Westfield 'catering'.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Get kurdish lads in to do a pop up
All those suggestions have been made pal. There's generally wide-range support for stuff like that. Not sure if anyone contacted the club about anything like that or how anyone would to be honest

I fucking hate it on the Kop when you ask for your prime fillet steak with bernaise sauce to be done medium rare and it comes out medium.

And the bottle of Vergelegen Estate Shiraz, Stellenbosch was clearly a 2013 vintage and NOT the 2011 that I specified.
I knew straight away when I got hints of vanilla with summer fruit, rather than the more spicy, velvety overtones and smooth finish that I've come to expect.

Dozy cunts.

I fucking hate it on the Kop when you ask for your prime fillet steak with bernaise sauce to be done medium rare and it comes out medium.

And the bottle of Vergelegen Estate Shiraz, Stellenbosch was clearly a 2013 vintage and NOT the 2011 that I specified.
I knew straight away when I got hints of vanilla with summer fruit, rather than the more spicy, velvety overtones and smooth finish that I've come to expect.

Dozy cunts.

Do you want fries with that?hSqCV4.gif

All those suggestions have been made pal. There's generally wide-range support for stuff like that. Not sure if anyone contacted the club about anything like that or how anyone would to be honest
Would like to think there'd be a fans Q&A session at some point, would be an ideal question for Bettis re: matchday experience.

Couple of pop ups and a bottle bar in the hotel and/or South Stand car parks (or better still, make use of the space behind the Kop if they can negotiate with t'owd Kev) and hey presto, matchday fan zone.

It doesn't seem like rocket science and I'm sure there's a good reason other than apathy as to why we haven't done it...

FUMIN, no Chateauneuf Du Pape on the Westfield, only Blue Nun. Asked for a charcuterie board and ended up with half a twix!

Stadium food and drink is generally crap everywhere. I don’t think I’ve been to any event or sporting ground where it’s been any different.
Remember most Lancy away trips in L1 being pretty good. Bar Bolton and Oldham mebe.

Burton Albion was good for a slurp. They had spirits and alcopops and all sorts on offer at half time. Why United can't just make things quicker by using bottles is anyones guess. How long does it take for one of them gormless idiots to pour a pint versus whipping a lid off?

Though we know why we can't have bottles... It's in case we use them as missiles. Because that's what I like to do when I've waited 15 minutes in a queue for an overpriced bottle of fizzy piss - lob it at my own fans in a stadium riddled with cameras, risking myself a lengthy ban. 🧐

Who would we contact regards the catering at Lane anyhow? Start with John Garrett? I'm sure he would point me in the right direction.

Reactions: Dkc
Would like to think there'd be a fans Q&A session at some point, would be an ideal question for Bettis re: matchday experience.

Couple of pop ups and a bottle bar in the hotel and/or South Stand car parks (or better still, make use of the space behind the Kop if they can negotiate with t'owd Kev) and hey presto, matchday fan zone.

It doesn't seem like rocket science and I'm sure there's a good reason other than apathy as to why we haven't done it...
Im pretty sure the catering has been mentioned before but the answer is always 'take it up with compass'. It is compass who run it all, not United, so I understand why that's the answer. United got their money off compass and probably get a fixed rate per year. Compass profits, service or standards matter nowt to the club. It's compass that are shit.

Birmingham city do it

They get the best local street food companies to do pop ups. We are surrounded by absolutely quality independent food and beverage outlets, we could make an absolute killing if there was any foresight within the club.

I find the people arguing why would you want food and drink at a match a bit of an odd argument tbh. Why would you want food and drink at the cinema, or at meadowhall or anywhere for that matter?

Birmingham city do it

They get the best local street food companies to do pop ups. We are surrounded by absolutely quality independent food and beverage outlets, we could make an absolute killing if there was any foresight within the club.

I find the people arguing why would you want food and drink at a match a bit of an odd argument tbh. Why would you want food and drink at the cinema, or at meadowhall or anywhere for that matter?
It's a good point about eating at meadowhall etc. A film is 2 hours or so. Can people not go 2 hours without food?

Some folk might not bother at the football, some do. But it's not the point. The point is that there is a service there. That service is widely regarded as shite and many people have suggested many options as to how to improve it. If we can do it, I'm sure those paid to make these decisions can do it. But I won't hold my breath.

Birmingham have done it but is suspect they haven't leased out the catering like United have. I don't think compass would allow Kebabish to tread on their toes whacking out doner meat and chips by the bucket load, showing them up. Imagine a Kebabish van 🤤🤤🤤🤤

I’d be more inclined to eat the Lane if the club put the effort in to make the options interesting. At the end of the day, as a supporter of the club, I’d be happy to spend a bit of extra money in the ground.

People want food and drink as part of the ‘match day experience’ these days. We have the highest attendances in the league. Go figure.

Birmingham city do it

Imagine some salt & chili chips or pulled pork sandwich with bbq sauce, a slice of decent pizza or tandoori chicken wings..

My dad got a sausage roll on Saturday and had to take it back twice as the ones he was given were overcooked to oblivion. I'm not buying the excuse and "talk to compass" line the club tell customers. SUFC should be banging their door down asking why their customers are unhappy with the services they provide.

Few clubs could have a better location than United when it comes to the proximity of the City Centre, pubs and eating establishments.

It's a mystery to Bert as to why people would want to drink donkey piss from a plastic cup, stood up, and eat stale pies in a packed airless concrete cell.

Few clubs could have a better location than United when it comes to the proximity of the City Centre, pubs and eating establishments.

It's a mystery to Bert as to why people would want to drink donkey piss from a plastic cup, stood up, and eat stale pies in a packed airless concrete cell.

I think they're paper cups these days. Environment and all that..

But I agree, much better options away from the ground and cheaper.

As I only go to 10 or so matches a season, going to a match is usually a day out and involves going for some lunch/tea and a few drinks before the game.

Seeing as the infrastructure within the stands isn't ideal for mass catering, a fan zone would be perfect (on the mccabe corner).

Let independent street food vendors & bars in, and maybe have a stage/ trailer with some music/ compering and interviews with ex players etc, a bit like the 125th celebration before the Wolves match.

As long as it doesn't look like the one in S6 I can't see what would go wrong.

Dozy cunts.
Think you been spenting too much time with Bert

I think they're paper cups these days. Environment and all that..

But I agree, much better options away from the ground and cheaper.
Most succesful clubs want to manage and maximise their F&B takings, it's often that they make more money off these than the actual event/match.
Particularly if you can get the customers in the ground earlier and even staying longer after the game.
As United have got a historic ground and the nearby city centre doesnt help especially.
It does feel like Utd chucked the towel in on this quite a long time ago.
The key as usual is investment in decent staff to run it.

All this talk of a “take it up with Compass, not our problem” attitude at the club worries me.

Seems so small minded and tinpot. There’s a macro level point here about engaging with new supporters and encouraging the casuals to take up attending matches regularly. Shite offerings of food and drink will turn people off - awesome offerings will encourage people to come back and ultimately get hooked and become lifelong blades.

PS: I’m not interested in having the “if you weren’t attending in the year bla bla when attendances were bla bla then you shouldn’t be allowed in the Lane anyway” argument.

All this talk of a “take it up with Compass, not our problem” attitude at the club worries me.

Seems so small minded and tinpot. There’s a macro level point here about engaging with new supporters and encouraging the casuals to take up attending matches regularly. Shite offerings of food and drink will turn people off - awesome offerings will encourage people to come back and ultimately get hooked and become lifelong blades.

PS: I’m not interested in having the “if you weren’t attending in the year bla bla when attendances were bla bla then you shouldn’t be allowed in the Lane anyway” argument.
Think what happens on the pitch will have more of a bearing than a badly served can of fosters tbh.

Yes and no - casuals are casuals, often not football connoisseurs. Yes some will be drawn by SUFC being a good side and playing against top level opposition.

Some just want to find a new way to spend their Saturday afternoons (or Sunday afternoons, or Friday evenings, or Monday evenings, or Tuesday nights, or Wednesday nights - fuck Sky!)

Yes and no - casuals are casuals, often not football connoisseurs. Yes some will be drawn by SUFC being a good side and playing against top level opposition.

Some just want to find a new way to spend their Saturday afternoons (or Sunday afternoons, or Friday evenings, or Monday evenings, or Tuesday nights, or Wednesday nights - fuck Sky!)
we live in an era where small beer/food festivals appear to be able to pop up everywhere. not too far removed from a fan zone. Done properly (as many clubs are now doing) and plenty would use. Decent quality and plenty would be happy to pay the additional. whilst not the facility i'd fancy years back, ive a young fam now and would be an extra reason to take them.

A fan zone with a kids corner (couple of bouncy castles) would generate far more income and interest than the club might think. I took my eldest on the family stand. There's a kids corner in there with colouring stuff and a sweet shop. She loved that part of it. The match, not so. But she's a girly girl anyway. But she would have loved a bouncy castle and some music on. If united want to offer a family friendly experience to the day, they need more than some colouring books. Car park at back of kop is absolutely ideal for it. There's room for some guest beer tents and some food vans.

Imagine some salt & chili chips or pulled pork sandwich with bbq sauce, a slice of decent pizza or tandoori chicken wings..

My dad got a sausage roll on Saturday and had to take it back twice as the ones he was given were overcooked to oblivion. I'm not buying the excuse and "talk to compass" line the club tell customers. SUFC should be banging their door down asking why their customers are unhappy with the services they provide.
I said this in the previous discussion about the lack of care taken towards its customers, not saying Bettie needs to be walking around the stadium but a decent business support manager could & should then hold compass to account for not for filling their side of the contract.
Never going to happen until the club stop taking the easy road.
Answer is simple stop giving Compass your money, that’s all they understand

Just applied for a job at compass. Well, I say compass, the site says constellation. So even compass are subbing it out. Wonder if I get the role of 'beer pourer'? Tell ya what, for the £10 an hour wage I'd be helping myself to the ale. One for you, a sip of this one for me.

Upload your CV - nah.
Add cover letter - 'I don't have a CV because I don't have any jobs before.'

Let's see if they get in touch (I've put correct email but wrong number as I dont want them ringing me).
Prepare for a job interview sharpish.

Burton Albion was good for a slurp. They had spirits and alcopops and all sorts on offer at half time. Why United can't just make things quicker by using bottles is anyones guess. How long does it take for one of them gormless idiots to pour a pint versus whipping a lid off?

Though we know why we can't have bottles... It's in case we use them as missiles. Because that's what I like to do when I've waited 15 minutes in a queue for an overpriced bottle of fizzy piss - lob it at my own fans in a stadium riddled with cameras, risking myself a lengthy ban. 🧐

Who would we contact regards the catering at Lane anyhow? Start with John Garrett? I'm sure he would point me in the right direction.
well he deffo knows where the burger vans are

Dozy cunts.

I could have written that.............................. but then you paired the fillet' with a South African Shiraz. Tut, tut, tut. No class.

HH

Prepare for a job interview sharpish.
From Molly A***d

Thankyou for enquiring about Jobs roles at Sheffield United. We do say that if you are Under 18 to not apply for our bar role as you will have to be 18!*
I have linked below the ad to our waiting/kiosk staff role that will be ideal for a school leaver 🙂 Full training will be provided online and on there first day 🙂

*I applied on behalf of my 16 year old nephew who has just left school. Silly me not knowing the age laws eh? 🤭

FULL training provided on the first day. Wow. Talk about thrown in at the deep end. They'll show me/my nephew how to use a till online, then expect me/him to know how to do it on the day. Make no wonder its shit.

And she used the wrong 'their' as well.

An email I sent to Jon Helliwell, who is in charge of "Matchday Experience".

I sent this 11 days ago, the day after the Watford game, and I'm yet to receive a response of any kind.

" Good Morning,

I hope this message finds you well, despite last night's result and this morning's downpour!

I'm a local event promoter and musician, with years of national and international experience of hosting, organising and running events.

As a proud Sheffield United supporter, I love the amazing fan experience that we provide for home and away fans on matchdays. I feel that with a couple of new introductions, a Sheffield United matchday experience could become the envy of the football league.

With Cherry Street now available to be closed, I feel there is a fantastic opportunity to hold a "United Street Market" featuring local businesses and independent traders. Vendors would be chosen carefully so as not to impact the revenue streams of any of the existing commercial partners, such as the concourse bars and eateries in Bramall Lane, as that would obviously be counter productive. Examples could include local clothing creators, artists, homeware designers, children's activities and much more.

It would also be a fantastic opportunity to set up a small music stage, to give upcoming and established local artists a chance to showcase their talents in front of thousands.

I'd envision this running from around 3hrs before kick off on home matchdays, with any active outdoor engagement ending at least 30-45mins before kick off, to allow fans to make their way inside the ground without causing excess congestion, and also to ensure that fans are being shepherded towards the club's in-house food and drink providers - to protect the club's matchday revenue.

This would help to bring many more people into the Bramall Lane area on a matchday, which would not only greatly benefit the local economy, but would also create a real buzz and allure around the Sheffield United matchday experience, with a warm and welcoming environment being provided for all the family.

As a community club, I feel that Sheffield United are perfectly placed to start an initiative like this, particularly given the recent closure of Cherry Street. Should Cherry Street be unfeasible, there is also the nearby "U Mix" centre, which could also be used to host the event. This would allow for a "fan park" style atmosphere and could even involve footballing activities for the younger supporters, given that the U Mix centre has the facilities. I have years of experience in the events field and would be delighted to take the lead in setting it up, I'd even be willing to do it on a voluntary basis until it's established, as I really am that confident that it will be a roaring success.

Our matchday experiences are already fantastic, it's perfectly reasonable to state that we provide one of the best matchday experiences in the division, as well as the football league. Personally, I'd like Sheffield United to be widely recognised as having one of the very best matchday experiences in the whole country.

I'd love to discuss this further with someone at the club, if the club feels thus would be a worthwhile and/or viable venture! I have a lot of passion for the project and already have several people willing to come onboard and make it a reality, this includes; a local soundsystem and stage hire company, several independent traders, three local music promoters and many more.

Hopefully you like the sound of the idea, as I say - I'd love to talk to someone about this in more detail. I'd be inclined to look at preparing something like this for either the new year, or possibly even for next season, given the obvious amount of organisation and logistics that a project of this scale would require.

Thank you very much for listening Jon, if you've made it this far! Apologies for the long-winded email, I just felt that it was best to get as much information out as possible, and I thought it'd be better to send a preliminary enquiry before launching into a full proposal or pitch.

Thanks again, hope to hear from you soon.

Many Thanks, "

Nice of them to even acknowledge it! It's still only been 11 days so I've not given up hope of a reply just yet...

Back
Top Bottom