50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

14/6/1970

Quarter Finals

England 2 (Mullery, Peters) West Germany 3 (Beckenbauer, Seeler, Muller)

Brazil 4 (Rivelino, Tostao 2, Jairzinho) Peru 2 (Gallardo, Cubillas)

Mexico 1 (Gonzalez) Italy 4 (Guzman o.g, Riva 2, Rivera)

Soviet Union 0 Uruguay 1 (Esparrago)

I recall reading in the morning papers that the only time in history Germany/West Germany had beaten England was in 1968.

Not sure why the family didnt travel to my grandmother's in Shiregreen as we usually did after Sunday lunch but anyway I watched the match at home with my dad. I remember my granduncle Chris (the closest to a grandfather I have known as both my grandfathers died before I was born) popping in my house, after walking from the other side of Dronfield valley, to drop off his football coupons (my dad was a pools collector for Littlewoods and Vernons) before heading off to the Mason Arms. He said to me "England will win 2-0!"

From the 1966 World Cup final teams, George Cohen had retired through injury in 1968 and Keith Newton gets the number 2 shirt, Ray Wilson last played for England in 1968 and the number 3 shirt went to Terry Cooper. Roger Hunt last played for England in 1969 and Francis Lee gets his place. Nobby Stiles (Alan Mullery in his place) and Jack Charlton (Brian Labone) were part of the 1970 World Cup squad but have become back up players. The rest (Gordon Banks, Bobby Moore, Alan Ball , Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst) were all expected to start the quarter final match but as the teams came out of the tunnel to go on the pitch, my dad and I were shocked to see Peter Bonetti playing in goal and then the commentator mentioned that Banks had got ill and got ruled out of the match.

For West Germany , Hans Tilkowski last played in 1967 and Sepp Maier gets his place, Lothar Emmerich played only 5 games for West Germany in 1966, played in the World Cup final but was never picked again, Hannes Lohr gets the left winger spot. Horst Hotteges, Karl-Heinz Schnellinger, Wolfgang Overath, Franz Beckenbauer and Uwe Seeler (also played in 1958 and 1962 World cups) were the 5 from the 1966 team that started the 1970 match. Willi Schulz, the sweeper in 1966, came on as sub in 1970 after half time replacing Hotteges. Siggi Held, Helmut Haller (had injuries prior to the 1970 finals) and Wolfgang Weber were the three from the 1966 team that were back up players in 1970. The new players (along with Maier and Lohr) were Klaus Fichtel, Berti Vogts, Reinhard Libuda and Gerd Muller.

A few years ago I watched the whole match on you tube (video now no longer available) and there were interesting observations. We were easily the better side and should have won the match after 90 minutes. I have seen criticisms of the decision to take off Bobby Charlton and many thought it had happened when we were winning 2-0 but that is incorrect because he was taken off after Beckenbauer pulled a goal back. In that you tube video I could see signs of Charlton not having much energy left to last the final 20 minutes. His replacement Colin Bell was a fit and energetic player and gave problems to the Germans, I thought he was England's best player for the rest of the game including extra time. Yes, Bonetti should have stopped Beckenbauer's shot but he did make some good saves in the match. The biggest turning points were Uwe Seeler's equaliser and the introduction of sub Jurgen Grabowki (on for Libuda). I still am debating whether Seeler's equaliser was a well executed back header (that went over Bonetti and dipped quickly under the bar) or a complete fluke. I thought Brian Labone was England's worst player as his poor clearance went straight to Schnellinger who then hit long for Seeler's equaliser and as for Muller's winner, Labone was ball watching.

I was really upset at the defeat and cried although I now do not have the same strong feelings for England as I did in 1970.

17/6/1970

Italy 4 (Boninsegna, Burgnich, Riva, Rivera) West Germany 3 (Schnellinger, Muller 2)

Uruguay 1 (Cubilla) Brazil 3 (Clodoaldo, Jairzinho, Rivelino)

Watched the highlights in the next day. Both great games and had quality goals.

21/6/1970

World Cup final

Brazil 4 (Pele, Gerson, Jairzinho, Carlos Alberto) Italy 1 (Boninsegna)

Watched the final at my grandmother's in Hartley Brook Road with my dad and twin uncles. I was cheering for Brazil but my dad wanted Italy to win.

Still clearly remember Pele's opening goal, Italy's equaliser and the brilliant goal by Carlos Alberto (didnt realise how good the build up was until years later). It was an enjoyable World Cup and Brazil deserved to win it.

21/6/1970

World Cup final

Brazil 4 (Pele, Gerson, Jairzinho, Carlos Alberto) Italy 1 (Boninsegna)

Watched the final at my grandmother's in Hartley Brook Road with my dad and twin uncles. I was cheering for Brazil but my dad wanted Italy to win.

Still clearly remember Pele's opening goal, Italy's equaliser and the brilliant goal by Carlos Alberto (didnt realise how good the build up was until years later). It was an enjoyable World Cup and Brazil deserved to win it.

Silent Blade. I am living for the here, now and future and went to my first Blades match in 1972 with my Grandad on Grandma's season ticket as she told him to take me to get the bug. Retro post's good. I should post on Bert's old photo's for no reason. I have a John Macphail signed £1 note in my hardback album. I want to see us in Europe before too long. That's my dream😎

Silent Blade. I am living for the here, now and future and went to my first Blades match in 1972 with my Grandad on Grandma's season ticket as she told him to take me to get the bug. Retro post's good. I should post on Bert's old photo's for no reason. I have a John Macphail signed £1 note in my hardback album. I want to see us in Europe before too long. That's my dream😎
John McPhail, loved watching him. Bit like Egan, made the game look easy. Hard man too.

My mate was in the same school team as Jimmy House, he said he was way ahead of the rest of the team and expected him to become a professional. But for some reason the professional game wasn't for him, I think he only ever played in the youth team for us no idea what happened to him after that.

My mate was in the same school team as Jimmy House, he said he was way ahead of the rest of the team and expected him to become a professional. But for some reason the professional game wasn't for him, I think he only ever played in the youth team for us no idea what happened to him after that.
Jimmy was at the 1971 promotion reunion held at the Lane in 2011.

1/8/1970

Watney Cup 1st round. Match kicked off at 7.30pm on Saturday night

Aldershot 0 Blades 6 (Currie 2, Addison, Woodward 2, Reece)

1. Hodgkinson
2. Badger
3. Hemsley
4. Flynn
5. Colquhoun
6. Powell
7. Woodward
8. Barnwell
9. Addison
10. Currie
11. Reece

Subs Barlow and Dearden

Aldershot.jpg

The other 3 Watney Cup 1st round matches (all kicked off at 3pm)

Reading 2 Man U 3
Fulham 3 Derby 5
Peterborough 0 Hull 4

The Watney Mann Invitation Cup (normally referred to as simply the Watney Cup) was a short-lived English football tournament held in the early 1970s.

It was held before the start of the season, and was contested by the teams that had scored the most goals in each of the four divisions of the Football League the previous season who had not been promoted or admitted to one of the European competitions.Two teams from each division took part, making eight participants in total.

The competition was a straight knockout format, each match was a one-off with no replays. The final took place at the home ground of one of the finalists, rather than a neutral venue.

The competition was so named thanks to a sponsorship deal with the Watney Mann brewery; the first tournament for English Football League clubs to sell its naming rights.The tournament ran four times, from 1970 to 1973, before being discontinued.

From the second season of the competition, the off-side law was applied from the edge of the penalty areas only (instead of the half-way line).This measure was designed to reduce midfield congestion and promote more goals, at a time when defences were becoming much better organised.

30/7/1970

Swansea 2 Blades 3 (Woodward 2, Reece). I dont remember being aware of the friendly. Looking at Swansea's squad list, it is interesting that Len Allchurch (left us in 1965) was still playing.

Newspaper cutting for that game Silent and it shows Len Allchurch didn't play in this particular game.

'Reece who shone in attack with useful assistance from new signing John Barnwell'

That didn't quite work out.

1/8/1970

Watney Cup 1st round. Match kicked off at 7.30pm on Saturday night

Aldershot 0 Blades 6 (Currie 2, Addison, Woodward 2, Reece)

1. Hodgkinson
2. Badger
3. Hemsley
4. Flynn
5. Colquhoun
6. Powell
7. Woodward
8. Barnwell
9. Addison
10. Currie
11. Reece

Subs Barlow and Dearden

View attachment 87079

The other 3 Watney Cup 1st round matches (all kicked off at 3pm)

Reading 2 Man U 3
Fulham 3 Derby 5
Peterborough 0 Hull 4

The Watney Mann Invitation Cup (normally referred to as simply the Watney Cup) was a short-lived English football tournament held in the early 1970s.

It was held before the start of the season, and was contested by the teams that had scored the most goals in each of the four divisions of the Football League the previous season who had not been promoted or admitted to one of the European competitions.Two teams from each division took part, making eight participants in total.

The competition was a straight knockout format, each match was a one-off with no replays. The final took place at the home ground of one of the finalists, rather than a neutral venue.

The competition was so named thanks to a sponsorship deal with the Watney Mann brewery; the first tournament for English Football League clubs to sell its naming rights.The tournament ran four times, from 1970 to 1973, before being discontinued.

From the second season of the competition, the off-side law was applied from the edge of the penalty areas only (instead of the half-way line).This measure was designed to reduce midfield congestion and promote more goals, at a time when defences were becoming much better organised.

Famous headline from the Sunday Mirror

'It's Currie and Reece'.

'A double helping of Currie and Reece was too hot for little Aldershot in the Watney Cupo last night'.

5/8/1970

Watney Cup semi final

Derby 1 (McGovern) Blades 0

1. Hodgkinson
2. Badger
3. Hemsley
4. Flynn
5. Colquhoun
6. Powell
7. Woodward
8. Barnwell
9. Addison
10. Currie
11. Reece

Sub Dearden

It was my second away match. The route to Derby was different as it is nowadays because I remember being in my dad's car as we were going through the village of Denby. The A38 from Derby to Mansfield was completed a few years later.

My memories of the match were standing behind the goal (see red circle in below photo), Hodgy's despairing dive failing to stop a stunning shot by John McGovern, we wore black socks with red tops, John Barnwell's trick by feinting to kick a ball making an opponent who tried to close him down turn his back (and jumping up) leaving space for Barnwell to push the ball into and then finding a team mate to pass the ball to. It was a clever move that I copied over the years when playing football at school or on a park near my home. At the time I thought Barnwell was going to be our key player for our promotion push!

Watney Cup 1970.png

You can see McGovern's goal from 0 mins 28 seconds in below video

In the other semi final saw the first ever penalty shootout after Hull and Man U drew 1-1. George Best was the first scorer in the shootout and Denis Law was the first to miss, Ken Wagstaffe then missed for Hull and Ian McKechnie missed Hull's 5th penalty making Man U win by 4-3 on penalties

5/8/1970

Watney Cup semi final

Derby 1 (McGovern) Blades 0

1. Hodgkinson
2. Badger
3. Hemsley
4. Flynn
5. Colquhoun
6. Powell
7. Woodward
8. Barnwell
9. Addison
10. Currie
11. Reece

Sub Dearden

It was my second away match. The route to Derby was different as it is nowadays because I remember being in my dad's car as we were going through the village of Denby. The A38 from Derby to Mansfield was completed a few years later.

My memories of the match were standing behind the goal (see red circle in below photo), Hodgy's despairing dive failing to stop a stunning shot by John McGovern, we wore black socks with red tops, John Barnwell's trick by feinting to kick a ball making an opponent who tried to close him down turn his back (and jumping up) leaving space for Barnwell to push the ball into and then finding a team mate to pass the ball to. It was a clever move that I copied over the years when playing football at school or on a park near my home. At the time I thought Barnwell was going to be our key player for our promotion push!

View attachment 87580

You can see McGovern's goal from 0 mins 28 seconds in below video

In the other semi final saw the first ever penalty shootout after Hull and Man U drew 1-1. George Best was the first scorer in the shootout and Denis Law was the first to miss, Ken Wagstaffe then missed for Hull and Ian McKechnie missed Hull's 5th penalty making Man U win by 4-3 on penalties

I think that Watney Cup match at Derby was the only time I went to the Baseball ground.

Peter Howard reporting in the Star wrote a feature about 'United Must Wait For the Pay-Off' - regarding how much money we would receive from the sponsors and a 9000 gate at Aldershot followed by a 25000 gate at Derby.

John Harris said 'The cash will be welcome but I am more delighted with the prospect of competitive play to warm up .....rather than friendlies'.

Shows how football has changed when one considers the money we'll receive from the TV companies now we are in the Premier league.

A statistic from the Derby game - we failed to win a single corner.

I think that Watney Cup match at Derby was the only time I went to the Baseball ground.

Peter Howard reporting in the Star wrote a feature about 'United Must Wait For the Pay-Off' - regarding how much money we would receive from the sponsors and a 9000 gate at Aldershot followed by a 25000 gate at Derby.

John Harris said 'The cash will be welcome but I am more delighted with the prospect of competitive play to warm up .....rather than friendlies'.

Shows how football has changed when one considers the money we'll receive from the TV companies now we are in the Premier league.

A statistic from the Derby game - we failed to win a single corner.
Do you have a scrapbook for that season? I bought one from a stall in Cherry Street car park a few years ago (think it was Open Day)

Do you have a scrapbook for that season? I bought one from a stall in Cherry Street car park a few years ago (think it was Open Day)

I kept a scrapbook for 1968/69 and 1969/70 seasons but gave up on the 1970/71 season after the first few games.

I think your next pre-season friendly is one at Millmoor. I don't have the date.

On another subject. I mentioned Peter Howard reporting on the Blades. He was followed by Tony Pritchett. Was there anyone else between Pritchett and James Shields?

In over 50 years it seems we've not had many.

9/8/1970

My dad showing me a 2nd division table by a Sunday Express reporter who had Blades in first position and Orient (our opponents in 6 days time) at the bottom....

10/8/1970

Friendly match

Rotherham 0 Blades 2 (Currie, Colquhoun)

First time I saw us play in our change kit which were white with red trims and black shorts. I believe my dad and I arrived for the match late and missed TC's opener. I have a clear memory of Colquhoun heading in our 2nd from a Woody corner. We all knew that in 1970 the 2-3-5 formation were already out of fashion for a number of years but the programme editor probably wasnt aware of this!

1597014184142.png

15/8/1970

Orient 3 (Harper, Lazarus 2) Blades 1 (Addison)

My dad decided that Orient was too far for us to go to so he took me to watch Chesterfield v Aston Villa at Saltergate. It was Villa's first ever match in the 3rd tier after getting relegation in the previous season. It was a very warm day and I was stood in the Cross Street end, Kevin Randall and David Pugh (both players in below photo of that match) scored for Chesterfield but Villa scored 3 (McMahon, Rioch 2). My memories of that match was my dad asking the spectators around us who the blond Villa player wearing the number 10 shirt was as he was impressed with him, a spectator near us showed us the line up in the programme and Villa number 10 being Ian Hamilton (when the Blades signed Chico 6 years later, I was excited by the signing remembering him from that match at Saltergate!), my dad pointing out the scoreboard at half time indicating that the Blades were winning 1-0 at Orient and late in the game Chesterfield's keeper, Alan Stevenson, making a good stop from a shot at the Cross Street end but Villa (probably Rioch) netted from the rebound for the 3rd goal.

After the final whistle I didnt get to find out the result of Blades match at Orient, my dad didnt have a radio in his car at the time. When I got home, I was hoping my mum had checked for the Blades score but she didnt so I had to wait until my dad had brought home the Green Un. After tea I spotted a friend (a Wendy fan who lived at the Mason Arms in Dronfield) calling me to come out to play football in the park so I came over to the bottom of the family's garden. I could tell he was looking smug and he was announcing the scores in the same style as Benjamin Bloom "Orient 3 United 1, Wendy 1 Charlton 0". I was gobsmacked that we, being the promotion favourites, had surrendered the half time lead by allowing the relegation favourites to score three past us! Later that evening my dad (I think he had to nip in at work after the match) had come home with the Green Un wondering how to break the shock result to me but I told him that I had alrady known the final score. See photos and report of the match further below.

Randall and Pugh.jpg
Addison's goal just before half time
Addison Orient (2).jpg

Mark Lazarus firing in his first of two goals to put Orient 2-1 ahead

Lazarus Orient (2).jpg

Orient Headline.jpg
Orient report.jpg
Predictions 1970.jpg

15th Aug 1970.PNG

15/8/1970

Orient 3 (Harper, Lazarus 2) Blades 1 (Addison)

My dad decided that Orient was too far for us to go to so he took me to watch Chesterfield v Aston Villa at Saltergate. It was Villa's first ever match in the 3rd tier after getting relegation in the previous season. It was a very warm day and I was stood in the Cross Street end, Kevin Randall and David Pugh (both players in below photo of that match) scored for Chesterfield but Villa scored 3 (McMahon, Rioch 2). My memories of that match was my dad asking the spectators around us who the blond Villa player wearing the number 10 shirt was as he was impressed with him, a spectator near us showed us the line up in the programme and Villa number 10 being Ian Hamilton (when the Blades signed Chico 6 years later, I was excited by the signing remembering him from that match at Saltergate!), my dad pointing out the scoreboard at half time indicating that the Blades were winning 1-0 at Orient and late in the game Chesterfield's keeper, Alan Stevenson, making a good stop from a shot at the Cross Street end but Villa (probably Rioch) netted from the rebound for the 3rd goal.

After the final whistle I didnt get to find out the result of Blades match at Orient, my dad didnt have a radio in his car at the time. When I got home, I was hoping my mum had checked for the Blades score but she didnt so I had to wait until my dad had brought home the Green Un. After tea I spotted a friend (a Wendy fan who lived at the Mason Arms in Dronfield) calling me to come out to play football in the park so I came over to the bottom of the family's garden. I could tell he was looking smug and he was announcing the scores in the same style as Benjamin Bloom "Orient 3 United 1, Wendy 1 Charlton 0". I was gobsmacked that we, being the promotion favourites, had surrendered the half time lead by allowing the relegation favourites to score three past us! Later that evening my dad (I think he had to nip in at work after the match) had come home with the Green Un wondering how to break the shock result to me but I told him that I had alrady known the final score. See photos and report of the match further below.

View attachment 88606
Addison's goal just before half time
View attachment 88607

Mark Lazarus firing in his first of two goals to put Orient 2-1 ahead

View attachment 88608

View attachment 88609
View attachment 88610
View attachment 88611

View attachment 88612
I am shocked that you couldn’t find a headline ‘Lazarus brings Orient back from the dead’.

Even now I'm never that fussed about us starting a season like a house on fire.

The previous 2 seasons (both in the second division) we were quick out of the blocks but then faded. This time round it wasn't a brilliant start but it came good.

Even now I'm never that fussed about us starting a season like a house on fire.

The previous 2 seasons (both in the second division) we were quick out of the blocks but then faded. This time round it wasn't a brilliant start but it came good.
We lost our first two games in 2018/19 too!

Dec 13, 1969- Blades 6 Birmingham 0 . I was at that match and , recently, wrote a short story for a competition, run by Dem Blades, which featured the match. The story involved events before and after the match, rather than the match itself. I could remember the score but none of the scorers. So, thanks to Silent Blade for providing that info. Must say ,though, I still can't picture any of the 6.

Throwing my school satchel on the floor and standing on it, behind the bike sheds, to make me tall enough to reach up and snog Kayleigh Marshall, the best looking girl in our class, (who was a Blade btw - so no need to move this post).

She was a precocious girl.

If she, or her many other boyfriends, husbands or partners are reading this. Don’t worry. It wasn’t YOUR Kayleigh Marshall I’m talking about. I changed the name to protect her privacy and spare your feelings.

(She was called Kay Marshall).

21/8/1970

The Star revealed that Colin Addison had been dropped from our team to play the home game against Swindon in the next day after he had an argument with coach John Short at training during the week. In those days on Fridays the Star would reveal the local teams line ups for the matches in the next day and it revealed that Bill Dearden would be making his league debut in place of Addison. Geoff Salmons was recalled to the team in place of John Flynn.

Having read the news, I knew I would not be able to see the match at Bramall Lane in the next day as my family along with my maternal grandmother made an overnight car journey to Hopton on Sea, near Great Yarmouth. The journey there at that time took much longer than it would have been now. On the way my dad found somewhere to park so he could have a few hours sleep before resuming the journey.

Back
Top Bottom