Best player you've seen live

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

George Best!!

In 1964 I went to watch the FA Cup semi final at Hillsborough between Man Utd and West Ham in a crowd of around 65,000 . The programme stated that on the left wing for the former would be a player by the name of Best,
someone I’d never heard of .

It transpired that he was a scrawny kid of only 17 or just 18 years old and I remember turning to my mate and saying “ How the fuck can a club like Man U play a kid like him in an FA cup semi final ? “

I seem to remember it was after about 20 minutes when I got the answer to that when he received the ball out on the left , cut inside shimmying past two or three players as if they weren’t there then clipped a beautiful ball which left the goalkeeper for dead but unfortunately came off the bar .

Because of his relatively short lived career and sad decline , I can’t rate him as the best I’ve ever seen but for producing moments of pure magic on a football field he has few if any equals imo .

Seen both Messi and Ronaldo in the flesh. Neither of them ‘wowed’ me on the day but in terms of their careers they’re the best players I’ve seen live.

Saw Liverpool vs Newcastle when Steven Gerrard was in his peak and he was levels above everyone. Looked like an older kid playing against toddlers in the garden.

More recently went to Man City 6-0 Forest a couple of weeks ago and Bernardo Silva was brilliant. Ran the show.

In our PL season I remember thinking Van Dijk looked quality at the Lane. Made it look easy. We gave them a game that day too.
Van dyke was like Mr Ben that day, just popped up all over the gaff, like he had a trap door every attack, came from nowhere, incredibly impressive display, all 90 mins 100 % on it.

I remember seeing a player a few times last year thinking,wow he can be some player if he gets to the right club,has game time and the right tuition-Reda Khadra. Sorry it’s not in the best player seen section
I felt the same way about Leon Clarke.

When he transferred to us there were many eyebrows lifting, in the end at home to Hull and away at the pigs, he did what he'd always done, thank god we had him on our side..

That goal he scored for Bury?? , from the corner flag.. Possibly the best goal I've seen scored against us, I was glad he was on our team, and look at the job he did, not Messi or Ronaldo, but still different gravy...

Imagine being a pig that day (sorry) but what a fuck u that was.

George Best: I was at Old Trafford and saw the goal that knocked us off the top spot, didn't realise how good it was at the time, as he had scored against us, but over the countless times and years it was shown on the telly, I got to thinking Georgie Best was a magician with the ball. (Woody was a close 2nd!)

George Best: I was at Old Trafford and saw the goal that knocked us off the top spot, didn't realise how good it was at the time, as he had scored against us, but over the countless times and years it was shown on the telly, I got to thinking Georgie Best was a magician with the ball. (Woody was a close 2nd!)
I've seen a few saying woodward and currie but I'm old enough to have seen what I think were better in Jimmy Hagan and Alf Ringstead (for a little un he scored a lot of headed goals)

Went to watch Barca in 2013 and Messi scored 4, but you barely noticed him. He must've touched the ball about 20 times, although he did go on a dribble from halfway and just ghosted through which was worth the admission fee.

In 1964 I went to watch the FA Cup semi final at Hillsborough between Man Utd and West Ham in a crowd of around 65,000 . The programme stated that on the left wing for the former would be a player by the name of Best,
someone I’d never heard of .

It transpired that he was a scrawny kid of only 17 or just 18 years old and I remember turning to my mate and saying “ How the fuck can a club like Man U play a kid like him in an FA cup semi final ? “

I seem to remember it was after about 20 minutes when I got the answer to that when he received the ball out on the left , cut inside shimmying past two or three players as if they weren’t there then clipped a beautiful ball which left the goalkeeper for dead but unfortunately came off the bar .

Because of his relatively short lived career and sad decline , I can’t rate him as the best I’ve ever seen but for producing moments of pure magic on a football field he has few if any equals imo .
I saw him at the Lane on a Christmas game around the same time. It was a frosty pitch with a lot of sand on it. George was as nimble as a ballet dancer floating across the icy ground. He would be hard pressed to have been 10 stone. Only fault he had on the playing side was he was a tad greedy with the ball. what a footballer though!!

Dean Hammond for me, I knew he was shit, but fuck me he took that to another level
Good one - he was certainly the "best" shittest player we have ever had !!

I wasn't there. But was told by a few Irish Americans the best performance ever was Paul McGrath against the Italians at Giant's stadium.

Best player individual performance i've weirdly seen was Kewell for Leeds against some Russian team in the O'Leary era. Thought he was absolutely phenomenal, it is a classic case of what could've been. He would have been worth 100 or so now. Absolutely ran the show, scored a worldie and I seethed with jealousy.

It's clearly Messi. I still don't know how I saw him, Neymar and Bitey (in his home debut) all play 90 minutes and Barca didn't score

Im a bit limited on this as i only watch football if the mighty Blades are involved 🔴⚪⚫ 🙌

Against us, best ive seen in the flesh, Steve Kabba for Grimsby, Louis Saha for Man Utd

Lineker never scored against us
It was more about recognition of his overall work rate and ability to move defenders around. He was often labelled as just a poacher but he was much more than that, and a team player. By contrast watch Brewster for ten minutes and he's on his heels; the polar opposite and completely reactive, rather than moving, dragging defenders around and anticipating the next pass.

Patrick Vieira is one that always sticks in my mind.. His reading of the game was brilliant. Just seemed to be in the right place at the right time all of the time. Reyt player.

Christian Ericsson when he came to the lane & his free kick v spurs was pretty special. closest ive come to applauding an opposition goal

Kevin de Bruyne he was then & still is the best player in the premier league by a long way. it was a pleasure to watch that night & that cross for man city was perfection he had to put it on the sixpence for aguero because any less than perfection & we would have cleared it.

Christian Ericsson when he came to the lane & his free kick v spurs was pretty special. closest ive come to applauding an opposition goal

Kevin de Bruyne he was then & still is the best player in the premier league by a long way. it was a pleasure to watch that night & that cross for man city was perfection he had to put it on the sixpence for aguero because any less than perfection & we would have cleared it.
It makes.you wonder that, if the Chelsea managers were allowed a bit more time how they would have faired being allowed to integrate de Bruyne and salah into their team..

Can't believe I am about to say this...

Heskey absolutely ran the show against us in the Wigan game.

We played Portsmouth at the Lane, one Tuesday night a few years back, just after they'd signed Paul Merson. I think it was near the beginning of the season. Merson absolutely bossed the show. It was about as good a performance as you could have wished for from a midfielder. He was the puppet master and the other players danced to his tune. It was sublime. Having said that though, they only left with a point, as I think it finished 1-1 (citation from Silent Blade or someone needed).

Blades v Chelsea 2006, think we lost 0-2. I can’t stand the chavvy twat, but John Terry was absolutely brilliant that game. Always in the right place and cleared everything and tackled everyone. Outstanding game.

I felt the same way about Leon Clarke.

When he transferred to us there were many eyebrows lifting, in the end at home to Hull and away at the pigs, he did what he'd always done, thank god we had him on our side..

That goal he scored for Bury?? , from the corner flag.. Possibly the best goal I've seen scored against us, I was glad he was on our team, and look at the job he did, not Messi or Ronaldo, but still different gravy...

Imagine being a pig that day (sorry) but what a fuck u that was.
Leon was a lovely talented player,again with the right club,ie us with wilder. I was in line with that when he scored that one,nonchalance! Always had room and very clever with the ball,him and Billy were a good pair.

Back
Top Bottom