United 2 Wolves 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay - at a black tie event last night straight after the game and it went on late.....

Finally at the eleventh time of asking, United fans could celebrate that winning feeling after late drama at a rain sodden Bramall Lane on Saturday afternoon. The Blades showed real fighting spirit and desire to get the three points and the scenes on full time showed what it meant to everybody inside the ground. The first half performance had been poor with yet another lifeless display with no attacking intent. Wolves should have been in front but United went in level and it was a totally different game in the 2nd half as the home side dominated for long spells. Substitute McAtee made a real difference and it was from his ricochet that Cameron Archer was able to give United a lead with a fantastic long-range effort that cannoned in of the underside of the bar. Wolves did not really threaten a response at all and United continued to fight hard but it was late heartbreak seemingly when Bellegarde curled a shot into the top corner in the 89th minute. United kept going and after having two VAR checks not given for handball, referee Robert Jones pointed to the spot in the 99th minute for a foul by Fabio Silva on George Baldock. After another check, this time it went in the Blades favour and Norwood with essentially the last kick of the game smashed the ball home to send the crowd jubilant.

In a miserable afternoon in terms of the weather, United changed their side again as Baldock and Archer were back in the side with Slimane and McAtee on the bench. It seemed Baldock would set up as the wide right centre back in a more familiar formation after it had been tweaked in recent games. Wolves have had a mixed start to the season but new manager Gary O’Neil has been getting plaudits for how he has been setting them up. Star man Pedro Neto was out injured so former Blade Tommy Doyle started for the all gold for his full league debut.

Wolves settled the better in the tricky conditions but were moving it around crisply and looking the more dangerous. Semedo worked an opening and his effort was not far over. Hwang and Cunha were showing quick feet and positive play when in possession. The imposing Kalajdzic was proving an awkward customer up front and linking with teammates to ensure Wolves remained up the field. In contrast the rather static Brewster and Archer were not able to offer a semblance of threat. Semedo fired over after Wolves came forward at pace.

Baldock’s over zealous play saw him cautioned after two challenges in quick succession. Hwang was proving an issue as he moved around the frontline and Thomas was struggling to deal with the threats coming at him with Cunha’s running down the right a feature of the opening stages. Trusty lost out in a duel and Wolves were away but Robinson got in the interception.

Soon after Cunha had an effort as he came inside that Foderingham had to tip over and it was al Wolves at this stage. Hwang then was able to easily get behind the defence after Jones played the advantage but his cross come shot came at Ait-Nouri too quickly and he made a mess of a really good chance with men over too. Cunha then fed Semedo but the ball was miskicked with another good chance going begging.

United had not offered anything from an attacking sense at all and were struggling to keep any possession yet alone mount any sustained raids on the Wolves defence. Brewster’s afternoon was over when he picked up a knock just before half time and had to hobble off with McAtee coming on. It was another tough break for the striker who had struggled to show any kind of fitness or form in his three-year spell at the Lane.

Wolves had dominated and missed some good opportunities but Foderingham only had one save to make despite their advantage in territory and attacking intent. United had not mustered any kind of opportunity at all.

United came out second half and seemed more determined in their approach. They were playing noticeable higher up the field and Archer was looking livelier with McAtee a good source of support. Archer was able to get his shot away but curled just over before Dawson clumsily brought down McAtee earning a yellow card. McAtee’s effort was curled over.

Bogle was now well forward and Hamer also was working hard to get on the ball and he had an effort over the bar. There was a much more concerted effort from the whole team to get the Blades moving forward and play more positive football. It was a really sustained spell of pressure with several corners won in quick succession. Norwood hit a shot a long way over as he tried to find the top corner. Bellegarde came on for Kalajdzic as Wolves tried to find a response but their second half fadeout was probably somewhat alarming for manager Gary O’Neil. A VAR check for a handball surprised everyone in the crowd but it was quickly waved away before the United corner.

Bogle’s attacking thrust gave United a new dimension they had not seen all season and he was baulked by Doyle seeing him go into the book. The free kick was cleared but the pressure remained on as United finally were controlling a Premier League game for maybe the first time this season? Doyle got a good ovation as he came off for Traore.

On 72 minutes the Blades took the lead. It came from a fortunate deflection as the ball came off McAtee and rebounded forward and with Wolves defensive line almost on half way, ARCHER was able to run on. He had a long way to go and defenders were quickly in pursuit but the striker opted to take the shot early and smashed a beauty in off the bar and down over the line giving

After the goal United continued to win the challenges and were out fighting their opponents. Wolves made another change with Fabio Silva on for Toti but his first contribution was to clumsily elbow Baldock and go a yellow card. United continued to work hard and Wolves were not really threatening at this stage with Lemina’s effort at Foderingham the first shot they had all half and was easy for the keeper.

The game drifted into the final minute and Hamer seemed to be struggling and went down but the game was allowed to play on after Trusty kicked it out and the change was not allowed. The throw in was taken a long way from where it should have been and United were left sleeping as Traore’s cross fell for BELLEGARDE who took a touch and turned and no challenge was incoming. The Frenchman hit a curling effort that took a slight deflection and nestled into the corner.

There was to be 6 minutes of stoppage time played but there were a number of additional stoppages within including more checks for decisions and delays to the ball coming back in play.

Osborn came on for Hamer but Wolves now sensed they could win it and Silva headed wide but was ruled offside but United kept plugging away and had another appeal for a penalty when a shot was ruled that Dawson did not use his hand in an illegal manner after a lengthy check. A final attack was launched and McAtee’s cross was blocked with the referee judging it to go off the Wolves man and a late corner resulted. The ball came over and after it was not cleared it bounced off Archer and then Baldock got his body across and Silva clumsily tried to make an interception. Jones had no doubt and gave the penalty instantly. There was a lengthy check but there was not enough to overturn it.

After the delay where Souza was stood on the spot with the ball and stopping any Wolves player from scuffing the spot, NORWOOD took responsibility and absolutely leathered the ball into the net, once again off the underside of the bar. The skipper slid to his knees in the corner and was quickly joined by his ecstatic teammates amid wild scenes. The game was restarted, now in the 100th minute, but the referee blew for time almost instantly. As Status Quo emanated from the PA for the first time this season, the players saluted the crowd with the relief and delight clear in equal measures. United’s second half turnaround was remarkable and led to the first league win and new hope restored for the weeks to come and a massive moment for manager Paul Heckingbottom whose job was in some question.

United – At last it came. Not only the win and a huge three points to get that monkey off our backs but it was the passion, determination and attacking intent that saw United actually look like they belonged at this level. Although we have had pockets of play at Forest and Spurs and the home game against Everton and Man Utd, we have rarely put any kind of prolonged good play together and not had any control of a game really at all even in the ones above. Today that finally happened and the second half was great in the sense that all those attributes in terms of out run, out fight and out play came back to the fore. The two goals and the late winner were superb and to see so many people smiling again was great to see and lifts the doom and gloom that was all around the players and fans alike. We still have a long way to go and not sure I expect a run of wins or us to suddenly change things around but give the players and fans confidence we might at least do better in these games against some of the lesser sides.

It did not seem likely at all at half time. We went back to a 5 at the back (or 3 but it was more a 5 till half time!) with Baldock inside but despite all the talk about formation I am not sure it is that big a factor despite a lot of talk about it going to help us by going to a 4-42 and is more about us just not keeping the ball and showing a positive intent and almost being fearful.

Sadly, I thought United carried on the same sluggish and lacklustre form of the season so far. We barely had an attack, did not have the ball and just sat off and defended in a low block again. It was desperate to watch and it seemed that if this had carried on for the second half, then there was a real chance I felt that there would have been a managerial change coming. Wolves were not amazing but moved it around, ran at us and had all the technical players who were able to penetrate. They weirdly only had a couple of chances with a few long rangers and one Wes save and then a few that came across the box and just did not quick sit. They dominated completely though and should have been leading as we offered nothing. Archer and particularly Brewster were desperately poor and not showing any movement at all. Souza and Norwood’s immobility and inability to move the ball on quickly meant United had no foothold in the game at all. It was not good at all and we did not put a tackle in barely as they came often down the left-hand side of United with Thomas clearly being targeted. It seemed another side that seemed physically bigger and stronger too and meant we could not stem the attacks coming in. We got in level but I was concerned how we could change it, tactically or personnel, to arrest the way the game had gone.

To be fair to Heckingbottom, the team must have been spoken to in a way that we got an instant response. We seemed to get in the Wolves players faces, started competing more and won tackles/50-50’s. McAtee’s positive approach really helped as he started to dribble and go at defenders. Bogle also played the best he has done for a long time and got forward with Baldock’s inclusion helping him to have the shackles off. We immediately started to have attacks and Archer, Hamer, and Norwood all had efforts. We were getting stuck in and making Wolves turn around and face the other way. McAtee continued to be a threat and we won corners/free kicks and kept the pressure on. The rain got worse and this seemed to help us even more and the crowd noise went up. It was a dark, miserable evening and the players were slipping and sliding but the atmosphere seemed to crank up off the deteriorating conditions.

It was actually one way traffic for a long period and the goal when it came was not a surprise which is the first time I have said that this season when we score! It saw us get a bit of fortune but was a superb hit as he took it early. Archer was poor first half but improved massively after the break. The whole team individually and collectively all went up several notches and Wolves almost seemed to cave in a bit and did not really get out all second half. Even after the goal, they only really had a few attacks and nothing too concerning. It seemed we would see it out and I did not think they were looking like levelling but then Hamer is injured and we cannot make the change (I was more annoyed at where the throw was taken) and the cross is not stopped or dealt with. The shot was decent but he should not have been allowed to turn and of course it gets deflected. I just thought that summed up the season but we did keep going and it became a bit basketball-y as both teams attacked. We had 2 VAR appeals (I have not seen either back but some suggest the second might have been given?) and after the second one was not given after a long delay, you felt that was that. However, we get another penalty appeal and this one was given. I can see arguments both ways and as it had not been given, it would not have been overturned in the same way they did not see enough to overturn it the other way. It was clever from Baldock as he got his body in a great position and a bit naïve from Silva to even attempt to get the ball. I still thought ‘bet they overturn it’ but they didn’t and Norwood really showed a lot of bottle to smash home.

Over the course of the game, Wolves dominated the first half and we did the same in the second half so maybe you could argue a draw was a fair result but for what we did and how determined we were and the efforts on goal/penalty appeals etc, we maybe just about shaded it in that sense so if anyone deserved to win, it was United you could argue. It was a great feeling when the ball went in and on full time. It was almost like we had forgotten what it felt like to win a game! To score with the last kick makes it even better.

I was just pleased we showed some determination and pride. I am not sure we played amazing football or looked that fluent, even when we did improve but what we did do was play with a tempo and really were determined not to just roll over and lose. It was like a switch at half time had been flicked and we finally felt like a Premier League side finally. McAtee did make a big difference but as I say the whole team just improved.

I am still not convinced this team is anywhere good enough to stay up and we still have a horrific injury list but hopefully we can get Ahmedhozic and McBurnie back after the break to help us. For now, though it is just nice to have a weekend where our football club has won and to leave the Lane feeling positive for the first time since last May. The short-term euphoria of a win at any level of football cannot underestimated so that is what we need to just hold onto for this week at least.

Ratings (I could actually give first half and second half marks but will try and average them out so they might be lower than perhaps some would give – as is over 90 mins).

Foderingham 6/10 – The least he has had to do all season really. Tipped one over first half and fielded another easy effort. His mark is as it is because his kicking was shocking all game and he rarely got to half way on many or would kick it out. He really struggles with this aspect of his game. On the goal, I will say at first I thought it was right in the top corner but it wasn’t and again he got his hand to it and it went in half way up. The deflection means I am not sure I will say ‘he should have saved it’ but I would expect a good keeper at this level to do better. Maybe I am being harsh again.

Bogle 7.5/10 – First half not in the game offensively and he sat off too as they attacked down both sides. He was not able to really get close to his man. Second half a completely different player. He got down the right time after time and looked like the Bogle of a few years ago. He was a constant threat with his runs and link up. They brought him down a few times and he was one of our main attackers. Really pleased to see him back on form and hopefully this will give him renewed confidence.

Thomas 6.5/10 – To start the game thought he was woeful again as they attacked at will down this side and he was not tight to his man or out of position. He just did not seem switched on and his lack of pace showed up too as they ran off him easily. He did put a tackle in just before half time and this seemed to galvanise him and he improved after the break. He was steadier in his work and defending and got tighter to his man. We attacked more down the right but he still was able to get higher up the field.

Baldock 7/10 – His enthusiasm, tackling and determination was a really welcome return. First half he was a bit silly and gave away a few cheap fouls and a daft booking too which meant he had to be careful and actually some refs might have given him a second for a clear trip later on. He made sure the Wolves players did not have the space they enjoyed first half and was able to win the loose stuff and helped us get up the field. Allowed Bogle to go forward more too. His reactions at the end summed up his passion and what it means to him.

Robinson 7.5/10 – Thought he continued his consistent form in the sense that even first half one of the few getting tighter and making tackles. He is the only player who probably had a ‘consistent’ game from start to finish. Put in tackles and blocks when he could. His desire to get to the ball and not lose his battle is something the others can learn a lot off (granted they all did that more second half)

Trusty 7/10 – He has been ok since he came in but he has sadly made some errors or been undone by quality (as seen at Arsenal). He is a decent athlete, ok in the air and no nonsense. He shows he is quite determined and will get his foot in when he can. Not great at using the ball though and can switch off and not mark (saw that at the end when he just lost Silva- the offside header – not sure he knew much about it being offside).

Souza 6.5/10 – Odd game. I thought he was really poor first half and slow to do things, stood off and just looked sluggish – like the rest. He did not seem to know who to pick up or where to go and we had a big gap between defence and attack. He made a few tackles but again not sure what his role was meant to be as the defence was exposed again. Second half he improved a lot and he got closer, won tackles and was much more determined. He even played a few forward passes. He got around the pitch more and seemed to find new energy. He does clearly care as his reaction on both their goal and our winner showed as he laid prostrate on the floor.

Norwood 6.5/10 – Like the above, he was too slow and laborious first half and not able to affect the game. His passing was poor and he tossed it away cheaply. We had nobody tackling or stopping the penetration at all. He got much better after the break in the sense his passing improved and he was able to get amongst the Wolves players more. I still think his set plays were not great but then despite things not hitting the mark again, he showed so much courage to take the late penalty knowing it was essentially a kick to keep his manager in a job perhaps. I was worried he would take the same kick he often does, which is a few feet off the ground to the keepers right and would be rather telegraphed but he took a beauty and it was unstoppable. He never shies away from the big moments or getting on the ball – no matter what I think of his passing and distribution which has been poor this season. Given him a mark or so higher for the penalty!

Hamer 6.5/10 – Like all the midfield (and team), just not really in the game first half and it sort of passed him by. He was unable to keep it when it came to him and he looked like he was struggling to know how to get involved as we defended. He too did not do enough to stop the Wolves players running through. Second half he was more the aggressor in terms of him getting on the ball, being busy and working much harder. He linked with others and had a few efforts on goal too. He suddenly became a good link between defence and attack and his work ethic went up. Did get injured and go off near the end – not sure if this is another serious one?

Brewster 3/10 – Don’t think there was much between him and Brewster first half in terms of how little they offered to the team albeit with no real service but they both needed to work much harder and move off the ball. Brewster was totally immobile. He hid behind his defender and then when he did touch it, he made poor decisions or it came off him. The effort he puts in is not good enough. He has to press/harry or close down but barely breaks into a job. He does not seem to get it. He runs into the wrong areas and just never looks a threat. The injury then came and of course we improved which is not a coincidence. He is never fit and when he plays looks way off the level required (he did at the Champ). He has had maybe 2 or 3 decent to ok games in 4 years. Sorry to be harsh but he has been a complete waste of money and I am not even sure he is Championship standard. We need to get him out on loan (if he is ever fit) as he is nowhere near good enough to be playing for a Premier League side. He might be a nice lad and enthusiastic but reality is when his contract is up at the end of the next season, he will move on a free and struggle to get a club much higher than lower Champ at best/League One.

Archer 7/10 – First half he was static, did not close down and not in the game. Him and Brewster had little service but were miles apart and not even harrying defenders when it did come down the field. Cheaply gave it away when he had it and looked a bit disinterested. After Brewster went off, he was more on his own but weirdly was not as we had McAtee, Bogle and others all around him and we suddenly looked an attacking threat. He looked much more determined and got on the ball and started to drive forward. One decent shot over and some other good link play and then a brilliant goal. He knew he had to get his shot away as defenders were getting back but what a hit. After this he worked hard and was still involved to the end – in the penalty.

Subs –

McAtee 8/10 – Huge difference maker. He got on the ball and ran at players. Showed quick feet, dribbled with it and got Wolves worried. Won a number of free kicks and looked our main threat and showed the form we saw last season. His control, touch and ability to go at players is something teams hate. He was very positive in everything he did. He has to show those standards every week though as he can be a big player for us if he is like that.

Osborn – With Hamer down he was readied to come on but after we conceded I would have put a more attacking threat on but he kept with the same change. Not sure he touched it much the time that he was on.

Manager: Heckingbottom 7.5/10 – A win and maybe one that saves his job. For now. The first half was wretched and it just seemed the same lacklustre display where we tossed the ball away and had no idea or intention of attacking really. His team talk had a big effect as we were a different side. We got higher up the field, we got on it, got amongst it and showed a totally different approach and desire. We had efforts and it was all high tempo. In the end this desire got us the win. Really pleased for Hecky as it must have been tough and as he said without the winner, he might have gone (said he may have not been standing there talking to the press after the game). It now gives him temporary salvation it would seem and although Brighton is tough next week, we then have Bournemouth and Luton and hopefully a chance to get another win or two.

Wolves – Bits I have seen of them this season they have looked decent and not a side you expect to be near the bottom of the league despite some fools (me!) predicting them to possibly go down this season due to the managerial changes and players they have lost. In truth when I have seen them they have been decent with some positive and fluent attacking player and been well organised. They have beat or run close a few really good teams. Today they looked much better than us first half and better final choices and they would have been a few goals up. They showed technically and the movement they have, that they are a level above us. However, they failed to score and then as we improved they did not get going at all after the break. They ended up defending like we had been and there was no real sense of how they could get up the field. They ended up stopping likes of McAtee and Bogle by illegal means and kind of were hanging on till Archer scored when they seemed to be way too high up the field. They did get back into it but had not really looked like coming but was a decent strike and at that stage after the 2nd half fadeout may have just took the point but ended up defending again and a few chances/appeals happened before the penalty. O’Neil did moan a lot about the penalty but he did concede they were not great after the break. I still think they will not be near the bottom three at the end of the season and have enough to be away from any trouble but showed that if United get amongst sides like them, they can get results and compete against such teams.

Opponent Man of the Match – Hwang was the main threat as he got down the sides and the middle. He faded after the break. Ditto for Cunha. The lad who came on and scored looked lively.

Opponent Weak link – Has to be Fabio Silva. Came on, got booked for leading with an arm and then gave the penalty away. It may have been soft but was a silly tackle to make. I am never convinced by Dawson who always looks clumsy to me and also cannot believe he is still only 33. Strangely he has played for West Ham, Watford, West Brom and now Wolves so surely will end his career at Walsall? I thought the big centre forward was not great and quite slow but did win a few headers.

Referee/Officials – I thought Jones was ok actually despite the criticism of both managers in and after the game. He tried to let it flow and only penalise obvious fouls (one dive from a Wolves player apart he did not see and guessed) and thought he was not particularly fussy. The VAR checks are obviously out of his control but I did not think they were penalties at the time and surprised they were even being checked? The moments of controversy were the late goals. Hamer went down but then got up so not sure the ref would wait – so not sure what Hecky’s point was? I was more annoyed that the throw in was taken nowhere near where it went out and caught us off the guard. The penalty I was surprised as at the time thought he went down easily and looked soft but seeing it back, there is some contact and it’s a daft challenge. Again, if it had been given against us sure a lot would say it was soft and might have similar feelings to O’Neil but not sure it was a scandalous decision as he makes out? It fell into the category of, ‘could be give/could be not’ but not sure it was a dreadful error and VAR agreed with that. I just thought it was a stupid tackle and of course the forward player will go down. Odd that he helped Wolves players up twice after they fell to the deck which did not endear himself to the United fans -not a good look.

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage – Really vocal and after the poor first half, we improved hugely and the crowd and the atmosphere went up. The swirling torrential rain lashed down and the team rolled up their sleeves and the crowd in turn responded. It was like the old days as the Kop tried to suck the ball in. The noise on the goals was something else and the reaction on full time really special. The crowd was down slightly but with the match day prices you can understand why the few who just go match by match would not necessarily choose Wolves in awful weather with us losing every week. Still those there got their rewards and like the last we played Wolves at this level scored with almost the last kick to win it.

Norwood.

3 out of 10. Tops. Horrific midfield performance. Sorry but that’s the top and bottom of it.

Love the way he struck the pen and the emotion he showed immediately afterwards but is / has been a huge part of our problems this season.

UTB

Norwood.

3 out of 10. Tops. Horrific midfield performance. Sorry but that’s the top and bottom of it.

Love the way he struck the pen and the emotion he showed immediately afterwards but is / has been a huge part of our problems this season.

UTB
Without him scoring the pen I'd have been more a 4/10 but was such a big moment and he stood up huge here and does deserve credit. Do think we need to be moving away from him though and when McBurnie is fit he heeds to try Souza, Hamer and McAtee for a period even if it does leave us vulnerable defensively.

and like the last we played Wolves at this level scored with almost the last kick to win it.
Brilliant report as always DB, however Wolves did the double over us last time we played at this level, it was the season before that Egan's header won it

United – At last it came. Not only the win and a huge three points to get that monkey off our backs but it was the passion, determination and attacking intent that saw United actually look like they belonged at this level. Although we have had pockets of play at Forest and Spurs and the home game against Everton and Man Utd, we have rarely put any kind of prolonged good play together and not had any control of a game really at all even in the ones above. Today that finally happened and the second half was great in the sense that all those attributes in terms of out run, out fight and out play came back to the fore. The two goals and the late winner were superb and to see so many people smiling again was great to see and lifts the doom and gloom that was all around the players and fans alike. We still have a long way to go and not sure I expect a run of wins or us to suddenly change things around but give the players and fans confidence we might at least do better in these games against some of the lesser sides.

It did not seem likely at all at half time. We went back to a 5 at the back (or 3 but it was more a 5 till half time!) with Baldock inside but despite all the talk about formation I am not sure it is that big a factor despite a lot of talk about it going to help us by going to a 4-42 and is more about us just not keeping the ball and showing a positive intent and almost being fearful.

Sadly, I thought United carried on the same sluggish and lacklustre form of the season so far. We barely had an attack, did not have the ball and just sat off and defended in a low block again. It was desperate to watch and it seemed that if this had carried on for the second half, then there was a real chance I felt that there would have been a managerial change coming. Wolves were not amazing but moved it around, ran at us and had all the technical players who were able to penetrate. They weirdly only had a couple of chances with a few long rangers and one Wes save and then a few that came across the box and just did not quick sit. They dominated completely though and should have been leading as we offered nothing. Archer and particularly Brewster were desperately poor and not showing any movement at all. Souza and Norwood’s immobility and inability to move the ball on quickly meant United had no foothold in the game at all. It was not good at all and we did not put a tackle in barely as they came often down the left-hand side of United with Thomas clearly being targeted. It seemed another side that seemed physically bigger and stronger too and meant we could not stem the attacks coming in. We got in level but I was concerned how we could change it, tactically or personnel, to arrest the way the game had gone.

To be fair to Heckingbottom, the team must have been spoken to in a way that we got an instant response. We seemed to get in the Wolves players faces, started competing more and won tackles/50-50’s. McAtee’s positive approach really helped as he started to dribble and go at defenders. Bogle also played the best he has done for a long time and got forward with Baldock’s inclusion helping him to have the shackles off. We immediately started to have attacks and Archer, Hamer, and Norwood all had efforts. We were getting stuck in and making Wolves turn around and face the other way. McAtee continued to be a threat and we won corners/free kicks and kept the pressure on. The rain got worse and this seemed to help us even more and the crowd noise went up. It was a dark, miserable evening and the players were slipping and sliding but the atmosphere seemed to crank up off the deteriorating conditions.

It was actually one way traffic for a long period and the goal when it came was not a surprise which is the first time I have said that this season when we score! It saw us get a bit of fortune but was a superb hit as he took it early. Archer was poor first half but improved massively after the break. The whole team individually and collectively all went up several notches and Wolves almost seemed to cave in a bit and did not really get out all second half. Even after the goal, they only really had a few attacks and nothing too concerning. It seemed we would see it out and I did not think they were looking like levelling but then Hamer is injured and we cannot make the change (I was more annoyed at where the throw was taken) and the cross is not stopped or dealt with. The shot was decent but he should not have been allowed to turn and of course it gets deflected. I just thought that summed up the season but we did keep going and it became a bit basketball-y as both teams attacked. We had 2 VAR appeals (I have not seen either back but some suggest the second might have been given?) and after the second one was not given after a long delay, you felt that was that. However, we get another penalty appeal and this one was given. I can see arguments both ways and as it had not been given, it would not have been overturned in the same way they did not see enough to overturn it the other way. It was clever from Baldock as he got his body in a great position and a bit naïve from Silva to even attempt to get the ball. I still thought ‘bet they overturn it’ but they didn’t and Norwood really showed a lot of bottle to smash home.

Over the course of the game, Wolves dominated the first half and we did the same in the second half so maybe you could argue a draw was a fair result but for what we did and how determined we were and the efforts on goal/penalty appeals etc, we maybe just about shaded it in that sense so if anyone deserved to win, it was United you could argue. It was a great feeling when the ball went in and on full time. It was almost like we had forgotten what it felt like to win a game! To score with the last kick makes it even better.

I was just pleased we showed some determination and pride. I am not sure we played amazing football or looked that fluent, even when we did improve but what we did do was play with a tempo and really were determined not to just roll over and lose. It was like a switch at half time had been flicked and we finally felt like a Premier League side finally. McAtee did make a big difference but as I say the whole team just improved.

I am still not convinced this team is anywhere good enough to stay up and we still have a horrific injury list but hopefully we can get Ahmedhozic and McBurnie back after the break to help us. For now, though it is just nice to have a weekend where our football club has won and to leave the Lane feeling positive for the first time since last May. The short-term euphoria of a win at any level of football cannot underestimated so that is what we need to just hold onto for this week at least.

Ratings (I could actually give first half and second half marks but will try and average them out so they might be lower than perhaps some would give – as is over 90 mins).

Foderingham 6/10 – The least he has had to do all season really. Tipped one over first half and fielded another easy effort. His mark is as it is because his kicking was shocking all game and he rarely got to half way on many or would kick it out. He really struggles with this aspect of his game. On the goal, I will say at first I thought it was right in the top corner but it wasn’t and again he got his hand to it and it went in half way up. The deflection means I am not sure I will say ‘he should have saved it’ but I would expect a good keeper at this level to do better. Maybe I am being harsh again.

Bogle 7.5/10 – First half not in the game offensively and he sat off too as they attacked down both sides. He was not able to really get close to his man. Second half a completely different player. He got down the right time after time and looked like the Bogle of a few years ago. He was a constant threat with his runs and link up. They brought him down a few times and he was one of our main attackers. Really pleased to see him back on form and hopefully this will give him renewed confidence.

Thomas 6.5/10 – To start the game thought he was woeful again as they attacked at will down this side and he was not tight to his man or out of position. He just did not seem switched on and his lack of pace showed up too as they ran off him easily. He did put a tackle in just before half time and this seemed to galvanise him and he improved after the break. He was steadier in his work and defending and got tighter to his man. We attacked more down the right but he still was able to get higher up the field.

Baldock 7/10 – His enthusiasm, tackling and determination was a really welcome return. First half he was a bit silly and gave away a few cheap fouls and a daft booking too which meant he had to be careful and actually some refs might have given him a second for a clear trip later on. He made sure the Wolves players did not have the space they enjoyed first half and was able to win the loose stuff and helped us get up the field. Allowed Bogle to go forward more too. His reactions at the end summed up his passion and what it means to him.

Robinson 7.5/10 – Thought he continued his consistent form in the sense that even first half one of the few getting tighter and making tackles. He is the only player who probably had a ‘consistent’ game from start to finish. Put in tackles and blocks when he could. His desire to get to the ball and not lose his battle is something the others can learn a lot off (granted they all did that more second half)

Trusty 7/10 – He has been ok since he came in but he has sadly made some errors or been undone by quality (as seen at Arsenal). He is a decent athlete, ok in the air and no nonsense. He shows he is quite determined and will get his foot in when he can. Not great at using the ball though and can switch off and not mark (saw that at the end when he just lost Silva- the offside header – not sure he knew much about it being offside).

Souza 6.5/10 – Odd game. I thought he was really poor first half and slow to do things, stood off and just looked sluggish – like the rest. He did not seem to know who to pick up or where to go and we had a big gap between defence and attack. He made a few tackles but again not sure what his role was meant to be as the defence was exposed again. Second half he improved a lot and he got closer, won tackles and was much more determined. He even played a few forward passes. He got around the pitch more and seemed to find new energy. He does clearly care as his reaction on both their goal and our winner showed as he laid prostrate on the floor.

Norwood 6.5/10 – Like the above, he was too slow and laborious first half and not able to affect the game. His passing was poor and he tossed it away cheaply. We had nobody tackling or stopping the penetration at all. He got much better after the break in the sense his passing improved and he was able to get amongst the Wolves players more. I still think his set plays were not great but then despite things not hitting the mark again, he showed so much courage to take the late penalty knowing it was essentially a kick to keep his manager in a job perhaps. I was worried he would take the same kick he often does, which is a few feet off the ground to the keepers right and would be rather telegraphed but he took a beauty and it was unstoppable. He never shies away from the big moments or getting on the ball – no matter what I think of his passing and distribution which has been poor this season. Given him a mark or so higher for the penalty!

Hamer 6.5/10 – Like all the midfield (and team), just not really in the game first half and it sort of passed him by. He was unable to keep it when it came to him and he looked like he was struggling to know how to get involved as we defended. He too did not do enough to stop the Wolves players running through. Second half he was more the aggressor in terms of him getting on the ball, being busy and working much harder. He linked with others and had a few efforts on goal too. He suddenly became a good link between defence and attack and his work ethic went up. Did get injured and go off near the end – not sure if this is another serious one?

Brewster 3/10 – Don’t think there was much between him and Brewster first half in terms of how little they offered to the team albeit with no real service but they both needed to work much harder and move off the ball. Brewster was totally immobile. He hid behind his defender and then when he did touch it, he made poor decisions or it came off him. The effort he puts in is not good enough. He has to press/harry or close down but barely breaks into a job. He does not seem to get it. He runs into the wrong areas and just never looks a threat. The injury then came and of course we improved which is not a coincidence. He is never fit and when he plays looks way off the level required (he did at the Champ). He has had maybe 2 or 3 decent to ok games in 4 years. Sorry to be harsh but he has been a complete waste of money and I am not even sure he is Championship standard. We need to get him out on loan (if he is ever fit) as he is nowhere near good enough to be playing for a Premier League side. He might be a nice lad and enthusiastic but reality is when his contract is up at the end of the next season, he will move on a free and struggle to get a club much higher than lower Champ at best/League One.

Archer 7/10 – First half he was static, did not close down and not in the game. Him and Brewster had little service but were miles apart and not even harrying defenders when it did come down the field. Cheaply gave it away when he had it and looked a bit disinterested. After Brewster went off, he was more on his own but weirdly was not as we had McAtee, Bogle and others all around him and we suddenly looked an attacking threat. He looked much more determined and got on the ball and started to drive forward. One decent shot over and some other good link play and then a brilliant goal. He knew he had to get his shot away as defenders were getting back but what a hit. After this he worked hard and was still involved to the end – in the penalty.

Subs –

McAtee 8/10 – Huge difference maker. He got on the ball and ran at players. Showed quick feet, dribbled with it and got Wolves worried. Won a number of free kicks and looked our main threat and showed the form we saw last season. His control, touch and ability to go at players is something teams hate. He was very positive in everything he did. He has to show those standards every week though as he can be a big player for us if he is like that.

Osborn – With Hamer down he was readied to come on but after we conceded I would have put a more attacking threat on but he kept with the same change. Not sure he touched it much the time that he was on.

Manager: Heckingbottom 7.5/10 – A win and maybe one that saves his job. For now. The first half was wretched and it just seemed the same lacklustre display where we tossed the ball away and had no idea or intention of attacking really. His team talk had a big effect as we were a different side. We got higher up the field, we got on it, got amongst it and showed a totally different approach and desire. We had efforts and it was all high tempo. In the end this desire got us the win. Really pleased for Hecky as it must have been tough and as he said without the winner, he might have gone (said he may have not been standing there talking to the press after the game). It now gives him temporary salvation it would seem and although Brighton is tough next week, we then have Bournemouth and Luton and hopefully a chance to get another win or two.
Agree with almost all of it except heckingbottoms score, which I would put at 6.5, we were absolutely crying out for substitutions from the 75th minute to freshen the midfield up and none were forthcoming. The penalty very much got him out of jail for that

Without him scoring the pen I'd have been more a 4/10 but was such a big moment and he stood up huge here and does deserve credit. Do think we need to be moving away from him though and when McBurnie is fit he heeds to try Souza, Hamer and McAtee for a period even if it does leave us vulnerable defensively.
Souza and Hamer should be a given as a double pivot deeper lying CM partnership.

Allows McA to start as a consequence as he effectively replaces where Hamer has been playing, which is Hamers best position IMHO (rather like we shoehorned Sander into a more offensive position he was unaccustomed to !).

It’s harsh on Norwood as he’s been a terrific servant but, realistically, he should have been moved on in the summer along with countless others if we were to have a semi serious crack at this PL malarkey !!

Alas, no sugar daddy in S2 !!!

UTB

Agree with most of that DB. We've won at last. You can't over emphasise how important that is for confidence. Some of the marks are generous imo in view of how bad we were first half but its 3 points and the second half performance provides hope. Agree Mcatee was MOM he turned the game with his direct running. Baldock next because of the passion and aggression he brought onto the pitch, something sadly missing in his absence.

The second half has saved the manager for the moment. There are still two key issues imo hanging over his head that require addressing. The management of injuries and fitness conditioning needs an overhaul. Players were going down with cramp in one case after an hour. PH has said post match they hope Hamer's is cramp and not a hammy. Brewster started a game after picking up an injury in training forcing him to come off after 45 mins. I really hope the review of injuries isn't a whitewash, changes are recommended and PH and his Sports Science team take them on board.

We have the worst injury record in the division for the second season running. Why do we continually fail to make full use of 5 tactical substitutions. Only 2 made yesterday in 100 minutes both due to injury when players were struggling with cramp. Yes we dominated the second half but there was a 5 minute period leading up to their goal where they got back into the game. We should have made changes earlier, a continuing theme throughout PH's tenure. It would have been the main topic of conversation if it had stayed at 1-1. That along with his continuing obsession that Osborn is a EPL midfield player. Agree Slimane for Hamer was the sensible option to try and get back into the game.

PH deserved his moment in the spotlight post match with all that has been going off in the background.

The point about Hamers injury was that Jones had allowed their players to go down and have the physios on. Hamer had been down injured twice but was told to get up and go off the pitch if he wanted treatment. The counter argument is we should have made the substitution earlier and certainly when the ball went out for a throw in that led to their goal.

Have you watched the Hecky comments about not being there if the result had been different? He actually says it would be because he’d be in prison somewhere, presumably referencing that he’d have battered the ref or fourth official had we not got the pen

I thought you were a bit harsh on Hamer who made some good interceptions in the first half. I honestly don’t think the manager has got the best out of him yet. Or sure what his best position is yet ! Apart from that , another great report , thank you

Have you watched the Hecky comments about not being there if the result had been different? He actually says it would be because he’d be in prison somewhere, presumably referencing that he’d have battered the ref or fourth official had we not got the pen
Perhaps he said it to the players at half time? One reason for the big turn around?

Wolves – Bits I have seen of them this season they have looked decent and not a side you expect to be near the bottom of the league despite some fools (me!) predicting them to possibly go down this season due to the managerial changes and players they have lost. In truth when I have seen them they have been decent with some positive and fluent attacking player and been well organised. They have beat or run close a few really good teams. Today they looked much better than us first half and better final choices and they would have been a few goals up. They showed technically and the movement they have, that they are a level above us. However, they failed to score and then as we improved they did not get going at all after the break. They ended up defending like we had been and there was no real sense of how they could get up the field. They ended up stopping likes of McAtee and Bogle by illegal means and kind of were hanging on till Archer scored when they seemed to be way too high up the field. They did get back into it but had not really looked like coming but was a decent strike and at that stage after the 2nd half fadeout may have just took the point but ended up defending again and a few chances/appeals happened before the penalty. O’Neil did moan a lot about the penalty but he did concede they were not great after the break. I still think they will not be near the bottom three at the end of the season and have enough to be away from any trouble but showed that if United get amongst sides like them, they can get results and compete against such teams.

Opponent Man of the Match – Hwang was the main threat as he got down the sides and the middle. He faded after the break. Ditto for Cunha. The lad who came on and scored looked lively.

Opponent Weak link – Has to be Fabio Silva. Came on, got booked for leading with an arm and then gave the penalty away. It may have been soft but was a silly tackle to make. I am never convinced by Dawson who always looks clumsy to me and also cannot believe he is still only 33. Strangely he has played for West Ham, Watford, West Brom and now Wolves so surely will end his career at Walsall? I thought the big centre forward was not great and quite slow but did win a few headers.

Referee/Officials – I thought Jones was ok actually despite the criticism of both managers in and after the game. He tried to let it flow and only penalise obvious fouls (one dive from a Wolves player apart he did not see and guessed) and thought he was not particularly fussy. The VAR checks are obviously out of his control but I did not think they were penalties at the time and surprised they were even being checked? The moments of controversy were the late goals. Hamer went down but then got up so not sure the ref would wait – so not sure what Hecky’s point was? I was more annoyed that the throw in was taken nowhere near where it went out and caught us off the guard. The penalty I was surprised as at the time thought he went down easily and looked soft but seeing it back, there is some contact and it’s a daft challenge. Again, if it had been given against us sure a lot would say it was soft and might have similar feelings to O’Neil but not sure it was a scandalous decision as he makes out? It fell into the category of, ‘could be give/could be not’ but not sure it was a dreadful error and VAR agreed with that. I just thought it was a stupid tackle and of course the forward player will go down. Odd that he helped Wolves players up twice after they fell to the deck which did not endear himself to the United fans -not a good look.

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage – Really vocal and after the poor first half, we improved hugely and the crowd and the atmosphere went up. The swirling torrential rain lashed down and the team rolled up their sleeves and the crowd in turn responded. It was like the old days as the Kop tried to suck the ball in. The noise on the goals was something else and the reaction on full time really special. The crowd was down slightly but with the match day prices you can understand why the few who just go match by match would not necessarily choose Wolves in awful weather with us losing every week. Still those there got their rewards and like the last we played Wolves at this level scored with almost the last kick to win it.
Glad you’ve erased the 2-0 opening game defeat from your memory too!

Great write up.

Excellent report again but first time I’ve disagreed with many of your ratings! (I know you did put a caveat at the beginning). I’d be harsher on many of them and generous to a couple of others, probably like this:

Wes - 3 - abysmal kicking. Genuinely awful and could have easily cost us
Baldock - 8 - just raised the whole team with his running and enthusiasm. I love him.
Trusty - 6 - still not totally solid yet but has room to grow. Useless with the ball too!
Robinson - 8 - used to really annoy me he played for us, but he’s won me over. Team Robbo for me.
Thomas - 6.5 - agreed
Bogle - 6.5 - fine but feel you have hyped him a bit too much. He had a flew flashes but still doesn’t produce enough for me. Another I feel could improve but has poor output most of the time
Norwood - 6.5 - agreed
Souza - 4 - sorry not for me this guy. Even when 30,000 people scream man on he doesn’t seem to be aware. So so bad on the ball
Hamer - 7 - he is good. He’s one of those players where he sees things our other players don’t, which doesn’t make Hamer look as good as he is (terribly written sentence that). He has such good vision that those infront of him often don’t see the same thing but a better striker with better movement would love to play with Hamer
Brewster - oh dear
Archer - 8 - he’s actually very good this lad. If he’ll we can find him a decent partner he’ll take off, that goal felt very Ndiaye-esque

Mcatee - 8 - agreed. Quality and MOM
Osborn - seems like a great bloke

Norwood.

UTB
Sorry but this comment makes every other comment you will ever make on this board till you die completely and utterly irrelevant WANKER

Good report as ever Deadbat. I do actually think that although still not great there was more effort in the first half.

The McAtee substitution changed the game. We came out a different team in second half. I was shocked/surprised when Archer had the shot in first minute. Thankfully we kept up the momentum. Great to see Bogle back to something like his best. I also thought Thomas had his best game for us.

Given that we won I'm not going to moan about the lack of substitutions. Endings like that are why we love football and hopefully it gives confidence to kick on. Only 8 points now to beat Derby's record.

Sorry for the delay - at a black tie event last night straight after the game and it went on late.....

Finally at the eleventh time of asking, United fans could celebrate that winning feeling after late drama at a rain sodden Bramall Lane on Saturday afternoon. The Blades showed real fighting spirit and desire to get the three points and the scenes on full time showed what it meant to everybody inside the ground. The first half performance had been poor with yet another lifeless display with no attacking intent. Wolves should have been in front but United went in level and it was a totally different game in the 2nd half as the home side dominated for long spells. Substitute McAtee made a real difference and it was from his ricochet that Cameron Archer was able to give United a lead with a fantastic long-range effort that cannoned in of the underside of the bar. Wolves did not really threaten a response at all and United continued to fight hard but it was late heartbreak seemingly when Bellegarde curled a shot into the top corner in the 89th minute. United kept going and after having two VAR checks not given for handball, referee Robert Jones pointed to the spot in the 99th minute for a foul by Fabio Silva on George Baldock. After another check, this time it went in the Blades favour and Norwood with essentially the last kick of the game smashed the ball home to send the crowd jubilant.

In a miserable afternoon in terms of the weather, United changed their side again as Baldock and Archer were back in the side with Slimane and McAtee on the bench. It seemed Baldock would set up as the wide right centre back in a more familiar formation after it had been tweaked in recent games. Wolves have had a mixed start to the season but new manager Gary O’Neil has been getting plaudits for how he has been setting them up. Star man Pedro Neto was out injured so former Blade Tommy Doyle started for the all gold for his full league debut.

Wolves settled the better in the tricky conditions but were moving it around crisply and looking the more dangerous. Semedo worked an opening and his effort was not far over. Hwang and Cunha were showing quick feet and positive play when in possession. The imposing Kalajdzic was proving an awkward customer up front and linking with teammates to ensure Wolves remained up the field. In contrast the rather static Brewster and Archer were not able to offer a semblance of threat. Semedo fired over after Wolves came forward at pace.

Baldock’s over zealous play saw him cautioned after two challenges in quick succession. Hwang was proving an issue as he moved around the frontline and Thomas was struggling to deal with the threats coming at him with Cunha’s running down the right a feature of the opening stages. Trusty lost out in a duel and Wolves were away but Robinson got in the interception.

Soon after Cunha had an effort as he came inside that Foderingham had to tip over and it was al Wolves at this stage. Hwang then was able to easily get behind the defence after Jones played the advantage but his cross come shot came at Ait-Nouri too quickly and he made a mess of a really good chance with men over too. Cunha then fed Semedo but the ball was miskicked with another good chance going begging.

United had not offered anything from an attacking sense at all and were struggling to keep any possession yet alone mount any sustained raids on the Wolves defence. Brewster’s afternoon was over when he picked up a knock just before half time and had to hobble off with McAtee coming on. It was another tough break for the striker who had struggled to show any kind of fitness or form in his three-year spell at the Lane.

Wolves had dominated and missed some good opportunities but Foderingham only had one save to make despite their advantage in territory and attacking intent. United had not mustered any kind of opportunity at all.

United came out second half and seemed more determined in their approach. They were playing noticeable higher up the field and Archer was looking livelier with McAtee a good source of support. Archer was able to get his shot away but curled just over before Dawson clumsily brought down McAtee earning a yellow card. McAtee’s effort was curled over.

Bogle was now well forward and Hamer also was working hard to get on the ball and he had an effort over the bar. There was a much more concerted effort from the whole team to get the Blades moving forward and play more positive football. It was a really sustained spell of pressure with several corners won in quick succession. Norwood hit a shot a long way over as he tried to find the top corner. Bellegarde came on for Kalajdzic as Wolves tried to find a response but their second half fadeout was probably somewhat alarming for manager Gary O’Neil. A VAR check for a handball surprised everyone in the crowd but it was quickly waved away before the United corner.

Bogle’s attacking thrust gave United a new dimension they had not seen all season and he was baulked by Doyle seeing him go into the book. The free kick was cleared but the pressure remained on as United finally were controlling a Premier League game for maybe the first time this season? Doyle got a good ovation as he came off for Traore.

On 72 minutes the Blades took the lead. It came from a fortunate deflection as the ball came off McAtee and rebounded forward and with Wolves defensive line almost on half way, ARCHER was able to run on. He had a long way to go and defenders were quickly in pursuit but the striker opted to take the shot early and smashed a beauty in off the bar and down over the line giving

After the goal United continued to win the challenges and were out fighting their opponents. Wolves made another change with Fabio Silva on for Toti but his first contribution was to clumsily elbow Baldock and go a yellow card. United continued to work hard and Wolves were not really threatening at this stage with Lemina’s effort at Foderingham the first shot they had all half and was easy for the keeper.

The game drifted into the final minute and Hamer seemed to be struggling and went down but the game was allowed to play on after Trusty kicked it out and the change was not allowed. The throw in was taken a long way from where it should have been and United were left sleeping as Traore’s cross fell for BELLEGARDE who took a touch and turned and no challenge was incoming. The Frenchman hit a curling effort that took a slight deflection and nestled into the corner.

There was to be 6 minutes of stoppage time played but there were a number of additional stoppages within including more checks for decisions and delays to the ball coming back in play.

Osborn came on for Hamer but Wolves now sensed they could win it and Silva headed wide but was ruled offside but United kept plugging away and had another appeal for a penalty when a shot was ruled that Dawson did not use his hand in an illegal manner after a lengthy check. A final attack was launched and McAtee’s cross was blocked with the referee judging it to go off the Wolves man and a late corner resulted. The ball came over and after it was not cleared it bounced off Archer and then Baldock got his body across and Silva clumsily tried to make an interception. Jones had no doubt and gave the penalty instantly. There was a lengthy check but there was not enough to overturn it.

After the delay where Souza was stood on the spot with the ball and stopping any Wolves player from scuffing the spot, NORWOOD took responsibility and absolutely leathered the ball into the net, once again off the underside of the bar. The skipper slid to his knees in the corner and was quickly joined by his ecstatic teammates amid wild scenes. The game was restarted, now in the 100th minute, but the referee blew for time almost instantly. As Status Quo emanated from the PA for the first time this season, the players saluted the crowd with the relief and delight clear in equal measures. United’s second half turnaround was remarkable and led to the first league win and new hope restored for the weeks to come and a massive moment for manager Paul Heckingbottom whose job was in some question.

Great report. And I totes agree that there was very little between Brewster and Brewster in terms of performance in the first 45 minutes.

many thanks, one of the posts that I always look forward to

Great report. And I totes agree that there was very little between Brewster and Brewster in terms of performance in the first 45 minutes.

Got to disagree. I think Brewster was slightly better than Brewster.

Meant Brewster and Archer of course

Norwood.

UTB
I love Norwood and think he gets undue stick sometimes, but God, he is slow. At one point in the second half he lost the ball to a Wolves midfielder and his attempt to sprint after him made me check for the bungee rope attached to his waist that must have been holding him back.

That lack of genuine pace in the side is one of the stark differences to other sides. They seem to have giant grocks who should be slow but seem to have speed to burn.

I love Norwood and think he gets undue stick sometimes, but God, he is slow. At one point in the second half he lost the ball to a Wolves midfielder and his attempt to sprint after him made me check for the bungee rope attached to his waist that must have been holding him back.

That lack of genuine pace in the side is one of the stark differences to other sides. They seem to have giant grocks who should be slow but seem to have speed to burn.
Thanks for being level headed enough to comment without resorting to abuse.

A few just can’t help themselves !

UTB

it’s all about opinions isn’t it? Also, my opinion often flies in the face of everyone else’s by such a degree I do doubt whether I understand the game at all. Strike that, I know I don’t really understand the game.
For example, I don’t think Max Lowe is shite, and everyone else does!

Back
Top Bottom