Deluded

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think there’s one other argument:
“Stability is important for a football club”.
One sacked manager can soon become two - then three. When you start turning over managers quickly, you can end up in the sort of trouble that takes years to repair.

If the recruitment of players is a mostly separate line of work to that of coaching the team, I am not sure why this should be the case?

Very first time they went to the guy they had watching it on Soccer Saturday, about 2 minutes in, he was going "ohhhhh, they've got away with one there, Sheff United. Terrible mistake at the back. Really ought to have been 1-0 Fulham". And with the exception of the updates about Bash's injury that was pretty much the tone for the afternoon. Sounded like if Fulham had a striker who could hit a barn door it would have been another cricket score.
yeah the results & performances are bad. but thats what scares me the most. when pundits, fans & commentary are watching 1 game. hecky's watching another

so 22 other clubs had even more turgid games than we did

I enjoyed our promotion as much as any other weve ever had

this we got up despite being poor argument is utter and complete bollocks

name any promotion weve had where we didnt lose games and scrape some late wins
I cant remember us being like Brazil 1970 in 46 games

stop putting your negative diatribe on here we dont need it

Ndiayer scored as many as mcburnie, nothing else he went missing in several games

If you don't believe Ndiaye won us many, many points on his own, either via an assist from nowhere or an individual goal then you're in denial. I'd also counter with the fact we had much better players in terms of individual talent through the team than the vast majority of those other 22 teams.

You're unwavering, won't hear anything negative said about us or our set up attitude is wild. Like some brainwashed, thoughtless zombie. I'm sure you aren't, it's just how you come across.

Also nobody said it wasn't a great promotion, or enjoyable when we got promoted. We're talking about Hecky and the reasons we got promoted, and I think that's a debatable topic

Well said.

I would almost say without Ndiaye if Hecky is still in charge and playing this same style..we will NOT achieve automatic promotion next season.

I'd be inclined to agree. Without Illy last year for example, we don't get promoted. It's that simple to me.

Performances aren't there right now but spending money on changing the manager for what, to achieve the same end result of relegation at the end of the season?

You may say that the rot will well and truly have set in by then but I would at least give Hecky and co another couple of months to see if they can turn it around. It's not his fault the new signings didn't materialise until late on in the window and I don't think it is being sentimental to keep him on a bit longer either.

Just sack a manager regardless because of the circumstances he's working under that are out of his hands anyway? Only to then bring in another manager who will be working under the exact same circs?

Hecky got us promoted under incredibly testing circumstances last season, miraculous in some ways I'd say. Yes he had a recent Prem team at his disposal with parachute payments but that's only what it looked like on the surface to the outside world. The reality underneath was very different. So I think he deserves a little more time here to see if the players can start forming more of an understanding with each other. We're still only 8 matches into the season and only 3 points off safety which is actually nothing at this very early stage!
Testing circumstances yes and don't get me wrong grateful for what we achieved last season in the end but lets face it if it weren't for ndiaye and mcatee and doyle we'd have struggled to get over the line. As i said i agree that prince has royally screwed us this season before it even started, but hecky has to change things otherwise he's risking being the thing that changes.

No has ever sold their best players on promotion to the richest league in the world and no one will again in the future. A “blow your own brains out” strategy if ever there was one.

100% this, we’ve built solidarity around Ndiaye, Berge was happy to remain and it seemed as if at least one of Doyle or McAtee seemed to be on the plan in coming back.

The plan seemed in preseason to build around that mould with squad additions.

By losing those two and not bringing in McAtee until late in the window we’ve accidentally started the rot, being underprepared, out of sync, and trying to get new players up to speed in a unique system.

The results have papered over the cracks somewhat, narrow defeats to good sides, but Newcastle has been the “we really aren’t ready for this” eye opener for the players and the little confidence they had is now gone and eating into the newer players.

Someone needs to grab them by the bollocks and instil some belief, that’s not Hecky and it’s not Wilder either.

Interestingly on the Prince and assets leaving for free, there’s obviously not been the conversation of revenue return should we enforce the contracts.

If Ndiaye / Berge are still here but keep us up that’s a much larger chunk of change than shipping both out for £30m combined.

You're unwavering, won't hear anything negative said about us or our set up attitude is wild. Like some brainwashed, thoughtless zombie. I'm sure you aren't, it's just how you come across.

Also nobody said it wasn't a great promotion, or enjoyable when we got promoted. We're talking about Hecky and the reasons we got promoted, and I think that's a debatable topic

Agree....find it weird how so many people have zero understand of nuance. They nail their colours to the mass then refuse to accept anything negative about them and then weirdly defend that person or idea with so much emotion as though it's their relative. Their opinion seems to become part of their identity.

I'm of the opinion Hecky should be sacked but able to accept and provide several positives for him. Also like him as a person but I like SUFC more.
I'm also of the opinion Wilder performed the biggest miracle I've seen at this club, I was there at home to Scunthorpe, totally numb, couldn't even be bothered to boo
because I suddenly realised we might become like a Notts County or Bradford City and spend several decades in the lower divisions.

Adkins was sacked and when we appointed Wilder, it was the cheap options and I wasn't impressed, to be honest just accepted, we'd blown it.
However Wilder rise up the divisions playing really good, pass and move keep possession (almost Barcelona style) football was incredible.
Still say Mark Duffy and McGoldrick are (up there as) the 2 players that given me the most pleasure in the last 50 years.
However altho I'd still buy Wilder a drink for giving me the best 4 years of supporting the Blades....even I have doubts about him.

In that relegation season we did actually compete and on general play most matches were close. Our problem that season was scoring goals, we seemed to lose so may matches 0-1, whereas the previous season we seemed to win loads of matches 1-0. Don't think Wilder would keep us up but I'm confident that almost any half decent manager would quickly improve this team regards approach, tactics, confidence, effort and performances.

The ownership situation has a massive effect on who we appoint.
Surely the Prince will either keep Hecky or choose a stop gap option (like we did when Blackwell successfully replaced Robson).
If we keep Hecky I'll continue to support him but I think we should change, and whoever the new man is, I would support them too. UTB!

Notice the nuance: I want Hecky gone (too many things he can control are well below par) but I like him as a person and will continue to support him whilst he's here.

Last edited:
No has ever sold their best players on promotion to the richest league in the world and no one will again in the future. A “blow your own brains out” strategy if ever there was one.
It wasn't a strategy. The strategy was to keep Ndiaye. He decided he was going elsewhere not the club. Berge maybe so but he wouldn't sign an extension so our choice was have nobody and no money to replace him in 12 months, or sell and get Hamer on a 4 year deal. No other choice really!

I think people are letting sentiment cloud what's right in front of them.

We were turgid for many games last season, but with Illy being Illy, we won enough games to get promoted. System did not get us promoted, so honestly, I don't see how he is best to get us back up, or that he's the best option for us. We've just got PTSD after Slav.

From all evidence, he's out of his depth as a manager in this league. Watch his post-match interviews, he's almost shocked when the interviewers point out the obvious flaws in our performance. He doesn't seem to believe it; he's watching a different game or the wrong thing. I think there was some evidence of this last season too.

He returned to what we knew after Slav, a hark back to better times and something the players we had were comfortable playing. Steadied the ship and ensured we stayed true to who we were as a team and attitude. Grateful to him.

But if we are going to progress as a team now and in future, he has to step back from the main seat. He's done his job.
Great post we need change and we need it very soon.

How do we respond if the Newcastle result happens again … or worse
We’ve Msnure and then Arsenal- the risk of another humiliation is very real and could probably three weeks away ( Manure won’t be it though maybe a 3 goal gap)
The rate of chances against us really lines it up to happen again

I did notice that in the post match interview with RS, Hecky was asked if he thought we need to stop the runners out wide having free rein and he said "What for goal?"

Everybody must have been thinking, is he seeing what we're all seeing?.

I've changed my mind. From being 100% behind Hecky, I would now be happy if we looked at someone else.

Yes we lost players just before the window closed, but we were looking shit in pre-season even before Illi and Sander went
Yes, we can't/won't pay high wages, so don't get the very best players

But we have lost a lot of what we did have: Leadership, team spirit, refusal to give in.
And the injuries? Why do we have so many of the squad injured? Is our training damaging the players?
And tactics - we don't seem to have a clue.
These things are down to the manager

Last edited:

If you don't believe Ndiaye won us many, many points on his own, either via an assist from nowhere or an individual goal then you're in denial. I'd also counter with the fact we had much better players in terms of individual talent through the team than the vast majority of those other 22 teams.

I criticise us when we are bad and was appalled by our shit show v toon
But it's one game others have lost 9-0 recently in this division..
Hecky without doubt turned Ndiaye from vin ordinaries into champagne

But to say we were only half decent because of Ndiaye and he was a gift from God is delusional
Fa cup semi v man city he made an early miss and offered very little against quality players.
We have a lot of decent players but are suffering from too many out injured. And to not to have had up to 8 players out as the season started has affected us

But we can recover and this break will help

If you are comparing Agana in 1989/90 and Ndiaye in 2022/23 then you are wrong. Ndiaye did far more for us. Agana missed a third of the 1989/90 season and wasnt as consistent as in the previous season.
Still scored 15 goals which is more than Ndiaye and we didn't count assets back then.

I never said that.
He got them playing well something which god knows how many managers haven't since.
That’s nigh on exactly what you said
……….Potter would be a good shout but would he come.
I'm going to stick my neck out here and the tin hat is firmly on
Steve Bruce now i'm not sure if he is retired now but if he isn't he has bags of Premier league experience and he even got that shower of shit in S6 playing well until he jumped ship.

Thinking that a new manager is going to solve our problems and save our season is totally deluded. The Prince hung Hecky out to dry with the Summer transfer budget and sale of Ndiyae and Berge. Its that simple.

It is what it is, we're going down, get over it.

In Hecky we have a manager I totally trust in the Championship, and that's where we're going thanks to the Pauper Prince. So stick by him I say.

Also, hypothetically, If Wilder comes in and we still go down like a lead balloon.. what's the plan then? Sack him too?
In theory, that's fine. I like PH, he's a good man and pulled United out of a dark place

Spend some time reviewing just how far United are behind even the other bad teams in areas that aren't just linked to techn8cal ability. It's a weak squad. But it's still significantly underperformed and if this level is maintained I think single figure points and 100 conceded is a distinct possibility

Do you guys think Wilder will do well in the Championship next season having started his 2nd spell with a relegation under his belt? He flounced off the last time the going got tough and that was without the fans even being there to boo the awful awful performances with a better squad than what we have now.

I think because we couldnt attend games people forget how bad we were in 20/21. If he has to come back, he'd be better coming in after relegation, so he doesn't start off on the wrong foot.

If you really want a short term gamble solution to "go down swinging" for 8 months, I guess Warnock.. then bring Wilder in next summer once we're down? But honestly it feels rough on Hecky given the circumstances he's dealing with, esp knowing he's a great manager in the championship

Last edited:
Agana scored 10 league goals
Ndiaye scored 14 league goals.

Ndiaye created far more goals last season than Agana did in 1989-90 season

Agana scored 10 league goals
Ndiaye scored 14 league goals.

Ndiaye created far more goals last season than Agana did in 1989-90 season
Ndiaye scored 14 in 46 games
Agana scored 10 league goals in 31 that season 26 the year before
So agana ahead on goals per minute

Why include the 1988/89 season against lower division sides?

I see you have avoided the question about who created more! Agana in 1989/90 season or Ndiaye in 2022/23. You probably will not be arsed to see how many goals Agana created in the link below. I will now check

As Mark Twain said
There are lies, damn lies and statistics. I hate this metric driven metric nonsense. What we need is a moment of inspiration, a last minute goal , a fight back siege mentality. It will happen hopefully not too late to impact the season . I thought we were ok until that massive kick in the bollocks that was spurs away HUGE blow to the confidence of our mob . There was no mystical powers at work when we started the prem just a run of good results that gave us belief . Until it’s mathematically impossible I still believe we can stay up . Stick together boys let’s defy the odds . Be one the greatest escapes since Stallig Luft 3 ⚔️

Ndiaye 10 assists last season

Have checked the 1989/90 video, Agana made 5

v Oldham (h), I think
v Sunderland (a)
v Barnsley (a)
v Watford (a)
v Stoke (a)

Back
Top Bottom