Armchair Manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Most believe a new striker is a priority.
I’m gonna plug Boulaye DIA again.
He’s currently on loan at Salernitana from Villerreal. They have an option to buy which indicates Villerreal are prepared to part terms. I think we should do all we can to hijack that move.
Imagine our front two being Ndiaye and Dia! 😍

I think that question will depend on whether Ndiaye and Berge will sign a contract or not.

If they do, I'd probably agree with you, except I'd have RND at LCB so it would be LWB. I'd say we could probably get away with a loan striker instead of a permanent though. Could probably get someone better doing it that way. Id be tempted to go:

GK, LWB, LCM, CM

We're just so short of permanent midfielders it must be a priority.
I like RND at LWB. He’s fast and direct, and he crosses a decent ball! He’d be good cover for both positions actually now I’ve said it.

Great detailed response. And I have to say in an ideal World I’d agree on almost every point. I just don’t think we will have the resources to overhaul the squad like this (not in the first year)
So I guess the question is… if we had funds for 4 permanent signings, which positions would you target?
For me it’s GK, LCB, DM, ST
An alternative approach would be to sign the four permanently that we are most excited about (i.e. gems like Anel) and fill the remaining positions with loans?

Now it’s safe to speculate on any future transfers here’s my thoughts on the possibilities.
I don’t think there will be whole sale changes. With that in mind I think 5/6 signings in key positions and the right contract extensions will do the job.
Let me know what you think. ⚔️

GK

Caoimhin KELLEHER – LOAN
Wes – New Contract
Davies

DEF

Carlos AUGUSTO – SIGN – LCB (LB & MID)
Ahmedhodzic
Egan
Baldock
RND
Robinson – New Contract
Bogle
Basham
Lowe
Axel TUANZEBE - FREE
O’Connell – Released
Clark – End of Loan
Stevens – Released

MID

Tommy DOYLE – SIGN
James McAtee – LOAN
Berge
Norwood – New Contract
Osborn – New Contract
Coulibaly
Jason KNIGHT - FREE
Fleck – Release

ATT

Boulaye DIA – SIGN
Ndiaye
McBurnie – New Contract
Brewster
Jebbison – New Contract
Osula - Loan
Sharp – Released / Coach

Starting XI

Kelleher
Ahmedhodzic Egan Augusto
Baldock RND
Berge Doyle McAtee
Ndiaye
Dia

Subs

McBurnie
Brewster / Jebbison
Norwood
Osborn
Coulibaly
Knight
Robinson
Tuanzebe
Bogle
Wes
Nice thread and some decent suggestions there.

Here's my starting 11 😉

Henderson

Anel Coady Egan

Walker Berge Doyle Mcatee RND

Ndiaye Gyokeres

Unlikely I know, but it is a wishlist 😁

I like RND at LWB. He’s fast and direct, and he crosses a decent ball! He’d be good cover for both positions actually now I’ve said it.
I think for his own sake he needs to stick with one position. I don't think playing a mixture will help with his development.

Most believe a new striker is a priority.
I’m gonna plug Boulaye DIA again.
He’s currently on loan at Salernitana from Villerreal. They have an option to buy which indicates Villerreal are prepared to part terms. I think we should do all we can to hijack that move.
Imagine our front two being Ndiaye and Dia! 😍
Dia wouldn't be a bad shout, especially if we can get him on a good price.

I like Pavlidis at AZ. Could be out of our price range though.

We need to sign a LWB. Lowe is a weak link the championship, he can't cut it at PL level, major uncertainty around RND coming back from injury. I like Mateus Queresma at Arouca (portugal) as a hidden gem.

1. Training ground
2. Academy

3. Squad:

New contracts: McBurnie, Norwood, Robinson, Ndiaye if possible

Sell / release: Stevens, Fleck, Berge, Lowe, Osborn, Coulibaly

Sign from......

GK: Johnstone / Henderson / Çakir / Kelleher / Cooper (Plymouth)

RCB/CB: Tuanzebe / Coady / Uremovic / Rodon / Dickie

LCB: John Brooks / Murray Wallace / Greaves / Malang Sarr

LWB: Williams / Perraud / Doig / Giles / Lewis / Hassane Kamara

RCM: Mady Camara / Smallbone / Stuart Armstrong / Travis / Bellegarde / Nahitan Nandez
CM: Doyle / Grillitsch / Skhiri / Hamer / Choudhury / Endo / Pape Gueye
LCM: O'Brien / Field / Bašić

FWD/AM: McAtee / Archer / Willock / Adam Armstrong / Elliot Anderson / Lewis-Potter / Doan

CF: Gyokeres / Adams / Muriqi / Wood / Dia / Diallo / Guirassy / Mateta / Surridge

Johnstone
Anel Egan Robinson
Baldock Skhiri Doyle Williams
Ndiaye McAtee
Gyokeres

Subs: Foderingham, Tuanzebe, RND, Norwood, Smallbone, Armstrong, McBurnie

Would take that, with the main spending emphasis on Gyokeres

Struggling for ideas at LCB but think Robinson is capable regardless and there are definite plusses to having him there. Would be a very solid, feisty left side with him and Williams

An alternative approach would be to sign the four permanently that we are most excited about (i.e. gems like Anel) and fill the remaining positions with loans?
That’s what I’m thinking… go all out for those 3/4 first team starters.

Here's my starting 11 😉

Henderson

Anel Coady Egan

Ndiaye Gyokeres

It’s a wish list kinda thread. With a sprinkling of reality! 😁
I don’t think yours is TOO far fetched. Could certainly see a couple of those coming off.

Dia wouldn't be a bad shout, especially if we can get him on a good price.

I like Pavlidis at AZ. Could be out of our price range though.

We need to sign a LWB. Lowe is a weak link the championship, he can't cut it at PL level, major uncertainty around RND coming back from injury. I like Mateus Queresma at Arouca (portugal) as a hidden gem.
Scrambles to view pavlidis and Queresma’s highlight reels!! 🤣
That’s what I love about all this… the suggestions and ideas 👍

It's worth noting that Norwood had the best stats in the division for most of this season. Sure, he had a drop in form when we had a wobble but it's harsh to say he's not good enough as a back-up. Having said that, I'd only want to offer him 1 more year.
I don't think it's harsh Robbie solely because if the first choice gets injured and then Norwood is playing regularly I don't think he's good enough. Saying someone isn't good enough sounds harsh, but footballers, like any sport, even snooker, have their peak and then the body deteriorates. And Norwood is past that peak in my view and before when he was playing well in the PL he was playing out of his skin as the whole squad was, on a huge high under Wilder. That was three years ago though. Fleck is another who just isn't the same player, even Bash is now at a similar age where can we expect him to be as good as he was last time out given he's 34 now.

I appreciate Norwood's stats were good but I go with what I see with my own eyes, and in my view you can see the difference when Doyle plays in the team to Doyle including set pieces which was Norwood's forte but I would say Doyle has improved that aspect of the team too. I think playing twenty minutes at the end of games to come on say for an attacking player to add extra defensive strength would be fine for Norwood but I'm not sure that the role for Norwood would be that if he stays. If he's part of the 25 man squad then in my view he may end up playing a lot of games dependant on injuries and as I say, I don't think he's up to that. I don't want to be critical of any of the current squad (bar Brewster who I must admit I have been very disappointed with for £23m) but we need some real competition to compete in the PL, even if we go down we need more quality to compete. Norwood isn't someone I'd be keeping for that competition. And as I said previously, when we got promoted last time out he was my player of the season so I am a big fan, but every dog has his day.

1. Training ground
2. Academy

3. Squad:

Sign from......

RCM: Mady Camara / Smallbone / Stuart Armstrong / Travis / Bellegarde / Nahitan Nandez

FWD/AM: McAtee / Archer / Willock / Adam Armstrong / Elliot Anderson / Lewis-Potter / Doan

CF: Gyokeres / Adams / Muriqi / Wood / Dia / Diallo / Guirassy / Mateta / Surridge

Johnstone
Anel Egan Robinson
Ndiaye McAtee
Gyokeres

Struggling for ideas at LCB but think Robinson is capable regardless and there are definite plusses to having him there. Would be a very solid, feisty left side with him and Williams
Yes Williams is on a free isn’t he! Good shout that!
I’m not one though for wanting to see Berge go to recoup cash (or if you think he’s shit! Haha)
I think he’ll be amazing next season and I’d rather that and see what unfolds.

Here's my starting 11 😉

Henderson

Anel Coady Egan

Ndiaye Gyokeres

I like that, feel like gyokeres is more unlikely than walker weirdly 😂 I’d also probably prefer Anel at LCB and have Walker as a RCB (like when he plays for England) and George at wing back

Yes Williams is on a free isn’t he! Good shout that!
I’m not one though for wanting to see Berge go to recoup cash (or if you think he’s shit! Haha)
I think he’ll be amazing next season and I’d rather that and see what unfolds.

My reasoning with Berge is that we'll have very little possession and I'd prefer an energetic ball winning type primarily. Though to be fair he has improved that side of his game this year

Stick with him and we may be foregoing the possibility of a front 3 - because would you want him in a 2 with Doyle at PL level?

A number of the alternatives we could sign could also do the RCM job in a 3

We need to judge Berge on reality and not his transfer fee and reputation from years ago

I also think he'd rather leave if he could get a top league move elsewhere

Lastly we really shouldn't be losing him and Ndiaye on frees but if we have to lose one, it's an easy choice. We've surrendered too much money with player departures in recent years. This is a poor habit we have to get out of

I don't think it's harsh Robbie solely because if the first choice gets injured and then Norwood is playing regularly I don't think he's good enough. Saying someone isn't good enough sounds harsh, but footballers, like any sport, even snooker, have their peak and then the body deteriorates. And Norwood is past that peak in my view and before when he was playing well in the PL he was playing out of his skin as the whole squad was, on a huge high under Wilder. That was three years ago though. Fleck is another who just isn't the same player, even Bash is now at a similar age where can we expect him to be as good as he was last time out given he's 34 now.

I appreciate Norwood's stats were good but I go with what I see with my own eyes, and in my view you can see the difference when Doyle plays in the team to Doyle including set pieces which was Norwood's forte but I would say Doyle has improved that aspect of the team too. I think playing twenty minutes at the end of games to come on say for an attacking player to add extra defensive strength would be fine for Norwood but I'm not sure that the role for Norwood would be that if he stays. If he's part of the 25 man squad then in my view he may end up playing a lot of games dependant on injuries and as I say, I don't think he's up to that. I don't want to be critical of any of the current squad (bar Brewster who I must admit I have been very disappointed with for £23m) but we need some real competition to compete in the PL, even if we go down we need more quality to compete. Norwood isn't someone I'd be keeping for that competition. And as I said previously, when we got promoted last time out he was my player of the season so I am a big fan, but every dog has his day.
Fair comment, but there's no way we're going to sign 5 new midfielders. I think it's a risk we might have to take, just for continuity.

——-Mamardashvili——
-—Anel-Egan-Salisu—-
Baldock———Manning
—Berge-Doyle-McAtee-
——Ndiaye-Archer——

Rest of squad
GK
Wes
Davies

Defenders
Bogle
Basham
Uremovic (new)
Robinson
RND

Midfield
Garner (new)
Norwood
O’Brien (new)

Forwards
McBurnie
Brewster
Jebbison

If the budget allows I’d add Maitland-Niles too, as a right sided upgraded version of Osborn to cover RWB and CM.

would have to change Salisu/Mamardashvili if Southampton/Valencia don’t get relegated.

My reasoning with Berge is that we'll have very little possession and I'd prefer an energetic ball winning type primarily. Though to be fair he has improved that side of his game this year

Stick with him and we may be foregoing the possibility of a front 3 - because would you want him in a 2 with Doyle at PL level?

A number of the alternatives we could sign could also do the RCM job in a 3

We need to judge Berge on reality and not his transfer fee and reputation from years ago

I also think he'd rather leave if he could get a top league move elsewhere

Lastly we really shouldn't be losing him and Ndiaye on frees but if we have to lose one, it's an easy choice. We've surrendered too much money with player departures in recent years. This is a poor habit we have to get out of
I’ve never judged Berge on his fee.
I’m a huge fan of his. I think if we have any hope of staying up we at least need to hold onto our best players.
What’s the point in selling Ndiaye and Berge when the ultimate prize is far greater… Premiership survival is the key to moving forward as a club. We have to hold onto these guys and add to the squad where we can.
That’s my philosophy anyway 😊

I don't think he's a good crosser, or maybe he is infrequently. Also poor first touches in attacking positions, which would need a big improvement for the Prem.

I like him though - was thinking LCB for him. As an option at LWB in the right scenarios.

I’ve never judged Berge on his fee.
I’m a huge fan of his. I think if we have any hope of staying up we at least need to hold onto our best players.
What’s the point in selling Ndiaye and Berge when the ultimate prize is far greater… Premiership survival is the key to moving forward as a club. We have to hold onto these guys and add to the squad where we can.
That’s my philosophy anyway 😊
I agree, that's why I'd be inclined to keep Ndiaye regardless

No Ndiaye = no chance. Or little chance

No Berge, and we could in fact be stronger with more round pegs for round holes, IMO. I also said we'd be stronger without MGW.... might be somewhat similar with this

I agree, that's why I'd be inclined to keep Ndiaye regardless

No Ndiaye = no chance. Or little chance

No Berge, and we could in fact be stronger with more round pegs for round holes, IMO. I also said we'd be stronger without MGW.... might be somewhat similar with this
They’re all fair comments. Totally agree with the Ndiaye point. And that was a big call regards MGW, I’ll guess we’ll never know if that was correct. We’ve certainly done the job without him. But that doesn’t automatically equate to being stronger.
It’s interesting isn’t it… if we was in charge we’d go in different directions it seems.
I’m excited to see how this pre season goes. Great times to be a Blade!

1. Training ground
2. Academy

3. Squad:

Sign from......

Johnstone
Anel Egan Robinson
Ndiaye McAtee
Gyokeres

Some great research there!

Knowing Hecky as we do, I'd be surprised if there are as many departures as some are thinking.

You mention - Stevens, Fleck, Berge, Lowe, Osborn, Coulibaly

I'd hazard a guess that Berge, Osborn and Coulibaly will be with us next year. It's possible the latter might be given a longer contract and then loaned out. I can imagine Lower still being returned but then ending up on loan again. Physically he's fine but his defensive awareness is lacking. We saw enough of that in the last two games.

I'd be interested to know which of those are out of contract. Yes they might want a signing fee but low outlay in comparison to club related fees

We’d have 7. Plus Augusto can play midfield and then there’s Brooks and Arblaster waiting in the wings.
Essentially I’m trying to be realistic.
The signings need to be key as I don’t feel we can (or should) have a massive overhaul in the summer.
I would discount Brooks and Arblaster.

As Ball_Sup (Phil) mentioned, there is a whole crop of players who were ahead of them and were sent on loan.

Yes, you’ll get the odd player who is fast tracked without doing a full season on loan e.g. Iliman. But for Arblaster and Brooks, unless they are in the Iliman category, then the next step for them is league football on loan at either League One or Two level. You can probably add Peck and Maguire into that group.

The question then turns to who if any from the group on loan get to remain. Broadbent, Neal, Brunt, Gordon, Seriki, Belehouan and Boyes for example.

It looks like Boyes is tracking well. Maybe a loan to a newly promoted Champ team or a League One team pushing at the top before joining the first team squad in 2024/25? Neal has held down a spot in League Two. He’ll be 23 at the start of next season. So do we persevere and send to League One or is his time up? You’d think Brunt, Broadbent and Seriki have not done enough to remain. Not clear what the club thinks about Gordon.

Either way, a fair few decisions need to be made and sooner the better.

if I was to rank my priorities for improvement

Left back
Midfield depth / attacking mid
Centreback depth
Striker
Keeper

We can’t just replace everyone who’s not outstanding. We need a squad. Even the likes of Osborn, while not incredible can play and cover in about 5 positions. We don’t want to do a forest and replace a team with a load of individuals.

Not the most off the wall wish list but Is like some from :

GK Hendo/ Johnstone - if we want to get a keeper in. Personally I think Wes has not put a foot wrong and earned a shot.

LB - Wharton seems highly rated at Blackburn. Though haven’t seen much of him.
Maatson - Ideally could do with type like him on loan or similar from the big boys. Burnley will take him again I imagine.
Giles - though I think boro would be looking for big money.

CB - Ballard from Sunderland.
Worrell from forest?

MF - Doyle, just makes sense
O’brien - as we’ve been linked before.
Harmer - seems to have had a nice season.
Chouhoudry - just off his performances against us.

AM - mcatee on loan
Diallo - done well at Sunderland.

ST - love the Coventry lad or archer. But think with mcburnie/Ndaiye/Brewster/sharp/jebbo/osula. Might be what we go with.

The ideal position would be to get to the point where you have good performers form this year adding depth from the bench. Like Robinson, Norwood. Mcburnie for example. We need to add far less than last time we went up.

Hopefully hecky is more Amenable than wilder was to foreign players so we can avoid the English tax.

if I was to rank my priorities for improvement

Left back
Midfield depth / attacking mid
Centreback depth
Striker
Keeper

We can’t just replace everyone who’s not outstanding. We need a squad. Even the likes of Osborn, while not incredible can play and cover in about 5 positions. We don’t want to do a forest and replace a team with a load of individuals.

Not the most off the wall wish list but Is like some from :

GK Hendo/ Johnstone - if we want to get a keeper in. Personally I think Wes has not put a foot wrong and earned a shot.

LB - Wharton seems highly rated at Blackburn. Though haven’t seen much of him.
Maatson - Ideally could do with type like him on loan or similar from the big boys. Burnley will take him again I imagine.
Giles - though I think boro would be looking for big money.

CB - Ballard from Sunderland.
Worrell from forest?

MF - Doyle, just makes sense
O’brien - as we’ve been linked before.
Harmer - seems to have had a nice season.
Chouhoudry - just off his performances against us.

AM - mcatee on loan
Diallo - done well at Sunderland.

ST - love the Coventry lad or archer. But think with mcburnie/Ndaiye/Brewster/sharp/jebbo/osula. Might be what we go with.

The ideal position would be to get to the point where you have good performers form this year adding depth from the bench. Like Robinson, Norwood. Mcburnie for example. We need to add far less than last time we went up.

Hopefully hecky is more Amenable than wilder was to foreign players so we can avoid the English tax.
A totally agree with this way of thinking.
And the Coventry lad is easier to spell than Gyokeres isn’t it 🤣
Wouldn’t touch Worrall with a 10ft pole. But other than that some decent suggestions 👍

He put a couple of feet wrong against Burnley which cost the club 3 points and potentially their last hopes of pipping them to the title. He was also stupid v Blackpool, which again cost the club in terms of being suspended :)

Personally, I don't think he's anywhere near Prem level and a much better replacement is required. He obviously backs himself so I'd have no problem with him staying and pushing a new GK for the jersey.

He put a couple of feet wrong against Burnley which cost the club 3 points and potentially their last hopes of pipping them to the title. He was also stupid v Blackpool, which again cost the club in terms of being suspended :)

Personally, I don't think he's anywhere near Prem level and a much better replacement is required. He obviously backs himself so I'd have no problem with him staying and pushing a new GK for the jersey.

Just saying to me , we have more pressing needs. Wes has been solid and certainly dropped fewer bollox than ramsdale did during his time here.

I’d be fine with him starting next season.

We have limited resources - I’d rather spend 10 mil on a midfielder or use a loan spot on a left back for example than replace him. Just on a use of resource basis.

Just saying to me , we have more pressing needs. Wes has been solid and certainly dropped fewer bollox than ramsdale did during his time here.

I’d be fine with him starting next season.

We have limited resources - I’d rather spend 10 mil on a midfielder or use a loan spot on a left back for example than replace him. Just on a use of resource basis.

Fair enough BiL - agree there's little point in splurging on a costly GK if there's nobody in midfield :)

However, I would hope that the budget, which should include the not inconsiderable savings from releasing Stevens, JOC, Fleck, Osborn, Davies (& Sharp???), will be sufficient to bring in improvements where required.

Fair enough BiL - agree there's little point in splurging on a costly GK if there's nobody in midfield :)

However, I would hope that the budget, which should include the not inconsiderable savings from releasing Stevens, JOC, Fleck, Osborn, Davies (& Sharp???), will be sufficient to bring in improvements where required.
I think that is key, the timing is just right, The saving on the above released will be immense, also the transfer economy is not what it was 2019

I think money will be tight (relatively speaking) for next season and we need to focus in bringing in permanent signings that are of a good age and who we can develop and loaning a few to give us a chance. Realistically, at best we're going to be in a relegation fight next season. We need players who can scrap and battle. Who can work within our system. Anyone signed permanently must be adaptable enough to play a possession game should we get relegated.

In terms of bringing players in, I don't think it can be overstated how difficult it is for players to come in and fit into our system. This is a huge factor for me when considering whether we offer new contracts.

GK.

Need 3 in the EFL.

Wes is 32 now and unlikely to improve. I don't think he's good enough for the top flight and we certainly need to be looking to the future. I'd want us to be looking to sign someone for the long-term who can at least challenge Wes straight away. The 3rd keeper in the EPL is usually some experienced guy who will probably not play but will be happy.

If they'd both stay on these terms, I'd offer Wes 1 or 2 years as back up/competition and Davies a year as third choice.

So, we'd need:

1. first choice keeper (permanent)
2. Wes
3. Davies

Assimah and Dewhurst go out on loans. We do not give Eastwood another blinking contract!

LWB

I think RND is the long-term solution for LCB. His pace will be invaluable in that position and it's easier to bring in a new LWB than a LCB. We'll likely have Lowe next season, whatever, and unless there's a chance to sell him I think he stays as back up. In terms of first choice, I think it depends on Boyes. If we think Boyes can probably step up in another year then loan him to the Championship and bring someone in on loan.

1. new signing (permanent or loan depending on Boyes)
2. Lowe

LCB

A very tricky position to fill as we've seen. I think RND should focus on this position and be our first choice. Robbo knows the system inside out. I think we offer him a year contract as back-up.

1. RND
2. Robbo

CB

Egan has mad the position his own but I think we've been a little remiss in not bringing in a back up earlier. Touch wood he's both reliable and largely injury free. He's 30 now though so I think we need to bring in a young permanent signing who we can develop and will act as back-up.

1. Egan
2. New permanent signing

RCB

Anel has shown he's likely good enough to step up and Bash has another year left and has done it all before. I'd be tempted, given limited funds, to stick with what we have.

1. Anel
2. Bash

RWB

Furious has shown he's good enough defensively as a started in the top flight. He's limited going forward but given we're going to cede possession to most teams I think the defensive side will be key. Bogle has shown great and dire form but is still young. Given finances, I think we stick with him for another year.

1. Furious
2. Bogle

LCM

I don't think we have anyone at the club who can play this role well. I feel we're likely to have a flexible flat 3 next season, so preferably players who can push further forward when needed. I'd be looking to bring in a player permanently and one on loan. It will depend on the options which would start.

1. new permanent/loan
2. new permanent/loan

CM

In a perfect world I think we look at Doyle. However, while he finished the season strongly he was mixed before then so I don't think we should be paying huge amounts for his service. Certainly nothing more than £10 million as a basic. Norwood has had the best stats in the league for most of this season. Yes, his form fell off a cliff but he played every game. He's no spring chicken so it might just have been fatigue. I think it's worth offering him another year. Arblaster and Neal both have a lot of talent. I'd like to see them get Championship loans.

1. new permanent
2. Norwood

RCM

Berge has shown in the last few games that he's good enough to step up. If he can do that consistently then he'll be a good EPL midfielder. If he's prepared to sign a new contract then I'd be looking to loan a back up who could possibly play across the midfield. If not, then bring in a permanent signing.

1. Berge
2. loan/permanent

ST

Ndiaye has made the support role his own and obviously get the starting peg. A lot then depends on whether he'll sign a new contract or not. If not, the back-up needs to be a permanent signing who can play at this level if needed.

1. Ndiaye
2. Loan/permanent

ST

I think we need a McBurnie type player but I don't think he's been anywhere near good enough on a consistent basis. He's still not reached his peak age for a striker though so I'd be tempted to offer him a year contract as second choice. I feel Jebbo needs games. He's still so raw and needs experience he'll only get by playing. Ditto Osula. I'd want Jebbo to get a good loan in the Championship and Osula get a loan where he starts games.

1. New permanent or loan
2. McBurnie

others

Brewster is unlikely to be worth much until his proves fitness/form so he'd stay on as part of the squad.

which means Fleck, Stevens, Osborn, Sharp, Coulibaly are all released.

That's 9 new signing and it could be argued I'm being generous in keeping some on.
This is pretty much bang on what I think they'll be looking at.

Would be great if we can get one or both of Ndiaye and Berge to sign a new contract with a release clause rather than losing them for a reduced fee this year or no fee next summer. We need to get better at selling players to reinvest in the squad.

Due to RND coming back from injury and not wanting to rely on Robinson I'd imagine they try to bring in a left-sided centre back who would also be comfortable playing centrally. Clark seemed to fit that mould this year but injuries meant we didn't see too much of him.

Agree with the released list as well but I can see a world where Sharp and Osborn stay on. Sharp for his leadership and as a reliable third choice given Brewster's fitness issues and Osborn for his versatility and work rate. Not ideal but wouldn't be surprised.

Good loan spells for the young lads are important. Would be great if for 24/25 we're in a position where Jebbison, Arblaster, Boyes etc. have all proven themselves at championship level or at least done well and had regular minutes somewhere.

Last edited:

This'd be my main five point plan, assuming that the first priority is to use the PL to service any backdated debts and make sure the club is secure going forward, with the main key to be to maximise the chances of finishing 17th while making the squad better/younger sustainably. I'm trying to roughly cost it for 23/24 as well:

1) Extend Ndiaye

Clear no brainer, working on the assumption that his contract runs until the end of next season. There is zero way that we should even consider selling him - if he doesn't want to extend, then the value we would get by using his talents on the pitch and letting him leave on a free would far surpass anything we could replace him, even considering the transfer fee we would receive. That said, surely the easiest way to make the player happy would be to pay him commensurate with his talents - if we paid him a record for the club (by quite some margin even) to extend through 2025 (2026 ideally, but let's not be greedy) with a reasonable relegation release clause, then it would surely be tempting for him to sign knowing he is going to get first team football on the biggest stage on the planet? Cost - £5m

2) Sign Doyle permanently

We're going to need at least two central midfielders, minimum, assuming that the likes of Arblaster, Coulibaly etc don't have a ridiculous upturn in performances (which given yesterday's lineup, Hecky doesn't even want to test), so bringing in Doyle permanently is a common move people suggest. Turning 22 early next season, he's probably never going to make it into the City squad, so assuming City don't take the piss with the asking price (at least in terms of fixed fees, if they want to include clauses which only hit if we survive then that's fine with me) this would fill a key need at a reasonable cost. Cost - £15m

3) Add a young creative attacking midfielder on loan

It's pretty unlikely that we're going to be able to sign such a player permanently, so this seems like a logical spot to use the domestic loan market to fill. McAtee would be the obvious choice, depending on City's squad plans going forward, although it seems at least in the short term his natural position(s) seem incredibly blocked at his parent club, so I would think this one would be feasible. If not, then there are likely similar targets who are not going to feature significantly (if at all) at big clubs that could use PL game time. Cost - £2m

4) Use free agent/loan market to add a keeper, striker

Wes has been fantastic for us, and while I don't think he would look out of place in the PL, with the importance of the position getting the best we can seems critical. There's probably going to be players who are older and experienced who could be brought in, either as a free agent on a one year deal, or on a season long loan. If Forest are able to get Keylor Navas then we should be able to get someone who is an upgrade. Similarly up top - Ndiaye will clearly occupy one spot, then we've got a selection of Jebbison, McBurnie and Brewster (still think there's a player in there, even if it's just an off the bench option), maybe Osula if we stretch it. Think we clearly need one more, so use the same strategy - there's going to be free agents out there with PL experience who we could pick up as a one year hire, or we could look overseas for a loan. For example, Dortmund have an English kid formerly of City, who's getting minutes mainly off the bench but may find progress blocked if he stays at the Westfalen, who could potentially work. We could go more experienced - I've always liked Kasper Dolberg, who Nice seem to have been loaning out this season who might be considered surplus to requirements (that may be because they've got Pepe in on loan from Arsenal, I don't watch Ligue 1). There's bound to be someone who can be brought in who would be an upgrade alongside Ndiaye at a not unreasonable cost. Heck, you could look at the clubs that go down. Burnley were happy to loan Weghorst back out to the PL, so who's to say that the likes of a Southampton or Everton (assuming either isn't forced into a fire sale) wouldn't have surplus requirements in the Championship up top (in before bring DCL back calls)? By the looks of things you're only allowed two loans at the same time, so one would have to be a permanent deal, but a one year free agent signing is for all intents and purposes a loan. Cost - £6-8m

5) Upgrade LCB from overseas

Basically find Anel 2.0. JLT's far surpassed what a lot of us were expecting from him when he initially signed, but if we start the season with him in the first XI, it does look like somewhat of a glaring weakness. Heck, even if RND returns and we slot him or Lowe there as an alternative, it's still going to be a problem. So look to make a second long term signing on someone who's probably in a second tier league who can do a job going forward for the next 3-4 years. My knowledge of European football is not what it used to be so I couldn't give specific examples, but I think we could probably spend a touch more than we did on Ahmedhodzic and get ourselves a much solider back three, with new player + Anel hopefully being able to limit the amount of times Egan's lack of pace might be exploited. Cost - £6m

That's roughly around £35m of spending, the vast majority of which is loaded into the upcoming season, and I don't think this is excessive. This would leave us with a squad looking something like:

new keeper, Foderingham, Davies
Baldock, Bogle, Lowe, Norrington-Davies
Ahmedhodzic, Egan, new LCB, Robinson, Basham (has a year left, probably fine for emergency depth)
Doyle, Berge, loan AM, Norwood, Coulibaly, Arblaster, Osborn (unsure of contract status, extend for a year for emergency depth/versatility)
Ndiaye, new striker, McBurnie, Brewster, Jebbison, Osula

That's 25, although I guess some of the younger kids would not count towards the PL squad limit, similarly with any of the kids on loan or others I've not mentioned like Brooks who might be further along than the ones listed. Feels a touch light, especially in CM, but I would not hate this as an initial starting point

Back
Top Bottom