Deluded

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Considering he was bought to be a premier league striker fo silly money that is pretty poor. I bet McGoldrick has a better record for us at champioship level..never mind Sharp.
Championship:
McGoldrick 45(19) apps, 17 goals (3 pens); 0.36 goals/90 (0.30 ex penalties).
Sharp 144(60) apps, 59 goals (6 pens); 0.42 goals/90 (0.37 ex penalties)
McBurnie 34(32) apps, 13 goals; 0.39 goals/90 mins

As I know your agenda, if you only look at Sharp's third spell (14/15 onwards)...
Sharp 106(45) apps, 51 goals (6 pens); 0.48 goals/90 (0.42 ex penalties)

PL
McGoldrick 50(13) apps, 10 goals; 0.21 goals/90
Sharp 17(24) apps, 6 goals (2 pens); 0.30 goals/90 (0.20 ex penalties)
McBurnie 43(24) apps, 7 goals; 0.17 goals/90 mins

They're all much of a muchness.

Championship:

As I know your agenda, if you only look at Sharp's third spell (14/15 onwards)...

PL

You can't just exclude penalties because it suits you.. there's a reason mcburnie isn't a regular penalty taker..

edit: my bad didn't realise you'd listed both at first glance. Appreciate your efforts here. Don't suppose assist stats are available also?

Championship:

PL

Fwiw Sharps Xg stats are a lot better than those of McGoldrick and McBurnie.

He's far far from average pl striker though isn't he?

Indeed, which is what you expect for paying around £20 million in the late 10's. Just because it was big money for us does not mean it is big money for the league in general, it is anything but that

You can't just exclude penalties because it suits you.. there's a reason mcburnie isn't a regular penalty taker..

edit: my bad didn't realise you'd listed both at first glance. Appreciate your efforts here. Don't suppose assist stats are available also?
You want to stay clear of stats when you support Hecky.

Since the 2007 relegation from the Prem we've had Bryan Robson, Kevin Blackwell, Gary Speed, Micky Adams, Danny Wilson, David Weir, Nigel Clough, Nigel Adkins, Chris Wilder, Slavisa Jokanovic and Hecky.

So as you can see, we have form for recruiting far far worse.

On a totally seperate point... has any premier league team ever had a worst selection on the left side? Larouci? Thomas? Lowe? That's not on Hecky that's on the laughable budget he's had to work with.
Bit he did buy two of those players eh?

Hi Stegosaurus here,

True--but there were other options out there. Conor Coady, for example, would have helped shore up our defence but went a division DOWN.
Coady has taken a gamble , let's assume he had only 2 options either sign for united or Leicester on a 3 year deal, I think he looks at it and sees at least 1 of those seasons in the championship with both clubs, so is it a surprise he chooses the one that pays highest

Indeed, which is what you expect for paying around £20 million in the late 10's. Just because it was big money for us does not mean it is big money for the league in general, it is anything but that
Honestly if you think 7 premier league goals in 67 premier league appearances is "to be expected" for £18 million, then I have some magic beans you may be interested in... He really needs to have at least double that to justify the fee.

Honestly if you think 7 premier league goals in 67 premier league appearances is "to be expected" for £18 million, then I have some magic beans you may be interested in... He really needs to have at least double that to justify the fee.

I mean quoting appearances and not minutes is stupidity of the highest order (more than a third of his appearances are off the bench for fuck's sake), but here's the thing - McBurnie's role is not JUST to score goals. If he's able to hold the play up, bring other forwards into the game, work defensively, and chip in with goals when needed, that has value beyond "7 goals in 67 herp derp".

Question for you - how much do you think prime years Emile Heskey (let's say last two years at Liverpool when he was an England regular) would sell for today?

Which had a return of 13 goals in 67, so one goal less in the same number of games than what you're saying McBurnie would need to have scored to justify McBurnie's price tag, I hope you have said less than what we paid for McBurnie

I mean quoting appearances and not minutes is stupidity of the highest order (more than a third of his appearances are off the bench for fuck's sake), but here's the thing - McBurnie's role is not JUST to score goals. If he's able to hold the play up, bring other forwards into the game, work defensively, and chip in with goals when needed, that has value beyond "7 goals in 67 herp derp".

Question for you - how much do you think prime years Emile Heskey (let's say last two years at Liverpool when he was an England regular) would sell for today?

Which had a return of 13 goals in 67, so one goal less in the same number of games than what you're saying McBurnie would need to have scored to justify McBurnie's price tag, I hope you have said less than what we paid for McBurnie
And Heskey makes it 5!
(I was at that game 😎)

Well firstly you'd only buy Heskey if you knew you had a prolific striker to go next to him. It would be pretty foolish to sign him otherwise as you'd be pretty toothless.
Considering he was playing for Liverpool and getting England caps that would in todays market value him at least £30million. If he wasn't playing for Liverpool or England (on account of them having better options these days) probably £18million. But obviously you'd have to also compare Heskey's assists with McBurnies assists for a true comparison on value for money.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom