Deluded

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The argument for keeping Hecky as far as I can tell is one of the following:

“He deserves his chance.” I’m sorry, but this is professional football and there’s no room for sentiment.

“There is no one else.” Often bandied around, categorically untrue. There are lots of talented managers who’d relish a crack at the Prem.

“He can turn it around.” Fair enough if you think that. I don’t.

“He can get us back up”. He’s far from the only person who could get this squad, with parachute payments, promoted.

“no one else would do a better job.” I simply don’t agree. We have looked lost in almost every game. We look shattered from the Newcastle defeat. A new manager lifts all that.

he’s done a hell of a lot for us, an excellent job. Personally, if it were my club, I’d sack him and get someone in who can give us a fighting chance. But if the Prince keeps him, fair enough.
I think there’s one other argument:
“Stability is important for a football club”.
One sacked manager can soon become two - then three. When you start turning over managers quickly, you can end up in the sort of trouble that takes years to repair. Getting a new manager should be carefully planned and executed.

(I’m not saying it’s a very good argument).

The argument for keeping Hecky as far as I can tell is one of the following:

“He deserves his chance.” I’m sorry, but this is professional football and there’s no room for sentiment.

“There is no one else.” Often bandied around, categorically untrue. There are lots of talented managers who’d relish a crack at the Prem.

“He can turn it around.” Fair enough if you think that. I don’t.

“He can get us back up”. He’s far from the only person who could get this squad, with parachute payments, promoted.

“no one else would do a better job.” I simply don’t agree. We have looked lost in almost every game. We look shattered from the Newcastle defeat. A new manager lifts all that.

he’s done a hell of a lot for us, an excellent job. Personally, if it were my club, I’d sack him and get someone in who can give us a fighting chance. But if the Prince keeps him, fair enough.
The argument to keep Hecky is: "The owner of the football club has made no reasonable attempt to enable the manager to keep the team in the premier league, so why punish the manager when he's been asked to fight with two hands tied behind his back? Pep Guardiola couldn't keep this squad in the Prem.".

I have never been Heckingbottoms biggest fan but fair play he got us up.
But now we are in the big league he's struggling some of it is his own doing (like the crap pre-season not playing his first choice defence together in any off the pre-season games) some of it out of his control like losing Berge and N'Diaye at the last minute.
At the minute we are just rolling over for teams, even when we do get back into games you just know we are going to concede again usually within the next 10min.
Unlike some I haven't totally given up yet we are in a mini league of 4 teams who despite the fact we have been totally shit for 99% of the games so far haven't put alot of daylight between us, and we still have too play those three teams twice, so all is not totally lost.
But we need a change of manager to bring new ideas and freshen things up, we need someone with Premier League experience not some obscure Belgian or Spanish manager who's never managed in the Premiership and certainly not Wilder.
Potter would be a good shout but would he come.
I'm going to stick my neck out here and the tin hat is firmly on
Steve Bruce now i'm not sure if he is retired now but if he isn't he has bags of Premier league experience and he even got that shower of shit in S6 playing well until he jumped ship.
Aye
In the Championship
Which is where he left Villa & WBA

Thinking that a new manager is going to solve our problems and save our season is totally deluded. The Prince hung Hecky out to dry with the Summer transfer budget and sale of Ndiyae and Berge. Its that simple.

It is what it is, we're going down, get over it.

In Hecky we have a manager I totally trust in the Championship, and that's where we're going thanks to the Pauper Prince. So stick by him I say.

Also, hypothetically, If Wilder comes in and we still go down like a lead balloon.. what's the plan then? Sack him too?
Statistically one of the worst teams in europe and well and truly on to beat derby's record lowest points total in prem but yeah lets just accept it and get over it...

The argument to keep Hecky is: "The owner of the football club has made no reasonable attempt to enable the manager to keep the team in the premier league, so why punish the manager when he's been asked to fight with two hands tied behind his back? Pep Guardiola couldn't keep this squad in the Prem.".
But that is sentiment and there’s no room for that in football. It’s hardly a punishment to have had a great year and a half and walk away with a massive cheque.

I simply disagree that no one could keep us up and I’m sure the vast majority would say we can play a lot better than this. It’s absolutely worth taking that chance while there’s still time.

Statistically one of the worst teams in europe and well and truly on to beat derby's record lowest points total in prem but yeah lets just accept it and get over it...

It also means the club will have to spend money sacking him Hecky and his team and appointing their replacements.

It also means the club will have to spend money sacking him Hecky and his team and appointing their replacements.
So what do we do? Can't accept playing like this every week it's absolutely embarrassing to watch, we all knew we'd be up against it this season but the expectation were to at least be tough to beat and everything we expect which is desire, commitment and effort. After the newcastle thumping we've seen absolutely nothing of the sort, that falls on hecky, the state of playing squad and lack of depth and quality yeah sure that falls on the prince but hecky has maximise what he has and moment he isn't.

So what do we do? Can't accept playing like this every week it's absolutely embarrassing to watch, we all knew we'd be up against it this season but the expectation were to at least be tough to beat and everything we expect which is desire, commitment and effort. After the newcastle thumping we've seen absolutely nothing of the sort, that falls on hecky, the state of playing squad and lack of depth and quality yeah sure that falls on the prince but hecky has maximise what he has and moment he isn't.

Performances aren't there right now but spending money on changing the manager for what, to achieve the same end result of relegation at the end of the season?

You may say that the rot will well and truly have set in by then but I would at least give Hecky and co another couple of months to see if they can turn it around. It's not his fault the new signings didn't materialise until late on in the window and I don't think it is being sentimental to keep him on a bit longer either.

Just sack a manager regardless because of the circumstances he's working under that are out of his hands anyway? Only to then bring in another manager who will be working under the exact same circs?

Hecky got us promoted under incredibly testing circumstances last season, miraculous in some ways I'd say. Yes he had a recent Prem team at his disposal with parachute payments but that's only what it looked like on the surface to the outside world. The reality underneath was very different. So I think he deserves a little more time here to see if the players can start forming more of an understanding with each other. We're still only 8 matches into the season and only 3 points off safety which is actually nothing at this very early stage!

I think people are letting sentiment cloud what's right in front of them.

We were turgid for many games last season, but with Illy being Illy, we won enough games to get promoted. System did not get us promoted, so honestly, I don't see how he is best to get us back up, or that he's the best option for us. We've just got PTSD after Slav.

From all evidence, he's out of his depth as a manager in this league. Watch his post-match interviews, he's almost shocked when the interviewers point out the obvious flaws in our performance. He doesn't seem to believe it; he's watching a different game or the wrong thing. I think there was some evidence of this last season too.

He returned to what we knew after Slav, a hark back to better times and something the players we had were comfortable playing. Steadied the ship and ensured we stayed true to who we were as a team and attitude. Grateful to him.

But if we are going to progress as a team now and in future, he has to step back from the main seat. He's done his job.

Last edited:

Anyone who thinks hecky is good enough to get us back up without players like berge/ndiaye/Anel are deluding themselves

He did a good job last year but there is no chance he would have got us up without having the best players in the league

Makes me laugh how a bloke who we picked as an U23 manager is now the second coming of klopp/guardiola

Kevin Blackwell was a wade elliot goal away from the premier league because he had the best Squad in the league

I’d get wilder but if not you got and get the best or one of the best young managers in the EFL

We were turgid for many games last season, but with Illy being Illy, we won enough games to get promoted. System did not get us promoted, so honestly, I don't see how he is best to get us back up, or that he's the best option for us. We've just got PTSD after Slav.

From all evidence, he's out of his depth as a manager in this league. Watch his post-match interviews, he's almost shocked when the interviewers point out the obvious flaws in our performance. He doesn't seem to believe it; he's watching a different game or the wrong thing. I think there was some evidence of this last season too.

He returned to what we knew after Slav, a hark back to better times and something the players we had were comfortable playing. Steadied the ship and ensured we stayed true to who we were as a team and attitude. Grateful to him.

But if we are going to progress as a team now and in future, he has to step back from the main seat. He's done his job.

Well said.

I would almost say without Ndiaye if Hecky is still in charge and playing this same style..we will NOT achieve automatic promotion next season.

We were turgid for many games last season, but with Illy being Illy, we won enough games to get promoted.
so 22 other clubs had even more turgid games than we did

I enjoyed our promotion as much as any other weve ever had

this we got up despite being poor argument is utter and complete bollocks

name any promotion weve had where we didnt lose games and scrape some late wins
I cant remember us being like Brazil 1970 in 46 games

stop putting your negative diatribe on here we dont need it

Ndiayer scored as many as mcburnie, nothing else he went missing in several games

Any statistic that claims us to be one of the worst teams in Europe is clearly a very stupid and meaningless statistic. It doesn’t pass the laugh test.
Statistically, we are the worst team in the Premier League. The Premier League is widely recognised as being among the best leagues in Europe. More than 95% of teams in Europe do not play Premier League quality opposition every week, and if they did, they would be annihilated.
Things are bad enough as it is. Can people please stop quoting absolutely stupid claims that we are “statistically one of the worst teams in Europe”. It insults our intelligence, and is not a great indicator of yours.

Rubbish.

We were turgid last season and relied on individual moments of magic from 1 or 2 players.

The overall style of play was not great last season. in fact it was rather dull.
have to disagree 91 points dont get collected by being average

your argument is tepid at best and just stupid at worst

blades jhave always been negative
when we lost 4-1 at home to watford the toys came our of the pram in 006
the shit put on here when we lost to boro was unbelievable

all promoted sides lose games and draw some but apparently us dropping points is far worse ,, madness

And how much did we sell Berge & Ndiyae for? We're meant to significantly improve a squad after promotion, and we totally didn't.

No has ever sold their best players on promotion to the richest league in the world and no one will again in the future. A “blow your own brains out” strategy if ever there was one.

I think there’s one other argument:
“Stability is important for a football club”.
One sacked manager can soon become two - then three. When you start turning over managers quickly, you can end up in the sort of trouble that takes years to repair. Getting a new manager should be carefully planned and executed.

(I’m not saying it’s a very good argument).
I didn't like Blackwell but it was stupidity sacking him when we did.

No way we went down under him.

i said yesterday will be forever grateful for the promotion.

it wouldnt be so bad if you can see progress. but this the 3rd week of this now, although others say longer. or heckingbottom was being realistic in his press conference. that was more terrifying than the performance. because it was dare i say like adkins. he was talking about a completely different game. youve got radio sheffield talking about it being daylight robbery if we held on, asaba saying it shouldve been 7 & he thinks we were comfortable until it went 2-1. thats v fulham a winnable game

i will give anyone time if you see progress but we are getting worse. we are wide open defensively & created little offensively. the only surprise about fulham scoring was it took that long. you cannot be as consistently bad defensively & expect to get anything from any level of football
. sadly i think unless we see progress which is unlikely because he didnt change yesterday when we were getting ripped apart his days are numbered
Very first time they went to the guy they had watching it on Soccer Saturday, about 2 minutes in, he was going "ohhhhh, they've got away with one there, Sheff United. Terrible mistake at the back. Really ought to have been 1-0 Fulham". And with the exception of the updates about Bash's injury that was pretty much the tone for the afternoon. Sounded like if Fulham had a striker who could hit a barn door it would have been another cricket score.

Thinking that a new manager is going to solve our problems and save our season is totally deluded. The Prince hung Hecky out to dry with the Summer transfer budget and sale of Ndiyae and Berge. Its that simple.

It is what it is, we're going down, get over it.

In Hecky we have a manager I totally trust in the Championship, and that's where we're going thanks to the Pauper Prince. So stick by him I say.

Also, hypothetically, If Wilder comes in and we still go down like a lead balloon.. what's the plan then? Sack him too?

You're missing the point.

It's not about going down, we would highly likely go down with Pepe Guadiola in charge.
Also the lack of transfer budget is true but it's a red herring.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Do we agree with have very good players for Championship level? If yes,

Then why are we not playing and competing like a Championship team.
There's no way even an average Championship team would lose 0-8 at home to Newcastle, with luck Newcastle could have scored 11 or 12.
There's no way a middle table Championship side wouldn't be able to give average PL club a game.
Over 90% of previous promoted Championship, some spending less money than us, have all competed much better, had attacks and shots.

We're approaching games in damage limitation mode, no game plan apart from keep the score down (to be fair it's worked our results have been respectable).
The players can't string 3 passes together and have reverted to kick and rush, it's embarrassing.
We are creating history for all the wrong reasons, highest ever defeat and on course to become the worse ever PL team in 30 years.

Surely the manager is responsible for lack of effort, lack of tactics, lack of anything really.

Also what has happened to the Blades fans I knew who had standards and the minimum expectation of "it's acceptable to lose as long you give your best and try.
I've even seen comments like "Sheffield United don't belong in the Premier League" and "it's too good, we can't compete"
and "we need to return to the Championship, it's real football there", not sure whether these comments are from Sheff Wed fans stirring trouble.

A good way to judge us, is look at Burnley and Luton, especially Luton who have spent less than us and they have lesser players than us.
So how come the Luton manager is able to make them competitive, they attack, create chance and try to win every match.
If we have the Luton manager we would be much much better regards performances.

We're going down without a fight and for loyal Blades who attend matches this should never be acceptable.

So West to toon badly teams have lost heavily before and stayed up

This myth being put about we were lucky to come up as we weren't that good is worthy comment in owlstalk
But definitely smells of pork
Wow. Just wow.
Wow from me for you elevating Ndiaye to a god like figure...he was good because Hecky taught him the Rudimentaries . When he came has nothing special.. He learnt how to track back and find space under Hecky..he had done little before that ask him he will agree with me

Back
Top Bottom