50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

21/8/1970

The Star revealed that Colin Addison had been dropped from our team to play the home game against Swindon in the next day after he had an argument with coach John Short at training during the week. In those days on Fridays the Star would reveal the local teams line ups for the matches in the next day and it revealed that Bill Dearden would be making his league debut in place of Addison. Geoff Salmons was recalled to the team in place of John Flynn.

Having read the news, I knew I would not be able to see the match at Bramall Lane in the next day as my family along with my maternal grandmother made an overnight car journey to Hopton on Sea, near Great Yarmouth. The journey there at that time took much longer than it would have been now. On the way my dad found somewhere to park so he could have a few hours sleep before resuming the journey.
It seems that you and me need to start a thread on ‘Where I went for my summer holidays’!

It seems that you and me need to start a thread on ‘Where I went for my summer holidays’!
My dad preferred overnight journeys to holiday destinations and having a few hours sleep in the car. We didnt think at the time that it could be dangerous! I have never done that as the driver of the car.

15/8/1970

Orient 3 (Harper, Lazarus 2) Blades 1 (Addison)

My dad decided that Orient was too far for us to go to so he took me to watch Chesterfield v Aston Villa at Saltergate. It was Villa's first ever match in the 3rd tier after getting relegation in the previous season. It was a very warm day and I was stood in the Cross Street end, Kevin Randall and David Pugh (both players in below photo of that match) scored for Chesterfield but Villa scored 3 (McMahon, Rioch 2). My memories of that match was my dad asking the spectators around us who the blond Villa player wearing the number 10 shirt was as he was impressed with him, a spectator near us showed us the line up in the programme and Villa number 10 being Ian Hamilton (when the Blades signed Chico 6 years later, I was excited by the signing remembering him from that match at Saltergate!), my dad pointing out the scoreboard at half time indicating that the Blades were winning 1-0 at Orient and late in the game Chesterfield's keeper, Alan Stevenson, making a good stop from a shot at the Cross Street end but Villa (probably Rioch) netted from the rebound for the 3rd goal.

After the final whistle I didnt get to find out the result of Blades match at Orient, my dad didnt have a radio in his car at the time. When I got home, I was hoping my mum had checked for the Blades score but she didnt so I had to wait until my dad had brought home the Green Un. After tea I spotted a friend (a Wendy fan who lived at the Mason Arms in Dronfield) calling me to come out to play football in the park so I came over to the bottom of the family's garden. I could tell he was looking smug and he was announcing the scores in the same style as Benjamin Bloom "Orient 3 United 1, Wendy 1 Charlton 0". I was gobsmacked that we, being the promotion favourites, had surrendered the half time lead by allowing the relegation favourites to score three past us! Later that evening my dad (I think he had to nip in at work after the match) had come home with the Green Un wondering how to break the shock result to me but I told him that I had alrady known the final score. See photos and report of the match further below.

View attachment 88606
Addison's goal just before half time
View attachment 88607

Mark Lazarus firing in his first of two goals to put Orient 2-1 ahead

View attachment 88608

View attachment 88609
View attachment 88610
View attachment 88611

View attachment 88612

15/8/1970

My dad decided that Orient was too far for us to go to so he took me to watch Chesterfield v Aston Villa at Saltergate. It was Villa's first ever match in the 3rd tier after getting relegation in the previous season. It was a very warm day and I was stood in the Cross Street end, Kevin Randall and David Pugh (both players in below photo of that match) scored for Chesterfield but Villa scored 3 (McMahon, Rioch 2). My memories of that match was my dad asking the spectators around us who the blond Villa player wearing the number 10 shirt was as he was impressed with him, a spectator near us showed us the line up in the programme and Villa number 10 being Ian Hamilton (when the Blades signed Chico 6 years later, I was excited by the signing remembering him from that match at Saltergate!), my dad pointing out the scoreboard at half time indicating that the Blades were winning 1-0 at Orient and late in the game Chesterfield's keeper, Alan Stevenson, making a good stop from a shot at the Cross Street end but Villa (probably Rioch) netted from the rebound for the 3rd goal.

After the final whistle I didnt get to find out the result of Blades match at Orient, my dad didnt have a radio in his car at the time. When I got home, I was hoping my mum had checked for the Blades score but she didnt so I had to wait until my dad had brought home the Green Un. After tea I spotted a friend (a Wendy fan who lived at the Mason Arms in Dronfield) calling me to come out to play football in the park so I came over to the bottom of the family's garden. I could tell he was looking smug and he was announcing the scores in the same style as Benjamin Bloom "Orient 3 United 1, Wendy 1 Charlton 0". I was gobsmacked that we, being the promotion favourites, had surrendered the half time lead by allowing the relegation favourites to score three past us! Later that evening my dad (I think he had to nip in at work after the match) had come home with the Green Un wondering how to break the shock result to me but I told him that I had alrady known the final score. See photos and report of the match further below.

View attachment 88606
View attachment 88607

View attachment 88608

View attachment 88609
View attachment 88610
View attachment 88611

View attachment 88612
15/8/1970

View attachment 88606
View attachment 88607

View attachment 88608

View attachment 88609
View attachment 88610
View attachment 88611

View attachment 88612
As previously posted , I was at the Orient match and was embarrassed to watch our defence run ragged by an a player who didn't look a day under 50 .

Begrudgingly , I had to give top marks to the old Cockney standing behind me who , every time he started a run at our defence , would shout " Dahn't forget to tike yer iron lung wiv yer , Marky ."

22/8/1970

Blades 2 (Woodward, Colquhoun) Swindon Town 1 (Noble)

I was at Hopton caravan park and at around 5pm, without telling my parents (or my grandmother), I made my way to a newsagent near the park. I asked the gentleman behind the counter if he knows the score at Bramall Lane, he pointed at a column of half time scores in the evening paper and it said "Sheffield United 0 Swindon 0" and then he told me that the full time scores will be in the Pink Un (I think) and he would be expecting the the batch of Pink Un to delivered shortly so I stayed in the newsagent until I found out the full time score. When the batch eventually arrived, the gentleman searched for the full time score that mattered to me and then gave me a thumbs up, we had won 2-1. I wasnt bothered about the other scores so I raced back to the caravan to tell my dad the score. My mum was annoyed with me as she was worried thinking I had gone "missing" for too long.

Swindon Headline.jpg
Swindon report 1.jpg
Swindon report 2.jpg
First half action
Woodward Downsborough.jpg
Swindon Horsfield.jpg
Searching for the winning goal
Swindon 2nd half.jpg
Where is VAR when it is needed?
Swindon Where's VAR.jpg
Swindon more frustration.jpg
At last the late winner as Colquhoun beats Peter Noble for the header , both Frank Burrows and World Cup ref Jack Taylor could only watch.
Swindon winner.jpg
1598052707327.png
1598052768812.png

In addition to 05/06 season United had strong starts in 83/84, 88/89 and 89/90 seasons and of course won promotion in each of them.

Sounds as though Orient were a little bit of a bogey team for United in the opening games in the the 70s, they ruined Sabella's debut in 1978. Just like 70/71 we would be departing the second division in 78/79 (as predicted by Harry Haslam at the start of that campaign!!!)

Some good predictions from Howard and Pritchett ... got the top two correct and both Hull and Cardiff went close as 'dark horses'.

I think I'm correct in saying Pritchett was the pig correspondent in those days. To me those prediction just highlight what lengths the Star/Green Un go too to make sure their bias is always towards the pigs. It has to be the Pritchett/Wednesday prediction first before the Howard/United prediction. Even if they did it on alphabetical (reporter or club) then Howard/United should be first.

Perhaps I'm reading into it too much but over the years the Star/Green Un have always done stuff like that. The only time they don't is when they're reporting hooliganism in the city, then it's always without fail United with main billing (although I guess a number of our fans would suggest that is the pecking order off the pitch in Sheffield ;)

22/8/1970

I was at Hopton caravan park and at around 5pm, without telling my parents (or my grandmother), I made my way to a newsagent near the park. I asked the gentleman behind the counter if he knows the score at Bramall Lane, he pointed at a column of half time scores in the evening paper and it said "Sheffield United 0 Swindon 0" and then he told me that the full time scores will be in the Pink Un (I think) and he would be expecting the the batch of Pink Un to delivered shortly so I stayed in the newsagent until I found out the full time score. When the batch eventually arrived, the gentleman searched for the full time score that mattered to me and then gave me a thumbs up, we had won 2-1. I wasnt bothered about the other scores so I raced back to the caravan to tell my dad the score. My mum was annoyed with me as she was worried thinking I had gone "missing" for too long.

View attachment 89298
View attachment 89299
View attachment 89300
First half action
View attachment 89301
View attachment 89302
View attachment 89303
View attachment 89304
View attachment 89305
At last the late winner as Colquhoun beats Peter Noble for the header , both Frank Burrows and World Cup ref Jack Taylor could only watch.
View attachment 89308
View attachment 89311
View attachment 89312

Fair to good recall but a little lacking on the detail. Once your mum had given you a clip around the ear, what did you have for tea and which pyjamas did you wear that night?

22/8/1970

View attachment 89298
View attachment 89299
View attachment 89300
First half action
View attachment 89301
View attachment 89302
View attachment 89303
View attachment 89304
View attachment 89305
View attachment 89308
View attachment 89311
View attachment 89312
The Colquhoun goal photo, my maternal grandfather and his youngest son, then forty one would be sat behind where Jack Taylors head is. In it's self a useless piece of information, but as they are no longer with us, I thought I'd give them a shout. Like many tens of thousands they were red and white through and through. God mi grandad love that season, and remembering he saw Needham, Gillespie and Hagan etc. he rated Currie up there with them.

Throwing my school satchel on the floor and standing on it, behind the bike sheds, to make me tall enough to reach up and snog Kayleigh Marshall, the best looking girl in our class, (who was a Blade btw - so no need to move this post).

She was a precocious girl.

If she, or her many other boyfriends, husbands or partners are reading this. Don’t worry. It wasn’t YOUR Kayleigh Marshall I’m talking about. I changed the name to protect her privacy and spare your feelings.
Kayleigh, oh I never thought I'd miss you
And Kayleigh I thought that we'd always be friends
We said our love would last forever
So how did it come to this bitter end?
(She was called Kay Marshall).
Fixed it for yer.

Our attendance that day against Swindon was 18718. Third highest in the division.

Hull had nearly 21000, although they were playing Middlesbrough who may have travelled with numbers.

The highest was Cardiff at home to Millwall with an impressive 25299.

There are currently 40,000 Sunderland fans who say they've been supporting the Black Cats for over 50 years. There was 16228 at Roker Park for the visit of Watford.

29/8/1970

Norwich 1 (Bennett) Blades 0

The evening before, my family (and my maternal grandmother) were travelling back home from Hopton on sea. We stopped at a cafe near Swaffham (cant remember if it was because we needed something to eat or just were stopping there for toilet). Unfortunately my grandmother fell over a step and cut her head, so my dad took her to a nearby hospital to have the head cut seen to. We all arrived home much later than expected.

It was strange that we went through Norwich less than 24 hours before the Blades were due to play a match there. Could we have stayed at Hopton for another night so that my dad and I could have gone to the match at Carrow Road on the way back home? Would my mum, my 4 year old sister and grandmother be happy about spending a few hours in the Norwich city centre? I think my dad had already booked the holiday for from Saturday to Friday before the 1970/71 fixtures were released.

My dad took me to watch Wendy draw 1-1 at home to Blackburn. Eamonn Rogers scored for Blackburn, then a minute or two later, Mick Prendergast equalised.

Going back to our match at Carrow Road, it was the first ever professional football match that my good mate from boarding school (since 1973) went to! A few years later when I was staying at his house in Gorleston, his dad recalled a funny moment of that match, a thunderbolt of a shot from Alan Woodward hit Norwich's keeper, Kevin Keelan, on the chest which amused the crowd. Here is what Peter Howard reported the moment in the Green Un that night "A Salmons free kick to the far side of the box was played back by Badger and Woodward met it with a ferocious rising drive. Keelan knew nothing about it as the ball smashed against his chest and he was so shaken he had to have treatment".

This week my mate emailed me his recollection of the match (he couldnt remember the goal or the penalty save), " I think I remember Kevin Keelan saving the ball with his chest, and my dad pointing out Alan Hodgkinson and saying ‘he played for England!’ and I was duly impressed! I was right at the front of the old South Stand and vividly remember a Blades player being treated for injury right in front of me. May have been Len Badger. With five minutes to go my dad said ‘let’s go’ and I remember lingering at the top of the stand to watch the remainder of the action. After that my dad realised I was a “stay to the end” fan and didn’t object again! I was hooked on football after that and happily went again the following Wednesday when we played Millwall, another 1-0 win" . He has never seen any photos of the match and tried to ask if any forum members in the "Pink Un" (I think) website if they do have photos of the match, someone replied saying that there was a massive punch up outside the ground before and after the match . Any of you who went to the match remember what the punch ups were about?

Looking at the reports below, it looked that Norwich deserved their win and could have scored more than one goal.

Norwich headline 1.jpg

Norwich report 1.jpg
Norwich report 2.jpg
Norwich report 3.jpg
Norwich report missing.jpg
Norwich report 4.jpg
Norwich report 5.jpg
Norwich report 6.jpg

1598656903167.png
1598656981029.png

Last edited:
1/9/1970

My dad and I went to watch the only 1st division match we went to that season. Huddersfield 1 (Smith) Spurs 1 (Chivers). After the final whistle, fans ran on the pitch (which was quite common in those days) so I did run on the pitch too and I remember looking up to see Terry Poole and Pat Jennings shake hands above me.

2nd division results that evening

1598969352446.png

2/9/1970

Cardiff 1 (Clark) Blades 1 (Woodward)

My family were rocked with the news that my Granduncle Chris (the closest to a grandfather I have known as both my grandfathers died before I was born) was admitted to Walton hospital in Chesterfield and, after tests, the doctors decided that he should stay there for more than a few days.

I remember seeing a different newspaper report that Woody's equaliser from a freekick was a "banana" shot and asked my dad what it had meant so he drew a diagram of the goal to give me a better understanding and I was amused with the description of the shot.

Barnwell was out injured and Barlow took his place. Our line up.. Hodgkinson, Badger, Hemsley, Powell, Colquhoun, Barlow, Woodward, Tudor, Dearden, Currie, Reece. sub Salmons

Cardiff headline.jpg
Cardiff report1.jpg
Cardiff report2.jpg
Cardiff report3.jpg
Cardiff report4.jpg

1599046684189.png
1599046762388.png

5/9/1970

Blades 3 (Woodward, Dearden, Tudor) Bristol City 3 (Galley 2, Gow)

My first visit to Bramall Lane since the 5-1 win against Oxford on 15th April. Since then I went to matches at Saltergate (3 times), S6 (twice), Baseball ground, Millmoor and Field Mill. During the car journey to the Lane I was talking to my dad about my granduncle Chris being in hospital and how worrying it is. As soon as the car approached the London Road/Queens Road/ Wolsey Road traffic lights, my dad confessed to me that he thinks Uncle Chris "will die" which made me feel sad.

We watched the match from the BLUT and it was a shock seeing Hodgkinson gifting John Galley a simple "tap in" in the first half after dropping a simple catch. Early in the second half we conceded another soft goal. Some papers credited it as a second goal by Galley but others gave it as an own goal by Barnwell. Then after Gerry Gow hammered in a third goal for Bristol City, my dad stood up from his seat, put his arms out and in dismay said "Three nil??". Not long after Woody scored a good goal to reduce the arrears. This is how the Green Un that evening described the goal " Just after Gerry Gow had put Bristol City three up, three angry Blades fans were led out of the ground by a policeman. In the 67th minute Woodward brought the biggest cheer yet when he hit a glorious goal from the edge of the box"

Bill Dearden then scored his first league goal for the Blades to make it 3-2. In the final minutes John Tudor (came on as sub for the disappointing Barnwell) fired in the equaliser by volleying in an overhead pass by Ted Hemsley. It was a great fightback! After the game my dad and I were outside the John Street players entrance to see the players coming out and it was the first time I met John Tudor and his wife in person and I am still in touch with the lovely couple! It was surprising to see Eddie Colquhoun and Alan Woodward smoking!

Bristol headline.jpgBristolreport1.jpg
Bristolreport2.jpg
1st half action
Bristol1sthalf.png
Dearden goes close with a header

BristolDeardenheader.jpg
Billy scored the second goal
BristolBillygoal.png
Tudor's equaliser (see Hemsley who made the overhead pass on far left)
Bristol Tudor.jpg

Woody jumps for joy at the equaliser, Bristol City players in dismay

Bristolequaliser.png
1599262931019.png
1599263034984.png

8/9/1970

League Cup 2nd round

Blades 1 (Currie) Leeds 0

What a memorable night! My dad and I were sat in the John Street stand for the match (BLUT must have sold out that night) and there were a group of Wendy players (Sam Ellis and Colin Prophett were two I can remember) sat on the row behind us.

There were two changes to the team from last Saturday's line up. Colin Addison was back and wearing the number 6 shirt replacing John Barnwell, John Tudor took Geoff Salmons' place. Line up was; Hodgkinson, Badger, Hemsley, Powell, Colquhoun, Addison, Woodward, Tudor, Dearden, Currie, Reece.

Mick Jones was made captain for the Leeds side and got a warm welcome from the fans during the toss up before the kick off. Amazingly, the Blades attacked from the first minute and several times they were close to taking the lead starting with John Tudor's effort hitting the bar and Leeds defence were all sixes and sevens and I turned round to look at the reactions on Wendy players faces, they were stunned and shaking their heads at seeing how much Leeds struggled at taking control of the match.

On the hour, it seemed that the situation had calmed down but TC then picked up the ball in the centre circle, saw a gap for him to make a solo run before firing a low shot past Gary Sprake to break the deadlock. I still remember the joy and turning round to look at the reactions of the Wendy players, they did applaud the goal and Sam Ellis gave me a thumbs up. Hodgy was in good form that night so it was thought that his poor game against Bristol City a few days earlier would be an "one off". Addison had a good goal disallowed and fans were asking why it had been disallowed. At the end of the game the Blades players were given a standing ovation.

Leeds headline 1.jpg
Leeds report1.jpgLeeds report 2.jpg

Leeds headline 2.jpg
Leeds comments 1.jpg
Leeds comments 2.jpg
Leeds photo.png
Leeds headlines.png

Last edited:
5/9/1970

My first visit to Bramall Lane since the 5-1 win against Oxford on 15th April. Since then I went to matches at Saltergate (3 times), S6 (twice), Baseball ground, Millmoor and Field Mill. During the car journey to the Lane I was talking to my dad about my granduncle Chris being in hospital and how worrying it is. As soon as the car approached the London Road/Queens Road/ Wolsey Road traffic lights, my dad confessed to me that he thinks Uncle Chris "will die" which made me feel sad.

We watched the match from the BLUT and it was a shock seeing Hodgkinson gifting John Galley a simple "tap in" in the first half after dropping a simple catch. Early in the second half we conceded another soft goal. Some papers credited it as a second goal by Galley but others gave it as an own goal by Barnwell. Then after Gerry Gow hammered in a third goal for Bristol City, my dad stood up from his seat, put his arms out and in dismay said "Three nil??". Not long after Woody scored a good goal to reduce the arrears. This is how the Green Un that evening described the goal " Just after Gerry Gow had put Bristol City three up, three angry Blades fans were led out of the ground by a policeman. In the 67th minute Woodward brought the biggest cheer yet when he hit a glorious goal from the edge of the box"

Bill Dearden then scored his first league goal for the Blades to make it 3-2. In the final minutes John Tudor (came on as sub for the disappointing Barnwell) fired in the equaliser by volleying in an overhead pass by Ted Hemsley. It was a great fightback! After the game my dad and I were outside the John Street players entrance to see the players coming out and it was the first time I met John Tudor and his wife in person and I am still in touch with the lovely couple! It was surprising to see Eddie Colquhoun and Alan Woodward smoking!

View attachment 90570View attachment 90571
View attachment 90572
1st half action
View attachment 90573

View attachment 90574
View attachment 90575
View attachment 90576

View attachment 90581
View attachment 90583
View attachment 90584
After the saves from Hodgy in the previous game, you could have spared me the details of Bristol City’s first 2 goals!

Does anyone think Jagielka,s goal against Leeds in the league cup 2003 correct me if I have put the wrong year? is very
Similar to Tony Currie,s goal against Leeds in 1970 ?.That Leeds Team was a lot better than 2003 one.

Does anyone think Jagielka,s goal against Leeds in the league cup 2003 correct me if I have put the wrong year? is very
Similar to Tony Currie,s goal against Leeds in 1970 ?.That Leeds Team was a lot better than 2003 one.
November 2002. His goal was more like TC's against Liverpool in October 1971, TC's goal against Leeds in August 1970 wasnt really the same as Jags in 2002. TC picked the ball up in the centre circle and ran with it for about 20 yards before hitting a low shot.

Peter Howard said in the following Saturday's Green Un that Revie feared Woody so he told left back Terry Cooper to stick with him throughout the match and cut down on his usual overlapping runs. He also told the players to stop Woody from getting the ball on the right. This had left space for TC to exploit the gap on the right centre and getting his goal!

You are correct as always Silent Blade.i saw Tony Currie.s goal against Liverpool on tv in Sydney Australia.
Missed out of all those great games at Bramall Lane. Came back 1977 just in time to watch our massive decline.

You are correct as always Silent Blade.i saw Tony Currie.s goal against Liverpool on tv in Sydney Australia.
Missed out of all those great games at Bramall Lane. Came back 1977 just in time to watch our massive decline.

5/9/1970

View attachment 90570View attachment 90571
View attachment 90572
1st half action
View attachment 90573

View attachment 90574
View attachment 90575
View attachment 90576

View attachment 90581
View attachment 90583
View attachment 90584
The bottom photo is how I’ll always remember that match.

9/9/1970

Watched Wendy play FA Cup winners, Chelsea in the League Cup. Peter Osgood scored for Chelsea and Jackie Sinclair equalised for Wendy. A draw meant they have to play a replay at Stamford Bridge.

Back
Top Bottom