Best player you've seen live

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Saw Diego Maradona at Wembley in 1987, The Football League vs the Rest Of The World.
Was only young but remember he got booed just about everytime he touched the ball after the Hand of God the year before but what a player.

I can remember when spurs beat us at the lane and Eriksen scored that free kick

Thought Harry Kane was fantastic that day and you could tell he was gonna be a world beater

Paul Scholes was a joy to watch in that match. He ran and show and made it look easy. It probably helped that Warnock put Nicky Law against him, the poor lad.

Overall , I appreciate what Warnock did for our club but he was prone to making some bizarre decisions when it came to team selection and this was up there with the worst of them .

Law spent the whole match looking like a hedgehog caught in the headlights giving Scholes acres of room to work in , whilst embarrassingly pointing to senior professionals around him indicating where they should be . I doubt that Scholes had a less challenging opponent in his entire career .

To compound this error and no doubt in attempt to justify his decision , he also played him in our next match or very soon after which I think was away at West Ham , prompting one of the Radio Sheffield commentators to say at half time - “I don’t like to be critical of individual players , but with Nicky Law on the pitch we might as well be playing with ten men “.

Jack Wilshire in a game for England against Denmark, absolute class and one of those ‘you have to see it live’. A bit like Scholes, who I never saw live and never really appreciated.
Honourable mentions for Mel Rees (RIP), against Liverpool and Simon Tracey away against Chelsea

I was once taken to a Nottingham Forest game against Portsmouth in a League Cup game by my stepdad at the time and I remember Yakubu being brought on at half time and being a class above the rest.

He picked the ball up on the halfway line, skinned the Forest defence and crashed a shot in off the bar from the edge of the box to win it in extra time.

Franz Beckenbauer, July 12th 1966 World Cup v Switzerland at Hillsborough. Scored 2 in a 5-0 win and was later voted the best young player
in the tournament. A complete masterclass in running a game. What a wonderful footballer.

Probably TC on a consistent basis, as I've seen him live more than any other worldy.
Michael Browne in the 3-1 victory over Wednesday was an unstoppable tour de force that night
Bobby Charlton in a 1-1 draw night match at The Lane in about 72 or 73 (Silent?) was magnificent.
Alan Kelly somehow got us to extra time in the Wembley semi against Wednesday in 93.
Not in the flesh, but Gareth Bale's destruction of Maicon as Spurs beat Inter about 10 years ago was breathtaking....

Me, when I cut through a 415 volt power cable that had not been identified and tagged off properly, Robinson's nappy and panty pad factory in early 80's at chessy.
Hacksaw went one way....I the other.....
Luckily escaped without any major injuries....

George Best: I was at Old Trafford and saw the goal that knocked us off the top spot, didn't realise how good it was at the time, as he had scored against us, but over the countless times and years it was shown on the telly, I got to thinking Georgie Best was a magician with the ball. (Woody was a close 2nd!)
I always thought that goal was overrated. Nobody tackled him! Gil Reece ran alongside him for some yards and then he chipped it in.

Similar for me. Not biggest surprise as such, but not really knowing how good someone was until I saw them live.
Michael Ballack at BDTBL, 28 October 2007. Every pass was a first time pass. Every pass was to a teammate. We didn't get near him all game (not even Monty :) ). He was phenomenal.
Fully agree and the same day cavallio at the back made Terry look like a donkey

I always thought that goal was overrated. Nobody tackled him! Gil Reece ran alongside him for some yards and then he chipped it in.
Nobody tackled him because Ted Hemsley was off the pitch as I remember.
Seen Messi play. Enuff said really

Back
Top Bottom