Vokes has gone back to Wolves!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hendo on 20k a week...

The phrase 'no brainer' doesn't just apply to him it seems. :(

I thought the club had already made it known he was on £13k when they were trying to offload him last summer?

First thing. This is still a rumour that Vokes has gone to Norwich.

Second. He's not our player, his loan had expired, his parent club are allowed to listen to offers from elsewhere. Thats the deal with the loan system.

I'm gutted, but we also almost came a cropper with our strongest matchday team on sat.

We all bang on about not having a team made up of loanees and perhaps one day we'll not have to rely on the system. But Vokes came in on a short term deal, presumably to cover for the out of form Cresswell, the unwell Ched, the impact player Boggy, the petulant Ward, the failed loanee Bent and the long term crocked Hendo. Vokes eventually managed to give us a better option up top, but with Ched getting better, Boggy becoming less of an impact and more of a regular, Hendo coming back (for how long), then I suppose Micky will have little option but to go with the 4 that he has... plus Slew.

I don't like it and would love to have him back till the end of the season, but we can't slate the club for bringing in decent loanees when we have no money, but then slate the club for not renewing when we have other "capable" players available.

Based on Adams' quote, it sounds like the problem's more likely to be at the Wolves end than ours. Put yourself in their / his position if Norwich genuinely is an option and what would you do - that's the no brainer. I'd actually prefer Hendo leading the line if he's fit and if he can stay on the pitch - trouble is, that's two mighty big ifs.

If Sam Vokes is going back it just shows what a shambles the loan system is, how short sighted relying on 5 loan players per game is, and how crazy football has come when the lower calibre of Premiership clubs can stockpile players and have a dozen out on loan at any one time.

This will be third time that we have lost a key player in these circumstances, and quite frankly its not good enough. Instead of relying on loan players we need to get a squad of our own players, and only bring in a loan player in an emergency, or if there is no recall clause involved.

We can't slate the club for losing the player, if we thought the deal was done and Wolves have now changed their mind before any paperwork was signed then its their prerogative, he is after all registered to Wolves, though it clearly highlights why the club shouldn't have focused on the loan market so much again, firstly in the summer periods and secondly in the January transfer window, for all the money we have used again on loans we could have probably brought in three to four capable perm signings. The loan system is a great thing for covering short term holes, but our reliance to use it more as a long term system at the moment in the long term is again going to cost the club massively.

On RS. Its because Hendo is fit and available (for how long though) that we are not extending Vokes loan.
Shows how skint we are.

Vokes was excellent and a key element of each of the two games we've actually managed to win in living memory.

I'll give you the Leeds game but I think Vokes' goal against Forest masked what was actually a very ordinary performance from him. He looked totally disinterested in the first half and even his goal came as the result of a very poor first touch.

I'd rather have him here than not but I don't think losing him is the disaster some are making it out to be.

If Sam Vokes is going back it just shows what a shambles the loan system is, how short sighted relying on 5 loan players per game is, and how crazy football has come when the lower calibre of Premiership clubs can stockpile players and have a dozen out on loan at any one time.

This will be third time that we have lost a key player in these circumstances, and quite frankly its not good enough. Instead of relying on loan players we need to get a squad of our own players, and only bring in a loan player in an emergency, or if there is no recall clause involved.

Yes there is no denying that the loan system is a shambles, but the club could also argue(which they have and will) that Hendo was always first choice and as soon as he's fit then we play our contracted player. Afterall, us fans have complained all season that the club have lied to us and McCabe has gone back on his word by filling the team with loanees. Which is the entirely correct response...

The problem with it though, is that when I got the SMS from SUFC to say that Ward had gone to Derby the reasons it gave for him being allowed to to leave on loan was because we'd bolstered the squad with Vokes and Riise

No disaster losing Vokes, very average to say the least. The disaster is realying on a cart-horse to replce him....

His loan was up, he went back. No 'loss' for us at all.

The usual knee-jerk response from our hyper-critical fans.

Damned if you do
Damned if you don't....

It goes directly again what Adams said though, that's the part I don't get./

This is what sticks in peoples craw, not so much the loss, the waffle that goes with it (as ever). Why not just say he's going back and Hendo is fit and we'll muddle through??

This is what sticks in peoples craw, not so much the loss, the waffle that goes with it (as ever). Why not just say he's going back and Hendo is fit and we'll muddle through??

They daren't Muz.

this is the time when hendo needs to stand up and be counted and prove himself,if he cant then he should fuck off at the end of the season and lets get some players in who can do the biz

Because that's what Adams thought at the time he was asked. He probably went to the board and they thought differently. No conspiracy. No lies. Just the truth at the time as Adams saw it.

In January of this year, Arsenal had 17 players out on loan. You're right, it's getting fucking ridiculous.

It goes directly again what Adams said though, that's the part I don't get./

Not sure it does Robbie. Micky said that what he knew was that he'd agreed the loan, just needed the paperwork, he made no statement to say that he was definate or that we could rely on Hendo, did he? The OS has stated that it was because Hendo that we didn't renew

i sprayed my computer screen with coffee upon reading this

Coffee hey? ;)

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Not sure it does Robbie. Micky said that what he knew was that he'd agreed the loan, just needed the paperwork, he made no statement to say that he was definate or that we could rely on Hendo, did he? The OS has stated that it was because Hendo that we didn't renew

But why are we looking to seal him for the rest of the season, to then u-turn and say - well ya know actually, we've decided that Darius is here and we don't need him now.

Why didn't we realise this prior to MAs statement?

Coffee hey? ;)

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

But why are we looking to seal him for the rest of the season, to then u-turn and say - well ya know actually, we've decided that Darius is here and we don't need him now.

It could be because Micky might have wanted to keep bring him in till end of season but the board said no?

Coffee hey? ;)

I agree on that part, its made Micky look daft because its gone against what he said on Vokes, so now he has to change his stance to say "its ok, i've found Hendo, he was behind the door, apparently he's been there for a few weeks... oh and he's earning big money so we have to play him"

Stephen Jordan has come back from his loan spell at Huddersfield and they chose not to extend it. Perhaps his wages mean we can no longer budget for Vokes? Seems logical since both players have returned to their respective clubs at the same time after going on their loan spells at pretty much the same time.

I'd have preferred Micky to be saying "we've taken on Vokes till the end of the season as we've got him fit in the last few weeks... oh and Hendo has gone on loan to Cardiff because he ain't match fit and we have Vokes doing a more disciplined job and his wages are draining our resources"

I wonder if that now also free's up a loan place to bring in someone else by Friday

In January of this year, Arsenal had 17 players out on loan. You're right, it's getting fucking ridiculous.

Which is why I'd end the practise right now. You want to hoard em? You pay em. You want em to have some "experience"? Let them come up through their own ranks elsewhere, play for other clubs, and then pay market rates for the ones you want. The ones you don't still get a Professional career elsewhere.

Because that's what Adams thought at the time he was asked. He probably went to the board and they thought differently. No conspiracy. No lies. Just the truth at the time as Adams saw it.

Rubbish, Simon. Singing from the McCabe hymnsheet of double-spin more like. The tattered handbook left behind by kevin Blackwell.

I agree on that part, its made Micky look daft because its gone against what he said on Vokes, so now he has to change his stance to say "its ok, i've found Hendo, he was behind the door, apparently he's been there for a few weeks... oh and he's earning big money so we have to play him"

This is exactly it, if MA hadn't said anything about Vokes, and he went back, there'd be murmurings that we'd like to have kept him from fans and it'd be pretty much forgotten about in a few days.
We'd have realised we had to be resourceful, Hendo is back in contention and we plod on.

But from it looks like, we've enquired about it, we wanted it, the player wanted, the manager wanted it - and it hasn't happened, we then come out with - Hendo is back so it's all good. But we knew he was back before any MA release.

It looks like to me that the board have suddenly realised that we don't need to spend out on an extra wage because Hendo is back in contention.
Alternatively, another club have enquired and Wolves pulled the deal.

This is exactly it, if MA hadn't said anything about Vokes, and he went back, there'd be murmurings that we'd like to have kept him from fans and it'd be pretty much forgotten about in a few days.
We'd have realised we had to be resourceful, Hendo is back in contention and we plod on.

But from it looks like, we've enquired about it, we wanted it, the player wanted, the manager wanted it - and it hasn't happened, we then come out with - Hendo is back so it's all good. But we knew he was back before any MA release.

It looks like to me that the board have suddenly realised that we don't need to spend out on an extra wage because Hendo is back in contention.
Alternatively, another club have enquired and Wolves pulled the deal.

Yeah at the moment we don't know why, just that the club say Hendo and the others are enough.

It could well tie in with Collins and Ertls Injuries that we need a loanee to come in by friday to cover at the back... if that is the case then better to say that than the Hendo drivel.

Back
Top Bottom