Ten years on - United's 2014 FA Cup run

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
January 4th 2014 FA Cup 3rd Round, Aston Villa 1 United 2. I think this must be one of my favourite away days. Thousands of United fans wew there, a great atmosphere and an unexpected win. I can remember the delight as I realised Ryan Flynn's curling shot was going in (I always thought he had the ability to do better for us).
I've sometimes thought that this was the game when the revival began (with a pause for the Adkins season!). We had had such a miserable time, but to go to Villa and win gave us the belief that we could do much better.

This the season “ we “ took 3,000 to QPR as well

That was the season after in the 3rd round, Campbell Ryce scored twice and made Rio Ferdinand look Sunday league standard.

I was at both games and they both rank in my top 5 away matches. I loved cup matches against higher ranked teams under Clough, you always knew we were in with a shout. Against Crawley or Yeovil at home was a different matter though.

I just cannot believe that linesmen back then could give 2 correct off sides without fear of being proved otherwise on tv replays. It’s about time something was invented that made them totally ineffective and almost redundant. Something like VAR, for instance.

Ten years ago I was getting a train home with the only drink I could find...a fucking Capri sun. Angrily trying to stab it to open it.

Not my main memory from that day but the frustration I felt at that point really has stuck with me!

The standing ovation when Hull got their 5th for our team was brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom