Has Hecky stumbled upon our best formation at last?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Well, I think we were all a bit surprised by the initial team selection v Wolves. Assuming 532 with Baldock RCB. A somewhat negative but typical formation put out to try and save Hecky's neck, bundled together out of the fit players he had left.
This negative approach just about held out 1st half. We could have gone in 1 or 2 nil down against more clinical finishing, or if Neto had played. Followed by a torrid 2nd half of the same drivel we have been used to.
The surprise at not being behind, though rarely making a threat on their goal, buoyed the crowd and the team ready for the 2nd Half.The injury to Brewster forced Hecky's hand. Just before the interval. Otherwise we would have had to wait until 75 minutes or conceding a goal before any change occurred.

So, in good spirits we come out to a raucous crowd, in an unfamiliar sort of 5221 formation, or even 3421 if you like.
McAtee and Hamer did seem released behind Archer and relished the challenge.
With Furious leading from the back down the right and JLT commanding down the left there was a sudden burst of passion that ignited the fans and the team. We looked and felt like Blades again.

The combination of Baldock, Bogle and McAtee on the right was quite progressive. JLT and Thomas kept trying to feed Hamer on the left. Threats down both channels for a change. And Vinni was doing what he was supposed to do in helping out defensively on both flanks. Norwood, well, a few wasted Hollywood balls, lots of pointing and the occasional tackle. But he did step up when finally needed.
We have now realised Archer's potential. Feed him chances in and around the area and he'll put it away. He is not a chase around the pitch guy that will harry defenders into mistakes, or a playmaker. Just feed him the ball near the box and leave it to him.
Wolves actually looked panicked for most of that 2nd half. The first time we have really seen a team do thst since last season.
Yes, some good fortune in the end, but deservedly so and time we were due the rub of the green.
I hope Hecky has now learnt from this forced change of formation. It has happened to us a couple of times in the past with MGW and Ndaiye, then last year with McAtee, Berge and NDiaye. A forced change of formation unveils some new bonds or channels we did not know were available before.
Go for it Blades, we will still lose many games, but we have a route or two to their goal, which was sadly lacking before and a guy given the right service who can bang one in!

Last edited:

Yes best substitution of the afternoon.

Hecky did say he was only giving Brewster 45 mins anyway wether injured or not.

McAtee was the driving force.

O'Neil awarded the worst substitution of the day bringing on Fabiohno Silva fist job was to flatten Furios and gets booked and then fouls Furious for the winning penalty.

Well, I think we were all a bit surprised by the initial team selection v Wolves. Assuming 532 with Baldock RCB. A somewhat negative but typical formation put out to try and save Hecky's neck, bundled together out of the fit players he had left.
This negative approach just about held out 1st half. We could have gone in 1 or 2 nil down against more clinical finishing, or if Neto has played. Followed by a torrid 2nd half of the same drivel we have been used to.
The surprise at not being behind, though rarely making a threat on their goal, buoyed the crowd and the team ready for the 2nd Half.The injury to Brewster forced Hecky's hand. Just before the interval. Otherwise we would have had to wait until 75 minutes or conceding a goal before any change occurred.

So, in good spirits we come out to a raucous crowd, in an unfamiliar sort of 5221 formation, or even 3421 if you like.
With Furious leading from the back down the right and JLT commanding down the left there was a sudden burst of passion that ignited the fans and the team. We looked and felt like Blades again.

The combination of Baldock, Bogle and McAtee on the right was quite progressive. JLT and Thomas kept trying to feed Hamer on the left. Threats down both channels for a change. And Vinni was doing what he was supposed to do in helping out defensively on both flanks. Norwood, well, a few wasted Hollywood balls, lots of pointing and the occasional tackle. But he did step up when finally needed.
We have now realised Archer's potential. Feed him chances in and around the area and he'll put it away. He is not a chase around the pitch guy that will harry defenders into mistakes, or a playmaker. Just feed him the ball near the box and leave it to him.
Wolves actually looked panicked for most of that 2nd half. The first time we have really seen a team do thst since last season.
Yes, some good fortune in the end, but deservedly so and time we were due the rub of the green.
I hope Hecky has now learnt from this forced change of formation. It has happened to us a couple of times in the past with MGW and Ndaiye, then last year with McAtee, Bergep
and NDiaye. A forced change of formation unveils some new bonds or channels we did not know were available before.
Go for it Blades, we will still lose many games, but we have a route or two to their goal, which was sadly lacking before and a guy given the right service who can bang one in!
PH said in his post match interview that the change was planned for half time before the match as Brewster went into the match with a slight knee problem. So it was a planned tactical change, not forced on him.

This negative approach just about held out 1st half. We could have gone in 1 or 2 nil down against more clinical finishing, or if Neto had played. Followed by a torrid 2nd half of the same drivel we have been used to.

I hope Hecky has now learnt from this forced change of formation. It has happened to us a couple of times in the past with MGW and Ndaiye, then last year with McAtee, Berge and NDiaye. A forced change of formation unveils some new bonds or channels we did not know were available before.
Might have something to do with a couple of returning experience players

good news is more to come
if you can't select who you like to play makes things harder

and theres not been enough in the team to show how we should play to the newer players

the shoots of that happening began to sprout in the second half
( first sprout of Christmas)

JLT switched to central during the game and Trusty went on the left.
Aye, after about half an hour which sorted out that ball down our left to Hwang which kept f***ing us up. I'm not sure he really got another kick after. Trusty was quicker up against him, JLT strong up against their big twat. Changed the game (as massively did McAtee).

PH said in his post match interview that the change was planned for half time before the match as Brewster went into the match with a slight knee problem. So it was a planned tactical change, not forced on him.
I think the operative words are "post match"......Captain Hindsight strikes again.
Why risk Brewster if he was carrying a knock, and he now looks injured and out? Surely Hecky normally brings on players in the 2nd half if they are not fully fit, he doesn't start them? What the hell? We won, who cares.

Pretty sure 3-4-2-1 would've been the plan for this season from the off if the management team had had more control over ins and outs.

Let's not get carried away Wolves let's be honest were poor and I think the weather and the soggy pitch helped us out a bit, it certainly stopped their crisp fast passing.
We have a tough away game next Sunday I would snatch anyone's arm off for a point right now.
Although they are not in the best of form two wins in eight one in the Europa league against Ajax and the other against Bournemouth at home, they also have too travel to Ajax on Thursday.
While yesterday was brilliant and let's enjoy it and it will certainly give everyone at the club a boost, next weekend will probably give us an idea if we have actually turned the corner.

Let's not get carried away Wolves let's be honest were poor and I think the weather and the soggy pitch helped us out a bit, it certainly stopped their crisp fast passing.
We have a tough away game next Sunday I would snatch anyone's arm off for a point right now.
Although they are not in the best of form two wins in eight one in the Europa league against Ajax and the other against Bournemouth at home, they also have too travel to Ajax on Thursday.
While yesterday was brilliant and let's enjoy it and it will certainly give everyone at the club a boost, next weekend will probably give us an idea if we have actually turned the corner.
Exactly this. Every team we've played before yesterday looked like they were in a higher league than us. Wolves looked like a side we could compete with and even they should have been a couple up at HT. I think the win is definitely more important than the performance. I just hope PH learns from it. Footballers are strange creatures and this could give them all an extra yard.

Exactly this. Every team we've played before yesterday looked like they were in a higher league than us. Wolves looked like a side we could compete with and even they should have been a couple up at HT. I think the win is definitely more important than the performance. I just hope PH learns from it. Footballers are strange creatures and this could give them all an extra yard.
How should they have been a couple up ?
They didnt have a shot on target

OP .....

We could have been 1 or 2 goals up at half time if McBurnie, Jebbison had been available.
We could have nullified that rather impotent threat from Wolves in the first half if Anel, RND, Egan and Bash had been available.

But that's giving Hecky far too much credit so let's say how unlucky Wolves were because they had Neto unavailable.

Hecky said the change over Brewster for McAtee was happening at half time anyway.
He wanted to play a back four at Arsenal with the intention of playing George in a LCB position against Wolves. He didn't want to give anything away to the Wolves management team of how we would set up. All fine margins that he looks for and asks his players to respond to.

Hecky is continually looking for ways of improving players and the team and yet it's only on here that a positive result can be turned into a negative dig at our manager.

Just a question pulled out of thin air , if we are in a reasonable position come the transfer window, will hecky get the funds for the 3/4 players we obviously need ??
(1) central defender
(2) 2 central midfielders
(3) ATM
Experienced premiership players probably on loan ? no doubt someone can build a list of players who are not playing regularly and/or fallen out with their coaching team or not made the 25 man squads

I just don't get Bogle.
He just doesn't look confident.
First half he was completely isolated and didn't really know what to do with the ball, second half you could see him grow in confidence a bit once he had options to play with and he even ran forward with the ball a couple of times like he always used to do. He was still a bit sloppy with some of the passing but hopefully that bit more confidence gets him more composed in future.

He wanted to play a back four at Arsenal with the intention of playing George in a LCB position against Wolves. .
Why on earth would George be at LCB?

Just a question pulled out of thin air , if we are in a reasonable position come the transfer window, will hecky get the funds for the 3/4 players we obviously need ??
(1) central defender
(2) 2 central midfielders
(3) ATM
Experienced premiership players probably on loan ? no doubt someone can build a list of players who are not playing regularly and/or fallen out with their coaching team or not made the 25 man squads
No. The Prince is in damage limitation mode. He admitted that rhe financial problems last year affected his health and home life.

There's no chance anyone buys us at his valuation and we are almost certainly going down. His sole consideration for next year is to keep us financially sound.

I'd guess we are more likely sellers than buyers !

How should they have been a couple up ?
They didnt have a shot on target
Stats may say they didn’t but Wes tipped one over the bar, just finger tips but great save, didn’t notice it myself until I watched the highlights. Couple of more times they proper fumbled their way towards goal when trying to walk it in. One that springs to mind looked like their lad was going to have a tap in and it basically hit him and trickled wide. They could have had one or two goals on another day.

Saying that I still think we were slightly the better out of two very poor sides that first half.

Stats may say they didn’t but Wes tipped one over the bar, just finger tips but great save, didn’t notice it myself until I watched the highlights. Couple of more times they proper fumbled their way towards goal when trying to walk it in. One that springs to mind looked like their lad was going to have a tap in and it basically hit him and trickled wide. They could have had one or two goals on another day.

Saying that I still think we were slightly the better out of two very poor sides that first half.
The shot that was tipped over was going over anyway but i take your point
They had the better 'chances ' but it was a tight and scruffy game up to half time i was replying to a post that said they ' should ' have been 2 up
Thats really hard to do with no shots on target

I just don't get Bogle.
He just doesn't look confident.
I‘be been thinking the opposite this season - several times he has started a run , got past a player then ran into a couple more, lost the ball and we have then been dangerously exposed because he is so out of position and no-one else is covering.

First half he was completely isolated and didn't really know what to do with the ball, second half you could see him grow in confidence a bit once he had options to play with and he even ran forward with the ball a couple of times like he always used to do. He was still a bit sloppy with some of the passing but hopefully that bit more confidence gets him more composed in future.

Why on earth would George be at LCB?
RCB - Thanks

Baldock, Trusty, Egan Anel, Thomas is solid imo. We just need to win midfield battles more often and show a bit of composure, rather than lumping it into a channel as an easy option when under pressure

One thing that was noticeable from BLUT in the second half was the organisation and communication between players. First half Thomas was under pressure due to Wolves quickly over loading on our left with huge gaps between Thomas and Robinson.

Second half Trusty and Thomas were not as far apart and as we upped the tempo and our enthusiasm, the defence and the defensive midfielders did a good job of keeping them out.

Hecky claims the formation switch was the plan all along. Not sure I believe him.

Back
Top Bottom