Where has our fans passion gone?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I have to agree with this in the OP I wasn't just talking about this season the noise levels pre game has been declining year on year for a good while now until what we have now at the lane is football in a library. The club has done very little in the last ten years to get the crowd noise levels up I think the last time we saw the big flags passed around the crowd was maybe before kick off at the 2014 semi final at Wembley even small flags are discouraged at the lane unless it is the last home game before being promoted. Their was a time when you had to scream in your mate ear to be heard today you can have a conversation without hardly raising your voice in the middle of the kop. The pre match atmosphere was better last week in the Dog and Duck in Lanzarote which made for a brilliant Saturdays entertainment. It might be me getting old but I'm not getting that buzz any more not just this season I wasn't last season either and we were walking the division along with Burnley. I think I have got to the stage where I can take it or leave it with football and doubt I'd go if I didn't have the season ticket, it has become a chore not entertainment. We might moan about the Palace ans Arsenal flag wavers but at least they are trying something to drum up support for their teams our crowd is like cardboard cut outs just waiting to moan when it goes wrong.
was atmosphere really that good back in the day. or are we just remembering the good games

The passion was built up in the warnock era same the massive boost in crowds.
We were underdogs in alot of games. We beat Leeds Liverpool etc all dominant in the prem in cups.
We had no fear and competed.
We knew everyweek that regardless we wud put effort in. His words after we sold Marcus bent was put the money in an academy and today that bares fruits.
This club do not know how loyal the fans are with 100 years no major trophy . A club that ban flags, standing anything to create an atmosphere.
When we had h-block and West terrace the place was beyond amazing. Now you can't sneeze with out stewards coppers asking you to sit down

was atmosphere really that good back in the day. or are we just remembering the good games
Yes it was so much better. 20 year ago just after Warnock became manager we were playing in front of 15,000 or less, the team was shit but at least they never knew when they were beaten, the crowd got behind the team win or lose. I dare say the football was much better and more exciting as a certain degree of physical contact was allowed in the game. The game has gone to shit this tippy tappy play out from the back and fall on your arse if a defender goes near an attacker means the game has become virtually non contact like basketball and we all know how shit a game that is. Today's fans feel embarrassed with the dirty looks they get from those around them if they forget themselves and call an opposition player a dirty bastard or some other insult. I have always said if you take kids or women to games they should expect to hear industrial language, it never hurt us as kids we were taught when it was appropriate to swear and when it wasn't.

The atmosphere in G and H block on the South Stand was amazing and intimidating in equal measure. But the moment a complete cretin decided to fire a flare into the Wednesday fans during a derby match, it was game over.

The passion was built up in the warnock era same the massive boost in crowds.
We were underdogs in alot of games. We beat Leeds Liverpool etc all dominant in the prem in cups.
We had no fear and competed.
We knew everyweek that regardless we wud put effort in. His words after we sold Marcus bent was put the money in an academy and today that bares fruits.
This club do not know how loyal the fans are with 100 years no major trophy . A club that ban flags, standing anything to create an atmosphere.
When we had h-block and West terrace the place was beyond amazing. Now you can't sneeze with out stewards coppers asking you to sit down
I don't know where you sit/stand. I'm on the kop, near the top of gangway D. There are no coppers, haven't been for a very long time, and the stewards very rarely intervene in anything, positively or negatively. We stand all match, every match, which to be honest is a pain for my knackered 65 year old knees!
It's true, the atmosphere isn't what it was, this may be about times changing rather than us being shite. You are allowed to swear and shout (I know, I do it), but to be honest this season the shouting and swearing is most often directed at the ref/VAR, or at the utter fannying about of our own players as they fuck up yet again (with a few honourable exceptions).
There is very little happening on the pitch to create any passion for the fans, so we are where we are. Knowing that the players are collecting vast wads of cash for doing what appears to be very little, at a time when shitloads of people are really struggling, probably doesn't help either. This isn't just a Blades thing, but the massive disconnect between players and fans in terms of money and lifestyle may be a factor behind people not being arsed to make a racket anymore.

Ever want passion go to the rooster pub in Birmingham near St Andrews before a game. I've never seen anything like it. The whole day begins with the passion in there.
Ska music, reggie the lot the whole place full of brummies well before kick off and it sets up for a brilliant day .
A workmate has took me in several times and the place at lunchtime is heaving like a nightclub .
Birmingham fans are the loudest I've ever known and so passionate. Pity no boozer near the lane has the sort of atmosphere witnessed in the rooster.

The passion has gone out of the window along with the owners passion .Most Blades not all, are realistic and most knew before the first game of the season that it would be an almighty task to keep in this league . Our false start at the beginning did not help along with parting waves with our main assets did not help matters either . The none showing of the owner seems to suggest he feels the same way to . Just hope the Prem money is being used to putting the club on a better financial footing ,if that is the case this season will not have been a complete disaster .Time will tell .

I was at a game at Aberdeen recently. So I was following them on Social Media. And, I've just seen a recent Tweet. To improve/consolidate the atmosphere at Pittodrie, they have decided to switch the Red Shed from sit where you like unallocated to sit in your seat allocated. That's sort of the opposite of received wisdom.

Amongst other things, that means they'll be allowed to get more people in by the relevant authorities. imho they have neatly got around not being able to say - if you want to stand, buy in this block. They have used the phrase Active Area. (Incidentally, that phrase used widely in Australian Football when selling tickets).

And, to get a seat in the main Active Area, you have to go through the Aberdeen Ultras rather than the Club itself.

Another example of a Club taking steps to promote a lively, boisterous atmosphere.

Funnily enough the quality football being served up effects the atmosphere. We played safe, tight football under Clough and got results, but the atmosphere was mainly dull as the football was boring. It was only the emergence of Jamie Murphy being a right player, the first coming of Brayford and Che Adams that got fans off their seats.

Under Warnock it was often 50/50. When we got the ball down and played the crowd were great, same in the cups as you knew he'd have a go at them and we had the fighting underdog mentality on and off the pitch. The crowd fuelled this in matches. When we started lumping it to the big guy up top the crowd got frustrated and the atmosphere became negative with the good old "gerrit darn" heard around the stands.

Under Wilder until the relegation season we'd never had it so good. Sexy attacking football, fearing no one, entering every game with a winning mentality. Bramall Lane was buzzing and a place other teams hated coming to.

Roll onto last season and Bramall Lane was often stifled, despite being the home of a promotion seeking team. The football was boring and uninspirational with occasional patches of prolonged quality. Ndiaye was the only thing worth cheering until McAtee came alive in the last couple of months. The atmosphere very much matched the football we watched and it was often a case of we only sing when we're winning.

This season I'm amazed there's any noise at all given how poor the summer was, pre-season losses with poor performances (a stark warning in hindsight), and we're an embarassment to the Premier League, English football and to ourselves.

It's the team's job to raise the crowd and get them going by playing well, it shouldn't be our job to motivate then first.

Last edited:

Once the seats went in it changed at every club, not just ours..

The seats separated like minded fans / mates from sitting together, killing the atmosphere instantly..

My mates I stood with, couldn't all afford to block book together, most used to go when they had the money and if not you wouldn't go, season tickets were for the well off..

Mixing the noisy ones with the quiet ones, you feel an idiot standing up chanting, I got told to sit daahn and shut up that first season...

Now the back of the kop is the only place to be for any atmosphere, a hell of a lot up there not in thier correct seats though, hence the standing all game..

* this season excluded..

Looking at games in the Premier league before and as the teams come onto the field we see flags and scarfs being waved about or in some cases the whole stands holding up cards to make the club crest, plenty of noise and chanting going on yet at Bramall lane we have nothing apart from a cue to sing the greasy chip butty song from Gary Sinclair. I know we are having a terrible season but this has been the case for a number of years now. In the past the lane was rocking pre kick off huge flags being passed around the kop hundreds of red and white balloons constant chants up until kick off the place was a cauldron which must have scared the shit out of opposition teams. If we were playing the pigs or Leeds/ Forest the lane would be a bear pit that would make the hairs on your arms and neck stand up. Where has it all gone never mind someone waving a flag you hardly see a scarf held up to add a bit of colour to the home stands. Songs we might get a desultory "United" chant in response to the first song from the away end and that's it. The pre match atmosphere is absolutely flat away teams no longer have to quieten the home fans it has already been done for them the only time our fans make a noise is when the ref gives a dodgy free kick to the away team. Results aside I'm no longer getting much enjoyment going to the lane it is so flat and sterile at least last season Ndiaye was worth the admission fee alone, nothing to see at the lane any more so dull and boring even before a ball is kicked.
Same place where the players passion has gone!

Two things needed for a good atmosphere at the lane, united being underdogs and united competing on the pitch.

There were seasons under warnock where the atmosphere wasn't that much difference to now (except the ground being half empty by halftime)

The atmosphere can be great if there is something to inspire it. Blackburn cup game last season was fantastic - full away end foolishly celebrating prematurely, coming from behind twice, last minute screamer. The most I have enjoyed a game for a while, that.

The passion is still there; it just needs to be kick-started a little. A goal helps, but we don't score often enough. A strong tackle taking the ball and man also helps but this is no longer tolerated in the top flight.

Maybe we need a band? 🥁🎺🎷

I feel there's a lot of excuses on this thread. I go to games at lots of levels, in lots of places. It looks fairly simple to me. A group of people, who have decided to make a constant noise in support of their team.

I know you get shot down - we don't want any of that at The Lane, etc.

But, for example, the Aberdeen fans, in a long winless streak, just sang constantly for the first 45. Because they'd decided that's what they were going to do.

In many football cultures there is no particular link between on field performance and crowd noise. Indeed, it's a badge of honour to just keep the noise up irrespective of what's going on.

I get people saying we should make atmosphere regardless of the score. But I think it needs to be stressed that this isn’t any bad team.

I’ve seen United fans get behind bad teams that were expected to lose plenty of times. But this team is shocking. The stats on how many times we’ve been by 5 goals or more speak for themselves.

Plus it’s not like they’re battling then collapsing at the end. The Arsenal and Newcastle games were over well before half time. It’s not just losing, it’s getting humiliated.

What does surprise me is the lack of anger. Maybe that’s a good thing to be honest because I feel for most of these players and I don’t think they deserve abuse for simply not being good enough.

I do think it’s a bit more than our fans giving up because we’re losing though. It’s the nature of the losing and the complete hopelessness.

I get people saying we should make atmosphere regardless of the score. But I think it needs to be stressed that this isn’t any bad team.

I’ve seen United fans get behind bad teams that were expected to lose plenty of times. But this team is shocking. The stats on how many times we’ve been by 5 goals or more speak for themselves.

Plus it’s not like they’re battling then collapsing at the end. The Arsenal and Newcastle games were over well before half time. It’s not just losing, it’s getting humiliated.

What does surprise me is the lack of anger. Maybe that’s a good thing to be honest because I feel for most of these players and I don’t think they deserve abuse for simply not being good enough.

I do think it’s a bit more than our fans giving up because we’re losing though. It’s the nature of the losing and the complete hopelessness.
These dreadful results remind me of one of the proudest moments as a blade, a 1- 5 home defeat to Blackpool in 77. Kop roaring the team on despite being hammered by a top top Blackpool team in Div2. Stays with me as despite the loss, the crowd singing at such a time was so impressive.
It strikes me that a fanbase that stands with its team during such shocking results is a huge asset. For the major investor we all craves to be attracted to us, staying loyal to the team despite some horrific performances is something that will be a huge asset and might attract that elusive billionaire to invest.

Ever want passion go to the rooster pub in Birmingham near St Andrews before a game. I've never seen anything like it. The whole day begins with the passion in there.
Ska music, reggie the lot the whole place full of brummies well before kick off and it sets up for a brilliant day .
A workmate has took me in several times and the place at lunchtime is heaving like a nightclub .
Birmingham fans are the loudest I've ever known and so passionate. Pity no boozer near the lane has the sort of atmosphere witnessed in the rooster.
Well, it seems the Blues leave all their atmosphere in the aforementioned Rooster.

I feel there's a lot of excuses on this thread. I go to games at lots of levels, in lots of places. It looks fairly simple to me. A group of people, who have decided to make a constant noise in support of their team.

But, for example, the Aberdeen fans, in a long winless streak, just sang constantly for the first 45. Because they'd decided that's what they were going to do.

In many football cultures there is no particular link between on field performance and crowd noise. Indeed, it's a badge of honour to just keep the noise up irrespective of what's going on.

Nail on the head, but also adds to an argument that whilst things could be done to promote and encourage like the Aberdeen change you mentioned, it's ultimately not actually a huge blockage to someone making noise if they want to enough.

I'm 100% guilty of wanting there to be atmosphere but doing nothing about it. I think that covers most of us

If this has been covered on elsewhere in this thread, apologies but I haven't scrolled through this thread.

Watching United seem so out of their depth, week in week out, has been demoralising. Each week is affirmation of how underprepared we've been, how poorly our recruitment has been, and how little effort will have gone into identifying new recruits capable of performing at this level.

Why anyone is surprised by what's happened is beyond me.

The way I look at it, a reaction is earned. If I watch a comedian and I don’t find them funny, I don’t just laugh anyway, like a maniac. Mind you, I don’t keep going back and watching Russell Howard (to pick an entirely random example) expecting him to get any funnier.

Looking at games in the Premier league before and as the teams come onto the field we see flags and scarfs being waved about or in some cases the whole stands holding up cards to make the club crest, plenty of noise and chanting going on yet at Bramall lane we have nothing apart from a cue to sing the greasy chip butty song from Gary Sinclair. I know we are having a terrible season but this has been the case for a number of years now. In the past the lane was rocking pre kick off huge flags being passed around the kop hundreds of red and white balloons constant chants up until kick off the place was a cauldron which must have scared the shit out of opposition teams. If we were playing the pigs or Leeds/ Forest the lane would be a bear pit that would make the hairs on your arms and neck stand up. Where has it all gone never mind someone waving a flag you hardly see a scarf held up to add a bit of colour to the home stands. Songs we might get a desultory "United" chant in response to the first song from the away end and that's it. The pre match atmosphere is absolutely flat away teams no longer have to quieten the home fans it has already been done for them the only time our fans make a noise is when the ref gives a dodgy free kick to the away team. Results aside I'm no longer getting much enjoyment going to the lane it is so flat and sterile at least last season Ndiaye was worth the admission fee alone, nothing to see at the lane any more so dull and boring even before a ball is kicked.
Since Wilder left atmosphere been horrific. Covid killed us as a fan base too.

Atmosphere is terrible though was bad last year too.

Why is it always a drum though? Can't we do something different, a xylophone or a ukulele perhaps?
The ukulele thing sounds great. So with apologies to George Formby, here’s a song from Grbic…..

I’m leaning on a goalpost as another team mug us off, watching another goal go by.

Oh me, oh my, another fucking goal goes by….

The way I look at it, a reaction is earned. If I watch a comedian and I don’t find them funny, I don’t just laugh anyway, like a maniac. Mind you, I don’t keep going back and watching Russell Howard (to pick an entirely random example) expecting him to get any funnier.
Of course. But that's my point. This "reactive" view of supporting a team is only one definition of support. There are many fans worldwide who take a more proactive view. Those fanbases who have chosen a more proactive approach create the best atmospheres.

The ukulele thing sounds great. So with apologies to George Formby, here’s a song from Grbic…..

I’m leaning on a goalpost as another team mug us off, watching another goal go by.

Oh me, oh my, another fucking goal goes by….

Now we're talking...!

If I'm reading you right Chimpan-A , you're saying we should wait to see how the team are playing, or maybe the first goal, before we sing Greasy Chip Butty !!!

I know results have been to say the least humiliating this season and that has an effect but last season was little better and we held a top two spot all season, where was the raucous atmosphere then? The place is like a morgue before a ball has been kicked and has been since Covid. I remember the lane when the noise levels would steadily increase from 2 o'clock until the teams came out. When the teams came out the kop would be a sea of red n white, not any more, Garyoke tries his best bless him but does cranking the PA to painful decibel levels and recorded crowd noise really do anything to rouse the crowd? That video and fake crowd noise make me cringe just as much as when he would play fucking Tom Hark, don't get me started on the Greasy chip butty intro for the fans to join in with the most uninspiring club anthem in the world of football.
Take a look at MOTD if you can bear to watch it any more most stadiums are a sea of colour when the teams come out Newcastle, Liverpool, Palace and others they all show the world they are behind the home team waving flags and holding up scarves, we get a polite round of applause and the dull Greasy chip butty song. What Aberdeen is doing is great at least they are trying something different to get the crowd behind the team. I have never known it to be so flat pre kick off at the lane when Unitedites should be making themselves heard. After kick off then it is down to what the players do on the pitch but pre kick off at the lane can't be very inspiring for them.

Back
Top Bottom