Trial separation

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Edinblade

Reaction score
In order to retain my sanity and positive mental energy, I’ve decided to take a complete break from supporting Sheffield United until the end of the season.
There are only three changes which could reverse this decision:
a) Change of ownership
b) Change of manager
c) Four consecutive wins 😂
This break will include no more posting on this forum with the exception of possibly responding to comments on this thread and no more posting in the Shoutbox.
My intentions are never to irritate or annoy other folk and I’m aware some of my Shoutbox moans when we’re losing are doing just that.
Having followed United (there is only one) for approx 55 years I don’t know how difficult this will be, but I’m determined to try.
The current ownership and management do not deserve a place in my life and I’m determined to remove them.
Compared to many other aspects of life, football is not that important and should not be allowed to affect the way we feel or think, unless it’s in a good way.
Just to be clear, I don’t follow United to win trophies. I don’t mind defeats or relegations, but I detest what’s going on just now. Had we done a Luton and at least given it a go, I would be more than happy. Non of the current team, manager or owner deserve my support and they’ve now lost it, for as long as I decide.
I wish you all the best, and hope I’m back in a positive frame of mind for next season.
Cheers for now,
Edinblade

In order to retain my sanity and positive mental energy, I’ve decided to take a complete break from supporting Sheffield United until the end of the season.
a) Change of ownership
b) Change of manager
This break will include no more posting on this forum with the exception of possibly responding to comments on this thread and no more posting in the Shoutbox.
My intentions are never to irritate or annoy other folk and I’m aware some of my Shoutbox moans when we’re losing are doing just that.
Having followed United (there is only one) for approx 55 years I don’t know how difficult this will be, but I’m determined to try.
The current ownership and management do not deserve a place in my life and I’m determined to remove them.
Compared to many other aspects of life, football is not that important and should not be allowed to affect the way we feel or think, unless it’s in a good way.
Just to be clear, I don’t follow United to win trophies. I don’t mind defeats or relegations, but I detest what’s going on just now. Had we done a Luton and at least given it a go, I would be more than happy. Non of the current team, manager or owner deserve my support and they’ve now lost it, for as long as I decide.
I wish you all the best, and hope I’m back in a positive frame of mind for next season.
Cheers for now,
Edinblade

Fair enough mate, Ive been at that point several times this seaon.

However as game day floats around I find myself fully back to 100% Blade

I 100% understand your sentiment and feelings. This really is a shitshow.

But Sheffield United is actually about us, the fans, more than it is about any owner, manager player or league position. We are the only constant, all the rest of them without exception will eventually be gone.

So I’ll be hanging on in there no matter how bad it gets.

It's when you get past the anger and are left with apathy...

How many empty seats were there on Monday night for what should have been a marquee PL game? Don't know about you guys but i rocked up at 19:55 and stayed in my seat at half time - basically spent £zero onsite...

This level of disinterest extrapolated across our fan base must be really hurting the bottom line...

Hang in there, strap on ya boots. We are heading for our usual slump after we got to the top of the ride, we are flying down that roller coaster without breaks.

But you should know after 55 years of support that there is always light at the end and gravity will pull us back round to the good times for a season or 2, before it all starts again😂.

It's the Sheff Utd life, and it could always be worse.. you could be a pig😂.

a) Change of ownership
b) Change of manager
Cheers for now,
Edinblade

Fair play pal. I totally get where you are coming from as I feel the same way. The absolute capitulation against Villa at home was the straw that broke the camels back for me this season re going to games this season. I won't be walking into Bramall Lane (or any other PL stadium) now for the rest of the season. Might not even watch any more football. Done with it until August.

When United were getting to their arses handed to them by Arsenal, I was at home eating my tea after a long day out at work, and then watching a good film with the missus. I was in a much better frame of mind that evening and the next morning. The result (when I saw it at about 10:30 pm) was met with just a shrug of the shoulders and a swear word.

I refuse (as much as I can possibly detach myself emotionally after supporting United for way too many years) to allow others total incompetence to radically colour my moods.

I generally just look up the final score as knowing we're going to lose is pretty much inevitable with the occasional pleasant surprise. One glance at how much possession we had and shots compared to our opponents tells me all I need to know about how we played, as well as what minute Wilder brought on Osborn.

What's the point in wasting and ruining a Saturday watching a bunch of players who have given up and don't care anymore? As soon as the first goal goes in they stop trying and just let the game go resulting in a humiliating huge loss again.

WE pay to watch Sheffield United. Sheffield United doesn't pay US to watch THEM. Though I'm inclined to think that everytime we concede more than 4 at home the players should be fined a weeks wages and this should refund any fans who attended the match. Maybe then the ****ers might stop giving up and play to the final whistle regardless of result.

11 more meek surrenders to endure before we hopefully see the break up of a squad of what can only be described as the biggest set of surrender monkeys with hearts the size of peas, that I have ever seen in a United shirt. I would say ever seen represent United but that would be a lie as this set of gutless fuckers (with the odd exception and the young uns given exception) sure as hell don't represent SUFC as far as I'm concerned. Most of them should be highly embarrassed and ashamed at their lack of effort at times this season, but no doubt won't be. No professional pride some of them. 11 to go before we can wave a lot of those fuckers goodbye. We should be trying to fix up deals now to get rid of some like Anel.

I reckon it's absolutely fair how anyone feels just now. Some would never step away, some feel they need to, either's understandable.

Results aside, there's absolutely nothing enjoyable about it at the moment. It costs a lot (time as well as money) and apart from owt else going to the Lane is meant to be something to look forward to.

You work hard all week putting up with whatever stresses you have to, but you can think "F*** it, 3 days til the match". It's meant to be a relief and do you a bit of good... even when we're shit, a bit of excitement and a laugh at least.

This is none of that, it's just sitting there bloody miserable and angry with everyone else bloody miserable and angry, watching players who look bloody miserable but have no anger in them. Genuinely depressing and joyless- probably daft that a game can have that effect on you but it does.

Personally I wouldn't judge anyone not wanting to put themselves through it.

11 more meek surrenders to endure before we hopefully see the break up of a squad of what can only be described as the biggest set of surrender monkeys with hearts the size of peas, that I have ever seen in a United shirt. I would say ever seen represent United but that would be a lie as this set of gutless fuckers (with the odd exception and the young uns given exception) sure as hell don't represent SUFC as far as I'm concerned. Most of them should be highly embarrassed and ashamed at their lack of effort at times this season, but no doubt won't be. No professional pride some of them. 11 to go before we can wave a lot of those fuckers goodbye. We should be trying to fix up deals now to get rid of some like Anel.
We should've done that in January when it was obvious to the blind and people who don't watch football that we were going to get relegated.

In January we should've started to plan for next season, hell, even release a few players and let them move on as free agents to save some wages in advance. We should've started talks with players heading out of contract at other clubs and perhaps considered a couple of pre-contract agreements.

As soon as the club decided that it wasn't going to spend and wasn't going to try to stay up last summer, attention should have immediately started on next summer, looking at players heading out of contract etc. Fair play, this might be going on behind the scenes, but given how the club allowed Berge and Ndiaye to run down their contracts by leaving talks too late, and signing utter dog crap in the summer out of desperation and using pitiful and repetitive "it's always hard to sign players before the end of the transfer windows as clubs don't want to let players go until they've made signings themselves" excuses, which are utter crap, as all other teams are in the same boat and transfer window but seem to manage to sign players throughout the summer and early doors without any problems. All our excuse tells us is that what we're targetting and that certainly isn't someone elses first team players, with the exception being Hamer, and that was only because we sold Ndiaye and Berge so it was an attempt to soften the blow.

We wait for the last minute to pick off cheap squad players on low wages or until Premier League teams are ready to agree loans, which we then use as key players leaving gaping holes when they leave. I highly doubt that we've even started scouting for next season or sounded out agents about players heading out of contract. I don't trust our recruitment team as they've been woeful for the last 4 seasons and this club is run by money men and not football men.

I've said it for the last three seasons and I'll say it again, this club desperately needs a director of football. If Wilder was to stay as manager for next season then I wouldn't trust him to sign anyone. His track record with money is not good and let's not pretend that he didn't sign some crap in League One and the Championship, as he did, but these were overshadowed by the good players that he signed.

As a fan from afar who cannot get to games for various reasons, I can only see our performances in snippets on MoTD and ofcourse the live Sky/TNT games. I have come to the time now that I am no longer willing to watch us on those platforms. I was out Monday night, deliberately arranged a cricket meeting so I didnt have to think "oh our game is on". When my Everton supporting friends told me we were 4-0 after 25 mins, I simple said "meh, oh well, expected it". When the final score of 6-0 came up, our 4th such demolition at home in as many games, I thought, I should be angry but then thought, nope, I've got other shit on in my life that is more important.

Dont get me wrong, I love the blades, I wish I could go to more games, my dad was a season ticket holder and his friends still go - but even they are starting to think, why waste 2/3 hours of my life for a team that doesnt perform. They are all in there late 60s, early 70s too.

11 games left, I will still be checking the scores and following this page on X but I aint going to rush to watch us live.

Bring on next season.

a) Change of ownership
b) Change of manager
Cheers for now,
Edinblade
So your having a few years off

Fair weather fans 😂 This is glamour compered to the old 4th division days get a grip supporting the blades is a 100% hobby life style not ill have a few weeks off because i feel upset .

It's when you get past the anger and are left with apathy...

How many empty seats were there on Monday night for what should have been a marquee PL game? Don't know about you guys but i rocked up at 19:55 and stayed in my seat at half time - basically spent £zero onsite...

This level of disinterest extrapolated across our fan base must be really hurting the bottom line...
I was actually surprised how full the Lane was......at the start. The three of us always have a bet on attendance before we get in and I thought 27k. I'd have said a lot more than that but Gary didn't announce it presumably because the Arse fans would have had a good laugh as there may have only been 15k by then.

I was actually surprised how full the Lane was......at the start. The three of us always have a bet on attendance before we get in and I thought 27k. I'd have said a lot more than that but Gary didn't announce it presumably because the Arse fans would have had a good laugh as there may have only been 15k by then.
Yes, I was surprised how full it was. There's plenty of people talking about not going, but most of them either are, or they're shifting them on to other people who go instead.

a) Change of ownership
b) Change of manager
Cheers for now,
Edinblade

Personally, my inner Goth, loves the misery of being a Blade.

Apathy is both strange and dangerous.

When I was working Monday, I’d completely forgotten we were playing that night when normally I’d be buzzing in anticipation.

The thought crossed my mind more than once to stay at home and watch it on the box but I knew eventually I’d end up going because that’s what I’ve done for the last 45 years.

The feeling of resignation is the killer for me, knowing that it would only be a matter of time before Arsenal scored and then how many more will they get.

I left at 4 0, not angry just numb, thinking why am I feeling like this when usually I live, breathe and eat our fantastic club.

I was back home in time for the 2nd half but didn’t watch it, partly through fear and humiliation that Arsenal would go on to get 7,8,9 but also partly because my head was telling me what’s the point.

Instead I went to bed and didn’t check the score until the following day, something that I don’t ever recall doing, I’d normally move heaven and earth for updates if I’m not at the match.

I was actually relieved when I checked the following morning and saw it was only 6 0.

What on earth has it come to when I’m relieved we’ve only lost 6 0 at home.

Completely understand it. I'm on the verge of doing something similar but can't seem to cut it out altogether!

I've definitely watched less minutes this season than I have for many years. I used to go out my way and plan my day/evening to get a couple of hours free to watch it, which isn't easy with a wife and 3 young kids.

I almost feel "obliged" to watch our games, or feel that I should watch them when I actually don't want to!

It's become almost masochistic sitting through our games and then spending the rest of the day/evening pissed off and grumpy when my time and energy would be much better spent with my kids or being productive.

2 more losses and we are relegated then we can relax and enjoy ourselves again. Cheer up could be worse.

Back
Top Bottom