Player Suggestion Rotherhams Keeper

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
I noticed in last night's Ramble that Jimmy said it looks like the miller's keeper would be available at around 750k ,do you think we should be having a word with him now?
Fail to plan,plan to fail UTB/UTR⚔️

I imagine that United have already spoken to his agent. Reading between the lines, it seems the plan was always for us to go back in for the lad in the summer once RUFC have been relegated and the transfer fee involved isn't so prohibitive. Only my thoughts but I reckon there is a very good chance that we will be in for the lad again. Good player too (and yes, I have seen him play live on a few occasions).

yes i think we will be in for him maybe any deal will include a couple of our youngsters going there on loan as part of the deal seing as they will be in league one actually rate johannsen and think hes probably a better keeper than both grbic and wes

I'd be surprised if Grbic wasn't signed to be first choice tbh
Unless Grbic is keen to move on immediately, I can't see us buying another keeper that will expect to start. Amissah as 2nd choice feels very very likely to me. As worrying as that probably should be.

Money.

I noticed in last night's Ramble that Jimmy said it looks like the miller's keeper would be available at around 750k ,do you think we should be having a word with him now?
Fail to plan,plan to fail UTB/UTR⚔️
Too early mate, the price might come down even further end of August.... 😏

Thing is we paid about 2m for Grbic.
We could have just got a loan and waited for Viktor till the summer if that was the plan. But signing Grbic suggests otherwise to me.

This all said, maybe we want competition at GK which would be no bad thing.

Wes clearly either fancies out now or we have decided to release in the summer.
Makes you wonder a bit, seemed to happen when Wilder was appointed. However I suspect any manager coming in after Hecky may have also thought that some goals we conceded were not helped by Wes and made a similar conclusion.

Thing is we paid about 2m for Grbic.
We could have just got a loan and waited for Viktor till the summer if that was the plan. But signing Grbic suggests otherwise to me.

Wes clearly either fancies out now or we have decided to release in the summer.
Makes you wonder a bit, seemed to happen when Wilder was appointed. However I suspect any manager coming in after Hecky may have also thought that some goals we conceded were not helped by Wes and made a similar conclusion.
Yeah when you're conceding easily anyway, keeper errors are the last thing you need. If we thought Grbic was an upgrade it was an understandable transfer, particularly at reported price.

Not really took much notice of this kid, what's the big obsession with him? Conceded 68 in 38 games only 4 clean sheets, people may say buts it's rotherham bottom of the league same goes for both Wes & Grbic but they've been written off by most and there playing in a league that's vastly better than the championship.

I don't think we will really have much of a clue whether Grbic is an upgrade on Wes until he's played a few games in the Championship with a side in front of him that isn't hopelessly out of its depth.

And I also don't think Rotherham's keeper is going to be getting many offers to come in as a first choice at Championship level, for the same reason PL sides won't be queuing round the block to go speed dating with Wes. Whatever their agents might be telling them.

As a Goalkeeper, Viktor Johansson has conceded 68 goals and kept 4 clean sheets in 38 matches in the Championship 2023/2024 season. That means when Johansson is in goal, his team conceded a goal every 50 minutes. Viktor Johansson's per 90 minutes goals conceded stat is 1.79.

In terms of raw goalkeeping, he's saved 152 of the 229 shots faced - meaning Viktor Johansson's save percentage is 66.38%.

As a Goalkeeper, Viktor Johansson has conceded 68 goals and kept 4 clean sheets in 38 matches in the Championship 2023/2024 season. That means when Johansson is in goal, his team conceded a goal every 50 minutes. Viktor Johansson's per 90 minutes goals conceded stat is 1.79.

In terms of raw goalkeeping, he's saved 152 of the 229 shots faced - meaning Viktor Johansson's save percentage is 66.38%.
Based on stats Wes is the 4th best English keeper available.

Goalkeeping is one of the hardest positions to judge, particularly over short periods of time.

A very good keeper will have such good positioning that they rarely need to make spectacular saves, so they might just look very average to most people. Likewise, a poor keeper might have such bad positioning, that they're constantly having to dive for everything and might look good. As well as shot stopping, there is obviously:

• Dealing with crosses (easier to judge, because it's obvious when a keeper can't do this)
  • One-on-ones
  • Sweeping / command of area behind the defensive line
  • Communication with (and organisation of) the defenders
  • General level of error-making (takes time to judge)
  • Confidence to get over errors

For me and not taking anything away from him too much but I don't get what the obsession is with him. Yes he is relatively young at 25. He is the same height as Wes. This season he has started 38 matches and has conceded 77 times so far, although granted Rotherham are bottom of the league with the inflated save amount of 153, he has never proven himself at the level we will be at next season and we don't have the best defence as it is at the moment. If he signs it is at number 1 or competition at 2 as if the latter there are other frees potentially available, Alex McCarthy (aged 34) from Southampton, definitely been out of favour but could easily fill in the "number 2 GK spot"

I don't think the club would be too worried about the £2m paid for Grbic if they think they've made an error and would prefer him to be second choice. If they do feel that way (and I certainly do), I'd expect us to sign another one.

loved having Tracey & Kelly vying for number 1 spot

Don’t think either of Grbic or Johansen are at that level, but would be nice to not shit a brick when keeper goes down injured worrying about his replacement…. Davies 😱

For me and not taking anything away from him too much but I don't get what the obsession is with him. Yes he is relatively young at 25. He is the same height as Wes. This season he has started 38 matches and has conceded 77 times so far, although granted Rotherham are bottom of the league with the inflated save amount of 153, he has never proven himself at the level we will be at next season and we don't have the best defence as it is at the moment. If he signs it is at number 1 or competition at 2 as if the latter there are other frees potentially available, Alex McCarthy (aged 34) from Southampton, definitely been out of favour but could easily fill in the "number 2 GK spot"
Number of goals this lad's reported to have conceded is going up faster than Wednesday attendance figures. It was 68 a few posts ago.

Not really fair on a young 'keeper who's already let in 95 goals this season.

Number of goals this lad's reported to have conceded is going up faster than Wednesday attendance figures. It was 68 a few posts ago.

Not sure if mine might include cup games potentially rather than just league ones but we either take a punt with a vision of him being number 1 for 5 years + like Kelly and Kenny and see where it takes us or we have the loan market/bringing in out of favour older keepers. With how much the squad has changed and will do again its difficult to say if we need long term consistency of position or if we are looking short term (1 or 2 seasons)

Goalkeeping is one of the hardest positions to judge, particularly over short periods of time.

A very good keeper will have such good positioning that they rarely need to make spectacular saves, so they might just look very average to most people. Likewise, a poor keeper might have such bad positioning, that they're constantly having to dive for everything and might look good. As well as shot stopping, there is obviously:

• Dealing with crosses (easier to judge, because it's obvious when a keeper can't do this)
  • One-on-ones
  • Sweeping / command of area behind the defensive line
  • Communication with (and organisation of) the defenders
  • General level of error-making (takes time to judge)
  • Confidence to get over errors
Agree though you forgot distribution of the ball with hands and feet

Not really took much notice of this kid, what's the big obsession with him? Conceded 68 in 38 games only 4 clean sheets, people may say buts it's rotherham bottom of the league same goes for both Wes & Grbic but they've been written off by most and there playing in a league that's vastly better than the championship.

I dont think there is any 'obsession' with the kid. Tbh, we are either interested in the lad or we aren't. From a personal perspective I hope we are in the summer as I have seen him a few times live and i rate him as a decent keeper who could be available at a decent / bargain price. That's about it really, hardly an obsession. If the club go for a different option then fair enough.

The other points that other put forward about him being the keeper of a team at the bottom of the league doesn't really stack up either. We had Kelly and Tracey back in the day and they were the keepers at a club struggling in the league. I wouldn't have swapped either of them for any other keeper in the league as they were very good at their jobs. Not their fault they were behind 10 other players that weren't generally as good as Liverpool's or Man United's at the time. Johannsen is by far RUFCs best player and as he is probably available at a very good price in the summer and he is plying his trade at a local team he is more noticeable. Ask any Millers fan what they think of him....

I dont think there is any 'obsession' with the kid.

The number of threads I've seen on Johanssen would state otherwise, and I would guess most of them are on account of lazy sort by S postcode levels of knowledge, if he was playing for Portsmouth the feeling would probably be "Viktor who?"

loved having Tracey & Kelly vying for number 1 spot

Don’t think either of Grbic or Johansen are at that level, but would be nice to not shit a brick when keeper goes down injured worrying about his replacement…. Davies 😱
Did we not have Kelly, Tracey and Rees (albeit only a sbort while) all at one time?

3 outstanding keepers fighting for no1 spot and 3 keeper that could have been no1s in many teams in top 2 divisions.

100% if we have the option for 2 no1 keepers fighting it out then we should go for that.

I don't know about rest of yous but when wes was either injured or suspended and we was left with Davies the net I wasn't very comfortable.

cant remember the last time we had 2 keepers of equal ability vying for the 1 spot possibly kelly and tracey but its what we need for next season ive not seen anything in grbic to suggest hes any better than wes and im sure chris wants there to be a fight for the keepers jersey

I've not seen him play either so it's hard to judge, but conceeding over 100 goals already this season is he trying to out do Wes ?

I dont think there is any 'obsession' with the kid. Tbh, we are either interested in the lad or we aren't. From a personal perspective I hope we are in the summer as I have seen him a few times live and i rate him as a decent keeper who could be available at a decent / bargain price. That's about it really, hardly an obsession. If the club go for a different option then fair enough.

The other points that other put forward about him being the keeper of a team at the bottom of the league doesn't really stack up either. We had Kelly and Tracey back in the day and they were the keepers at a club struggling in the league. I wouldn't have swapped either of them for any other keeper in the league as they were very good at their jobs. Not their fault they were behind 10 other players that weren't generally as good as Liverpool's or Man United's at the time. Johannsen is by far RUFCs best player and as he is probably available at a very good price in the summer and he is plying his trade at a local team he is more noticeable. Ask any Millers fan what they think of him....
the millers fans i talk to on a regular basis really rate him highly and dont blame him for conceding such a high number of goals more like playing behind a very poor defence .

The number of threads I've seen on Johanssen would state otherwise, and I would guess most of them are on account of lazy sort by S postcode levels of knowledge, if he was playing for Portsmouth the feeling would probably be "Viktor who?"

Or perhaps they are more aware of him because he plays for a local team and they are pals with friends who are Millers and actually really rate the lad. Perhaps some of them (Blades) might actually have seen him play... I don't personally know any Portsmouth fans so I can't say that I've made any attempt to find out about their number 1. He could be shit hot for all I know but then I haven't seen Portsmouth in the flesh so to speak for a good few years. I have seen the Millers a few times fairly recently though and for what it's worth, I actually really rate the lad. Still, he plays for a team at the bottom of the table so he must be shit ...🤔

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom