Best player you've seen live

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In recent times (since 2000), it would be hard to beat Christian Eriksen’s performance in the league cup semi final at BDTBL. One of those rare occasions where, despite losing (on aggregate, anyway), people went home with a slight sense of awed privilege.

Slight twist on the question asked but I’m gonna go with ‘biggest surprise’
And that was Rob Lee. I’d totally underestimated how good he actually was until I saw him play in the flesh. So much time on the ball. He didn’t make a single mistake and completely ran the show. I left the ground knowing I’d seen a great footballer.

This guy.

The year was 2003 and Me and a work mate decided to take a drive from the sleepy village of Wittingen to Wolfsburg and watch them play Hamburg

We didn’t have tickets but managed to blag some on the back of being English and the Hamburg fans thinking we’d add some Hooligan credibility to their denim wearing mob.

D’Allesandro was a young kid and it was early season, he’d just signed I think and he had loads of tricks, a bit like N’Diaye

He ran them ragged and Wolfsburg bagged 4

He never really hit the heights I’d expect after that performance

Went to watch Barcelona four years ago mainly to see Messi play. He broke his arm after fifteen minutes, but by then he’d already scored one and assisted one.

Probably a strange choice, but remember seeing Neville Southall for Everton v Manchester United in the 1985 Charity Shield.

Don't think he had an exceptional game that day, but just made everything look so easy (in comparison with Gary Bailey in the United net who I seem to recall dropped a clanger that day to gift Everton a goal).

What a goalkeeper he was though. Everybody talks about Jennings, Shilton, Clemence and so on, but I'd argue he was perhaps better than the lot in his prime.

Couldn't limit this, so I will go up the pitch, back to front:

Keeper: Peter Schmeichel for Denmark

Defender: The great imperious Franco Baresi

Midfield: I want to say TC, but I saw Michel Platini who was different levels.

Forward: The finest individual performance I ever had the pleasure to see, Marco Van Basten.

Probably Ronaldo, but not necessarily based on his performance that day!

In spite of that horrendous miss I remember watching him and the entire first half we couldn't put a tackle on him. The ball didn't leave his feet until he wanted it to and the best we could do was push him wide wait for him to pass it. It made that miss even funnier but he was unreal even on a bad day and I remember knowing I'd seen a special player.

Kevin De Bruyne is an absolute pleasure to watch when it's not against us, but Ronaldo is one of those you know you'll be annoying your grandkids by harping on about.

And that was Rob Lee. I’d totally underestimated how good he actually was until I saw him play in the flesh. So much time on the ball. He didn’t make a single mistake and completely ran the show. I left the ground knowing I’d seen a great footballer.

Similar for me. Not biggest surprise as such, but not really knowing how good someone was until I saw them live.
Michael Ballack at BDTBL, 28 October 2007. Every pass was a first time pass. Every pass was to a teammate. We didn't get near him all game (not even Monty :) ). He was phenomenal.

Dean Hammond for me, I knew he was shit, but fuck me he took that to another level

Supposed to be Pele at S6 in February 1972 but he was rubbish that day!

Best individual performance I have seen was Wayne Rooney in Blades v Man U in Nov 2006. He was everywhere and scored both goals for Man U.

Couldn't limit this, so I will go up the pitch, back to front:

Keeper: Peter Schmeichel for Denmark

Defender: The great imperious Franco Baresi

Midfield: I want to say TC, but I saw Michel Platini who was different levels.

Forward: The finest individual performance I ever had the pleasure to see, Marco Van Basten.
Baresi. Now that's a defender.

in a similar manner I always thought Emile Heskey was a cart horse who somehow managed to gain caps for England. The way he dominated our defence (Morgan included) in Warnock’s year in the prem made me realise how effective he was at what he did

Baresi. Now that's a defender.

Saw him in person a few times for Italy and Milan. Don't think he made 5 tackles in all the games combined, certainly never saw him sliding on his arse making last ditch tackles, but his positional sense and reading of the game was almost perfection, knew what the opposition was going to do before they did.

Maradona, although he was outshone by 2 ex-Blades on the night. The brilliant Paul McGrath was playing in defence for Man Utd and Bryan Robson had an absolutely fantastic game, scoring 2.
My all time great sporting hero. In my mind Maradona is the greatest to kick a ball.

Back
Top Bottom