50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

12/9/1970

Millwall 0 Blades 0 (Abandoned after 24 minutes)

1599865516238.png

My dad wasnt keen on going to a match that day so my twin uncles took me to watch Wendy v QPR (highlights of the match were shown on MOTD that evening). It was a lovely sunny day in S6 and looking from the North Stand I kept looking for updates of our score on the scoreboard at the bottom of the South Stand (Score updates of Blades match were every 15 minutes throughout the match). At 3.15 pm the scoreboard man had put up 0-0 for our match, no change at 3.30pm. During half time the scoreboard man then were putting up the half time scores for 1st and 2nd division matches but took off the 0-0 score for the Millwall v Blades match which puzzled me. I asked my uncles why the scores for our match were taken off from the scoreboard, my uncles shrugged their shoulders.

In the 2nd half Harold Wilcockson scored the only goal of the match (video below) and not long after this, my uncles decided that we leave the ground to take me back to my grandmother's. I didnt mind leaving the match before the end of the game but when it came to Blades matches, I always wanted to stay to the end. On leaving my seat, I had another look at the scoreboard and our score wasnt showing so for the last time I asked my uncles if they heard what had happened at Millwall and their response was like Shrek's answer to the donkey's question "Are we there yet?".

When we got back to my grandmother's my uncles (cant remember how they found out) then realised that Blades match at Millwall got abandoned after 24 minutes because of torrential rain. At first I didnt really understand what it had meant that a match got abandoned despite that I knew for months what it had meant that a match is postponed.

Looking at our lowly position (2nd bottom) in the 2nd division table in the next morning's papers didnt make happy reading. Don Revie, Leeds players and fans who were at the Lane 5 days earlier would be thinking "how were Leeds outclassed by a team currently in 2nd bottom position of the 2nd division table?"

1599867567710.png

1599867633002.png

12/9/1970

View attachment 91410

My dad wasnt keen on going to a match that day so my twin uncles took me to watch Wendy v QPR (highlights of the match were shown on MOTD that evening). It was a lovely sunny day in S6 and looking from the North Stand I kept looking for updates of our score on the scoreboard at the bottom of the South Stand (Score updates of Blades match were every 15 minutes throughout the match). At 3.15 pm the scoreboard man had put up 0-0 for our match, no change at 3.30pm. During half time the scoreboard man then were putting up the half time scores for 1st and 2nd division matches but took off the 0-0 score for the Millwall v Blades match which puzzled me. I asked my uncles why the scores for our match were taken off from the scoreboard, my uncles shrugged their shoulders.

In the 2nd half Harold Wilcockson scored the only goal of the match (video below) and not long after this, my uncles decided that we leave the ground to take me back to my grandmother's. I didnt mind leaving the match before the end of the game but when it came to Blades matches, I always wanted to stay to the end. On leaving my seat, I had another look at the scoreboard and our score wasnt showing so for the last time I asked my uncles if they heard what had happened at Millwall and their response was like Shrek's answer to the donkey's question "Are we there yet?".

When we got back to my grandmother's my uncles (cant remember how they found out) then realised that Blades match at Millwall got abandoned after 24 minutes because of torrential rain. At first I didnt really understand what it had meant that a match got abandoned despite that I knew for months what it had meant that a match is postponed.

Looking at our lowly position (2nd bottom) in the 2nd division table in the next morning's papers didnt make happy reading. Don Revie, Leeds players and fans who were at the Lane 5 days earlier would be thinking "how were Leeds outclassed by a team currently in 2nd bottom position of the 2nd division table?"

View attachment 91412

View attachment 91413

Looking at those scores. Bristol City were 2 up against Hull and were pulled back to 3-3.

After the events at the Lane the previous week their fans must have gone into meltdown.

12/9/1970

View attachment 91410

View attachment 91412

View attachment 91413

Looking at those scores. Bristol City were 2 up against Hull and were pulled back to 3-3.

After the events at the Lane the previous week their fans must have gone into meltdown.

14/9/1970

Millwall 1 (Possee) Blades 2 (Colquhoun, Currie)

Unlike nowadays, this abandoned match got rearranged to be played 2 days later! I think I found out the score and scorers in the next morning before going to school. The win gave us a good lift up the league table!

MillwallEddie.png

Millwall headline.jpg

Millwall report 1.jpg
Millwall report2.jpg

Millwall report 3.jpg

1600038937042.png

19/9/1970

Blades 1 (Dearden) Middlesbrough 1 (Hickton)

Two days earlier I learned that my Granduncle Chris had passed away at Walton Hospital, as both my grandfathers died before I was born, "Uncle Chris" was the nearest to a grandfather I had known and I had visited him at his house weekly since I was a baby. It was my first experience knowing that I wouldnt again see a family member I was close to.

I was sat with my dad in the BLUT. Before the match my dad pointed to John Hickton's name on the line ups at the back of the match programme and told me that John used to play for Wendy. The Yorkshire TV cameras were present on a scaffolding on the cricket area and it was my first experience of watching a Blades match knowing that highlights of the match would be shown on YTV in the next day.

It was a frustrating day and Boro were proving to be tough opponents. In the 2nd half Dearden scored after good work by Woody (his goal can be seen from 1 minute in the below video) but Hickton equalised to deny us a win. After the game my dad bought me an autograph book from the new club shop. The first player to sign my autograph book was Boro's winger Derrick Downing who was the first player to come out of the players entrance to have a chat with a group of people. I learned years later that he is from Doncaster and thinking back to when I got his autograph on that day, the group he was talking to were probably his friend/ relatives who made the short trip from Doncaster to see Derrick play.

Boroheadline.jpg
Bororeport1.jpg
Bororeport2.jpg
Bororeport3.jpg
BoroDearden.jpg
Boroheadline.jpgBororeport1.jpgBororeport2.jpgBororeport3.jpgBoroDearden.jpg
BoroAddison.jpg
Boro Currie.jpg
George Smith, Eddie Colquhoun and John Hickton
1600470920032.png

50 years ago I was an embryo.

49 years on i'm a pain in the arse.

26/9/1970

Watford 0 Blades 0

Hodgkinson, Badger, Hemsley, Powell, Colquhoun, Barlow, Woodward, Tudor, Dearden, Currie, Salmons.

Watford report.jpg

WatfordStar report.jpg

In the papers it revealed that Alex Stepney, Paddy Crerand, Ian Ure and Nobby Stiles were dropped from the 1st team after Man U lost 4-0 at Ipswich in the previous week and they were to play in the reserves at Bramall Lane. My dad suggested that going to watch Blades v Man U reserves would be more interesting than going to Saltergate or S6 so I agreed to this. The match ended in a 0-0 draw (see line up below)

Man U reserves.jpg

I was interested in seeing Paddy Buckley for the first time because I was curious to see what kind of a player he is since my dad dismissed him as being "too fat" to play for the 1st team when I was looking at the 1969-70 squad photo 8 or 9 months earlier. During the match I thought he was showing a lot of enthusiasm and was one of the better players in a match that had four internationals playing.

After the match I was keen on getting autographs of the "four" outside the players entrance in John Street, but there was quite a crowd making it difficult for me to get near to the players who were making their way to step in the club coach. I noticed one or two young fans getting into the coach and, being an inexperienced autograph hunter, I thought it was ok for me to get into the coach. I spotted Alex Stepney in the rear seats and he was happy to sign my autograph book. I then turned round to look for the other three but Paddy Crerand, standing up near the entrance, then said more than a few words to me, I didnt understand what he was saying so I asked him to sign my book but was surprised to see him saying "No". I looked at my dad who was outside looking through the coach entrance and I could tell he was angry with Crerand. Then to my surprise I saw Nobby Stiles and Ian Ure angrily telling Crerand off (I didnt realise what they were saying until my dad told me afterwards). Both Stiles and Ure signed my book without any problems.

Four years later seeing Crerand on the World Cup panel on ITV, my dad reminded me of how Crerand talked down to me and how Stiles and Ure told him off for belittling me. No surprise my dad thought Crerand was a terrible tv pundit!

1601076695038.png
1601076738260.png

30/9/1970

Portsmouth 1 (Munks) Blades 5 (Dearden, Woodward 3, Reece)

1. Crawford
2. Badger
3. Hemsley
4. Powell
5. Tudor
6. Barlow
7. Woodward
8. Salmons
9. Dearden
10. Currie
11. Reece

I dont think I was aware at the time that Colquhoun and Hodgkinson were ruled out of the match due to injury (a worry for us as we were facing Wendy in 3 days time) with Tudor playing at centre back (he played in that position quite a few times when he was at Coventry City) and that Graeme Crawford played in goal (his 2nd 1st team match). It was a surprise to me when I found out about this many years later. I remember being unable to sleep in bed wanting to know the score so I came downstairs to see my dad just arriving home after a night out. He told me that we had won 5-1 which was a delightful surprise and I was aware at the time that we scored 5 past Portsmouth in both league games in the previous season. My dad added that we have climbed up the league table fast.

Pompey report.jpg

120492173_751952865363857_4985520574292525742_n (2).jpg
Pompey Star 2.jpg

1601419988291.png
1601420052393.png

30/9/1970

Portsmouth 1 (Munks) Blades 5 (Dearden, Woodward 3, Reece)

1. Crawford
2. Badger
3. Hemsley
4. Powell
5. Tudor
6. Barlow
7. Woodward
8. Salmons
9. Dearden
10. Currie
11. Reece

I dont think I was aware at the time that Colquhoun and Hodgkinson were ruled out of the match due to injury (a worry for us as we were facing Wendy in 3 days time) with Tudor playing at centre back (he played in that position quite a few times when he was at Coventry City) and that Graeme Crawford played in goal (his 2nd 1st team match). It was a surprise to me when I found out about this many years later. I remember being unable to sleep in bed wanting to know the score so I came downstairs to see my dad just arriving home after a night out. He told me that we had won 5-1 which was a delightful surprise and I was aware at the time that we scored 5 past Portsmouth in both league games in the previous season. My dad added that we have climbed up the league table fast.

View attachment 93427

View attachment 93428
View attachment 93429

View attachment 93430
View attachment 93432

love it.

Silent Blade.you must have got all the newspapers from 1970-71 the star green un. I would love to purchase some.
Can you buy the from Sheffield archives I think that is on Shoreham Street?

Silent Blade.you must have got all the newspapers from 1970-71 the star green un. I would love to purchase some.
Can you buy the from Sheffield archives I think that is on Shoreham Street?
Got the 1970-71 scrapbook from the Cherry Street car park jumble sale a few years ago (think it was on a pre-season Open Day). I used to go to the Central Library to look at Morning Telegraph/Star/Green Un reports on microfilm. Not done that for a long time. I have been to Sheffield Archives on Shoreham Street only to look for more info about my family tree. Dont think they have Green Un/Star there?

3/10/1970

Blades 3 (Colquhoun, Deaden, Tudor) Wendy 2 (Craig/Colquhoun o.g, Sinclair)

Along with my dad and my cousin, we were sat in the middle of BLUT. Hodgkinson and Colquhoun were ruled to be fit for the first competitive Sheffield match I saw after missing the 5-1 win at Portsmouth three days earlier. Tudor was named sub. Early in the game, we had a free kick on the right side, Woody aimed it for Colquhoun to rise like a Salmon inside the left of the box and head the ball firmly past Grummitt for our first goal of the season at the Kop End.

1601678277699.png

Not long after, we increased our lead after Dearden headed in a Woody corner

Wendy Dearden goal.jpg
Wendy Dearden.jpg

Rest of the first half action

Wendy 1st half.png

Just after half time, Wendy pulled a goal back after a shot was deflected off Colquhoun's leg which wrongfooted our defence and Hodgy. Some papers credited the goal to Tommy Craig.

Wendy craig.jpeg

Not long after, Jackie Sinclair broke through receiving a pass, Hodgy came out of the goal and Sinclair calmly rolled in the equaliser. I remember there were quite a few Wendy fans celebrating in the BLUT as I slunked back to my seat and seeing my glum cousin sitting forward with his head resting on his right hand and his right elbow on his knee.

Wendy Sinclair.jpeg

Tudor came on the field replacing Reece and not long after he scored the winning goal but I missed seeing the ball enter the net. His shot wasnt a clean strike but the fans in front of me stood up blocking my view of the shot and in a space I saw Grummitt turning his head to his right shoulder and I could see that he was fearing the worst and then there were wild celebrations all around the ground.

Wendy Tudor.jpg

Wendy celebration (2).jpg
Wendy celebrations.png
I dont really remember much on events for the rest of the match but a Wendy fan at my work recalls that Tudor nearly made it 4-2 when his acrobatic shot hit the woodwork.

Rest of the 2nd half action

Wendy 2nd half.jpg

Wendy Reece.jpg

1601679939692.png

1601679988159.png

Feeling saaad, feeling bluuue
United twwooo Wednesday twwooo
THEN
onto the pitch came King Tudor, hurray , hurray
onto the pitch came King Tudor, hurray, hurray
he scored a goal and that was it
the Shoreham street they had a fit
and we all went mad as King Tudor scored a goal
HURRAY, HURRAY, HURRAY

Oops showing my bleeding age. your correct Silent Blade. I blame it on all this excitement signing Brewster.

Brilliant stuff Silent. What a happy day that was, Bert's second Sheffield Derby.

7/10/1970

League Cup 3rd round

Spurs 2 (Pearce, Chivers) Blades 1 (Hemsley)

Teams; Jennings, Kinnear, Knowles, Mullery, England, Beal, Gilzean, Perryman, Chivers, Peters, Morgan. Sub Pearce (for Morgan)

Hodgkinson, Badger, Hemsley, Powell, Colquhoun, Barlow, Woodward, Tudor, Dearden, Currie, Salmons. Sub Addison (unused)

Highlights of the match were shown on BBC Sportsnight and I only discovered that in the next morning. I was disappointed that my mum didnt allow my dad to wake me up to watch the highlights as I had school in the next day. My dad said that we played really well and were unlucky to lose. I have never seen any footage of the match and was hoping that the BBC MOTD video of Blades matches (produced in 1991) would show some footage but nothing in it :(

Looking at the match report the below photo was probably the first goal (Pearce)

Spurs goal.png

Spurs headline.jpg
Spurs report.jpg

7/10/1970

League Cup 3rd round

Spurs 2 (Pearce, Chivers) Blades 1 (Hemsley)

Teams; Jennings, Kinnear, Knowles, Mullery, England, Beal, Gilzean, Perryman, Chivers, Peters, Morgan. Sub Pearce (for Morgan)

Hodgkinson, Badger, Hemsley, Powell, Colquhoun, Barlow, Woodward, Tudor, Dearden, Currie, Salmons. Sub Addison (unused)

Highlights of the match were shown on BBC Sportsnight and I only discovered that in the next morning. I was disappointed that my mum didnt allow my dad to wake me up to watch the highlights as I had school in the next day. My dad said that we played really well and were unlucky to lose. I have never seen any footage of the match and was hoping that the BBC MOTD video of Blades matches (produced in 1991) would show some footage but nothing in it :(

Looking at the match report the below photo was probably the first goal (Pearce)

View attachment 94355

View attachment 94356
View attachment 94357
Bert went, got back to Pond St at about 2 in the morning.

I remember watching the highlights on bbc.after the match. Alan Mullery was interviewed.
He was very arrogant well is only Sheff Utd with a smirk on his face. we can team like them.

Back
Top Bottom