Best player you've seen live

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

From my sketchy memory I think Bobby Moore also played. I thought it was 2-2 but I was only a lad at the time on the Kop so a long way to think back !
Moore and Best played together for Fulham against us at BDTBL in 1976 and 1977. The first game was a sunny early October afternoon where we drew 1-1. Marsh would have played in that game as he was on loan from Tampa Bay Rowdies and had gone on loan to play with his mate GB. Thats the game where Best and Marsh spent a lot of the time passing to each other.

The second game was a cold dark late October game in 1977. Best was already having problems off the field as his mate Marsh had gone back to Tampa. He left soon after to go to Tampa himself.

The game will always live in my memory as the finest 30 minutes of football I have ever seen from an individual player. Blades 2-0 up 30 minutes left Best disinterested and someone on the Kop gets the chant going Georgie Best carries a handbag and wears a bra. Cue Best kicking into life taking on all of our team on his own. He dribbles past virtually the whole of the Blades players and sets up a goal. 2-1 and Blades are telling fellow supporters to stop singing the song so as not to upset him. We cling on to the result as he virtually owns the ball for the remaining minutes and gives a masterclass in dribbling and ball retention something that I have never seen since. A flawed genius who sadly is remembered more for his off the field antics than those on it.

Moore and Best played together for Fulham against us at BDTBL in 1976 and 1977. The first game was a sunny early October afternoon where we drew 1-1. Marsh would have played in that game as he was on loan from Tampa Bay Rowdies and had gone on loan to play with his mate GB. Thats the game where Best and Marsh spent a lot of the time passing to each other.

The second game was a cold dark late October game in 1977. Best was already having problems off the field as his mate Marsh had gone back to Tampa. He left soon after to go to Tampa himself.

The game will always live in my memory as the finest 30 minutes of football I have ever seen from an individual player. Blades 2-0 up 30 minutes left Best disinterested and someone on the Kop gets the chant going Georgie Best carries a handbag and wears a bra. Cue Best kicking into life taking on all of our team on his own. He dribbles past virtually the whole of the Blades players and sets up a goal. 2-1 and Blades are telling fellow supporters to stop singing the song so as not to upset him. We cling on to the result as he virtually owns the ball for the remaining minutes and gives a masterclass in dribbling and ball retention something that I have never seen since. A flawed genius who sadly is remembered more for his off the field antics than those on it.
Moore didnt play in the October 1977 match, he had already retired as a player by then.

We were losing 1-0 in the October 1977 match, Tony Gale scored for them. We fought back to win 2-1 with goals from Hamilton and Woody

Last edited:
As a young teen I had the pleasure of being told to “Fuck off” by the great Pat Jennings when asking for his autograph. Beat that!
And i was just about to say how he got the biggest ovation i have ever known to be given to an opposition keeper at the Lane !!

Saw Modric in Euro2016 and he was absolutely everywhere. Against united it probably has to be van Dijk at home in 19/20. Just looked calm and composed no matter what was coming at him, ball just seemed to attract to his feet in tackles

I was there that day and I can't remember him doing anything special but I'm sure I saw him on an indifferent day.

I was there when Suker chipped Schmeichel to score for Croatia in the 1996 Euros. He was some player.

I attended both those matches as well but had forgotten all about Suker's chip:rolleyes:

Recently: Berge at hull the other day. Class act.
Not so recently: Harry Kane. Unplayable.
From the distance past: Zidane in euro 96. Quality.

Moore didnt play in the October 1977 match, he had already retired as a player by then.

We were losing 1-0 in the October 1977 match, Tony Gale scored for them. We fought back to win 2-1 with goals from Hamilton and Woody
Memory must be playing tricks with me Silent. Thought we were winning before he turned on the magic. Agree Moore had retired at the end of the previous season.

Memory must be playing tricks with me Silent. Thought we were winning before he turned on the magic. Agree Moore had retired at the end of the previous season.
I do remember Best trying his best attacking the Kop (I was stood in the Kop) but Tony Kenworthy ended his mazy runs on more than one occasion and the crowd cheered.

Gale's opener at the Lane End early in the game was from close range after a scramble in the box (it was just after Fulham took a corner kick or a free kick)

I remember being impressed with Rooney when we played Man Utd in 2006, just a class player.

The other really weird one is Jermaine Jenas v Spurs away that same season, I think it was maybe more that I’d said how shit he was before the match and he cruised through the game against us.

Peter shilton for derby got 10 out of 10's in all the papers the next day was phenomenal

Probably Ronaldo, but not necessarily based on his performance that day!

I came here to say exactly this. Witnessing that man on a pitch is unreal in terms of the sport. Not sure how true it is but its rumoured that he's a really sound guy as well.

Unfortunately though Ronaldo has to drop to 2nd, my dad is a Wednesday fan and even though I haven't been to S6 since he took me when I was about 8 I have been at his when he's had the matches on and I get to see some lad called Bannon. He has to take the top spot for me..

Erhun Oztumer looked like a man against boys (ironic given his size) when we played Walsall home and away about 8 years ago.

The best talent/performance seen on an opposing team would have to be Rooney under warnock

Yeah he was different class again that day. Also Paul Scholes,no body could get near him that day either,pass and move,look around,rinse and repeat. He could tackle as well,albeit sometimes 5 minutes late.
Supposed to be Pele at S6 in February 1972 but he was rubbish that day!

Best individual performance I have seen was Wayne Rooney in Blades v Man U in Nov 2006. He was everywhere and scored both goals for Man

I was still relatively young, but the performance Paul Scholes put in against us at Bramall Lane in 06/07 was outstanding. I'd never really understood the hype around him until that day. The ball just always came back to him. Left, right, back to Scholes. He set the tempo.
He was just so good.

Shame England never tried him at the base of a 3 with Gerrard & Lampard either side.

Roy Keane is still the best player I’ve ever seen live. Tenacious, driven, cool on the ball, strong in the tackle and so demanding of his teammates. Barely made a mistake.

Kingsley Coman was also very, very good. It’s like marking a ghost. You can see him, you even know which way he’s going, then he passes through you, emerging with both the ball and your soul.

Honourable mentions for Santi Cazorla, John Terry and Ronaldo.

At the Lane, compared to his peers at the time, Sheringham was a different class. In one touch he opened up the play every single time.

Notable mention for Robert Prozineski when he played against us for Portsmouth in the championship. Oozed class.
Lmaobob , you went to that game. Prosinecki didnt run much but the ball seemed to stick with either foot of his, always had space around him and our players couldnt get near enough to him before he made passes into the right areas!

I remember seeing a player a few times last year thinking,wow he can be some player if he gets to the right club,has game time and the right tuition-Reda Khadra. Sorry it’s not in the best player seen section

I remember seeing a player a few times last year thinking,wow he can be some player if he gets to the right club,has game time and the right tuition-Reda Khadra. Sorry it’s not in the best player seen section
You've got to be ficking kidding me ?

Back
Top Bottom