Armchair Manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CoatesyBlade

Reaction score
Now it’s safe to speculate on any future transfers here’s my thoughts on the possibilities.
I don’t think there will be whole sale changes. With that in mind I think 5/6 signings in key positions and the right contract extensions will do the job.
Let me know what you think. ⚔️

GK

Caoimhin KELLEHER – LOAN
Wes – New Contract
Davies

DEF

Carlos AUGUSTO – SIGN – LCB (LB & MID)
Ahmedhodzic
Egan
Baldock
RND
Robinson – New Contract
Bogle
Basham
Lowe
Axel TUANZEBE - FREE
O’Connell – Released
Clark – End of Loan
Stevens – Released

MID

Tommy DOYLE – SIGN
James McAtee – LOAN
Berge
Norwood – New Contract
Osborn – New Contract
Coulibaly
Jason KNIGHT - FREE
Fleck – Release

ATT

Boulaye DIA – SIGN
Ndiaye
McBurnie – New Contract
Brewster
Jebbison – New Contract
Osula - Loan
Sharp – Released / Coach

Starting XI

Kelleher
Ahmedhodzic Egan Augusto
Baldock RND
Berge Doyle McAtee
Ndiaye
Dia

Subs

McBurnie
Brewster / Jebbison
Norwood
Osborn
Coulibaly
Knight
Robinson
Tuanzebe
Bogle
Wes

Now it’s safe to speculate on any future transfers here’s my thoughts on the possibilities.
I don’t think there will be whole sale changes. With that in mind I think 5/6 signings in key positions and the right contract extensions will do the job.
Let me know what you think. ⚔️

GK

Caoimhin KELLEHER – LOAN
Wes – New Contract
Davies

DEF

Carlos AUGUSTO – SIGN – LCB (LB & MID)
Ahmedhodzic
Egan
Baldock
RND
Robinson – New Contract
Bogle
Basham
Lowe
Axel TUANZEBE - FREE
O’Connell – Released
Clark – End of Loan
Stevens – Released

MID

Tommy DOYLE – SIGN
James McAtee – LOAN
Berge
Norwood – New Contract
Osborn – New Contract
Coulibaly
Jason KNIGHT - FREE
Fleck – Release

ATT

Boulaye DIA – SIGN
Ndiaye
McBurnie – New Contract
Brewster
Jebbison – New Contract
Osula - Loan
Sharp – Released / Coach

Starting XI

Kelleher
Ahmedhodzic Egan Augusto
Baldock RND
Berge Doyle McAtee
Ndiaye
Dia

Subs

McBurnie
Brewster / Jebbison
Norwood
Osborn
Coulibaly
Knight
Robinson
Tuanzebe
Bogle
Wes
Only one new midfielder , think we need 3 at least

Only one new midfielder , think we need 3 at least
We’d have 7. Plus Augusto can play midfield and then there’s Brooks and Arblaster waiting in the wings.
Essentially I’m trying to be realistic.
The signings need to be key as I don’t feel we can (or should) have a massive overhaul in the summer.

We’d have 7. Plus Augusto can play midfield and then there’s Brooks and Arblaster waiting in the wings.
Essentially I’m trying to be realistic.
The signings need to be key as I don’t feel we can (or should) have a massive overhaul in the summer.
I wouldnt keep many of our present midfielders , think thats our main area for improving

Osborn, Coulibaly, Fleck, Stevens, A. Davies - are miles off it
Clark, McAtee, Doyle & Khadra will all go back, obviously one already has.
Ndiaye likely to be sold. Berge? Maybe he could go too.
I'd keep Sharp. Why not, can't hurt providing we're not heaping pressure on him being our talisman.

If we want a similar size squad we need to sign 9 players minimum plus new contracts for JR, McBurnie, Wes, Norwood, Sharp bloody busy summer for Steve Bettis! If Ndiaye leaves will need 10 🤯.

Thank god we're going up, I can't imagine where we would be if not

Fleck, Norwood, Stevens, Billy, McBurnie, Robinson, Lowe no where near the level we need to be if we want to stay up.

Would love us to buy Doyle but I think he is Man city through and through. Didn't his dad and grandad play for them?

There's absolutely NO WAY we're getting rid of half the squad.
Hopefully we make 4 quality signings with 1/2 squad filler/potential types.

Any thoughts on the players I highlighted for bids?
Augusto - Monza
Dia - Villerreal (and Senegal)
Kelleher - Liverpool (Loan)

Who do you think we could realistically sign?

Augusto - Monza

Can't see us signing anyone from Serie A. Think we'll be looking in Scandanavia based on the success of Anel.

Would rather sign Johnstone than sign and develop someone else's keeper again.

Would love us to buy Doyle but I think he is Man city through and through. Didn't his dad and grandad play for them?
Two grandads one on his mums side one on his dads

Augusto - Monza

I take your point on being realistic and also you can't do what Forest did unless you have a very wealthy owner and we don't. However, keeping Norwood and Osborn!? Osborn is too injury prone, Norwood only in the role of coming on with twenty minutes to go to shore things up, but the problem there is he still commands a wage and he'll be reasonable money, I'd rather look to someone younger who can push whoever is first choice because Norwood is definitely not going to be first choice next season and as I've said on other related posts, any backup needs to be good enough to play circa 20 games starting because with injuries that's what they may be required to do. Therefore if we're saying Norwood isn't good enough to start 20 games (I am of that belief, some may say differently but in my view they're not watching the same Norwood that I am), maybe more, then it's a risky game to keep him just as a "squad player". That sounds nice but as I say, with injuries and the transfer window stopping reinforcements for months at a time, I wouldn't want to rely on Norwood or Osborn to play regularly.

On Norwood, don't get me wrong, I think he's been one of our best ever signings, he along with Fleck and Stevens and Basham are all legends in my book, but that doesn't mean they're good enough for the toughest league in the world and keeping them rather than signing younger, better players would be a serious mistake in my view. There are some younger cheaper players out there that won't break the bank, Ben Brereton Diaz would be one that's on a free, on the other end of the scale I'd be tempted to offer a deal to Teemu Pukki rather than retain McBurnie even though Pukki is older, I think he'll offer more than McBurnie does, and again I really like McBurnie but he just won't score in the PL and he'll be on decent wages I'm sure. Saying that keeping McBurnie for his defensive role could be invaluable, on that basis alone he's probably worth a deal. Robinson and Fderingham definitely should be offered a new deal.

When we got promoted on any other occasion fans favourites and/or players who've made big contributions in promotion seasons have been sold released. For example under Harry you had Stancliffe quickly released in the new season, he sold Paul Wood who played a key part in the promotion season and he'd only just signed him in January time, Rostron and Benstead released.

Under Warnock Akinbiyi, was sold, others just never played and were sold like Alan Quinn, Steve Kabba, David Unsworth and Paul Iffil. You didn't have the transfer window under Bassett or Warnock and so you could wait and see if players were good enough, if not sell them or loan them. We must get it right this summer recruitment wise/who we offer new contracts too or we're stuffed and no one wants a season like the last season in the PL.

Under Wilder Duffy was released, granted that was aided by the contract fall out. Most stayed and played but they were still under contract and three years younger than now. Only Billy was over 30 from memory.

I take your point on being realistic and also you can't do what Forest did unless you have a very wealthy owner and we don't. However, keeping Norwood and Osborn!? Osborn is too injury prone, Norwood only in the role of coming on with twenty minutes to go to shore things up, but the problem there is he still commands a wage and he'll be reasonable money, I'd rather look to someone younger who can push whoever is first choice because Norwood is definitely not going to be first choice next season and as I've said on other related posts, any backup needs to be good enough to play circa 20 games starting because with injuries that's what they may be required to do. Therefore if we're saying Norwood isn't good enough to start 20 games (I am of that belief, some may say differently but in my view they're not watching the same Norwood that I am), maybe more, then it's a risky game to keep him just as a "squad player". That sounds nice but as I say, with injuries and the transfer window stopping reinforcements for months at a time, I wouldn't want to rely on Norwood or Osborn to play regularly.

On Norwood, don't get me wrong, I think he's been one of our best ever signings, he along with Fleck and Stevens and Basham are all legends in my book, but that doesn't mean they're good enough for the toughest league in the world and keeping them rather than signing younger, better players would be a serious mistake in my view. There are some younger cheaper players out there that won't break the bank, Ben Brereton Diaz would be one that's on a free, on the other end of the scale I'd be tempted to offer a deal to Teemu Pukki rather than retain McBurnie even though Pukki is older, I think he'll offer more than McBurnie does, and again I really like McBurnie but he just won't score in the PL and he'll be on decent wages I'm sure. Saying that keeping McBurnie for his defensive role could be invaluable, on that basis alone he's probably worth a deal. Robinson and Fderingham definitely should be offered a new deal.

When we got promoted on any other occasion fans favourites and/or players who've made big contributions in promotion seasons have been sold released. For example under Harry you had Stancliffe quickly released in the new season, he sold Paul Wood who played a key part in the promotion season and he'd only just signed him in January time, Rostron and Benstead released.

Under Warnock Akinbiyi, was sold, others just never played and were sold like Alan Quinn, Steve Kabba, David Unsworth and Paul Iffil. You didn't have the transfer window under Bassett or Warnock and so you could wait and see if players were good enough, if not sell them or loan them. We must get it right this summer recruitment wise/who we offer new contracts too or we're stuffed and no one wants a season like the last season in the PL.

Under Wilder Duffy was released, granted that was aided by the contract fall out. Most stayed and played but they were still under contract and three years younger than now. Only Billy was over 30 from memory.
Thanks Booker for the input (that's why I started this thread, enjoy the thoughts and speculation)
I don't agree regards Norwood and Osborn. Doyle for me is Norwoods custom fit replacement so hopefully we get him back. But I also think Norwood offers a lot to the squad and can do a good job in the PL. He was our best player in the PL last time with his ball distribution (Quaterback)
And as for Osborn, every team needs players that give a 100% no matter what position or job they are being asked to do. He's great cover for a variety of roles, and a team that's short on numbers need players like him.
McBurnie like the two above will play his part next season. Will he score 20 goals? No! Will he come on and ruffle feathers and chip in with a few goals? Yes I think so. That's why I recommended someone like Dia to do the goalscorer role.
As for the sentiment. That's why for me it's time to say thank you to the likes of Stevens, Fleck, O'Connell and Sharp. Bash remains due to him having another year left and he's cover for Anel.

Signings needed
GK to compete with Wes
CCB to compete with Egan
LCB to compete with JLT.
LWB to compete with RND
Doyle
McAtee on loan
Lfooted midfielder to compete with McAtee.
New contract for Berge or sell + replace if he won't sign.
Same for Ndiaye.
Striker of better quality than McBurnie.
Striker to compete with the new striker.

Berge & Ndiaye must be told to sign a new contract by end of May or they will be sold in June.

If you include Berge & Ndiaye (or their replacements) , that's a minimum of 11 new contracts this summer.

If we keep Wes , Furious , Bogle , Anel , Egan , JLT , RND , Coulibaly , Brewster , Jebbo (10) that's 21.

So we're still short of 4 to make up the 25 - who will those squad-fillers be out of these 10 ?
Lowe ?
Osborn ?
Bash ?
Arblaster ?
Bash ?
Fleck ?
Stevens ?
Norwood ?
Sharp ?
McBurnie ?

And which 6 move out ?

It's worth noting that Norwood had the best stats in the division for most of this season. Sure, he had a drop in form when we had a wobble but it's harsh to say he's not good enough as a back-up. Having said that, I'd only want to offer him 1 more year.

I think money will be tight (relatively speaking) for next season and we need to focus in bringing in permanent signings that are of a good age and who we can develop and loaning a few to give us a chance. Realistically, at best we're going to be in a relegation fight next season. We need players who can scrap and battle. Who can work within our system. Anyone signed permanently must be adaptable enough to play a possession game should we get relegated.

In terms of bringing players in, I don't think it can be overstated how difficult it is for players to come in and fit into our system. This is a huge factor for me when considering whether we offer new contracts.

GK.

Need 3 in the EFL.

Wes is 32 now and unlikely to improve. I don't think he's good enough for the top flight and we certainly need to be looking to the future. I'd want us to be looking to sign someone for the long-term who can at least challenge Wes straight away. The 3rd keeper in the EPL is usually some experienced guy who will probably not play but will be happy.

If they'd both stay on these terms, I'd offer Wes 1 or 2 years as back up/competition and Davies a year as third choice.

So, we'd need:

1. first choice keeper (permanent)
2. Wes
3. Davies

Assimah and Dewhurst go out on loans. We do not give Eastwood another blinking contract!

LWB

I think RND is the long-term solution for LCB. His pace will be invaluable in that position and it's easier to bring in a new LWB than a LCB. We'll likely have Lowe next season, whatever, and unless there's a chance to sell him I think he stays as back up. In terms of first choice, I think it depends on Boyes. If we think Boyes can probably step up in another year then loan him to the Championship and bring someone in on loan.

1. new signing (permanent or loan depending on Boyes)
2. Lowe

LCB

A very tricky position to fill as we've seen. I think RND should focus on this position and be our first choice. Robbo knows the system inside out. I think we offer him a year contract as back-up.

1. RND
2. Robbo

CB

Egan has mad the position his own but I think we've been a little remiss in not bringing in a back up earlier. Touch wood he's both reliable and largely injury free. He's 30 now though so I think we need to bring in a young permanent signing who we can develop and will act as back-up.

1. Egan
2. New permanent signing

RCB

Anel has shown he's likely good enough to step up and Bash has another year left and has done it all before. I'd be tempted, given limited funds, to stick with what we have.

1. Anel
2. Bash

RWB

Furious has shown he's good enough defensively as a started in the top flight. He's limited going forward but given we're going to cede possession to most teams I think the defensive side will be key. Bogle has shown great and dire form but is still young. Given finances, I think we stick with him for another year.

1. Furious
2. Bogle

LCM

I don't think we have anyone at the club who can play this role well. I feel we're likely to have a flexible flat 3 next season, so preferably players who can push further forward when needed. I'd be looking to bring in a player permanently and one on loan. It will depend on the options which would start.

1. new permanent/loan
2. new permanent/loan

CM

In a perfect world I think we look at Doyle. However, while he finished the season strongly he was mixed before then so I don't think we should be paying huge amounts for his service. Certainly nothing more than £10 million as a basic. Norwood has had the best stats in the league for most of this season. Yes, his form fell off a cliff but he played every game. He's no spring chicken so it might just have been fatigue. I think it's worth offering him another year. Arblaster and Neal both have a lot of talent. I'd like to see them get Championship loans.

1. new permanent
2. Norwood

RCM

Berge has shown in the last few games that he's good enough to step up. If he can do that consistently then he'll be a good EPL midfielder. If he's prepared to sign a new contract then I'd be looking to loan a back up who could possibly play across the midfield. If not, then bring in a permanent signing.

1. Berge
2. loan/permanent

ST

Ndiaye has made the support role his own and obviously get the starting peg. A lot then depends on whether he'll sign a new contract or not. If not, the back-up needs to be a permanent signing who can play at this level if needed.

1. Ndiaye
2. Loan/permanent

ST

I think we need a McBurnie type player but I don't think he's been anywhere near good enough on a consistent basis. He's still not reached his peak age for a striker though so I'd be tempted to offer him a year contract as second choice. I feel Jebbo needs games. He's still so raw and needs experience he'll only get by playing. Ditto Osula. I'd want Jebbo to get a good loan in the Championship and Osula get a loan where he starts games.

1. New permanent or loan
2. McBurnie

others

Brewster is unlikely to be worth much until his proves fitness/form so he'd stay on as part of the squad.

which means Fleck, Stevens, Osborn, Sharp, Coulibaly are all released.

That's 9 new signing and it could be argued I'm being generous in keeping some on.

Osborn, Coulibaly, Fleck, Stevens, A. Davies - are miles off it
Clark, McAtee, Doyle & Khadra will all go back, obviously one already has.
Ndiaye likely to be sold. Berge? Maybe he could go too.
I'd keep Sharp. Why not, can't hurt providing we're not heaping pressure on him being our talisman.

If we want a similar size squad we need to sign 9 players minimum plus new contracts for JR, McBurnie, Wes, Norwood, Sharp bloody busy summer for Steve Bettis! If Ndiaye leaves will need 10 🤯.

Thank god we're going up, I can't imagine where we would be if not
Look at S6. That's where we'd be

For me the priority has to be LCB and the midfield. Jack has come on leaps and bounds this season, but I'd like to see competition in this place.

As Sheff Utd, we seem to obsess with strikers but if they don't get the chances, they aren't gonna score. I don't want to see a flat 3 in midfield and 2 strikers up front as even when this worked before JOC's injury, it was hardly the most creative formation. That means a midfield 2 like we've been playing recently with Berge and Doyle, so my first priority is signing Doyle and maybe some others that can play in a central role and possibly as a replacement for Berge, if he leaves this season or next (people have mentioned Scott, Smallbone and O'Brien?). This also means 2 attacking midfielders to support a single striker. This has been Ndiaye and McAtee recently, both of which might not play for us next season so this would be my next priority (ironically I think this was Wilder's intention last time we went up when we signed Robinson and Freeman, but reverted to the flat 3 midfield). MGW if Forest are relegated (and has a relegation clause) would be a nice Ndiaye replacement if we can afford his wages and no one else wants him (as every team can offer better wages I think). Is McAtee ready for the prem? I'd like to see him either permanent or on loan.

As for the strikers, I know it's polarising but I'm a McBurnie fan and I think Brewster, if he can recover from his injury, is good enough as well. Jebbo and Osula may need a loan to get games, so I'd like us to sign another striker. If that striker is better than what we've got then great, but I don't want us to blow our budget on this position like we did the last two seasons in the prem when there's other areas I want us to strengthen more.

For the other positions, I'm generally happy with the WBs and think we just need backup for Egan and Anel, and competition for Wes.

I think money will be tight (relatively speaking) for next season and we need to focus in bringing in permanent signings that are of a good age and who we can develop and loaning a few to give us a chance. Realistically, at best we're going to be in a relegation fight next season. We need players who can scrap and battle. Who can work within our system. Anyone signed permanently must be adaptable enough to play a possession game should we get relegated.

In terms of bringing players in, I don't think it can be overstated how difficult it is for players to come in and fit into our system. This is a huge factor for me when considering whether we offer new contracts.

GK.

Need 3 in the EFL.

Wes is 32 now and unlikely to improve. I don't think he's good enough for the top flight and we certainly need to be looking to the future. I'd want us to be looking to sign someone for the long-term who can at least challenge Wes straight away. The 3rd keeper in the EPL is usually some experienced guy who will probably not play but will be happy.

If they'd both stay on these terms, I'd offer Wes 1 or 2 years as back up/competition and Davies a year as third choice.

So, we'd need:

1. first choice keeper (permanent)
2. Wes
3. Davies

Assimah and Dewhurst go out on loans. We do not give Eastwood another blinking contract!

LWB

I think RND is the long-term solution for LCB. His pace will be invaluable in that position and it's easier to bring in a new LWB than a LCB. We'll likely have Lowe next season, whatever, and unless there's a chance to sell him I think he stays as back up. In terms of first choice, I think it depends on Boyes. If we think Boyes can probably step up in another year then loan him to the Championship and bring someone in on loan.

1. new signing (permanent or loan depending on Boyes)
2. Lowe

LCB

A very tricky position to fill as we've seen. I think RND should focus on this position and be our first choice. Robbo knows the system inside out. I think we offer him a year contract as back-up.

1. RND
2. Robbo

CB

Egan has mad the position his own but I think we've been a little remiss in not bringing in a back up earlier. Touch wood he's both reliable and largely injury free. He's 30 now though so I think we need to bring in a young permanent signing who we can develop and will act as back-up.

1. Egan
2. New permanent signing

RCB

Anel has shown he's likely good enough to step up and Bash has another year left and has done it all before. I'd be tempted, given limited funds, to stick with what we have.

1. Anel
2. Bash

RWB

Furious has shown he's good enough defensively as a started in the top flight. He's limited going forward but given we're going to cede possession to most teams I think the defensive side will be key. Bogle has shown great and dire form but is still young. Given finances, I think we stick with him for another year.

1. Furious
2. Bogle

LCM

I don't think we have anyone at the club who can play this role well. I feel we're likely to have a flexible flat 3 next season, so preferably players who can push further forward when needed. I'd be looking to bring in a player permanently and one on loan. It will depend on the options which would start.

1. new permanent/loan
2. new permanent/loan

CM

In a perfect world I think we look at Doyle. However, while he finished the season strongly he was mixed before then so I don't think we should be paying huge amounts for his service. Certainly nothing more than £10 million as a basic. Norwood has had the best stats in the league for most of this season. Yes, his form fell off a cliff but he played every game. He's no spring chicken so it might just have been fatigue. I think it's worth offering him another year. Arblaster and Neal both have a lot of talent. I'd like to see them get Championship loans.

1. new permanent
2. Norwood

RCM

Berge has shown in the last few games that he's good enough to step up. If he can do that consistently then he'll be a good EPL midfielder. If he's prepared to sign a new contract then I'd be looking to loan a back up who could possibly play across the midfield. If not, then bring in a permanent signing.

1. Berge
2. loan/permanent

ST

Ndiaye has made the support role his own and obviously get the starting peg. A lot then depends on whether he'll sign a new contract or not. If not, the back-up needs to be a permanent signing who can play at this level if needed.

1. Ndiaye
2. Loan/permanent

ST

I think we need a McBurnie type player but I don't think he's been anywhere near good enough on a consistent basis. He's still not reached his peak age for a striker though so I'd be tempted to offer him a year contract as second choice. I feel Jebbo needs games. He's still so raw and needs experience he'll only get by playing. Ditto Osula. I'd want Jebbo to get a good loan in the Championship and Osula get a loan where he starts games.

1. New permanent or loan
2. McBurnie

others

Brewster is unlikely to be worth much until his proves fitness/form so he'd stay on as part of the squad.

which means Fleck, Stevens, Osborn, Sharp, Coulibaly are all released.

That's 9 new signing and it could be argued I'm being generous in keeping some on.
Great detailed response. And I have to say in an ideal World I’d agree on almost every point. I just don’t think we will have the resources to overhaul the squad like this (not in the first year)
So I guess the question is… if we had funds for 4 permanent signings, which positions would you target?
For me it’s GK, LCB, DM, ST

Great detailed response. And I have to say in an ideal World I’d agree on almost every point. I just don’t think we will have the resources to overhaul the squad like this (not in the first year)
So I guess the question is… if we had funds for 4 permanent signings, which positions would you target?
For me it’s GK, LCB, DM, ST
I think that question will depend on whether Ndiaye and Berge will sign a contract or not.

If they do, I'd probably agree with you, except I'd have RND at LCB so it would be LWB. I'd say we could probably get away with a loan striker instead of a permanent though. Could probably get someone better doing it that way. Id be tempted to go:

GK, LWB, LCM, CM

We're just so short of permanent midfielders it must be a priority.

Back
Top Bottom