Away Shirt (Don't like kits? Don't open)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

hey used to be called "change" kits, worn when the away team's kit clashes with the home team. But when, for example, Chelsea play away at Liverpool, there is no need for a change, yet some teams will wear their away kit, presumably solely to boost sales.

Agree with this - though I can remember watching Liverpool v Chelsea on the telly in b&w - could only tell the difference by the socks. Bit like Ted Lowe's "He's going for the pink, and for those of you with black-and-white sets, the yellow is behind the blue."

If I'm not mistaken it was Revie's L**ds who began the trend of wearing their change shirts in away matches. It was just after they'd signed a deal with Admiral and wanted to get the sales of both home and away replicas up.

It was Admiral in general that first did the replica thing in a big way. They got kit deals with a good few clubs and the England team and came up with very new and different designs.

http://www.truecoloursfootballkits.com/articles/the-kit-cupboard-special-admiral-in-the-70s

Agree with this - though I can remember watching Liverpool v Chelsea on the telly in b&w - could only tell the difference by the socks. Bit like Ted Lowe's "He's going for the pink, and for those of you with black-and-white sets, the yellow is behind the blue."
Now this is really going back into the memory banks, but I seem to recall, more or less the same time that we got a colour telly in the early 70s, that Derby County played Leeds, one team wore all red, the other all blue. I can only assume this was part of some recognition of first colour transmission, or some other bollocks. Must have been real confusing for those still watching in black and white!

Now this is really going back into the memory banks, but I seem to recall, more or less the same time that we got a colour telly in the early 70s, that Derby County played Leeds, one team wore all red, the other all blue. I can only assume this was part of some recognition of first colour transmission, or some other bollocks. Must have been real confusing for those still watching in black and white!
It's almost as if they knew people would be sat watching it in black and white thinking 'fuck this, I'm going to have to get a colour tv'. (it was El Cid at Christmas that did it for my old man, I remember him saying 'this would look great in colour' repeatedly, still took him about six months to get one).

It was an FA Cup quarter final at the Baseball Ground. Derby had an all blue change kit at the time, but why they wore that at home when Leeds were wearing their change kit of red I've no idea.

image076.jpg

It was Admiral in general that first did the replica thing in a big way. They got kit deals with a good few clubs and the England team and came up with very new and different designs.

http://www.truecoloursfootballkits.com/articles/the-kit-cupboard-special-admiral-in-the-70s
I had this kit (modelled by my hero of the time Paul Mariner) :)
Paul Mariner.jpg
and this tracksuit
England tracksuit.jpg
I was about 10 years old at the time. My Dad, being a pig fan, didn't mind buying me England stuff but wouldn't buy me any Blades stuff :D

Attachments

• England tracksuit.jpg
    England tracksuit.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 3
It was an FA Cup quarter final at the Baseball Ground. Derby had an all blue change kit at the time, but why they wore that at home when Leeds were wearing their change kit of red I've no idea.

image076.jpg
Thats the one! As a young kid I remember the excitement of watching matches in colour on the telly. I had a notebook which I used to write down the matches and colours of the kits. I think this lasted for whole of three weeks! Kids these days don't know they're born :)

As a side point - do adidas use this "iron on" technique with sponsors of all kits they manufacture? Or is this the lower league treatment?
The striped avec shirt had Wards woven into the fabric, it' clearly not impossible, so why isn't this standard practice? It looks far better and of course is one less thing to go wrong with the shirt in years to come.

Benfica's is the iron on one too, they don't last very long.

image076.jpg

Thats the one! As a young kid I remember the excitement of watching matches in colour on the telly. I had a notebook which I used to write down the matches and colours of the kits. I think this lasted for whole of three weeks! Kids these days don't know they're born :)

It was because of the strange FA Cup rules in the 1960s and early 1970s. We wore all white for our FA Cup matches in 1967, Fulham wore all red in the FA Cup 4th round and in the replay against us. In the 1971 FA Cup 3rd round match between Wolves and Norwich, the home team wore white shirts and the away team wore all red

Brian Moore for me, fantastic.
Hated his monotone, bland, insipid style and allus associated him and ITV with England's failures. Still associate England's failures with ITV as they are so keen to screen the main England games and big them up only for the inevitable to happen.
Fecking hate the ad break just before kick off but it's the ads and the premium revenue they charge for them that probably gets them the gig in the first place.

Brian Moore. Dull as dishwater since 1902 - brown suit or mid grey. Mealy mouthed and never an opinion made.

I'm sure he was a lovely feller, though, if you met him off screen :)

Can't please everyone, I think it's OK, one you'd happily wear on holiday, a million times better than last seasons shite!

There's no 'flow' to that at all. For me, the collar and sleeve ends need to relate to each another. Too much going on with the stripe - stripes within stripes within stripes. The crossed blades doesn't work very well. And the different coloured sponsor letters looks terrible.

Not keen on that at all.
Yep, looks shit

Hated his monotone, bland, insipid style and allus associated him and ITV with England's failures. Still associate England's failures with ITV as they are so keen to screen the main England games and big them up only for the inevitable to happen.
Fecking hate the ad break just before kick off but it's the ads and the premium revenue they charge for them that probably gets them the gig in the first place.

Brian Moore. Dull as dishwater since 1902 - brown suit or mid grey. Mealy mouthed and never an opinion made.

I'm sure he was a lovely feller, though, if you met him off screen :)

Mid seventies - in hindsight it was probably best I didn't meet certain celebrities from that era in real life ;)

Just out of interest ,when are they releasing the away kit

Sat watching Wales vs Portugal and can't help but think the Welsh away kit is "lush". Would love something similar!

Sat watching Wales vs Portugal and can't help but think the Welsh away kit is "lush". Would love something similar!

Yeah it's decent. I think stripes make for worse kit design in general sadly.
Also who designs Nike kits? they want sacking. they are awful. can anyone show me a good Nike kit?

Back
Top Bottom