Unexpected departure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

More than likely will.

Genuine question here but when was the last time an actual ‘good player’ actually stayed for a good length of time?

I’ll not go into politics of ‘selling club’, but genuinely can’t remember us really holding onto a player.
when we weren’t in the lower leagues?
dane told them to stick it i believe

More than likely will.

Genuine question here but when was the last time an actual ‘good player’ actually stayed for a good length of time?

I’ll not go into politics of ‘selling club’, but genuinely can’t remember us really holding onto a player.
Perhaps your not old enough to remember but Woodward and Badger stayed all their careers at United.

Too true. Apparently Brooks is getting a testimonial as part of his transfer, as a thanks for the years of service he's given us.

In 50 years we'll name a stand after him to recognise his service to the club.

It'll be the SUFC babygrow stand in the club shop though.

Perhaps your not old enough to remember but Woodward and Badger stayed all their careers at United.

Sound. Nah, I ain’t old enough to remember fam. So even though I acknowledge your comment, it’s irrelevant to my point (which I should have made clearer - perhaps - in my opening gambit)

when we weren’t in the lower leagues?
dane told them to stick it i believe

Told Birmingham to f**k off didn't he? When we were in the division below. And what's he now? A courier driver with a shot knee? 'Once a blade, always a blade' as Brooks would say. *raises a glass to Dane*

Let's be honest though. That kind of loyalty died a long time ago in football.

Loyalty has never been in football, just like it isn't in any other industry. But 50 years ago a player might make 10% more by moving to a proper club
The player might decide it's not worth the hassle and stay where he is

Now when they move to a proper club they get a £30,000 a week increase.
Bearing in mind that even if we somehow miraculously managed to get to the Premier League we still wouldn't sign someone on those wages we'll still lose our players to the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Crystal Palace and Watford.

They would then go on to make the real money when they sell them on to Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City and we'd continue to talk about how "OUR" players have done good for themselves

Loyalty has never been in football, just like it isn't in any other industry. But 50 years ago a player might make 10% more by moving to a proper club

Bearing in mind that even if we somehow miraculously managed to get to the Premier League we still wouldn't sign someone on those wages we'll still lose our players to the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Crystal Palace and Watford.

They would then go on to make the real money when they sell them on to Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City and we'd continue to talk about how "OUR" players have done good for themselves

50 years ago, players could make extra money by fixing games, like the three pig players, Swan, Layne and Kay. Basically robbing the working man who enjoyed a bet at the weekends.

50 years ago, players could make extra money by fixing games, like the three pig players, Swan, Layne and Kay. Basically robbing the working man who enjoyed a bet at the weekends.

Yes, I agree, the dirty cheating piggy bastards

Too true. Apparently Brooks is getting a testimonial as part of his transfer, as a thanks for the years of service he's given us.

In 50 years we'll name a stand after him to recognise his service to the club.

It'll be the SUFC babygrow stand in the club shop though.

Said it before. SUFC gave David Brooks / Brook's / Brookes / Brooke's more than David Brooks (etc) gave SUFC. In a better world, we might have assumed that his experience at Manchester City would have made him more loyal to the club that gave him a second chance and a shop window. In the cess pit world that is professional football today, it's not really surprising that we have been so expendable, so early in his career.

I'm afraid that this understanding of football will not stack up for those of us who remember the game as it once was.

I don't know if you are Wednesday (and I've resisted such calls myself) or a wum or decided to just push on with ever more outrageous claims after your first moderate but unpopular comments were booed but seriously chap stop it. I like to read everybody's comments, I've made many unpopular ones of my own (support Evans C, said Fleck shouldn't get sent off for a slide tackle and that wanker from Burton should've been banned for life for fucking Coutts and our season) but suggesting we wouldn't pay 1.5m wages/year per player when we'd be pulling over 100m is simply absurd given McCabe's investment so far.

Back
Top Bottom