Where has our fans passion gone?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Unreserved seating can do a lot.

I went to a Donny Rovers game earlier this season and they had 6,000 fans rattling around a 15k capacity stadium but the atmosphere was decent (arguably better than some at the Lane recently) because the stand behind one goal has no seat numbers on the tickets, so all their hardcore support who want to sing can stand together up the back - along with a bloke with a bass drum, which whatever your thoughts on that certainly makes a small crowd sound louder.
Areas of unreserved seating will make a huge difference. This is what a lot of clubs have done to encourage atmosphere at grounds in all seater stadiums. It works.

I really don't think there's some deep rooted problem as to why the atmosphere is poor. It's because we have reserved seating and like minded people can't congregate together (as we used to do at the back of the kop when it was standing). This is why the atmosphere was so good in the noughties because G and H blocks on the South Stand were unreserved. Most of the atmosphere at games was generated there and it spread around the ground.

The problem is the powers that be around here hate anything like this.

Also, when the kop became all seater the atmosphere was still good for a number of years. I think this is because the vocal groups that used to congregate together when it was standing bought season tickets in similar areas.

Areas of unreserved seating will make a huge difference. This is what a lot of clubs have done to encourage atmosphere at grounds in all seater stadiums. It works.
A stumbling block with that is that in unreserved seating areas the capacity is reduced by ~10%. Reserved seating allows you to sell at full capacity. One of the results of Luton switching their Oak Road stand to safe standing in the last few weeks is that it is going to mean an increase in that stand’s capacity as they switch from unreserved seating in those blocks.

To sell all tickets in an unreserved seating area, you’d have to employ ushers to find seats for people. Human nature would usually mean single seats would be marooned between different groups.

A permanently flat, stagnant atmosphere suits the club just fine. All they're interested in is minimal hassle, and having an easy life. That they even ban small flags speaks volumes. If we're waiting for their help with anything, we'll be waiting a long time. But if we're reliant on the fans doing anything independently, we'll be waiting even longer

Can't hear yourself think with the loud music between 2.45 and 3pm. Back in the day we'd generate our own songs. Hate it with a passion. People drinking Costa till 2.59 in the walkways. In the eighties we were all singing on the Kop at 2.30pm. Football's gone. I still go but it's boring now. Stagnant insipid crap. Happy Thursday

Can't hear yourself think with the loud music between 2.45 and 3pm. Back in the day we'd generate our own songs. Hate it with a passion. People drinking Costa till 2.59 in the walkways. In the eighties we were all singing on the Kop at 2.30pm. Football's gone. I still go but it's boring now. Stagnant insipid crap. Happy Thursday
People checking pigs score every 5 mins and checking there bets all game🤦‍♂️

A big chunk of the SUFC songbook disappeared in the space of a few weeks before the season kicked off. Sander, Jack and Billy all had songs…Illiman had two ffs. Even Hecky and Stuart McCall had their own bloody song.
All in all it’s seems we are seriously lacking a budding Lennon and McCartney on t’kop

A big chunk of the SUFC songbook disappeared in the space of a few weeks before the season kicked off. Sander, Jack and Billy all had songs…Illiman had two ffs. Even Hecky and Stuart McCall had their own bloody song.
All in all it’s seems we are seriously lacking a budding Lennon and McCartney on t’kop

We could have the entirety of your top ten songwriters of all time at the back of the Kop, doesn't make a difference if they're waiting for the team to give them permission to perform their repertoire

For me , followed this club since early 70s . I loved it with all my heart . 32 years not missing a home game .
I no longer give a swizz. Let the new lot take over))) they didn't know Shred dodger. Iron bar jack booth etc.
I'm now 100% non league , proper price. Proper treatment proper people.
We may be shit but we are a selling club bit mostly we do not tell the truth to the 30k home fans .

They'd get chucked out and banned for disturbing the peace. Our own fans would be the first to report them

Can somebody please point out what we're supposed to chant and sing about?
The fact that we've shipped 15 goals in the last 3 games, should explain exactly where the atmosphere has gone.
We arrive in good spirits, but its like being punched in the stomach over and over.
I'm not sure who to blame for it eather, is it the Prince for being a shite owner?
Is it Wilder for not having the ability to manage these players?
Is it the players, have they just given up??
Is it Heckys fault, for allowing us to get into this state due to his recruitment??
Do we blame the refs or VAR??
I think we all accept that we're down, I don't think any of us expected us to storm the league this season did we?...., but what we do expect is the players to play for the shirt, and currently, they just aren't, and having 1 good performance in every 6 games just doesn't cut it, not in this league, not at this club!
If the players want atmosphere, they are the catalyst for it!
I honestly don't care if we lose every game until we go down, that doesn't bother me, it's not my preference, but I don't mind, aslong as the players try, and make a go of it, not just rolling over week in, week out, which is totally unacceptable.
I know we were a man down v Brighton, but we weren't 2 weeks ago, and both games we had 5 put past us!! 5! That's unacceptable!
The club needs a total overhaul, weve had a good run, weve had success, weve enjoyed the ride, but, its over!
We need new owners, new investment, new players and new ideas.
So, what can we do..........?
We turn up, we get behind the players, we sing the chip butty, and the whistle blows.........now its over to the players......give us something to sing about, give us something to cheer for, give us what we pay for, and we WILL give you an atmosphere, carry on dropping your heads, you'll lose more than just games, you will lose the fans!
This is a good reason now. But when we were going up in an auto spot this last time, it wasn't ripping the roof off. Far from it.

We could have the entirety of your top ten songwriters of all time at the back of the Kop, doesn't make a difference if they're waiting for the team to give them permission to perform their repertoire
Yes I agreed, I’ve always thought the atmosphere at Bramall Lane has always been a reciprocal one, governed mainly by what happens on the pitch, and to be honest…that’s how I like it. The highly choreographed things you see other football stadiums always seemed a bit naff to me.
But, we probably do need a few more songs, for when the very rare occasion arises.

This is a good reason now. But when we were going up in an auto spot this last time, it wasn't ripping the roof off. Far from it.
It has been a long time since its been week in week out noise, and it can be done, but what is there to be enthusiastic about???
Were always quite vocal away, after plenty of beers and a warm up, but at home we're flat, there's the chants that start where we are on the south, some from the kop, but nobody ever picks up on them and they fizzle.

The players are the catalyst, if they try they get the fans, if they don't, "oh oh oh, football in a library"!

It has been a long time since its been week in week out noise, and it can be done, but what is there to be enthusiastic about???
Were always quite vocal away, after plenty of beers and a warm up, but at home we're flat, there's the chants that start where we are on the south, some from the kop, but nobody ever picks up on them and they fizzle.

The players are the catalyst, if they try they get the fans, if they don't, "oh oh oh, football in a library"!
Doesn't explain it during promotion season.

Doesn't explain it during promotion season.
It doesn't explain anything, it's my view of why, if your so knowledgeable, you tell us why its gone??
You seem to have an opinion on everyone's opinions, just tell us the answer!.

It doesn't explain anything, it's my view of why, if your so knowledgeable, you tell us why its gone??
You seem to have an opinion on everyone's opinions, just tell us the answer!.
I'm not pretending to know the answers. That doesn't mean I should say you're right about it.
I agree it is better away than at home. But at home atmosphere has steadily declined.
Obviously situation we are in now, you'd expect it. But it had dropped prior to that.
In the past it has been better in lower leagues, so we can't say it's because we aren't flying high.
I think it has dropped in other places too. Part of it is people becoming expectant of being handed entertainment on a plate. We have a good number eof people high on deludamol as well unfortunately. But overall, I don't know. I sing and shout, but even around us on the kop, we'd be in a minority for it a lot of the time.

I'm not pretending to know the answers. That doesn't mean I should say you're right about it.
I agree it is better away than at home. But at home atmosphere has steadily declined.
Obviously situation we are in now, you'd expect it. But it had dropped prior to that.
In the past it has been better in lower leagues, so we can't say it's because we aren't flying high.
I think it has dropped in other places too. Part of it is people becoming expectant of being handed entertainment on a plate. We have a good number eof people high on deludamol as well unfortunately. But overall, I don't know. I sing and shout, but even around us on the kop, we'd be in a minority for it a lot of the time.
I don't expect you to agree with me, it's my personal opinion.
I don't there's an answer eather.
This season has seen a lot of "league supporters" at the Lane in my opinion, there's a lot of, what we're empty seats, now taken by single, quiet supporters, and having groups singing doesn't create atmosphere, we need whole sections or the ground as a whole to contribute, we also need the songs, which we don't have, or don't sing?

How excited can you get when we all know what’s coming next…There is absolutely no joy or jeopardy involved in the watching our beloved team being ritually bummed in front of our very eyes. Not only that, this utter humiliation is being played out across the fucking globe…It sorta takes the edge off thing’s somewhat?

Hi Stegosaurus here

I have said it all along, our songs just aren't very good. Other teams have some sort of memorable chant or cheer that goes on for ages. We have a half-arsed Greasy Chip Buffet--and the team needs to play it through the speakers so we remember the words and then a song about Wednesday beating us on boxing day like 40 years ago and one about Jack Charlton being dead before he actually died for some reason.

Hi Stegosaurus here

I have said it all along, our songs just aren't very good. Other teams have some sort of memorable chant or cheer that goes on for ages. We have a half-arsed Greasy Chip Buffet--and the team needs to play it through the speakers so we remember the words and then a song about Wednesday beating us on boxing day like 40 years ago and one about Jack Charlton being dead before he actually died for some reason.
Are you Stegosaurus here..?...oooh I thought you were there..good to know it's here not there .

as was saying on shoutbox. the premier league is now far beyond most peoples reaches. & when i look at top 9 this season in the championship. Ipswich Hull WBA Norwich Preston Coventry. & maybe 3 relegated teams as well. as amazing promotion is for enjoyment sakes its best they dont go up

because your going to have the odd good day but for the majority its just getting battered every week. just look at Norwich, West Brom, Leeds, Burnley, Cardiff Watford & us twice. you need an owner that can afford to lose 30m a yr. otherwise you cant compete that what fulham & forest have done. Brentford for all there clever signings would they have gone straight down if toney wasnt there at the beginning

Hi Stegosaurus here

Yeah like when you sing high ho silver lining. So original. And don't get me started on the pointing song.

Yeah like when you sing high ho silver lining. So original. And don't get me started on the pointing song.

Wednesday haven't had one original song since the 80s at least. Their ground is like a morgue and has been since they got relegated from the Prem and Auntie Flo and Uncle Judd stopped going (and there were more empty blue seats than people). Back in the day they used to throw cushions on the pitch when they were unhappy rather than sing.Nowt has changed as you can see with the hilarious failure to oppose Chansiri

The boxing day song is a song of vengeance. They're that thick they copied a United song of vengeance and then sung the song of vengeance about a game they won. You couldn't make it up.

The most popular song they stole is forever associated with this btw. Rumour has it Stegosaurus is the guy with the big beard and baseball cap at the start 🤣:

Even when we do score , some bullied retard in a box somewhere is trying like fuck to find a way you chalk it off. Cant wait to go down. I have started choosing Championship games over prem when the choice is there.

Back
Top Bottom