24/25

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CoatesyBlade

Reaction score
Here it is the next where do we go from here thread that nobody asked for! 🤣
With PL survival hanging by the thinnest of threads and JTW just days away I wanted to look at the squad and this is what I came up with. A rebuild is needed that’s for sure and we 100% need a new keeper. The positives to take are that we do possess a couple of decent youths at the club.
Let me know your thoughts.
I think this will be a very interesting window for us and will say a lot about any future ambitions!

Leave/Want to leave (Sell)
Ahmedhodzic
Hamer
Souza
McAtee
Archer
McBurnie
Jebbison

Leave/Sell:
Foderingham
A. Davies
Amissah
Basham
Thomas
Larouci
Fleck
Coulibaly

Remaining players:
Trusty
Egan (OOC)
Robinson
Lowe (OOC)
Norrington-Davies (OOC)
Bogle (OOC)
T. Davies
Slimane
Norwood (OOC)
Osborn (OOC)
Baldock (OOC)
Traore
Brewster
Osula

Youth:
Seriki
Boyes
Freckleton
Arblaster
Neal
Peck
Brooks
Marsh

24/25 Squad:
GK: None
RB: Baldock / Bogle / Seriki
RCB: Egan
LCB: Trusty / Robinson / RND / Freckleton
LB: Lowe / RND / Boyes
CM: Davies / Norwood / Slimane / Osborn / Arblaster / Neal / Brooks
FWD: Peck / Marsh
ST: Brewster / Osula / Traore

24/25 Team:
RB : Baldock
LCB : Trusty
LB: RND
DM: Davies
RCM: Arblaster
LCM: Brooks
AM: Slimane
ST: Troare
ST: Osula

Subs:
GK
Robinson
Norwood
Brewster
Lowe
Bogle
Osborn

With PL survival hanging by the thinnest of threads and JTW just days away I wanted to look at the squad and this is what I came up with. A rebuild is needed that’s for sure and we 100% need a new keeper. The positives to take are that we do possess a couple of decent youths at the club.
I think this will be a very interesting window for us and will say a lot about any future ambitions!

Ahmedhodzic
Hamer
Souza
McAtee
Archer
McBurnie
Jebbison

Leave/Sell:
Foderingham
A. Davies
Amissah
Basham
Thomas
Larouci
Fleck
Coulibaly

Remaining players:
Trusty
Egan (OOC)
Robinson
Lowe (OOC)
Norrington-Davies (OOC)
Bogle (OOC)
T. Davies
Slimane
Norwood (OOC)
Osborn (OOC)
Baldock (OOC)
Traore
Brewster
Osula

Youth:
Seriki
Boyes
Freckleton
Arblaster
Neal
Peck
Brooks
Marsh

24/25 Squad:

24/25 Team:

Subs:
GK
Robinson
Norwood
Brewster
Lowe
Bogle
Osborn
There’s no point trying to guess. It will look nothing like this. I suspect half of the out of contract players will stay and we’ll sign 5/6 players.

We definitely won’t sell Hamer/ Souza & Anel. I’d suspect one of them will go & it’s probably Souza out of them all if he continues playing well. The other two haven’t been good enough for premier league clubs to pay us what we’d probably want for them.

There’s no point trying to guess. It will look nothing like this. I suspect half of the out of contract players will stay and we’ll sign 5/6 players.

We definitely won’t sell Hamer/ Souza & Anel. I’d suspect one of them will go & it’s probably Souza out of them all if he continues playing well. The other two haven’t been good enough for premier league clubs to pay us what we’d probably want for them.
Yeah you’re right… who knows what approach the club will take. I personally like to speculate for my own sanity more than anything!
This will be a very interesting window it’ll tell us so much. Watch this space 🍿

Ahmedhodzic
Hamer
Souza
McAtee
Archer
McBurnie
Jebbison

Leave/Sell:
Foderingham
A. Davies
Amissah
Basham
Thomas
Larouci
Fleck
Coulibaly

Remaining players:
Trusty
Egan (OOC)
Robinson
Lowe (OOC)
Norrington-Davies (OOC)
Bogle (OOC)
T. Davies
Slimane
Norwood (OOC)
Osborn (OOC)
Baldock (OOC)
Traore
Brewster
Osula

Youth:
Seriki
Boyes
Freckleton
Arblaster
Neal
Peck
Brooks
Marsh

24/25 Squad:

24/25 Team:

Subs:
GK
Robinson
Norwood
Brewster
Lowe
Bogle
Osborn
Hamer and Souza will be staying and will be excellent under Wilder in the Champ, no one will want to buy them from the Prem, no one would be able to afford them in the Champ, and I can’t see them wanting to go to another champ club. So I’d add them to the 24/25 squad.

Hamer and Souza will be staying and will be excellent under Wilder in the Champ, no one will want to buy them from the Prem, no one would be able to afford them in the Champ, and I can’t see them wanting to go to another champ club. So I’d add them to the 24/25 squad.
I thought Hamer had a relegation release clause, plus he’s 27/28 I think so might push for a move.
I hope you’re right of course, those two in the Champ with Slimane, Arblaster, Davies and Brooks will be very strong… you would think!

If Souza carries on as he is under Wilder I think a premier league club could be interested due to his attributes, potential value & age.

I don’t think the Prince will make the same mistake he made last time. If someone offers enough one of players in the summer they’ll go

I don't think anyone will come in with anything worthwhile for Souza

It will be interesting to see whether Wilder wants to move forward with him. Unpredictable. He very much dictates building the midfield around and I'm not sure we'll want to do that with a player like him, at championship level. I'd prefer Doyle

A positive with Anel, Souza and Hamer is we should be able to keep them. Not as positive as it could be obviously, but they're all of a level to help us back up

One we really do need to keep is Archer. It's not easy to get that sort of quality at the top of the pitch

We spent lots of money on what are apparently decent forwards in
Mcburnie, Archer and Brewster and forgot that we had no one to create chances for them.
Hopefully that is rectified in the next two windows

It will be interesting to see whether Wilder wants to move forward with him. Unpredictable. He very much dictates building the midfield around and I'm not sure we'll want to do that with a player like him, at championship level. I'd prefer Doyle

A positive with Anel, Souza and Hamer is we should be able to keep them. Not as positive as it could be obviously, but they're all of a level to help us back up

One we really do need to keep is Archer. It's not easy to get that sort of quality at the top of the pitch
We don’t get to keep Archer… it’s a glorified loan I’m afraid

That remaining players list and 24/25 team is frightening,even for Championship level

I thought Hamer had a relegation release clause, plus he’s 27/28 I think so might push for a move.
I hope you’re right of course, those two in the Champ with Slimane, Arblaster, Davies and Brooks will be very strong… you would think!

Hamer will return to Holland.

Whatever happens, we need to try and bring people in for next season, in January, where possible. It's going to be a big and complex tasks, whichever way you cut it, given all the moving and unknown parts involved in football - exactly the reason why you shouldn't be putting yourself in this situation, as a football club.

Yes, we may not want many of the players to renew, but they should have been moved on before now if they are surplus to requirements, or not offered new deals (like Fleck).

I've categorised those out of contract (may have missed some of the young ones?). Red being those who'd get rid of, Amber - dependent on circumstances and Green - renew.

RND - assuming he's back from the injury ok I'd offer a new deal as he looked great before his injury.

Amissah - Don't know how highly he is regarded. If he is well thought of then I'd be tempted to play him in some games before the end of the season, if he is to stay and become our no.2
Baldock - Injuries seem more common and he will be 31 in March. I'd only keep him if Bogle does not renew.
Bogle - I'd hold off for now and see how his injuries go, like Baldock. I'd only keep one of the two.
Norwood - possibly a 1 year extension for next year, if the terms weren't too high. Could be useful in the Championship.

Egan - Been poor for some time IMO, even in the Championship the last couple of years. 32 next season

Lowe - Crap
McBurnie - Missing far too often and expensive. I think we can get better value elsewhere

Osborn - He's how I'd imagine I'd look if I was playing for us. Run around a lot and try, but no quality or real idea what he's doing. 30 next season.
Larouci - Do not exercise the option to buy
Fleck - Been poor since March 2020. Pretty insane that he got a new deal. Sad how it's ended for him here as he was outstanding before Covid.
Jebbison - Doesn't seem to want to be here, so let him go.
Coulibally - He exists?
Foderingham - Apparently wanting high wages. Performances haven't been great this season.
Davies - Worse than Wes. On big money.
Basham - Sadly the injury will have finished his career here. A great servant and he will be a big miss, but it's time to move on.

So that's just 1 definite (and even then, that has some strings attached). Looking at the reds, I'd be going out and getting a GK, Left Back (send Thomas and Larouci back in Jan) and a Striker, as a minimum. That'd leave us with something like this, to start next pre-season:

GK - New GK, Amissah?
RB - Bogle/Baldock?
RCB - Anel/Egan?
LCB - Trusty/Robbo
LB - RND/New LB
DM - Souza/Norwood?
RCM - Hamer/Arblaster
LCM - Brooks/Davies
AM - Slimane
ST - Osula/Brewster
ST - New Striker/Traore

That'd mean in the summer we'd need at least another AM, CB, RB, ST and possibly a CM and another GK. Of course, it's possible another youngster may step up - Sachdev, Buyabu or Seriki perhaps the most likely.

Last edited:

Aye
But
Doyle wouldn’t sign afore we proved how poor we are.
Bettis said that if (?!?) relegated we ‘needed’ a (significant) sale - the only (possible ?) players of such value are Anel (?), Souza, Hamer, Archer
The nature / extent of the gerrymandering with Archer makes it far from clear as to whether we could ‘keep’ him (even if we wanted / could afford to).
(Unsurprisingly) there was confusion / conjecture about the “need to sell one” statement as to whether that was the Archer ‘refund’ or in addition to it

Do Villa have a COMPULSORY buy-back on Archer if we're relegated?

I think we can do a deal somehow. Let's me honest. Villa are heading places, will sign new strikers and Archer will be further down the pecking order than he was before

I think Villa will be happy to stick with the 18m we gave them, and maybe renegotiate to increase the sell on clause or something

The only thing that could change matters is an absolutely outstanding end to the season from Archer

They'll have to be a bid accepted though for that and surely we'd want our money back?
My recollection is that the return price was agreed as part of the initial transfer so there's no negotiation required.

Hamer will return to Holland.
Doesn’t seem likely a Dutch club could afford him but might as well do it in Jan if they can so we can use the money for someone else, he’d be a top player in the championship there is no doubt so would be a shame for him to leave and would actually make the Berge ‘wheel and deal’ that was widely praised look like terrible business.

Villa fan that posts in here says so
Archer cannot be compelled to return to Villa if he does not want to, though in theory there are financial risks for him if he does not go back and Villa want him to.

Archer cannot be compelled to return to Villa if he does not want to, though in theory there are financial risks for him if he does not go back and Villa want him to.

Surely the contract between the three parties will have this all covered? There's no point in two parties having an agreement if the third party can make it null and void?

Surely the contract between the three parties will have this all covered? There's no point in two parties having an agreement if the third party can make it null and void?

You cannot enforce a personal services contract by specific performance. Hence you cannot compel a player to honour that agreement by making the move.

of course, if the player refuses that’s a breach of contract and you may well have a damages claim against him, so in practice it never happens.

There might have been a scenario where we went down and Archer would want to stay, if say Villa went down as well, or we won a cup and qualified for Europe, but those scenarios ain’t gonna happen.

didnt we agree to buy archer for 18m with villa buying him back for 20m if we were relegated ? what happens if villa dont want him back ? personally think we should try and keep him if villa dont want to activate the buy back gauranteed 20/25 goals for us in the championship

My recollection is that the return price was agreed as part of the initial transfer so there's no negotiation required.
Return price? Are we still talking about Hamer or Archer? Are you saying we've agreed a release price for Hamer to go to Holland?

Back
Top Bottom