If you could change one football decision in your United supporting lifetime, what would it be?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not allowing football to carry on with spectators in March 2020.

We might be sat here now with memories of a trip to Europe and another FA cup in the bag.
I'm certain we would have made Europe that season. Also think we would have beaten Arsenal in the FA cup , we where flying. Big decision that blew more than one dream. 😤

Not allowing football to carry on with spectators in March 2020.

We might be sat here now with memories of a trip to Europe and another FA cup in the bag.
If it wasn't for the farce at Villa Park when football returned we might've picked up where we left off. There's nothing in football more important than momentum

If it wasn't for the farce at Villa Park when football returned we might've picked up where we left off. There's nothing in football more important than momentum

I'm convinced this knocked us for six. It's not just a bad refereeing decision like a penalty being turned down, it's a 'one in 7,000 event', a literal goal not being given.

I think if we'd have started with a scrappy 1-0 win, it would have been onwards and upwards.

I'm certain we would have made Europe that season. Also think we would have beaten Arsenal in the FA cup , we where flying. Big decision that blew more than one dream. 😤
Wasn't it a Sunday v Arsenal, it would have been a full house and we'd have done them good and proper I agree. Then after that who really knows. Yes a desperate piece of luck.

I should have worn my home shirt in the first half - against Burnley in the playoff final. I had ended up with too many lucky clothes to wear that season, so I opted to change my outer layer at half time. I got it wrong and I'm sorry to you all.

Also when arriving at my seat for that game I saw, and pointed, at Michael Brown from about five metres away, looking into each others eyes. I was too nervous about the match to smile, or give a thumbs up or anything... so I probably looked like I hated him (my hero at the time).

Fin

(Does not quite answer the question, but I hope you allow this response)
My dad would have not had a job in 1936 which involved him working on Saturdays. Then at least one member of our family would have seen United play in a Cup Final at Wembley.

Not buying Ted mcdougall from bournmouth in 1971 when a fee of 100 Grand had been Agreed he went to manure 2weeks later we Would have def been in europé that year.

Who would you have replaced him with?
This one absolutely does my head in. Who sacks their manager on promotion?

Nobody was calling for it at the time and Warnock had only had a brief stint in the top flight with Notts County 17 years previous so there wasn't exactly an overwhelming body of evidence against him either. So it wasn't like a sliding doors moment where McCabe had a decision to make.

We got relegated by the finest of margins on the last day of the season with a relatively high points tally, most promoted teams are long gone by then. This is against a backdrop of chronic underinvestment from The Biggest Blade in The World, some abysmal refereeing decisions and the whole Tevez saga.

As you say who would have done better with that squad and that budget (who we could have got through the door)? Not the twat who he was eventually replaced with that's for sure.

This one absolutely does my head in. Who sacks their manager on promotion?

Nobody was calling for it at the time and Warnock had only had a brief stint in the top flight with Notts County 17 years previous so there wasn't exactly an overwhelming body of evidence against him either. So it wasn't like a sliding doors moment where McCabe had a decision to make.

We got relegated by the finest of margins on the last day of the season with a relatively high points tally, most promoted teams are long gone by then. This is against a backdrop of chronic underinvestment from The Biggest Blade in The World, some abysmal refereeing decisions and the whole Tevez saga.

As you say who would have done better with that squad and that budget (who we could have got through the door)? Not the twat who he was eventually replaced with that's for sure.
I wonder if it's the Mandela Principle at work here, and after Adkins was moved swiftly on at Southampton, replaced by Mauricio Pottechino, fans from previously promoted/relegated teams, started to re-write history. Like you, I don't remember anyone suggesting Warnock get the chop after promotion. I think it would have ridiculous tbh.

All good (and serious) points. But we know how it ended so in a non serious ‘what decision would you change’ discussion then it’s worth rolling the dice and seeing if we had another outcome. Away at Villa was where I felt we went down, not just the final day. that was the time we could have cemented ourselves as a top tier club for a long period and it was there for the taking. So often the man to get you up isn’t the one to keep you there - but you make a very good point about the shower of shit that came next!!

7 May 1994 4.45 at Stamford Bridge, Wise crosses, Hoddle heads on and Mark Stein just gets to the ball before Dane Whitehouse and...

..whacks a thundering drive against the post.
Moments later, the final whistle goes , the game ends 2-2 and results elsewhere shows Ipswich are relegated with established top flight team United looking at a 5th consecutive season in the first tier.

Not working underneath my car in the 80's as Ozzie Arnott tore through the midlle of Southends half and scored (appropriate for this week) a last gasp minute winner.
Forgetting that your working underneath your car and hearing the score flash on the radio has severe consequense for one's head and exhaust.....

A little "oh dear my oh my i have just banged my head" out of my mouth......
😆
😆 😆 😆

7 May 1994 4.45 at Stamford Bridge, Wise crosses, Hoddle heads on and Mark Stein just gets to the ball before Dane Whitehouse and...

..whacks a thundering drive against the post.
Moments later, the final whistle goes , the game ends 2-2 and results elsewhere shows Ipswich are relegated with established top flight team United looking at a 5th consecutive season in the first tier.
Interesting, Blake made a difference that season, and HAD we stayed up who knows. Of all the final day and play off dramas that still hurts. Similar to the post about Villa away 2007, we could and should have won at Oldham on the Tuesday. I was there and can't remember much about the game but we were winning I think and then it all went badly wrong. After the high of beating newcastle saturday we really had no excuse that night.

Back
Top Bottom