Unexpected departure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

More than likely will.

Genuine question here but when was the last time an actual ‘good player’ actually stayed for a good length of time?

I’ll not go into politics of ‘selling club’, but genuinely can’t remember us really holding onto a player.

Depends what you mean by a ‘good length of time’.

You seem to be suggesting, with your ‘blades way’ comments that we are different than just about every other club. We aren’t.

More than likely will.

Genuine question here but when was the last time an actual ‘good player’ actually stayed for a good length of time?

I’ll not go into politics of ‘selling club’, but genuinely can’t remember us really holding onto a player.

Whitehouse?

We did quite well keeping our team together while Warnock was here didn't we? I'd say we did, we didn't have anyone Brooks/ Walker level but Jags had a good stint, Brown etc but I was but a lad at the time and I might not have been paying attention.

So ‘the blades way’ is that we might, possibly, eventually, sell those players? o_O

The Bladesfans’ Way is an altogether more interesting phenomenon. I have observed it for years and believe it to be unique.

That’s not a compliment...

The Bladesfans’ Way is an altogether more interesting phenomenon. I have observed it for years and believe it to be unique.

That’s not a compliment...

I’ve no doubt you have observed it for years, but you see things that aren’t actually there

More than likely will.

Harry Maguire played 134 times for united.

Harry Maguire played 134 times for united.

Michael Brown played 147, Michael Tonge played 262, Phil Jagielka played 254, Jamie Murphy played 99.

Paul Coutts has even played 111, although he won’t play many more as apparently its ‘more than likely’ we’ll sell him this year

Fucks sake...

If this is another sale of a key/promising player we are unable to replace we’ll be sleep walking into league 1 again. Wilder can’t perform miracles with the rug pulled out from under him continually.

Maybe sharpe?
Yup, we are doomed. They've been pulling the rug out from under Wilder continually, haven't they – that's the story of the past two seasons, right there.

Michael Brown played 147, Michael Tonge played 262, Phil Jagielka played 254, Jamie Murphy played 99.

Paul Coutts has even played 111, although he won’t play many more as apparently its ‘more than likely’ we’ll sell him this year

Walker played 5. Brooks played 30-odd.

Jags went upon relegation as was in his contract, was Brown really coveted during his spell until Spurs came knocking? I’m aiming more towards ‘held off the prey’ as opposed to anything else. The Murphy one still rankles because he never wanted to go.

Alan Nixon now claiming J’OC to Brighton after they failed with a bid for that reading CB.

£5-6m is the fee :/. We should be demanding what reading wanted for Moore imo.

£10m for an unproven 20-year Old.

£6m for a proven championship defender.

Fucking unbelievable. (If true)

Jags went upon relegation as was in his contract, was Brown really coveted during his spell until Spurs came knocking? I’m aiming more towards ‘held off the prey’ as opposed to anything else. The Murphy one still rankles because he never wanted to go.
I take your point but I think Murphy wanted to go to enhance his chances of a call up for Scotland. I have known to be wrong quite a lot though. :)

I take your point but I think Murphy wanted to go to enhance his chances of a call up for Scotland. I have known to be wrong quite a lot though. :)

I’m going on what his dad has said that’s all. To people I know

If Murphy didn’t want to go he wouldn’t have gone, contracts work both ways.

When was the last time we were genuinely in a position where we didn’t need the money, the player didn’t want to go and was really in demand?

Is any player really coveted until a club comes along. Tonge and Jagielka certainly were and we kept hold of them a lot longer than we had to.

Again, you’re suggesting that we’re different to other clubs, we aren’t.

I don't want to rant and rave, there is Litterally nobody in our squad that I would be more devastated/furious to lose than JOC!
Fuck money, he's 100% not for sale at any price.

Come on, Murph was sold to pay for the Desso. Everyone knows that!

Jamie Murphy was told he would be sold for team strengthening before he agreed to go anywhere.

He may well have been happy to go to Brighton but he was left in no uncertain terms he was wanted out for the money. And it was Clough's choice.

If Murphy didn’t want to go he wouldn’t have gone, contracts work both ways.

I react to that with hearty derision.

“Once a players head is turned” is a favourite. Yet “contracts worth both ways”? Nah, it’s merely a smudge on paper.

Players do get sold - Sanchez and Suarez for 2 examples. Yet De Gea was told to stay put as bids were rejected from his dream club. He’s still there.

This club never seems to put up a fight, at least publicly.

Alan Nixon now claiming J’OC to Brighton after they failed with a bid for that reading CB.

We shouldn't be demanding anything, just say no !

I react to that with hearty derision.

“Once a players head is turned” is a favourite. Yet “contracts worth both ways”? Nah, it’s merely a smudge on paper.

Players do get sold - Sanchez and Suarez for 2 examples. Yet De Gea was told to stay put as bids were rejected from his dream club. He’s still there.

This club never seems to put up a fight, at least publicly.

React to it however you want, Murphy wanted to leave.

Publicly. And that’s half of the problem. I suppose that if we don’t see something on Twitter it can’t be true.

Either way, we’re no different to just about every other team. Pretending we are will only ever cause you pain and suffering.

Coutts - £5m - (proven at this level but that injury will hold him back)
Fleck - £10m (proven at this level)
JOC - £20m. Fantastic player.

We can’t replace these players so you have to go top heavy. And PL clubs can spunk moneh.

It’s the Blades way though

There's no way we'd get these kind of fees Ainsley - sorry! Harry Maguire cost Leicester 17 million last season and the initial fee was 12 million with the potential of rising to 17 million. Fleck is 26 now and only played one season at this level. Bobby Reid scored 20 goals for Bristol last season and went for 10 million. He's 25. We'd be lucky to get half of that for Fleck. Coutts is 30 and injured most of last season as we all know. We won't receive a bid for him that would represent good value as he's quality but would only be worth about 2-3 million, so in many ways he's the most likely to stay.

The players are only worth what the bids come in for them but I can only see Fleck and O'Connell attracting serious interest and they'd need to be big fees but we'll not get the money you talk about in my view.

We absolutely need to be holding on to our best players, adding in a couple more and then really making a go of it this season. UTB.

Brentford also want 10 million plus for the relatively untested Chris Mepham (21 appearancess). They have already rejected a 10 million pound bid from Bournemouth:http://www.skysports.com/football/n...urnemouth-bid-10m-for-brentfords-chris-mepham
We'd be giving him away at that price, and stand very little chance of replacing him.

There's no way we'd get these kind of fees Ainsley - sorry! Harry Maguire cost Leicester 17 million last season and the initial fee was 12 million with the potential of rising to 17 million. Fleck is 26 now and only played one season at this level. Bobby Reid scored 20 goals for Bristol last season and went for 10 million. He's 25. We'd be lucky to get half of that for Fleck. Coutts is 30 and injured most of last season as we all know. We won't receive a bid for him that would represent good value as he's quality but would only be worth about 2-3 million, so in many ways he's the most likely to stay.

The players are only worth what the bids come in for them but I can only see Fleck and O'Connell attracting serious interest and they'd need to be big fees but we'll not get the money you talk about in my view.

I doubt we'd get £15m for the pair. Clubs don't meet fans valuations so the old first bidder chestnut comes out. I said earlier the value of a player is the top bid on the table. That's a better indicatior than poor comparisons with other players. If Fleck is truly worth £10m, for example, someone will pay it.

Back
Top Bottom