50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Feeling saaad, feeling bluuue
United twwooo Wednesday twwooo
THEN
onto the pitch came King Tudor, hurray , hurray
onto the pitch came King Tudor, hurray, hurray
he scored a goal and that was it
the Shoreham street they had a fit
and we all went mad as King Tudor scored a goal
HURRAY, HURRAY, HURRAY

I still sing that song to my Grandkids😃

I still sing that song to my Grandkids😃

When my daught was really little I used to sing "the wings of a sparrow song" to her, now she's a bit older it's the "Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankley" song, either that or "Snooker Loopy" :)

30/9/1970

Portsmouth 1 (Munks) Blades 5 (Dearden, Woodward 3, Reece)

1. Crawford
2. Badger
3. Hemsley
4. Powell
5. Tudor
6. Barlow
7. Woodward
8. Salmons
9. Dearden
10. Currie
11. Reece

I dont think I was aware at the time that Colquhoun and Hodgkinson were ruled out of the match due to injury (a worry for us as we were facing Wendy in 3 days time) with Tudor playing at centre back (he played in that position quite a few times when he was at Coventry City) and that Graeme Crawford played in goal (his 2nd 1st team match). It was a surprise to me when I found out about this many years later. I remember being unable to sleep in bed wanting to know the score so I came downstairs to see my dad just arriving home after a night out. He told me that we had won 5-1 which was a delightful surprise and I was aware at the time that we scored 5 past Portsmouth in both league games in the previous season. My dad added that we have climbed up the league table fast.

View attachment 93427

View attachment 93428
View attachment 93429

View attachment 93430
View attachment 93432
Wow, I never realised Johnny Tudor ever played centre back! This was my first season watching the Blades on a fairly regular basis (I was 11 y.o. and reliant on my Dad taking me, usually standing behind the goals on the Bramall Lane End).
I really appreciate your posts Silent, keep them coming!

10/10/1970

Birmingham 0 Blades 1 (Tudor)

Seven days earlier my dad said he wasnt thinking of going to the game but during the week he changed his mind (cant remember what made him change his mind) and decided that we would travel on the Football Special train from the Midland station. It meant that it would be my second away league match (my first was at Leicester in March). Dont remember if the train took us directly to Bordesley station or that we had change trains at New Street?

My dad and I were sat in the upper tier of the Railway End and on our arrival we noticed BBC cameras up in the gantry when looking to our left which meant that it would me my first time watching a Blades match that would have highlights being shown on MOTD that evening. I remember we played well throughout the game and we were rewarded with a goal scored in the 2nd half by John Tudor at the other end of where we sat and how my dad and I celebrated in front of the Birmingham fans. After the game and I think it was at New Street station when my dad had heard from someone that Wendy lost 5-1 at home to Luton (MacDonald 3, Givens 2)and how we laughed.

That evening I stayed over at my Nan's in Hartley Brook Road (my nan had a heart attack 6 days earlier and was staying at the Northern General since then) . My mum allowed me to watch MOTD and at the start of MOTD it would show you near misses of the matches to be shown in the programme at it showed our well worked free kick in the 1st half ending with a shot by Ted Hemsley hitting the bar. Chelsea v Man City was first on but I was still wide awake to see the whole programme and right at the end it replayed Tudor's goal and his celebration in slow motion while the rolling credits were showing on the screen. It felt really good. In the next day I watched the Wendy v Luton match on YTV and then after that the family went over to visit my Nan at a ward in Northern General. All my mum's 5 brothers being Wendy fans, I was rather insensitive wanting to talk about the "Sheffield double" to them while they were more concerned about my grandmother's health!

Brum photo.jpg

Brum headline.jpg
Brum report l.jpg
Brum report r.jpg
Brum report 1.jpg
Brum report 2.jpg
Brum report 3.jpg
Brum star.jpg
1602286567681.png
1602286621823.png

13/10/1970

John Fantham front.png
John Fantham match.png
John Fantham photo.jpg

I can only remember Fantham's goal and my dad saying to me "Hodgy has made this look like a good goal!" He also said there were a lot of aggression between Peter Eustace and Johnny Sissons during the match. Maybe they didnt like each other when they were at West Ham?

I remember going somewhere else (could be The Star offices) to watch a photo exhibition of Fantham's career and then watching a film of the 1966 FA Cup final, not sure if it was in the same evening as the match or on a different night that week?

17/10/1970

Blades 3 (Salmons, Tudor, Currie) Orient 1 (Bullock)

Dont remember much of the first half apart from Orient's goal and it was a good header at the Lane End, dont even remember our disallowed goal. Shortly after half time it seemed that Geoff Salmons tried to play a low cross from the left and it got between centre back Terry Mancini and keeper Ray Goddard and then ending up in the net for the equaliser, not sure if there was a deflection on the way but all the reports in this post said it was a fine goal. John Tudor then scored another vital goal to put us into the lead by firing in a hard shot. TC made it safe with a superb strike, beating two defenders and striking the ball into the top corner.

After the game I was autograph hunting outside the players entrance in John Street and when I was looking at Orient players through the coach windows, I spotted Mark Lazarus giving me a wave and a thumbs up before he invited me into the coach so that I could collect autographs from the Orient players. It was a nice gesture by Mark and ,since then, he has always been one of my favourite players outside SUFC. He will be 82 in two months time and looking him up this week I hadnt realised that in the 1980s he used to be a minder to some of the professional snooker players including Steve Davis.

1st half

Orient 1st half.jpg
Orient disallowed.jpg
Orient Tudor.jpgOrient 1st half.jpgOrient disallowed.jpgOrient Tudor.jpgOrient Headline.jpg
Orient report.jpg
Orient report 2.jpg
Orient Cooper.jpg
Orient Wild1.jpg
Orient Wild2.jpg
1602889844027.png
1602889908633.png
From the programme

Orient Powell.jpg

10/10/1970

Birmingham 0 Blades 1 (Tudor)

Seven days earlier my dad said he wasnt thinking of going to the game but during the week he changed his mind (cant remember what made him change his mind) and decided that we would travel on the Football Special train from the Midland station. It meant that it would be my second away league match (my first was at Leicester in March). Dont remember if the train took us directly to Bordesley station or that we had change trains at New Street?

My dad and I were sat in the upper tier of the Railway End and on our arrival we noticed BBC cameras up in the gantry when looking to our left which meant that it would me my first time watching a Blades match that would have highlights being shown on MOTD that evening. I remember we played well throughout the game and we were rewarded with a goal scored in the 2nd half by John Tudor at the other end of where we sat and how my dad and I celebrated in front of the Birmingham fans. After the game and I think it was at New Street station when my dad had heard from someone that Wendy lost 5-1 at home to Luton (MacDonald 3, Givens 2)and how we laughed.

That evening I stayed over at my Nan's in Hartley Brook Road (my nan had a heart attack 6 days earlier and was staying at the Northern General since then) . My mum allowed me to watch MOTD and at the start of MOTD it would show you near misses of the matches to be shown in the programme at it showed our well worked free kick in the 1st half ending with a shot by Ted Hemsley hitting the bar. Chelsea v Man City was first on but I was still wide awake to see the whole programme and right at the end it replayed Tudor's goal and his celebration in slow motion while the rolling credits were showing on the screen. It felt really good. In the next day I watched the Wendy v Luton match on YTV and then after that the family went over to visit my Nan at a ward in Northern General. All my mum's 5 brothers being Wendy fans, I was rather insensitive wanting to talk about the "Sheffield double" to them while they were more concerned about my grandmother's health!

View attachment 94641

View attachment 94642
View attachment 94643
View attachment 94644
View attachment 94645
View attachment 94646
View attachment 94647
View attachment 94648
View attachment 94649
View attachment 94650

That win at Birmingham was a rarity. I've been seven times to St Andrews and we've lost every time bar one win in '96 when Andy Walker scored the only goal of the game. We lost there in the second replay of the '61 semi final and of course missed out on Europe there with the 0-0 in '75. St Andrews isn't a lucky ground for United.

17/10/1970

Blades 3 (Salmons, Tudor, Currie) Orient 1 (Bullock)

Dont remember much of the first half apart from Orient's goal and it was a good header at the Lane End, dont even remember our disallowed goal. Shortly after half time it seemed that Geoff Salmons tried to play a low cross from the left and it got between centre back Terry Mancini and keeper Ray Goddard and then ending up in the net for the equaliser, not sure if there was a deflection on the way but all the reports in this post said it was a fine goal. John Tudor then scored another vital goal to put us into the lead by firing in a hard shot. TC made it safe with a superb strike, beating two defenders and striking the ball into the top corner.

After the game I was autograph hunting outside the players entrance in John Street and when I was looking at Orient players through the coach windows, I spotted Mark Lazarus giving me a wave and a thumbs up before he invited me into the coach so that I could collect autographs from the Orient players. It was a nice gesture by Mark and ,since then, he has always been one of my favourite players outside SUFC. He will be 82 in two months time and looking him up this week I hadnt realised that in the 1980s he used to be a minder to some of the professional snooker players including Steve Davis.

1st half

View attachment 95200
View attachment 95201
View attachment 95202View attachment 95200View attachment 95201View attachment 95202View attachment 95203
View attachment 95204
View attachment 95205
View attachment 95207
View attachment 95208
View attachment 95209
View attachment 95210
View attachment 95211
From the programme

View attachment 95212
In the interests of competitive threads, I would just point out that 9 games without defeat is nothing compared with 60 years ago, where United are about to win their 8th game in a row...

Report states 'Hodgkinson was often below par..'

Only a matter of months before the great man's position as first choice keeper was over.

What would an injury free Dave Powell be worth today?

I think he used to live on Abbey Lane, new build houses (well new build in the 1960's) near the entrance to Hutcliffe Wood cemetery.

We missed him in the following season as we were two class players short of reaching the top of the division. Had he not been injured , we could have finished higher than 10th

I sometimes wonder how far that team of the early 70s could have gone if Powell and McAllister had not had the bad injuries and also throw into the mix if we hadn't sold Mick Jones.

Powell for Flynn, Silent, but who would you have looked to replace (or which position to strengthen) to better the team with that one more class player?

I sometimes wonder how far that team of the early 70s could have gone if Powell and McAllister had not had the bad injuries and also throw into the mix if we hadn't sold Mick Jones.

Powell for Flynn, Silent, but who would you have looked to replace (or which position to strengthen) to better the team with that one more class player?
In February 1972 we should have signed a strong tackling midfielder to replace Hockey when he broke his leg. I wasnt sure about Stewart Scullion, he started well but became less effective after the 2-0 defeat at Man U.

Did Scullion play left wing or up front? That team was slightly before my time but have it in my head they played a 4-4-? but could never work out the role of Salmons and Scullion (and Reece before him) ... was Salmons on the left of midfield with Scullion/Reece in a bit of a free role up front?

Did Scullion play left wing or up front? That team was slightly before my time but have it in my head they played a 4-4-? but could never work out the role of Salmons and Scullion (and Reece before him) ... was Salmons on the left of midfield with Scullion/Reece in a bit of a free role up front?
More like the below.

Salmons played more deep than Scullion did but Salmons often used his pace and skill attacking the left wing. Scullion often roamed around between the midfield and attack looking for the ball, then trying to dribble past players and shooting (his shooting efforts often went over the bar). Reece was more of a team player and was good at timing his runs to meet crosses in the box. Out of the players below , only Flynn and Salmons were left footed (Reece was right footed). Our style was more like, winning the ball, pass it to Currie who will use his vision to create an attacking chance by feeding to Woody on the right or pass it to Salmons or play a through ball to Dearden. It was more of a 433 formation

1602968987526.png

20/10/1970

Blades 2 (Colquhoun, Dearden) Bolton 2 (Hulme, Phillips)

Blades team ; Hodgkinson, Badger, Hemsley, Powell, Colquhoun, Addison, Woodward, Tudor, Dearden, Currie, Salmons. sub Heaton (for Hemsley)

Bolton; Boswell, Ritson, Farrimond, Williams, Hurley, Hulme, Taylor, Byrom, Fletcher, Rimmer, Phillips.

I remember the ref being Ron Capey who had hit the sports headline a month earlier for allowing a goal that wasnt to stand in the Chelsea v Ipswich game (see video below)

The ref's decisions that evening at Bramall Lane brought frustrations to the players and the crowd too. I remember Woody about to take a throw in, the ref blew his whistle and indicated that it was a throw in for the visitors, Woody's response was to throw the ball down in frustration and he got a talking to. The reaction by the fans in the BLUT showed a lot of anger when Addison got booked for dissent (I think) later in the game. The only goal I remember was Bolton's 2nd equaliser and Len Badger falling on his knees and put both his hands on his face in horror as his heading backpass went short for Phillips to run on and score. It was a big disappointment that we had dropped a home point to a poor side.

Bolton Colquhoun.jpg

Bolton headline.jpgBolton Colquhoun.jpgBolton headline.jpgBolton report.jpg
Bolton report2.jpg
Bolton Star.jpg
Previous day's results
1603148581091.png
Tuesday's results
1603148417269.png

Next day's results
1603148646530.png
1603148730813.png

From the programme

Bolton Badger.jpg
Bolton Woody.jpg
Bolton club.jpg

I would like to say thanks to a Blade in Canada called Stephen (he reads the posts in here) for providing me photos from the Bristol City and Bolton programmes as I have mislaid both programmes somewhere in my house.

That win at Birmingham was a rarity. I've been seven times to St Andrews and we've lost every time bar one win in '96 when Andy Walker scored the only goal of the game. We lost there in the second replay of the '61 semi final and of course missed out on Europe there with the 0-0 in '75. St Andrews isn't a lucky ground for United.
Since that game in 1975 at St. Andrews, we've only won one other time there aside from the game you were at when Walker scored the winner. We won there 2-0 on Boxing Day 1999 with Devlin and Martin Smith scoring.

Hull Teams.jpg
I am afraid the 1970-71 scrapbook I have doesnt have the match report of our match at top of the table Hull City.

My dad and I travelled to the match on the Football Special train from the Midland station, not sure if it took us to Hull train station or to Boothferry Park Halt station but I remember getting a bus to the ground and a middle aged Hull fan was telling me that Ken Wagstaff was going to score and that we would lose 2-0. In the last 50 years when I think of Hull City, I picture Wagstaff's cherub face and receiving handshake congratulations from his team mates after scoring a goal. He scored over 300 career goals in 16 years playing for only Mansfield and Hull City and could easily have played in the top division. He always scored goals in a smooth and calm way.

There was only one change in our line up. Mick Heaton came in for Ted Hemsley who was probably injured. I read that Heaton was a good amateur gymnast and I remember noticing his sort of robotic dance style when he is in control of the ball and then goes into a swivel before releasing the ball. I only realised today that Stuart Pearson (later played for Man U and West Ham) was playing for Hull that day.

I was sat in the stand opposite where both goals were scored. Early in the game, Wagstaff broke through our defence, Hodgy came out of the goal but was fooled by Wagstaff's feint and dived to the ground, Wagstaff found space between Hodgy and the near post before coolly rolling the ball into the net, many Hull fans in front of me stood up to celebrate early blocking my view of the ball entering the net. In the 2nd half we equalised with a mishit shot by Currie (see from 2 mins 42 secs from below video) after Hull half cleared a long throw by Salmons (not sure what a cheeky Hull fan was trying to do behind him). The Hull defence stood still watching the ball travel slowly through them. A dropped point didnt change positions in the 2nd division table for both Hull (1st) and Blades (4th)

During half time the scoreboard at the ground revealed that, bottom of the 1st division. Blackpool were leading 3-0 against FA Cup holders Chelsea. On the way back home in the train I saw in a Saturday evening paper that Chelsea had won 4-3!

Hull v Blades 1970.jpg
Hull Badger.png
Hull Salmons.png
Hull Goalmouth.png
Hull Powell.jpg
1603494371480.png
1603494458148.png

View attachment 95805
I am afraid the 1970-71 scrapbook I have doesnt have the match report of our match at top of the table Hull City.

My dad and I travelled to the match on the Football Special train from the Midland station, not sure if it took us to Hull train station or to Boothferry Park Halt station but I remember getting a bus to the ground and a middle aged Hull fan was telling me that Ken Wagstaff was going to score and that we would lose 2-0. In the last 50 years when I think of Hull City, I picture Wagstaff's cherub face and receiving handshake congratulations from his team mates after scoring a goal. He scored over 300 career goals in 16 years playing for only Mansfield and Hull City and could easily have played in the top division. He always scored goals in a smooth and calm way.

There was only one change in our line up. Mick Heaton came in for Ted Hemsley who was probably injured. I read that Heaton was a good amateur gymnast and I remember noticing his sort of robotic dance style when he is in control of the ball and then goes into a swivel before releasing the ball. I only realised today that Stuart Pearson (later played for Man U and West Ham) was playing for Hull that day.

I was sat in the stand opposite where both goals were scored. Early in the game, Wagstaff broke through our defence, Hodgy came out of the goal but was fooled by Wagstaff's feint and dived to the ground, Wagstaff found space between Hodgy and the near post before coolly rolling the ball into the net, many Hull fans in front of me stood up to celebrate early blocking my view of the ball entering the net. In the 2nd half we equalised with a mishit shot by Currie (see from 2 mins 42 secs from below video) after Hull half cleared a long throw by Salmons (not sure what a cheeky Hull fan was trying to do behind him). The Hull defence stood still watching the ball travel slowly through them. A dropped point didnt change positions in the 2nd division table for both Hull (1st) and Blades (4th)

During half time the scoreboard at the ground revealed that, bottom of the 1st division. Blackpool were leading 3-0 against FA Cup holders Chelsea. On the way back home in the train I saw in a Saturday evening paper that Chelsea had won 4-3!

View attachment 95808
View attachment 95809
View attachment 95810
View attachment 95811
View attachment 95812
View attachment 95813
View attachment 95814

Bert also went on that Football Special. Stopped right next to the ground.

31/10/1970

Blades 2 (Dearden, Tudor) Carlisle 2 (Balderstone, Ternent)

It was a shocker that we had dropped a point when we were leading 2-0 with 10 minutes left.

All the goals were scored at the Kop End and viewing the BLUT, my dad and I thought our first goal was from a Woodward cross shot. It was from when we read the match report in the Green Un that evening, we learned that Dearden got the final touch from Woody's cross.

CarlisleDearden.jpg

Tudor increased our lead heading in a Woodward corner

CarlisleTudor.jpg

Footballer/Cricketer Chris Balderstone fired in Carlisle's first from the right. Mick Heaton (our stand in left back) was criticised in the paper report for allowing Balderstone the chance but I dont remember the mistake. A few minutes later Neil Warnock's friend, Stan Ternent equalised for Carlisle, Interesting to see that Bob Hatton was playing for Carlisle in that match.

Carlisle1sthalf.jpg
CarlisleStarphoto.jpg

CarlisleStar1.jpg
CarlisleStar2.jpg
CarlisleStanley1.jpg
CarlisleStanley2.jpg
CarlisleStanley3.jpg
CarlisleCorbett1.jpg
Carlisle Corbett2.jpg

CarlisleCorbett3.jpg
1604102415244.png
1604102470405.png
From the programme
CarlisleHemsley.jpg

3/11/1970

1969/70 County Cup Semi Final Replay
Barnsley 3 (Loyden 3) Blades 2 (Addison, Woodward)

Barnsley: Arblaster, Murphy, Booth, McPhee, Winstanley, Howard, Lea, Dean, Loyden, K Brown, F Sharp. Sub: Boughen for Winstanley 68mins

United: Hodgkinson, Badger, Heaton, Powell, Colquhoun, Addison, Woodward, Tudor, Reece, Barnwell, Salmons. Unused sub: Mackenzie

I had high hopes that we would win the match because we were two divisions above Barnsley and I was shocked reading in the papers that we had lost despite leading 2-0 at half time. My dad laughed at my reaction and told me that the County Cup isnt an important competition.

It was Mick Heatons last 1st team game for us. A year later he was signed by Ken Furphy at Blackburn and he did well there. He had quite a lot of success working as the assistant manager and coach under Howard Kendall at Blackburn, Everton and Man City. He died after a road accident at Oswaldtwistle in 1995.

An interesting long article below about Mick's football career.

View attachment 95805

View attachment 95808
View attachment 95809
View attachment 95810
View attachment 95811
View attachment 95812
View attachment 95813
View attachment 95814

Can’t wait for the report on the return fixture - my first ever.

Thanks, Silent, for the Link above regarding Mick Heaton. Recommended reading, inmo. I saw him play , for us, in the late 60's-a solid performer. He played surprisingly few games in his 7 years at The Lane. The competition, at full back ,was stiff though in the sixties. Obviously, a popular man on and off the field. I didn't realise he had died until reading this very well written article. However, I was working abroad from 1994- 1999 which , probably, explains it as he was , tragically ,killed in 1995.

I remember the Newspaper ( The People ? ) responsible for the ' Coldwell blunder " headline after the Carlisle match apologizing the week after after it was made clear it was John Harris decision to make the substitution.

7/11/1970

Blackburn 1 (Russell) Blades 3 (Currie, Powell (pen), Dearden)

My dad decided in the morning that we head off to Ewood Park but he then parked his car on the path off Lea Road in Dronfield (where Ted Hemsley had a Turf Accountant shop some years later) , he told me to stay in the car while he goes in the Midland pub (now Dronfield Arm) as "two or three" Blades were keen in going to the match. I waited ages in the car and eventually my dad came out with two big men who didnt seem familiar to me , both of them greeted me when they got in the car as if they knew me. I may have met them before but I couldnt remember. They were Ray "Nip" Hague and Graham Beresford who I got to know quite well in the next few years as they often travelled in the same coach, organised by the Dronfield SUSC branch, as me. Both were well known Dronfield Blades over the years. I also knew Graham's two brothers Jimmy (RIP) and Roger (now lives in Buxton, I think) who also travelled to away matches in the same coach as me. I have never met anyone who hated Wendy as much as Nip did. A few years later one Sunday afternoon watching the "New Faces" programme on tv he got really incensed that the "Save our Owls" band appeared in the programme so he trashed his own tv by kicking it!

Either due to setting off Dronfield late or that the traffic on the way to Ewood Park was so bad, we missed seeing the whole of the 1st half. I went straight to the toilet as soon as we got in the ground and my dad had heard from someone that we were leading by a goal meaning that we missed Currie's goal. For the whole of the 2nd half I was stood right in front (near to the goal) of what is now called the Ronnie Clayton End or the Bryan Douglas End. Early in the second half at the other end , a Blackburn chance was half cleared, and the ball fell to Alex Russell outside the box and he didnt have a clean strike of the ball, Hodgy had the shot covered but he let the ball roll slowly over his outstretched arms. It was a poor goal to concede. Soon after Billy Dearden broke away and got tripped in the box as he was about to shoot. It was a clear penalty that would have been a red card offence nowadays but I dont think the defender got a booking. I hadnt really realised that it was to be the first time I saw our player taking a penalty (only realised that in the last few years), the last penalty we had was in the 5-0 home win against Villa in Nov 1969. I turned to my dad asking him who was going to take the penalty, he wasnt sure! Then we saw Dave Powell pick the ball up and walked to put the ball on the spot. I wasnt expecting a defender to take the penalty. Powell converted the spot kick like he did in the Villa match 12 months earlier. The paper report stated that the keeper almost saved Powell's penalty but I dont remember it being like that. I cant remember our third goal scored by Dearden.

Nip passed away over 10 years ago and I have not seen Graham since 2007.

BlackburnTurner1.jpg
BlackburnTurner2.jpg
BlackburnTurner3.jpg
BlackburnTurner4.jpg
BlackburnTurner5.jpg
BlackburnTownsend1.jpg
BlackburnTownsend2.jpg
BlackburnDawson1.jpg
BlackburnDawson2.jpg
BlackburnStar1.jpg
BlackburnStar2.jpg
1604707615944.png
1604707690601.png

It’s nice to see in many of the match reports , the reporters at the time appreciating TC’s work rate and energy .

This is an aspect of his game which often gets overlooked but one which contributed massively to his all round effectiveness as a player . Many are the times I’ve seen him take the ball off an opposing player in our own penalty area and then carry it fully 60 or 70 yards before delivering the perfect pass to set up a goal scoring opportunity for Woody or Billy D .

Down the years there have been other players in English football who could just about match his sublime skills but only a very small number who combined both qualities and they were among the true greats , as was TC himself .

Back
Top Bottom