Especially in the US.

I imagine some of the bigger games will still be moved for the sake of viewing figures but it’s about time the Premier League moved with the times tbh.

beside its another £99 to pay out

i think its dangerous for every EFL team but those lower down in the pyramid. because humans are inherently lazy. i just think are non season ticket holders when its freezing cold or raining or both in winter. are fans going to go or think ill watch it on tv. thats just home games it could decimate away crowds for those like Fleetwood, Accrington, etc. are you really going to Carlisle midweek if its on tv

how long until they actually make the whole thing worse & spread the games out to give them more value for money l, as the old adage is said if it aint broke dont fix it. this all comes down to more money which comes back to how you bar extremely exceptionals you cant run a successful sustainable club in espically the championship. it can be successful or it can be sustainable.

the only idea i liked is that some games could go to terrestrial TV. that never a bad thing because in this modern age viewing figures are worth more in engagement than money

It will depend on:

• the cost per game of the service
  • How easy it is to get a stream

I use SUTV at the moment and I'll happily pay United £10 per game because I know some of the money goes to the club.

It's a bit difference if you have to pay £30 per month for access to all games.

There's no real incentive to pay if you can just find a stream and that paying won't benefit the club.

It will impact on attendances though. Quite badly I'd think for some clubs.

I do see the benefit of having a way to watch away games, but how you'd be able to restrict access is beyond me.

I don’t have IPTV, but I’d personally rather have the option to watch a United match on a legal stream because

1. There is less chance of issues with the stream
2. There is the potential for United to make a few quid
If your only interested in blades then VPN and a sutv season pass should you see reyt. I can watch any football bar pigs so IPTV suits me to ground I get your points though

It will depend on:

• the cost per game of the service
  • How easy it is to get a stream

I use SUTV at the moment and I'll happily pay United £10 per game because I know some of the money goes to the club.

It's a bit difference if you have to pay £30 per month for access to all games.

There's no real incentive to pay if you can just find a stream and that paying won't benefit the club.

It will impact on attendances though. Quite badly I'd think for some clubs.

I do see the benefit of having a way to watch away games, but how you'd be able to restrict access is beyond me.

You don't pay £10 a game unless you're mad (assuming you're an exile like me, and doesn't go to many home games)

Start of the season, pay £25 a month until mid December, when they give you the rest of the season for £90.

So ~200 quid for the season instead of £460

*obviously those who go down the IPTV route will think i'm crackers for paying £200

You don't pay £10 a game unless you're mad (assuming you're an exile like me, and doesn't go to many home games)

Start of the season, pay £25 a month until mid December, when they give you the rest of the season for £90.

So ~200 quid for the season instead of £460

*obviously those who go down the IPTV route will think i'm crackers for paying £200
yeah, I have a season ticket for it (can't get to many games) so much less than £10, but the fact remains I'd happily pay the money is the club are benefiting. I can see the benefit of finding a way that fans can also watch away games, at a cost. Would make clubs money, but no idea how you'd police it.

As fans it's probably best sky get it ( assuming you have sky) and show 3pms on red button like they do midweeks otherwise it's another subscription needed. Although hopefully we will be in the premier league and rarely in the EFL

I think that 99% is a very Conservative estimate.
The option of staying in a pub and watching the game especially if the weather is bad or your side is not doing too well, might be more attractive than you think. Even all round to your mates with a few tinnies might be appealing to some.

Back
Top Bottom